The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mallinder extends stay at Saints

+7
yappysnap
nathan
flankertye
bluestonevedder
formerly known as Sam
beshocked
LondonTiger
11 posters

Go down

Mallinder extends stay at Saints Empty Mallinder extends stay at Saints

Post by LondonTiger Thu May 17, 2012 12:45 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18105023

I rate Mallinder highly as a coach. however I do feel that most coach/club relationships have a limited life span (Alex Ferguson excepted) and wonder if Mallinder has perhaps reached a point at Saints where he can do no more?

Interesting that the new contract is to 2015 - meaning he would be available when Lancaster's contract comes up for renewal.

also what are the 4 trophies won by saints in his 5 years?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Mallinder extends stay at Saints Empty Re: Mallinder extends stay at Saints

Post by beshocked Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 pm

One was the European Challenge Cup in 2008/9. In the 2009/10 they picked up the LV cup.

They came top of league 1 in 2007/8 season so that might be another trophy.

They also won the league 1 version of the LV cup in the same season.

4 trophies in 5 seasons looks impressive on paper but they were all minor competitions.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 pm

He took Saints from a dark place and has rejuvinated them very well. He needs to really kick on and has struggled this year with all the call ups and injuries. Some good talent coming through though. He just needs to be clever in his transfer dealings and next year could be a good year for Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 pm

I rate Mallinder very highly, and think he's been fantastic for Saints. Excellent news for Saints fans that he's committed himself for further years. I agree that he's struggled this year, primarily due to international call-ups, injuries, and bans, but think Saints will put down a serious marker next year.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 17, 2012 2:36 pm

but think Saints will put down a serious marker next year

I think some clever signings need to be made in the off season what with Tonks, Long, Wilson, Downey and Ashton out the door. They've brought in Luther Burrell and Ashley Johnson at 12 and 8 which whilst covering to leaving players should leave them some cash left over for critical strengthening elsewhere. Ashton leaving shouldn't be too critical as they still have Diggin, Artimyev, Cato and Elliot as wing options plus Armstrong though I don't really rate him he offers cover.

There is a real need for another backrow option and possibly an additional lock depending on how confident they are with Craig playing lock and how often Harrison and Nutely should be used next season. A veteran 7 similar to Betson at Wasps the other year would be a perfect signing for them. The issues at 10 have to be sorted out as well as the rotation of Lamb and Myler is plainly not working.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I agree Sam, the addition of a good 7 would be a great signing for them- it would allow Nutley to continue learning the skills. Saints have good depth in the backs, and I've been impressed with Elliot. It's about time Cato started to fire on all cylinders too. There have been glimpses of his promise, so I hope he becomes more consistent. Diggin is just the perennial deliverer, and Armtimyev is a very decent player.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu May 17, 2012 4:51 pm

I thought Johnson had signed for wasps?
Could this mean we'll be seeing more of Tom Wood at 8 when and if he recovers?
Or the American lock/8 will be seeing more time at 8.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu May 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Yeah sorry it's Gerrit-Jan van Velze that's gone to Saints. Knew it was a SA number 8 but typed the wrong one.

Could this mean we'll be seeing more of Tom Wood at 8 when and if he recovers?
Or the American lock/8 will be seeing more time at 8.

Samu Manoa? I think he will be lock/blindside and Wood will stay at 7 but with Dowson covering 6,7,8 and Clark covering 5,6,7.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu May 17, 2012 5:10 pm

i think they should get rid of Myler or Lamb and get another 10 in that from a completely different mold.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu May 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't think Saints need any new signings. Or at least signings wont help too much next season.

What they need to figure out is the tactics that they want to use, wether they want to be tearing up the pitch playing an offloading high tempo game plan or if they want a territory based power game.

Right now they seem really confused with this, highlighted by their changes at fly half. They need to figure out who their first choice 10 is an stick with them if neither work then jettison and get in a player that can work the game plan that they want.

In this Mallinder has failed completely as they have plenty of good players but just don't know how to use them a lot of the time.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Thu May 17, 2012 7:14 pm

nathan wrote:i think they should get rid of Myler or Lamb and get another 10 in that from a completely different mold.

I agree, we really need to sort out who is playing flyhalf as we need a better 10 than Myler or Lamb if we are actually to challenge for the Premiership.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu May 17, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm glad he's re-signed. I think the Saints game plan is well known, strong carriers from the forwards and centers and then fast ball to the back 3 (and to an extent Pisi). In theory Lamb is better suited to the fast ball / back 3 game plan but he reverted to his old flakey self after Christmas. Marler is solid but mostly unspectacular.

Depending on future signings I think next season will be a re-building one as Wilson and Downey have been critical to the Saints style of play for such a long time. Wilson is replaced (although I agree an out and out experienced 7 would be good) but a new strong ball carrying 12 is an absolute must. Although it's not going to happen I would love JM to sign Jean De Villiers - I think his strong carrying, good defense and leadership skills are just what is required for next season. Not going to happen though.

Last edited by B91212 on Thu May 17, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Nothing to see here, please move along!)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu May 17, 2012 7:57 pm

B91212 wrote:I'm glad he's resigned.

Make up your mind - I thought he was staying.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu May 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Make up your mind - I thought he was staying.
I have no idea what you are talking about Whistle.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Mallinder is a good coach. As said above he brought Saints back to the Premiership, and then back to respectability. Top 4, and in the Premiership playoffs the last 3 years. Heineken Cup final last year. Saints had, I believe, the same Premiership points the last two seasons. Although we want more - that one extra last step - this is a good place to be.

Not too bad.
Not too bad at all.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down