The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Rugby - Glen Jackson

+6
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
red_stag
Biltong
aucklandlaurie
niwatts
10 posters

Go down

Super Rugby - Glen Jackson Empty Super Rugby - Glen Jackson

Post by niwatts Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 am

I was reading an article on ex-player referees that mentioned Glen Jackson's fast tracking through the NZ system and was wondering what the opinion has been on his performances?

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Super Rugby - Glen Jackson Empty Re: Super Rugby - Glen Jackson

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri May 18, 2012 12:59 am

Personally what I like about Jackson is that he has a real good feel for the game, and not all ex players bring this with them when they pick up the whistle.

However there appears to be some that dont share my enthusiasm for the guy. Tonight he is running the line in Wellington,and Mark Lawrenve has been given the honours,Tomorrow night he's running the line again in Chridchurch this time with Bryce Lawrence officiating,I think he's better than both of them, and this is his first year reffing at this level.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 18, 2012 7:48 am

I think he is better than a number of current super XV referees, I have to be honest, I think it was the sharks vs hurricanes match where I found him being harsh on the sharks at the brekadown.

What he does do well though is being decisive and doesn't hesitate, whether right or wrong, you need your players to know you are confident in your decision making.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like he is making a reasonably good start.

As an ex-player do you think the attitude of the players on the pitch is different to how they normally are with referees?

Also biltong, you say he was being a bit harsh on the Sharks at the breakdown, do you think that was down to lack of understanding coming from a back's perspective, or him just being a bit of a stickler? And in a similar vein, how is he at scrum time?

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 18, 2012 10:51 am

niwatts, probably not just down to him, the sharks didn't adapt to the way he interpreted the rucks, although in my opinion there were a few calls that wasn't consistent.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 am

Niwatts,

Don't forget that some referees like Alan Rolland and John Lacey (both IRFU) were former professional players. Rolland played internationally for Ireland and Lacey play Heineken Cup for Munster and 7s for Ireland.

I think also one of the Changlings from Scotland was an international player.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

From the matches I have seen Jackson officiate, he has done pretty well. I suppose as a former out half he would have good field awareness and have that good vision knowing what is going on around him. He does seem decisive and communicates well with the teams.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

niwatts, probably not just down to him, the sharks didn't adapt to the way he interpreted the rucks, although in my opinion there were a few calls that wasn't consistent.

Consistentcy is the big one for me. As long as the ref is consistent the players can adapt even if they don't agree with his interpretation. If he's inconsistent it will become a farce.

Was that the Sharks game with the big punch up? I remember his officiating that quite well, the touch judges refusal to make a decision let him down but his reactions to the continuation of play and asking the tj to keep an eye on what was going on off the ball was good.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 am

Sam, I can't remember whether there was a punch up, it was right in the beginning of the comp.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri May 18, 2012 7:06 pm

red_stag wrote:Niwatts,

Don't forget that some referees like Alan Rolland and John Lacey (both IRFU) were former professional players. Rolland played internationally for Ireland and Lacey play Heineken Cup for Munster and 7s for Ireland.

I think also one of the Changlings from Scotland was an international player.

True red_stag, though I guess what I was getting at was that having been such a recent player (admittedly 8 years since last at the Chiefs) he would be someone the older players might have played against or the younger had seen play as teens, and therefore considered more of a peer.

Thanks again for all the opinions guys, they seem generally positive, it'll be interesting how he progresses and what occurs on the international front.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon May 21, 2012 2:19 am

I reckon he's been good overall
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by captainrapido Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Whilst it isn't saying much at my level, Glen Jackson is the best referee I've ever been officiated by. He was very clear, decisive, fair and consistent with us - made you appreciate how difficult refereeing really is. It seemed like the fast-track programme he'd been on allowed him to make the transition from player to ref pretty well. I think he was actually involved in training as a referee during his last season at Saracens. Having now seen him in the Super XV it seems like he's continued in the same vein - I think he's done really well personally.

captainrapido

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon May 21, 2012 2:35 pm

I've been impressed by Chris Pollock as well. You SH guys are lucky to have such good standard of officiating in your comps... while we're stuck with Peter Fitzgibbon, James Jones and Neil Paterson Erm

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 pm

gowales wrote:I've been impressed by Chris Pollock as well. You SH guys are lucky to have such good standard of officiating in your comps... while we're stuck with Peter Fitzgibbon, James Jones and Neil Paterson Erm

Now now, we've also got Bryce Lawrence and Stu Dickenson Crying or Very sad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue May 22, 2012 7:20 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
gowales wrote:I've been impressed by Chris Pollock as well. You SH guys are lucky to have such good standard of officiating in your comps... while we're stuck with Peter Fitzgibbon, James Jones and Neil Paterson Erm

Now now, we've also got Bryce Lawrence and Stu Dickenson Crying or Very sad

Super Rugby - Glen Jackson Roflbl10

Sad

Crying or Very sad

Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down