The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread

+31
John Cregan
Leff
Postie
Equo Troiano
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
Josiah Maiestas
Jennifer1984
Trebs
Gregers
ian_jamsie
Thomond
Hibbz
bretmeharty
lorus59
mystiroakey
super_realist
compelling and rich
JamesLincs
two_tone
The Special Juan
Stella
TopHat24/7
Crimey
owen10ozzy
monty junior
Liam
GSC
Derbyblue
cherriesfna
Duty281
35 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread - Page 4 Empty The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 May 2012, 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

46 years of hurt will end on the 1 July 2012 for this is England's time! The foreign enemy will pale at the sight of England's mighty warriors who will all be heroes over the next 6 weeks and become legends.

Yes, many may point to weaknesses in the squad but what do I see?

I see a team with quite possibly the greatest keeper in the World at the moment. A team with the greatest left back in the world. A defence full of men, full of leaders and full of warriors that will fight for the cause! A midfield general by the name of Steven Gerrard - a Champions League winner - who will lead England to that next step. Backing him will be another Champions League winner, Frank Lampard who has played against the best this season and beaten them and Scotty Parker, the glue in England's midfield. A team that has two very exciting and talented wingers - the Ox and Ashley Young who could be as great as John Barnes and Paul Gascoigne respectfully. A strikeforce led by Wayne Rooney who is one of the best and the most feared in the World at the minute backed up by his clubmate Danny Welbeck and a proven international goalscorer Jermain Defoe. The fearless band of players will be led by the impeccable Roy Hodgson, a man with international experience and someone who's actually English.

Then I take a look at the other 15 teams in the tournament and this is what I see:

France - Terrible World Cup and going nowhere fast. 1-0 England.
Sweden - Didn't qualify for the last World Cup. Next.
Ukraine - A test as their on home soil but I would still back England.

And the rest:

Poland - Won't make it out of their group.
Greece - Read above.
Russia - Probably won't meet England but if they do a 2-0 victory for England.
Czech Republic - Read above.

Holland - Tough but not good defensively, 2-1 England if the two ever should meet.
Denmark - Won't make it past the group stages.
Germany - Possible semi-final, don't think a dodgy Uruguayan will deny England this time.
Portugal - Will be edged out by Holland in the group. Bye bye Ronaldo, don't cry.

Spain - Tap, tap, tap. Play like Barca and will crumble like Barca as well.
Italy - Probable quarter-final, and it should be 2-0 England. Remember Italy-New Zealand?
Ireland - Sorry Ireland, you'll finish 3rd.
Croatia - Won't make it out of the group.

So yeah, that's how I see it. The probable path will be:

GS: France (1-0 England)
GS: Sweden (2-0 England)
GS: Ukraine (1-1 England)
QF: Italy (2-0 England)
SF: Germany (3-2 England)
F: Spain (1-0 England)

Come on England!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Derbyblue on Mon 21 May 2012, 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put images in the spoiler.)

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread

Post by Hibbz Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Duty281 wrote:Based on what Hibbz? Just the fact that you want your own country to lose.

For the how ever manyeth time Duty I do not want my own country to lose the I want the England football team to lose. Actually it would be closer to the truth to say I don't particularly wish them to win.

And the reason I'll be betting/predicting them to lose to Sweden and The Ukraine are that the odds are skewed due to mug punters putting money on England and therefore the odds on the opposition winning are higher than their actual chances of winning. Comprendez vous?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Official *England to Euro 2012 Glory* Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:53 pm

I think we've been through this Hibbz, the England football team represents the country of England. In wanting the National Team to lose, you want the country to lose.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

mystiroakey wrote:hibbz its nice to see your taking a slightly more positive look at england. we are gonna win you back with better play

Just saying it as I saw old pal. I thought France were slightly the better team but England were far better than I ever would have predicted.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:58 pm

Duty281 wrote:I think we've been through this Hibbz, the England football team represents the country of England. In wanting the National Team to lose, you want the country to lose.

Nope, the England football team represent England at football nothing more. If those players are representing us as a nation in the fields of science, politics, religion or anything else other than football we are in serious trouble.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:00 pm

Hibbz wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I think we've been through this Hibbz, the England football team represents the country of England. In wanting the National Team to lose, you want the country to lose.

Nope, the England football team represent England at football nothing more. If those players are representing us as a nation in the fields of science, politics, religion or anything else other than football we are in serious trouble.

Still supporting your adopted team Hibbz?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

Yeah I think Germany's win gave me the most pleasure if that's what you're after. Enjoyed Spain's performance too and was a little disappointed they didn't win.

Really enjoyed the tournament as a whole so far though.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:09 pm

I'm surprised you're still supporting Germany after how disappointingly dull they were in their first game.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:14 pm

Was disappointed with that England game. Aside from 3 decent shots, Benzema did nothing. For all France's pressure (and 15 shots on target) they didn't really do much. England defended well though. Debuchy was really good I thought. Hart flapped at a few crosses but Welbeck's movement was very good. Ran rings around Mexes who, like Badstuber for Germany, is an accident waiting to happen.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:15 pm

TSC why were you dissapointed?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:16 pm

Not much happened, it was pretty tedious at times. I wasn't the best game I'll ever view, but whether that was down to England's defending or France's inability to actually do anything is debatable.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:17 pm

it doesnt matter TSC.

most teams cant do anything against england- thats why we are ranked so high. So blame other teams or praise england- it doesnt really matter. we are at a competitive level and that is the crux of it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:20 pm

As a neutral, I'd like to see some exciting football but obviously not every game will be like that. Denmark v Holland was an example. England are playing to their strength. It might not be nice to watch, but it's working for them so keep it up.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:24 pm

yep thats the reality of it..

personally i think spinish football is just as tideous as a defensive set up.

gone are the days of my personal fav style of football(brazil 15 years ago- or even england of 96!!- maybe abit biased mind)

running- attacking- direct, not worrying to much about possesion , but getting forward and playing perfect rush football.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

Like the stuff Portugal played in the final minutes v Germany? I liked that game.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

I like the way portugal play, they do play alot of medium to long ball tho..ronaldo needs more service

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:33 pm

Crimey wrote:I'm surprised you're still supporting Germany after how disappointingly dull they were in their first game.

Why would you be surprised? You've already told me I'm supporting Germany because they will win and because it makes me feel rebellious and cool. Why would a dull performance change that? Besides which I didn't think they were dull.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 12 Jun 2012, 7:35 pm

In all honesty all teams have shown cracks bar germany. it wasnt the prettiest performance - but they remained strong through out and didnt slack. holland on the other hand!!

and the only top rated(bookie fav) team to actually beat a decent opposition.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 8:20 pm

Don't worry mystiroakey, after England make light work of the Germans in the Semi-Final on the 28th June and get in the Final, Hibbz will change sides!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

And there Germany show it again - mental frailty. Yes they won, but their performance dipped considerably after they conceded. They don't like conceding goals. when they do the s*** hits the fan:

Spain 1-0 Germany (WC Final): Germany go 1 down, they don't get back in it.

Germany 4-1 England (L16 WC): After going 2-0 up, Germany concede, then they concede again a minute later. They look the inferior team for 20 minutes before recovering through a counter.

Serbia 1-0 Germany (WC Group): Same as Spain.

Spain 1-0 Germany (Euro Final): Read above.

Croatia 2-1 Germany (Euro Group): Germany 2 down, take ages to recover and only manage 1 goal.

It's for this reason that Germany fall at the last hurdle - Semis, Runners Up and Semis again. Score first against Germany and their in trouble!

How is this relevant? England always make a fast start (as seen in England v France on Monday) and should England and Germany' path cross at this tournament, England will go 1 up and Germany will hit the self-destruct button.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm

funny that because i saw a german team that had total control over a talented attacking dutch team, with 10 minutes to go holland barely touched the ball let alone had a shot on goal, if they self destruct then how come holland didnt get the equaliser?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:04 pm

Holland were terrible tonight, that's why. They'll be lucky to even get a point at this tournament.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

Duty281 wrote:And there Germany show it again - mental frailty. Yes they won, but their performance dipped considerably after they conceded. They don't like conceding goals. when they do the s*** hits the fan:

As did ours when France equalised the other night. Anybody can look back on previous results and nit pick as you have done in your above post but it works both ways. England start fast yes but they also have a tendency to squander a lead. France (2004) Portugal (2004) Sweden (2006) USA (2010)...

Also two of those games you mentioned were against Spain who are one of the finest teams to ever grace a football field. No team likes conceding goals I'm sure but I'd take each day as they come because we ain't out of the group yet Duty!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 6:59 am

I thought that before the Dutch goal it was 70-30 in terms of control of the game, it then went to 50-50 and you still felt that Germany could score.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 14 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

The England players are more scared of losing than they are of going for the win. Gerrard was rarely anywhere near the box against France. No more b0llocks about protecting the defense, the German team often had 4/5 players in/around the box against the Dutch. Just do the same and you get goals. Bunch of clowns in that team. You get paid big money to entertain and go for goals, not for sitting back for 85 minutes!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 14 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

nope, you get paid good money to win, entertaining has nothing to do with it. I'd be absolutely delighted if England won every game 1-0 with a dull performance for the rest of the tournament.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 14 Jun 2012, 12:29 pm

jos, germany are simply better than us and so have the confidence and better ability to score goals and not rely on their defence to win them games. why should gerrard commit himself and then find himself out of position when needed in defence? the only player who is in germany or spains league imo is ashley young. he isnt selfish, is a good finisher, has an eye for a pass and can score from range. as good as rooney is, he can be selfish and make poor decisions with the ball. if we really only have 1 player who is capable of playing football then we cant play an attacking game. germany have ozil, muller and schweinsteiger, and gotze in back up. our strength now is our defence, and its a bloody good one in, especially in parker lescott cole and hart. play to your strengths. play to your strengths. play to your strengths. play to your strengths

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jun 2012, 5:47 pm

England are too "predictable" and "stereotyped" to beat Sweden on Friday, according to their opponents' former skipper Jonas Thern.

England drew 1-1 with France in their opening game while Sweden were beaten 2-1 by Ukraine, but Thern believes the Scandinavians are the better team.

"The one shot towards the France goal over 90 minutes was all it took to ignite the chronic English illusion of world football supremacy," he said.

"Their style of play is predictable."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18445051

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 14 Jun 2012, 5:51 pm

I could have done with a laugh today so thank you Jonas Thern. What a load of rubbish he's spouting. The Swedish defence struggled with a massively over-the-hill Shevhenko and Voronin, Welbeck and co. will tear Sweden to shreds. 2-0 England my prediction.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 5:57 pm

As well as the fact that England have still been quite muted, even negative, after the France game anyway.

The Swedes game plan is even more predictable: pass to Ibrahimovic and hope something happens. If Parker can take Ibrahimovic out of the game, which is certainly possible, we're capable of beating Sweden.

If we beat Sweden, and France beat Ukraine, hopefully we'll be able to get through, although Ukraine will still be dangerous.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

wow i think there is only one person with an illusion of granduer. Lol what a plum.

I hope the english boys read that it will give em the fuel we need. 4-0 here we come

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 6:06 pm

does he honestly believe that france had 15 shots on target against us as well!

did he watch the game?, what stats has he been reading?
i think france had 9 atempts on goal(most blocked,straight at the keeper or missed the target )

and he calls england dusilusional!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:13 pm

Have we reallygot an easy group? Ok, Group B is clearly the worse one to be in, then to me Group A looks the weakest.

So we're left with Group C and Group D which I think are very similar as the make up is almost the same:

Top, top team: Spain/France
Strong team: Italy/England
Dangerous second tier team: Croatia/Sweden
Lower Ranked team: Ireland/Ukraine (BUT in Group D you have Ukraine with home advantage)

Put it this way, I think England and Italy, as the second favourite in the two groups face very similar challenges in getting through.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:16 pm

VTR not much in it really- best way to work them out is to add the world rankings up. not sure how that works out- but my guess would be that group d would be better ranked

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm

to ignite the chronic English illusion of world football supremacy
No one really believes that. Its everyone else saying the English believe that, not the English people. This squad is so shyyt I would have hope for San Marino making it a close affair.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:does he honestly believe that france had 15 shots on target against us as well!

did he watch the game?, what stats has he been reading?
i think france had 9 atempts on goal(most blocked,straight at the keeper or missed the target )

and he calls england dusilusional!

France had 21 to England's 5 though i do agree much were just decent shots from range as opposed to genuine chances.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm

decent shots??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm

from the likes of Cabaye, Benzema and Nasri from outside the box..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm

I can remember one decent shot by the french!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:02 am

Can someone please explain to me why these footballers drop to the floor gurning and crunched up in a ball when they've made contact with another player that a crown green bowler of 80 would shrug off?

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

Equo Troiano wrote:Can someone please explain to me why these footballers drop to the floor gurning and crunched up in a ball when they've made contact with another player that a crown green bowler of 80 would shrug off?

Because unfortunately its starting to become more and more common that referees won't even recognise fouls without it. The players have overreacted so much to such an extent that referees seem to assume there hasn't been a foul if the player doesn't throw himself to the floor.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Equo Troiano Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:16 am

Crimey wrote:
Equo Troiano wrote:Can someone please explain to me why these footballers drop to the floor gurning and crunched up in a ball when they've made contact with another player that a crown green bowler of 80 would shrug off?

Because unfortunately its starting to become more and more common that referees won't even recognise fouls without it. The players have overreacted so much to such an extent that referees seem to assume there hasn't been a foul if the player doesn't throw himself to the floor.

Oh right.... and where do the Referees get all this extra time from? It seems to be completely random. Why don't they simply stop the clock when required and start it again appropriately, so that 90 minutes is actually played. What if the opposition score a winning goal against you in the 90th something minute in extra time inexplicably added on by the officials?

Equo Troiano

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:18 am

Equo Troiano wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Oh right.... and where do the Referees get all this extra time from? It seems to be completely random. Why don't they simply stop the clock when required and start it again appropriately, so that 90 minutes is actually played. What if the opposition score a winning goal against you in the 90th something minute in extra time inexplicably added on by the officials?

I think they keep an approximate note of the time wasted, and they're usually quite good when it comes to adding on minutes. People also need to be aware that the minutes added on are a minimum, so, if there is an injury in the injury time for example, then they can add more unofficial minutes. I don't think many complain about added time. Its usually about right.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:30 am

Duty281 wrote:I could have done with a laugh today so thank you Jonas Thern. What a load of rubbish he's spouting. The Swedish defence struggled with a massively over-the-hill Shevhenko and Voronin, Welbeck and co. will tear Sweden to shreds. 2-0 England my prediction.

It's easy to look at the Sweden/Ukraine match and say that neither will give England any problems, however it's just as easy for those countries to look at the England/France game and come to the same conclusion that they have nothing to fear from England.

That group is wide open and it wouldn't surprise me if any combination of the teams went through.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:33 pm

4 games from glory, we're only 4 games from glory...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Looking at the BBC Blog, I can't believe how many people (so called England fans) are being negative. England were by far the better team. Roll on Tuesday!

Roy's got England in motion
And I know what he can do
Roy's got England in motion
And I can believe it's true!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:58 pm

biggest question is rooney the final piece? if theres not much improvement then even if we get through we wont be good enough to win

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

Rooney in for Carroll and, let's have a gamble, Walcott in for Milner. 2-0 England I think, can't wait for Tuesday!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

Wayne Rooney in midfield, would anybody like to see this?

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:54 pm

rooney behind welbeck?

personally id rather have young behind rooney with the ox and walcott running the wings

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

yeah id be happy with rooney in midfield

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next