The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby?

+17
Bathman_in_London
beshocked
TrailApe
Islingtonv2
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
Notch
jeffwinger
justified sinner
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
Shifty
whocares
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
gowales
Artful_Dodger
Feckless Rogue
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So are the French proposal's good or bad for rubgy?

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Vote_lcap87%The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 30

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Empty The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby?

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 22 May 2012, 5:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

An article on espn

http://www.espnscrum.com/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/164426.html

Change for the better?
Ian Moriarty
May 22, 2012

Less is more - but try telling that to the owners of some of France's biggest clubs who seem set to transform the European rugby landscape.

As cup finals go, last Friday's Amlin Challenge Cup Final wasn't exactly the most inspirational marketing for what is purported to be the biggest and bestest professional league in world rugby. The hand-wringing from both punters and pundits that followed Biarritz' narrow victory over Toulon at the weekend was completely understandable, especially in light of the Heineken Final that followed it on Saturday. It was, if truth be told, an awful advertisement for French and European rugby.

The age-old rivalries between Top 14 sides have always been one of the great pulling factors of the French Championship but taken out of context those intense encounters are often lost on neutrals. Last Friday night at the Stoop, we had two committed teams who threw everything at each other yet virtually everybody bar Biarritz supporters will want the game erased from the memory permanently.

But was Friday night's game a damning indictment of where French rugby is, as claimed by some commentators, or was it a one-off to be set aside and forgotten? There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence to believe the standard of rugby in the Top 14 is struggling this season thanks to the extended World Cup season. Yet nothing has ever been black and white in French rugby and despite this year's slog there are plenty who believe there should be more games, not less.

For some time now, there have been murmurs of discontent bubbling away across the French rugby landscape: too few Top 14 games, not enough TV money, too many European games, not enough control, not enough voting rights... Now comes the news that French (and English) clubs are giving serious thought towards refusing to re-sign the Heineken Cup accords in 2014, for which they have to give two years notice. The reason, they say, is that they should have more clubs in the world's best club tournament, to the effective detriment of sides in Scotland and Italy.

And there's more. Not content with potentially destroying the balance of a great European competition, there are those like Racing Metro owner Jacky Lorenzetti who sound as though they want to destroy their own club competition too. Lorenzetti recently told Midi Olympique that a return to sixteen teams was absolutely vital.

"There are too few games," said the multimillionaire. "The players whose teams don't make the final phases have maybe three months of holidays. That's nuts. A day at work for a rugby player is three, maybe four hours of training, four days a week. You've got to work more. They're not lazy but they're not Stakhanovistes (hard workers) either who are physically prepared to endure such a rhythm."

While a return to sixteen clubs in the next year or so is regarded as unlikely by those in the know, Lorenzetti's thoughts on the matter are shared by several other club presidents, broadcaster Canal+ and by Ligue National de Rugby (LNR) Pierre-Yves Revol. Money is the key and if those club presidents can't raise the extra cash by playing more games, other cash cows must be looked at, which is where the Heineken Cup comes in.

It seems like only yesterday that the French clubs were banging their shoes on ERC's boardroom table looking for a bigger slice of the European pie. Back in 2007 it was voting and share rights that captured Gallic imaginations but this time around it seems more serious. At the heart of the matter is the proposal from the French clubs and their English colleagues to limit the number of teams from the RaboDirect Pro12 to eight, thereby increasing their own. Taken in isolation, the proposal has its merits as it would undoubtedly make the Celtic league a more competitive and viable construct. However I'm pretty sure French and English clubs didn't have the health of Celtic and Italian teams in mind when they dreamed up the idea and therein lies the rub. More places for French sides equals more competition money and eventually, more control.

That would be all well and good if we thought European rugby would be well looked after, but given the recent utterances of powerful men such as Monsieur Lorenzetti of Racing Metro and Mourad Boudjellal of Toulon, how likely is that going to be? Would it mean more matches like last Friday night? Would it mean having more big name players like Matt Giteau and Carl Hayman (playing his 34th game of the season) playing well within themselves? How long before the French public stop watching?

Rugby's calendar is in a mess - of that we are certain. Here in the northern hemisphere though we are faced with the prospect of unions and clubs having to work together so that days like Saturday can continue to be enjoyed. And that, sadly, is a depressing thought.

Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Empty Re: The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby?

Post by beshocked Wed 23 May 2012, 11:42 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
TV companies want more games in the premium competition - they are after quantity not quality.

No, they are after more people choosing to take up subscriptions. They didn't give a monkeys how many games there are or how high in quality they are they only care about the increase in the revenue.

Making the Amlin a worthwhile and winnable cup will make people watch it, numbers will rise in viewing because games other than French B side A vs French B side B will be entertaining. Connacht vs Gloucester in the quarters people will watch, certainly more than people will watch Connacht getting humpered pillar to post by the Tolouse second team in the HEC. Selling the rights to someone other than Sky will bring the competition alive, whilst it's Sky's second European competition there will be no interest. Make it worthwhile and then flog it to ESPN and they will make a song and dance about it.

and the third tier, while good for development purposes, generates no interest whatsoever

So people in Georgia, Romania and Russia who like their rugby but couldn't give a poo about the HEC because it means nothing to them (unless an international is playing for a French side) won't tune in to watch a Georgian team take on a Romanian team in a competition they have a decent chance in? The third tier is good for development and opens the option of flogging stuff to the rest of Europe. It'll never be a cash cow but it'll at least pay for itself and sow the seeds for future financial growth.

Sam they have already tried to make the Amlin more worthwhile by letting those sides who fail in the HC a 2nd chance.

Cardiff and Biarritz are the biggest beneficaries of this flawed concept - hence their high European rankings.

The best matches are generally when different nationalities clash IMO.

Cmon Sam do people really want to watch Connacht vs Gloucester?

Connacht aren't a big draw in general and Gloucester are a side with great potential but flatter to deceive.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Empty Re: The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby?

Post by whocares Wed 23 May 2012, 11:49 am

beshocked wrote: Cmon Sam do people really want to watch Connacht vs Gloucester?

anyday
I'd rather watch that than say Agen B-Brive A ...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Wed 23 May 2012, 11:49 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
jeffwinger wrote:I don't mean to sound arrogant but surely it cannot remain that some sides qualify automatically without having to earn their place. I would assert that assuming automatic HC qualification could be construed as arrogance.

I believe EVERY league should lose some HC places to facilitate a reduced but higher quality competition. This is the point some people fail to grasp in a lot of these threads. It is not a case of big mean English and French bullys taking away all your places and keeping them for themselves. It is every union making concessions for the greater good and integrity of the competition.

I think there should be a minimum involvement in the HC for each 6 Nations union, but if the four Celtic unions decided against this I would not argue. How a union or league distributes its places is ultimately up to them. All I am saying is that there shouldn't be so many places available.
The problem is, jeff, that it's not about LEAGUES. Take Scotland as an example, the SRU has two places to allocate - the first one goes to the winner of the 1872 Cup, the second one to the next highest team in the league in which the pro-districts compete - now, that league could in tehory be the Swiss U12 girls netball league if that's what the SRU chose. So when Scotland also had the Borders and the Caledonian Reds, we still only had two teams in the Heino. Equally if we bring back a third pro-district, we'll still only have two teams as it currently stands. But it's our business how WE allocate those two places

Not sure there's any difference in what we're saying here. I agree with everything you say. My issue is with people throwing their toys out of the pram when someone suggests a reduction from their union, but demands other unions should have reduced places instead. It must be an even reduction for all those involved.

I really like your proposed layout stag, those look like 2 top quality competitions which would really interest fans.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Wed 23 May 2012, 11:55 am

I know it is only being used as an example but...

Gloucester are consistently in the top 3 premiership clubs in terms of attendances and the fans love European games, especially on a friday night under floodlights. They also play some of the most attractive rugby at present. Connacht fans appeared to really enjoy being involved in a decent level European competition this season and the team put in some good displays.

There would definitely be an appetite for these type of games.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 23 May 2012, 12:01 pm

Stag

That looks very good to me. It would give a streamlined and more 'elite HC', as well as an Amlin competition which was more than just the lower half of the English and French leagues plus a Romanian team or two.

I would say that maybe rather than the winning Amlin team's country getting another team if the winners have qualified via the league, the losing finalist should get the spot (again unless they qualify via the league) to try and make the Amlin as linked into the HC as possible and really encourage teams to take it seriously.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 May 2012, 12:06 pm

HC is where it's at. Biggest competition - most glory! Signed Leinster

Oh no it's not. We never blink an eye really. Fans here don't care about HC, our League is ancient, it has its tribes and we're plenty happy with the best League in the world. Signed English AP

HC is dee small change in zee pocket with zee hole in eet. Top 14 is zee beste for dee qualitae and zee exuberaunce. We speet in zee eye of zee wonkers of zee HC. Signed Top14

And yet, the two leagues that seem happiest without the HC seem to be self destructing under the pressures of not competing in it - lately (as if that's really going to conintue!)

My message..é is not to panic.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 23 May 2012, 12:20 pm

Secretfly we English fans do care about the HC but it's a harder balancing act for the top sides in the AP because they lose the most players to international call ups whilst their rivals don't lose any.

There is not automatic HC qualification to fall back upon either.

Consequently there are more full strength sides played throughout the AP season making it a more intense league than that of the Pro12.

It's also harder than it used to be for English clubs to attract the best foreign talent because the salary cap is on par with the Pro12 but much lower than the French.

Guaranteed HC rugby every season is a key draw for the Pro12 clubs that cannot be ignored.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 May 2012, 12:35 pm

beshocked wrote:Secretfly we English fans do care about the HC but it's a harder balancing act for the top sides in the AP because they lose the most players to international call ups whilst their rivals don't lose any.

There is not automatic HC qualification to fall back upon either.

Consequently there are more full strength sides played throughout the AP season making it a more intense league than that of the Pro12.

It's also harder than it used to be for English clubs to attract the best foreign talent because the salary cap is on par with the Pro12 but much lower than the French.

Guaranteed HC rugby every season is a key draw for the Pro12 clubs that cannot be ignored.

I had a chat with I think it was Hammer of Thunor (you must know him) anyway, had a chat with him on another thread very recently and I suggested the AP reward sides for performing IN the HC to ease the yearly burden on them in AP and allow them to choose younger players in certain game etc. That would mean if an AP side got to the quarters of HC, their place would be guaranteed for the following year.

Thunor was having none of that because he said the issues in Ap are much more complex than sides simply fretting at having to fight for HC positions. He said the lower tier sides in AP actually want the top sides to fret about qualification as it keeps them having to use full squads and makes them perhaps vulnerable in AP games. The message was not ALL sides in AP are worried about the nature of HC qualification in AP and they don't want AP top sides getting an easier ride in any future negotiations.

So??? I'm left thinking I'm right. The AP and Top 14 say all their attention focuses on their respective Leagues but it's the lack of HC successes of late that are causing the melt downs in those leagues. "We don't need HC but we need HC" seems to be the quizzical line coming from both

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Wed 23 May 2012, 12:45 pm

Fly you are probably correct to say not all sides in the Premiership are concerned with the Heineken Cup. That is not to say that none of the sides are concerned with it.

There are only a few each year who are capable of doing well in it, so why would the other sides throw all their eggs in that basket and risk danger in the domestic league? There is no capacity for an English side to follow the lead of Edinburgh, but there is no reason why a club like Leicester, Northampton or Saracens can't emulate Leinster or Munster given similar operating conditions.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 May 2012, 12:56 pm

jeffwinger wrote:Fly you are probably correct to say not all sides in the Premiership are concerned with the Heineken Cup. That is not to say that none of the sides are concerned with it.

There are only a few each year who are capable of doing well in it, so why would the other sides throw all their eggs in that basket and risk danger in the domestic league? There is no capacity for an English side to follow the lead of Edinburgh, but there is no reason why a club like Leicester, Northampton or Saracens can't emulate Leinster or Munster given similar operating conditions.

No reason at all _ and I wouldn't have suggested so. But like I said in the beginning, I'd go one further and suggest that but for some perhaps bad form or silly mistakes or ref decisions going other ways - the vision of an English or French side in even this year's final wouldn't have been all that surprising. I think there is a little too much panic when everyone should realise cyclical does what cyclical does. Where once England and France dominated HC for some years, now we see a little dominance from Pro12. And dominance will drift back to either England or france in time. That's the nature of it. It's a little greedy to be suggesting the whole landscape in Europe needs to change to fight this thing called cyclical dominance. When the French or English once again are winning HCs, they won't care too much that the Pro12 League is struggling to find the right methodology to come back at them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 23 May 2012, 1:43 pm

I'd be wary of using me as a source. I'm worse than wikipedia.

However, the panic is ridiculous. Media whipping simple-minded fans into a frenzy. They also tend to be the loudest. In the early stages if the HEC the English and French clubs were much stronger than the other sides. The Welsh couldn't sustain all their clubs as professional, the Irish were still building up interest and support, and Scottish rugby was in it's dip. English and French rugby were on a relative high (domestically and internationally) and that formed the baseline for some people. It would be like if the HEC was formed now and if the Irish didn't win every year there would be horror. Or set up in the 70s with the Welsh.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Wed 23 May 2012, 2:21 pm

I honestly think their could be big changes in 2014 but NOT for the good.
from all the press and forum articals ive seen, the noises from the mainly french and english clubs ( rumour of 2 welsh clubs want change? ) everything seems to hinge on the italy and scotland being willing to sacrifice 1 or maybe 2 spots in the top teir each and place the other in the amlin, which i would think would come with less revenue and less tv coverage. why would they vote for that?.

This seems to come down to the issue that the amlin cup is still not strong enough or lucrative enough considering you still get cricket scores between teams and some top teams do put out what could be considered a B team, also the sky coverage of the cup is dire, the fact that the changes they made by putting the best runners up from the heini into the amlin hasn't made a difference, so the french and the english clubs want the pro 12 to put more teams in to the amlin which could be both clubs from italy and scotland, since the changes they made last time to strengthen the amlin hasn't worked who's to say it will work this time, if the tv coverage and revenue from the amlin doesn't increase then the italians and scottish teams will suffer heavily.

The scottish teams are only now starting to make progress and atleast treviso are doing well and will only get better, to take away the incentive of playing the top teams in europe could see the unions reverting back to there own leagues and demanding equal representation with france and england which means fewer places for english and french clubs in the top teir.

Also for the clubs that say the heini places should be on league position and it shouldn't matter what country a team is from the SRU have stated the LV cup only involves welsh and english clubs, so does it mean that the LV will be open to other clubs from france, scotland and ireland? and what about the french joining the B&I cup.

The last time the PRL threatened a boycott of the competition the RFU came out and said '' we do have another 12 clubs '' , championship sides would probably give anything to be involved and theres always the PRO D2 with some very strong teams in it if the TOP 14 do follow the PRL.

I think now even some of the media in england are getting fed up with the excuses coming from some clubs.

'' The pro 12 have it easy, no relegation ''
'' The pro 12 have gauranted places ''
'' The French clubs spend to much ''
'' The salary cap means we cant spend enough ''
'' The international games take away our players ''

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by Islingtonv2 Wed 23 May 2012, 2:52 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
TV companies want more games in the premium competition - they are after quantity not quality.

No, they are after more people choosing to take up subscriptions. They didn't give a monkeys how many games there are or how high in quality they are they only care about the increase in the revenue.
Making the Amlin a worthwhile and winnable cup will make people watch it, numbers will rise in viewing because games other than French B side A vs French B side B will be entertaining. Connacht vs Gloucester in the quarters people will watch, certainly more than people will watch Connacht getting humpered pillar to post by the Tolouse second team in the HEC. Selling the rights to someone other than Sky will bring the competition alive, whilst it's Sky's second European competition there will be no interest. Make it worthwhile and then flog it to ESPN and they will make a song and dance about it.

and the third tier, while good for development purposes, generates no interest whatsoever

So people in Georgia, Romania and Russia who like their rugby but couldn't give a poo about the HEC because it means nothing to them (unless an international is playing for a French side) won't tune in to watch a Georgian team take on a Romanian team in a competition they have a decent chance in? The third tier is good for development and opens the option of flogging stuff to the rest of Europe. It'll never be a cash cow but it'll at least pay for itself and sow the seeds for future financial growth.

Of course they want more revenue. But that is the end goal, the means of getting there is by flogging more content to attract subscribers hence why all competitions are expanding not contracting. Ever wondered why they show 6 HEC games every weekend plus more behind the red button? Its broadcastings version of mass production but it is mass production of the best quality events since those are the ones that attract new viewers. Thats why they show Champions league but not Europa league, F1 but not touring cars, USPGA tour but not Asian tour, Jeff but not RABO (joking!).

You and i might be interested in a revamped Amlin but the casual or floating viewer isn't, even Football can't generate interest in its secondary competition so what chance for the Amlin? It will by definition always be seen as second rate.

Islingtonv2

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 8:51 am

From today's Hootsmon, the Rabo replies:

Irvine rejects call for new Heineken Cup entry system

Andy Irvine has dismissed suggestions that the RaboDirect PRO12 may be turned into a straight Heineken Cup qualifier under pressure from clubs in England and France.

The French and English clubs responded to the fact that just one of their number, Clermont Auvergne, figured in the last four of the Heineken Cup this season and none reached the final by claiming that the Celtic and Italian clubs were unfairly aided by a RaboDirect league in which there was no threat of relegation.

With all Scottish and Italian clubs guaranteed entry no matter where they finish in the league, this, they contest, meant that PRO12 clubs could rest players from the Celtic competition and protect them for Heineken Cup matches, while they played their top figures every week in the Aviva Premiership and French Top 14.

They have proposed a new structure whereby only the top eight clubs in the RaboDirect PRO12, as well as the top eight in England and France, gain entry to the Heineken Cup, and insisted that they will refuse to sign the next ERC accord in 2014 if not agreed. If implemented now, this would have consigned to the Amlin Challenge Cup Edinburgh, this season’s Heineken Cup semi-finalists, the two Italian sides, with Parma expected to be unveiled as the replacement for Aironi, and Newport Gwent Dragons – the only PRO12 club that will currently miss out.

After watching Ospreys win a thrilling RaboDirect final in Dublin yesterday, Irvine, the league chairman, insisted that the English and French clubs would receive little support.

He said: “What a cracking final we have had again to a great league competition, another great end to a league that is making people around the northern hemisphere take notice of Celtic and Italian rugby.

“I know that the English clubs and RFU were pretty peeved at having just one team in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals and I understand what they’re saying. They have enough teams in the Heineken so it’s not really a matter of having more in, necessarily, but their grouse is that we don’t have promotion and relegation in the Rabo. I would concede that that is a very slight advantage to us, but it is very slight, not the ‘make-or-break’ that they are hinting at.

“At the moment, we don’t have enough teams to have promotion and relegation and I don’t see that changing for a long time. That’s just our make-up in the Celtic nations. It’s not our fault.

“And it doesn’t mean to say that the teams that are put out are not trying their absolute damndest to win every game. Okay, we can rotate our players a bit more, but, then again, we don’t have the money and size of squads that they have in England and France, which allows them to rest key players as well.

“What’s the big deal? The fact is that we have fantastic quality players in the Rabo and, when it came to the Heineken Cup matches, they played better than their counterparts in England and France. The English champions [Harlequins] lost to ‘lowly’ Connacht. I say ‘lowly’ because Connacht are not considered the biggest name in rugby, but you ask any players who go there and they will tell you how tough it is.

“They remind me of Langholm in my playing days. Nobody liked going down there, a tiny wee town of 2,500 or so people, and the whole town would turn out and you felt as if you were playing against 20 guys rather than 15, but that’s what makes sport. The ‘Davids’ can beat the ‘Goliaths’, and that’s why people are drawn to sport.”

Last year, three of the four semi-finalists came from England and France and those two countries have dominated nine of the 17 tournament finals to date, while Scotland and Wales have hardly made a ritual of upsetting their big neighbours even without the fear of relegation.

There may be an argument that the Celtic nations benefited this season from the World Cup intervention, which impacted more heavily on English and French clubs and the ability to rest top players. But there is also a fundamental point that the Heineken Cup is not about pitting together the best 24 teams in Europe, but a contest of the best handful of teams in each participating country; not a competition for the wealthiest clubs – even though they still traditionally dominate – but a crucial lifeline to developing rugby across the continent.

Irvine believes that the Heineken Cup is a powerful draw to Celtic nations, but is also confident that the RaboDirect PRO12 is now a competition able to seriously challenge the Aviva Premiership and Orange Top 14.

“We know we’re always going to play second fiddle in terms of population and money,” continued Irvine. “France has 60 million and England 60 million and, while Italy has a similar population, rugby is a much longer way from being the top sport there, and the combined population of Scotland, Ireland and Wales equates to around ten percent of England and France’s. And England and France have very wealthy entrepreneurs who are prepared to help subsidise the game.

“But what we do have is the quality of players, and the proof of that is the success of the RaboDirect PRO12 teams in the Heineken Cup. And, actually, there’s no better example than Edinburgh. Edinburgh beating Toulouse was not far off Hearts or Hibs beating Barcelona in terms of the differing depth, quality and resource of the respective teams, and the crowd at that match [nearly 38,000] was phenomenal, but, to sustain the growth, it is crucial now that Edinburgh build on that.”

Irvine concluded by praising the SRU for taking the investment in each pro squad up to £4.2m each, level with the English clubs’ salary cap, and stated again that he would like to see the growth in wins, attendances and commercial revenue that would force the SRU to re-launch a third pro team.

“That’s where we have to be headed, to three and four teams again in the next four or five years,” he added. “The SRU have put their balls on the line by seriously funding the pro teams for next season, and the teams will be under pressure because no longer will they have the excuse of not having the same funding as the rest. They have to deliver and that’s good for our game.

“The Irish teams will still be strong again. Munster have been a little on the wane, but I expect them to bounce back, and Leinster are a class act and will take a lot of confidence into next season, as will Ulster, but the Welsh regions are going to operate on smaller budgets and are losing players, so I think the Scottish teams will push on above them. They have to both finish in the top half of the RaboDirect PRO12 but be really pushing for the play-offs.

“Off the field, the season ticket sales are up already for both Scottish teams, and Scotstoun is an exciting challenge for Glasgow to develop and fill with the exciting young talent they have coming through. I spoke to a lot of people after Edinburgh’s win over Toulouse who said it was fantastic, and they wished that there was another game the week after to go along to. So Edinburgh need to tap back into that at the start of the new season.

“If they can start with three or four wins on the trot, there is no doubt in my mind that there is the potential there to build to regular crowds of 10,000. If Belfast can do it, Edinburgh can because Edinburgh is a bigger rugby city.

“They need two things that haven’t quite come together in the RaboDirect yet – a good brand of rugby, which they play, and runs of victories. Get that and people might be surprised at how Scottish rugby takes off, and how the RaboDirect pushes the French and English even more.”

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 9:07 am

What Mr Irvine seems to forget is that Edinburgh put all their eggs in one basket - the HC. They are a perfect example of what's wrong with the current system. They will not be penalised for their frankly appalling Pro12 performance.

Only need to look at the amount of HC cups the likes of Edinburgh,Scarlets,Cardiff,Munster have played in. You would expect them to get some results with that amount of exposure to top level rugby.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 28 May 2012, 9:10 am

Sky don't want more games. They want enough to entice people to pay. If they have fewer games, but are ones people REALLY want to see they'll still subscribe. AND this means there's more space in the schedule to put another sport in, to entice other subscribers. They don't want loads of games (especially as they won't be able to show them all and it increases the chance of another broadcaster taking on some of the games). The reasons competitions expand is based on the participants wanting more home game revenues.

As, one of the most interesting things in there is the bit about the Scottish squad funding being £4.2M from now on. Can we finally see the end of the "they have more money than us" crap? Supposed (although I've never seen the actual figures) the Provinces run at a similar level as the english cap (no idea if this includes central contracts, or is even true), the Ospreys have been struggling to get under the Regional £3.5M(?) cap for the European squad even after getting rid of the superstars, and now even the Scottish sides are on equal footing.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 28 May 2012, 9:17 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Sky don't want more games. They want enough to entice people to pay. If they have fewer games, but are ones people REALLY want to see they'll still subscribe. AND this means there's more space in the schedule to put another sport in, to entice other subscribers. They don't want loads of games (especially as they won't be able to show them all and it increases the chance of another broadcaster taking on some of the games). The reasons competitions expand is based on the participants wanting more home game revenues.

As, one of the most interesting things in there is the bit about the Scottish squad funding being £4.2M from now on. Can we finally see the end of the "they have more money than us" crap? Supposed (although I've never seen the actual figures) the Provinces run at a similar level as the english cap (no idea if this includes central contracts, or is even true), the Ospreys have been struggling to get under the Regional £3.5M(?) cap for the European squad even after getting rid of the superstars, and now even the Scottish sides are on equal footing.
Well, it wasn't crap before, but you'll certainly not be hearing that as an excuse/reason from me in the coming season(s) OK Looks like the Welsh (and Italians?) will have the smallest/least wealthy squads

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 28 May 2012, 9:19 am

Also hammerofthunor don't forget the automatic HC qualification is a real draw for players.

Just imagine it in the AP and Top 14. No matter how badly you perform in either competition you'll still be in the HC. Oh and you can't be relegated. That's the dream!

Or alternatively you need to just stay above the likes of Newcastle and Worcester. Not bad.

I actually like the 24 team set up there is as it is.

The AP sides need to give themselves advantages though. The Pro12 sides have auto/easy qualification, the French clubs have significantly higher cap. The AP sides need something to counterbalance this.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 28 May 2012, 9:30 am

thanks ASBO for this , at least Irvine points are quite clear.

But there is also a fundamental point that the Heineken Cup is not about pitting together the best 24 teams in Europe, but a contest of the best handful of teams in each participating country; not a competition for the wealthiest clubs – even though they still traditionally dominate – but a crucial lifeline to developing rugby across the continent

currently its doing a good job in developping rugby across the Rabo countries if anything (they did help Italy at one stage) but accross the continent is taking it a bit too far.
the last sentence of that article shows that he really only cares about the Rabo competitivness which is fair enough (not the higher "good" of developping rugby accross europe).

whocares

Back to top Go down

The French proposals - Good or Bad for Rugby? - Page 2 Empty England to pull out

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 11:48 pm

In the telegraph they reckon the English prem are going to demand HC rule change for qualification along with the French boys tomorrow!
If they don't meet the demands of this metaphorical gun to the head situation the trigger of forfeiting will be pulled,
Sour grapes?
Fair point?
Not good enough?
Worth consideration?

My opinion is it's a big fat excuse,blaming relegation etc... A decade ago when the tiger's ruled Europe and england lifted the world cup we all heard how the world's toughest and best league with the fear of relegation made hard as stone champions
Irish rugby after years of dam hard work get rewards in europe and it is discredited due to a so called mickey mouse league.
Also beware england climbing in bed with France, they will screw you, walk you up the path open the gate let you in and then backpeddle and bid you good luck

Merged with the existing thread - KRD

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 31 May 2012, 12:14 am

What's the welsh regions 'big fat excuse' for failure in Europe?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 8:05 am

They are not good enough, not once have they proposed changes that would suit them

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 31 May 2012, 8:15 am

The french have never liked european rugby, the public dont take to it in the same way they do domestic rugby.

The mind boggles at a top 16 though, although it may make sense from a financial point of view I cant help but feel the gulf between top and bottom will be even greater, and that there will just be more dross in there.

Too few games? The guy cant mean the season as a whole ... if anything with the umpteen different competitions and internationals theres too much rugby, certainly too much for the best players to be used all the time and to be giving their best.

Yeah I can understand the calls to restructure European competition but given how badly the English clubs have done over the last few years ( the odd finalist aside) i dont see a massive argument why the 8th best Jeff team is likely to add much to the competition. I also dont see how adding more french / english teams is going to help the french disinterest in the competition and the feeling it takes up too much of their season.

OK something does have to give in french rugby to inject new life into their club scene. Its not unreasonable that the owners are looking at the profitability of their game. I just dont see much joined up thinking in what they are saying here.

Stag I like that balance of a leaner HC, it wont ever of course.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 31 May 2012, 5:32 pm

viewtothegym wrote:They are not good enough, not once have they proposed changes that would suit them

I thought two of the regions were backing the changes proposed by the clubs.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 02 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:What's the welsh regions 'big fat excuse' for failure in Europe?

From an Ospreys point of view I can point to the fact we were simply not good enough and didnt have a lot of luck this season. We had a referee who had no idea how to referee a scrum at home to Saracens resulting in 50/50 penalties all over the place. We were poor and drew in Treviso and losing all our Welsh players to the December Australia Welsh game damaged the preperation of all the Welsh teams going into Europe.

Basically we shot ourselves in one foot, and the Wru shot the other one for us. steam

As for pulling the European Cup altogether? Well I dont mind, I'd be happy with just an 8 team Irish/Welsh league where we play each other 4 times a season, and screw everyone else. I'm really beginning to like the rivalry we are getting with the Irish teams, and am REALLY beginning to hate Munster and Leinster, so much in fact that I want the Scarlets to beat them. thumbsup
As long as they keep their referees their side of the Irish sea everything would be hunky dory for the Welsh! Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2