The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new world club champions

+16
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Geordie
Mickado
fa0019
Feckless Rogue
Portnoy
nathan
BoyneRFC
LordDowlais
kiakahaaotearoa
emack2
Biltong
gowales
Thomond
Adam D
cardiffcider
20 posters

Go down

new world club champions  Empty new world club champions

Post by cardiffcider Sun 20 May 2012, 7:22 pm

just a thought it would be great to see who are the best the winners of the heineken cup play a one of game each season against the winners of the super 15 to be played at the beginning of our season. a one of game each year once in the southern hemesphere and then northern changing each year make it a world club cup like they have in football would be a big crowd puller any thoughts

cardiffcider

Back to top Go down

new world club champions  Empty Re: new world club champions

Post by Adam D Sun 20 May 2012, 7:34 pm

Welcome to the board CC OK

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cardiffcider Sun 20 May 2012, 7:39 pm

Adam D wrote:Welcome to the board CC OK

thank you

cardiffcider

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 20 May 2012, 8:08 pm

I don't know if the schedule would allow it but people have been wanting it for a while alright. Leinster v Reds would have been the sexiest rugby ever.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by cardiffcider Sun 20 May 2012, 8:18 pm

Thomond wrote:I don't know if the schedule would allow it but people have been wanting it for a while alright. Leinster v Reds would have been the sexiest rugby ever.

thats why i thought the beginning of our season and the end of the southern hemisphere make it a charity trophy that would certainly bring the money in we can only dream

cardiffcider

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 21 May 2012, 9:03 am

Reds would have won easily

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by cardiffcider Mon 21 May 2012, 9:12 am

gowales wrote:Reds would have won easily

dont think so have watched the super 15 this year and im not that impressed this leinster will take some beating i would opt for leinster

cardiffcider

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 9:14 am

Thomond wrote:I don't know if the schedule would allow it but people have been wanting it for a while alright. Leinster v Reds would have been the sexiest rugby ever.

They not going to wear pink are they?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 21 May 2012, 9:15 am

cardiffcider wrote:
gowales wrote:Reds would have won easily

dont think so have watched the super 15 this year and im not that impressed this leinster will take some beating i would opt for leinster

I'm talking about last year, of course this year Reds wouldn't do well at all because of their ridiculous injury list

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 21 May 2012, 9:21 am

nice thing about this debate is that you can't be wrong, as in all likely hood this will never happen. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 21 May 2012, 9:57 am

A World Club Match could be scheduled EVERY year as a one of in some where like Japan or Hong Kong.HOW good were the Reds playing away last year,how many easy points did they pick up in the Australian Conference?Super Rugby because of the travel factor is almost always a home win between the top sides.
Finish top of the log you get a home qtr,semi,and final a HUGE advantage in Super Rugby.THAT is not knocking the Reds,Bulls,Crusaders or any of the Super series winners.But from memory only one Team has managed to win away in another country.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 21 May 2012, 3:33 pm

The Crusaders won in Canberra and in Auckland and are the only team to win it with an unblemished season. Not super relevant to this thread but thought it was worth mentioning nonetheless. Yahoo

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 21 May 2012, 4:47 pm

I would prefer to see a charity shield type event when the winner of the Rabbo plays the winner of the Aviva. It would be a nice curtain raiser to each of our seasons, oh and some bragging rights on these boards. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Mon 21 May 2012, 4:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I would prefer to see a charity shield type event when the winner of the Rabbo plays the winner of the Aviva. It would be a nice curtain raiser to each of our seasons, oh and some bragging rights on these boards. Rolling Eyes

Heineken Cup anyone?

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 21 May 2012, 5:03 pm

BoyneRFC wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I would prefer to see a charity shield type event when the winner of the Rabbo plays the winner of the Aviva. It would be a nice curtain raiser to each of our seasons, oh and some bragging rights on these boards. Rolling Eyes

Heineken Cup anyone?

Well that's not always the winner of the leagues, is it?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 21 May 2012, 5:20 pm

Strangely I recall a post like this almost every year since about the millennium.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 21 May 2012, 5:29 pm

If this hypothetically existed, Leicester 01/02, Toulouse 05 and Leinster 11/12 would have been the only European sides with a chance over the years I reckon.

I think Leinster would have beaten the Reds last year. Bulls would have crushed us in '09. I don't doubt Crusaders would have an utterly dominant record in this over the years.

The thing is though, the seasons are not in sync, so it could never be a level playing field in terms of preparation. One side would have to come together after an off season and the others would be in full rhythm.

So it can only ever be hypothetical wondering. So nobody's opinion can be wrong.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 21 May 2012, 5:32 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:If this hypothetically existed, Leicester 01/02, Toulouse 05 and Leinster 11/12 would have been the only European sides with a chance over the years I reckon.

I think Leinster would have beaten the Reds last year. Bulls would have crushed us in '09. I don't doubt Crusaders would have an utterly dominant record in this over the years.

The thing is though, the seasons are not in sync, so it could never be a level playing field in terms of preparation. One side would have to come together after an off season and the others would be in full rhythm.

So it can only ever be hypothetical wondering. So nobody's opinion can be wrong.

The RWC is never 'in sych'. Should be played in NH years in June.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 21 May 2012, 6:05 pm

I think there would be much financial incentives... the match could be played in a neutral venue lets say Dubai... they're always happy to host these types of games. The problem is when...

The schedule is too packed... there would be no time to play the match.

SR finishes in August... by then we're straight into the 4Ns and then the AIs in Europe.

The only time I could see it happening would be inbetween the SR season and near the end of the HC season the year after... but given teams will not want to sacrifice players, injuries, fatigue etc it would almost certainly be ruled out.

Leinster would have beaten the reds last year... but the bulls before that, I'm not so sure....they would be too strong upfront IMO.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 21 May 2012, 7:33 pm

Unless we have a global rugby calendar it won't happen, bu that's not beyond the realms of possibility in the not too distant future.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 21 May 2012, 8:02 pm

Sorry like.,..but this Leinster side would walk over any current S15 team....

They are very special....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 21 May 2012, 9:38 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Sorry like.,..but this Leinster side would walk over any current S15 team....

The Crusaders have a better front row and loose forwards, the back three are pretty even, and Dan Carter is on form. Leinster might edge it at home.

My combined Crusaders/Leinster XV would have Thorn, O'Brien and (possibly) Healy in the pack, and BOD & Nacewa in the backs.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 22 May 2012, 1:31 am

Which side would Thorn play for?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 22 May 2012, 1:48 am

nganboy wrote:Which side would Thorn play for?

Both at the same time.

If anyone can he can.

Leinster players and Irish media have been gushing about him in the last few days. There's so much respect for him. His record plus his humble personality has charmed everyone. I think he's liking his short term at Leinster. He's been blessed to play in so many special teams.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0521/1224316453689.html

Leinster’s style of play has impressed him just as much as the team’s culture. “It’s outstanding, it’s very positive,” he says. “It’s not about negative play.

“This experience with Leinster, it’s cool. You go out there and you play rugby. You’re not going out there to put the other team off, you’re going out there to see how good you can be. I like that.”
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 22 May 2012, 5:06 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Sorry like.,..but this Leinster side would walk over any current S15 team....

No chance. The Crusaders, Bulls, Stormers and the Reds on the their day would easily beat Leinster. I'm not buying this hype.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 22 May 2012, 6:03 am

More importantly than any of that:

Does Cardiff actually make cider?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 22 May 2012, 4:08 pm

You always get into the: What part of a season are we at our best?

Are you at your peak at the end of a season? Are you tired? Are you not ready at the beginning of a season? Are you not match fit/savvy enough?

That's the problem with all these SH/NH jousts - supporters can always seek excuses (real or imaginary) to suggest there wasn't a level playing field. And believe me, in such an encounter between the best club side in Europe V the best in the SH, there would need to be a level playing field to sell it to the respective clubs as a lot of reputation would be riding on it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 22 May 2012, 5:00 pm

gowales wrote:

No chance. The Crusaders, Bulls, Stormers and the Reds on the their day would easily beat Leinster. I'm not buying this hype.

Leinster hammered the Reds in a friendly a few seasons back. Their 3rd string team beat the Rebels in a friendly at the start of this season. I think you're wrong anyway and I think people are over hyping super rugby. Leinster would beat Ireland at the moment and Ireland beat Australia despite being coached by a dinosaur.

The top non international super rugby players are all playing in Europe so that weakens the super rugby teams.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue 22 May 2012, 5:05 pm

profitius wrote:
gowales wrote:

Leinster hammered the Reds in a friendly a few seasons back. Their 3rd string team beat the Rebels in a friendly at the start of this season. I think you're wrong anyway and I think people are over hyping super rugby. Leinster would beat Ireland at the moment and Ireland beat Australia despite being coached by a dinosaur.

The top non international super rugby players are all playing in Europe so that weakens the super rugby teams.

Having just searched that friendly on google. It was in August 2008 when the Reds came 12th... 2009 they came 13th... So i don't think that's really fair, they've only started to become good the last 2/3 seasons. At the end of the day most of the SH internationls play in Super rugby, most of them are better than what the NH has to offer, even the might Leinster!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 22 May 2012, 6:59 pm

profitius wrote:
gowales wrote:

You can't quote individual games and draw conclusions from them. Australia also hammered France in France and Ireland seem incapable of beating France and Leinster might well have their work cut out beating them too. Leinster might well beat many Super teams but it's all hypothesis as they're never in a competition together. Pre-season friendlies don't mean jack. A Super team is not going to reveal its A game so soon.

The Heineken Cup is a great comp and it's got some very good teams. Leinster are worthy champions. Let the team do the talking.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down