The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions

+14
Casartelli
maestegmafia
chris_501
LordDowlais
Liam
RubyGuby
Knowsit17
CurlyOsp
HammerofThunor
TycroesOsprey
gowales
Biltong
ScarletSpiderman
munkian
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions - Page 2 Empty Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions

Post by munkian Thu May 24, 2012 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

[url=Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18188640[/url]

Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen has revealed he turned down a chance to play for the USA in the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand in his bid to play for Wales.

Dirksen was born in South Africa but as a teenager moved to the USA with his family, playing age-group rugby there.

"They [the USA] asked me to be in the World Cup [squad]," said Dirksen.

The 21-year-old, who played for the USA in an uncapped game against Munster in 2008, qualfies to play for Wales on residency grounds in 2014.

Dirksen, who recently signed a new two-year deal with the Pro12 finalists, has scored eight tries in 24 games and won the RaboDirect Pro12 try of the season award for his score against Edinburgh in the 15-14 win at Murrayfield last February.

Continue reading the main story
“"They (the USA) asked me to be in the World Cup but it would have meant I would have been an international player for the Ospreys and they might not have signed me for another two years,”

Hanno Dirksen

The Ospreys wing
"They [the USA] asked me to be in the World Cup but it would have meant I would have been an international player for the Ospreys and they might not have signed me for another two years... you can only have a few per club here," said Dirksen.

"It was an amazing opportunity they gave me but maybe the Ospreys wouldn't have offered me another contract."

Dirksen spent his initial spell in the UK on a student visa, when he played for Swansea RFC and the Ospreys as an amateur, and because of that his residency qualification for Wales started in January 2011.

The wing arrived in Britain to study at Truro College on a scholarship for the 2008-09 academic year before transferring to Neath Port Talbot College in September 2009.

Dirksen hails from Krugersdorp in the Gauteng province of South Africa but after his family moved abroad, he represented the USA at age grade level.

He became the youngest player to represent the Eagles at senior level when he featured in the non-capped match against Munster in Connecticut in August 2008.

Under normal circumstances Dirksen would have qualfied for Wales in September 2012, but he is prepared to wait to stake his claim for the famous red jersey.

"It's only a year and a half away and, hopefully, I can keep playing like I am playing and be in amongst the squad," said Dirksen.

"That would be an amazing achievement for me if they want me. Wales is one of the top teams in the world now.

"The way they are playing is awesome and I watched them against France and to be a part of that would be an amazing achievement

Dirksen has become a key component of the Ospreys side this season and he is relishing the chance to test himself against Leinster in the Pro12 final in Dublin on Sunday.

"Leinster have been European champions three times in four years, so you have to take your hat off to them for achieving that," said Dirksen.

"But it's just another game and we have played them twice already this season and hopefully we can make it three wins."

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri May 25, 2012 10:29 am

munkian wrote:All this talk of purity and patriotism is making me feel a little queasy...

I'm actually flattered a young talented player wanted to play for a Welsh region and work his way up to the Welsh squad.

If he's better than other Welsh players and gets through on merit then why not ?

Its his life, his (short) career. If he works hard, gets the Ospeys into finals then good on him.

Spot on, my thoughts exactly.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys wing Hanno Dirksen reveals his Wales ambitions

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 10:33 am

munkian wrote:All this talk of purity and patriotism is making me feel a little queasy...

I'm actually flattered a young talented player wanted to play for a Welsh region and work his way up to the Welsh squad.

If he's better than other Welsh players and gets through on merit then why not ?

Its his life, his (short) career. If he works hard, gets the Ospeys into finals then good on him.
Good post. OK

There are some pretty out-dated and slightly sinister views about national purity on here, especially considering the way the world has changed, borders have become more fluid and multiculturalism is becoming the norm. Surely having the enthusiasm to represent the nation you live in should be seen as a positive.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am

Gentlemen let me ask you this, do you hold no value to origin.

You are basically saying anyone can wear any jersey, so if a South African team has 4 South Africans, 3 english, 2 New Zealanders, 3 Australians, 1 Welshman, 1 Irishman and 1 Frenchman, that becuase the world is changing, it will be acceptable and hence I should support and identify with that team as my own?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 10:39 am

sugarNspikes wrote:

Good post. OK

There are some pretty out-dated and slightly sinister views about national purity on here, especially considering the way the world has changed, borders have become more fluid and multiculturalism is becoming the norm. Surely having the enthusiasm to represent the nation you live in should be seen as a positive.

I agree that 'purity' is probably not the best word. Multiculturism is fine, and I have no problems with people who have mixed decent (i have blood relatives who were born in Eng, Ire, Sco, and Wal). I don't see how it is an out dated view that you have a nationality, and that you are who you are. Living in diferent places and experiencing different cultures is a good thing, and no doubt has an effect on your life and the way you live your life. However it does not change your core beliefs, your core identity. If your name is John Smith, you don't change your name to Johan Smit just because you like in Germany, so why would you change your nationality?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

Test rugby is about representation. That's the key thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Hanno Dirksen playing for Wales because, guess what, he's not Welsh. He doesn't represent us.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 10:40 am

biltongbek wrote:Gentlemen let me ask you this, do you hold no value to origin.

You are basically saying anyone can wear any jersey, so if a South African team has 4 South Africans, 3 english, 2 New Zealanders, 3 Australians, 1 Welshman, 1 Irishman and 1 Frenchman, that becuase the world is changing, it will be acceptable and hence I should support and identify with that team as my own?
If they were fully qualified to represent SA then there would be 15 South Africans on the field not the rag-tag group you describe. I think people need to get over this. Origin is viewed differently by different people.

Whether the residency rules should be made more stringent is another argument.

It's going to happen more and more. People need to get used to it.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 10:41 am

Maybe that is the answer to the club v country agruments, just change the national team into a big club, where as long as your playing in that country your good.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 10:43 am

Why must they get used to it?

One sheep jumps down the cliff so the others reckon that's the thing to do.

Why bother watching sport if there is no identifying with a team?

Team sport will lose its value if this happens, people will rather just support a favourite individual playing Golf, Tennis etc.

The whole reason we are passionate about a sport is becuase we identify with a team.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 10:44 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Test rugby is about representation. That's the key thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Hanno Dirksen playing for Wales because, guess what, he's not Welsh. He doesn't represent us.
He lives in Wales, playes rugby for a Welsh region, if he has a family he's bringing them up in Wales. He wants to play for Wales. He might not have a Welsh name or have been born in Wales but he's got everything else going for him (if he's good enough).

It seems, in some cases, we're quite happy for non-nationals to fight in our army but not play rugby for their adopted nation.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 10:44 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Maybe that is the answer to the club v country agruments, just change the national team into a big club, where as long as your playing in that country your good.

In that case I won't be bothered to be honest.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am

Just a few quick question. How old are the folk who want to see no issue with anyone playing for any national side, and where are they from? And likewise those who are against it?

I only ask as I think I am still pretty young, 27, and have a mixed origin background, however I have been brought up in wales since I was 2, yet have been classed as having 'out-dated' views.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Test rugby is about representation. That's the key thing. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Hanno Dirksen playing for Wales because, guess what, he's not Welsh. He doesn't represent us.
He lives in Wales, playes rugby for a Welsh region, if he has a family he's bringing them up in Wales. He wants to play for Wales. He might not have a Welsh name or have been born in Wales but he's got everything else going for him (if he's good enough).

It seems, in some cases, we're quite happy for non-nationals to fight in our army but not play rugby for their adopted nation.

Two points Wales don't have an army, nor do England!!

And also Andy Marinos played for Wales, had kids in Wales, and then when he retired sodded off back to SA, because that is where he was from. And he is not the only player who does/did that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri May 25, 2012 10:49 am

At least we can all pretty much agree that the Americans can't claim him as one of their own

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 am

sugarNspikes wrote:

SugarNspikes, consider this.

The NH has the stronger currency and the economy, that is the reason why players move away. For a future in a professional rugby career.

Let us not confuse loyalty and patriotism and hence the representaion of a country with ambition to make money.

Your future looks like this, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, SA, Namibia, Samoa, etc will all fund the richest countries.

So if China, Japan, USA, England and France decide they'll simply start buying players and not remotely care about developing sport in their countries.

You will find China will run out with two V D Merwe's, some Kiw's, Fijians etc, and the other rich countries as well.

We will then watch a world cup, where the richest countries fight it out for the Semi final spots, with a bunch of players from countries that cannot afford to keeep their players.

So evenually money wins, not a nation or a sport.

If that sits well with you, then I am afraid there is no hpe for sport to retain any sense of value.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Just a few quick question. How old are the folk who want to see no issue with anyone playing for any national side, and where are they from? And likewise those who are against it?

I only ask as I think I am still pretty young, 27, and have a mixed origin background, however I have been brought up in wales since I was 2, yet have been classed as having 'out-dated' views.
I'm 36. I'm not saying I have no issue with the system (residency etc could be improved) but I think there is too much of a blanket assumption that these players are mercenaries and have no pride or ambition in playing for their adopted side. It's a tricky area but I think some are too quick to deny players the chance. In some cases in can mean players not being able to play international rugby at all.

Maybe I'm too liberal Wink

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 am

gowales wrote:At least we can all pretty much agree that the Americans can't claim him as one of their own

Not too sure on that. If they wanted him for the RWC '11, when he was playing and living in Swansea, then he must qualify for them on another ground other than residency. After all Eddie O'Sullivan may be a bit of a fool, but he would have checked up on it.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 am

Pieter de Villiers left SA to play rugby in France, when he retired he moved back home.

Andy Marinos did the same thing after representing Wales.

Most of the South Africans playing rugby in Europe return back to SA, when they retire.

The proof is in the pudding.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri May 25, 2012 10:55 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
gowales wrote:At least we can all pretty much agree that the Americans can't claim him as one of their own

Not too sure on that. If they wanted him for the RWC '11, when he was playing and living in Swansea, then he must qualify for them on another ground other than residency. After all Eddie O'Sullivan may be a bit of a fool, but he would have checked up on it.

He probably has a US passport because he moved there when he was 16.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 10:55 am

Look people, I agree with people like Biltongbek and luckless pedestrian and scarletspiderman, I would feel uneasy about a non national representing MY NATION, but who are we to judge, come on, I want to see a team full of Welshies more than anything else, although Hanno did not come over here as a child and grow up here and get culterised (is that even a word), he has made it clear that he sees Wales as a top nation who he would like to play for, now for my money, I do not think he is good enough to get into the Welsh squad anyway, but we cannot all become the rugby police and start throwing moral rules around. At the end of the day I am Welsh, and if I was good enough I would only want to play for Wales, and if I were not good enough, I would still only want to play for Wales, but that is me and my views and my way of life, just because it is my choice, it does not give me the right to force it onto others, other people can do what they want as long as they do not break the rules. Biltong, how would you feel if the vegetarians of this world started to shout about you eating meat and tell you that you should only be eating vegetables, even though there is nothing wrong with eating meat, just because they see it as morally wrong, it does not mean that it is. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

biltongbek wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

The NH has the stronger currency and the economy, that is the reason why players move away. For a future in a professional rugby career.

Let us not confuse loyalty and patriotism and hence the representaion of a country with ambition to make money.

Your future looks like this, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, Fiji, SA, Namibia, Samoa, etc will all fund the richest countries.

So if China, Japan, USA, England and France decide they'll simply start buying players and not remotely care about developing sport in their countries.

You will find China will run out with two V D Merwe's, some Kiw's, Fijians etc, and the other rich countries as well.

We will then watch a world cup, where the richest countries fight it out for the Semi final spots, with a bunch of players from countries that cannot afford to keeep their players.

If that sits well with you, then I am afraid there is no hpe for sport to retain any sense of value.
You're being overly melodramatic and lumping all players in with the same attitude. Yes, there needs to be safeguards against 'poaching' but it's not as black and white as you're making out.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 am

sugarNspikes wrote:

And while he was in the States, he wanted to play for them. And if Heyneke Meyer gave him a call, he'd drop Wales like a hot leek. I object to that.

Spiderman, I'm 33, My mum's English and my dad's Welsh (a Gog, but they still count*).

* N.B. This is a joke.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri May 25, 2012 11:00 am

LordDowlais wrote:Look people, I agree with people like Biltongbek and luckless pedestrian and scarletspiderman, I would feel uneasy about a non national representing MY NATION, but who are we to judge, come on, I want to see a team full of Welshies more than anything else, although Hanno did not come over here as a child and grow up here and get culterised (is that even a word), he has made it clear that he sees Wales as a top nation who he would like to play for, now for my money, I do not think he is good enough to get into the Welsh squad anyway, but we cannot all become the rugby police and start throwing moral rules around. At the end of the day I am Welsh, and if I was good enough I would only want to play for Wales, and if I were not good enough, I would still only want to play for Wales, but that is me and my views and my way of life, just because it is my choice, it does not give me the right to force it onto others, other people can do what they want as long as they do not break the rules. Biltong, how would you feel if the vegetarians of this world started to shout about you eating meat and tell you that you should only be eating vegetables, even though there is nothing wrong with eating meat, just because they see it as morally wrong, it does not mean that it is. Ale

I see where your coming from lord, but my problem is he almost see's it as moving to a bigger club side. Playing for your national side is what you dream of as a player and what you aspire to reach. It is the pinnacle of being Welsh/English/Irish etc. Dirksen like you said is a decent player but not good enough for the international set up. Its humbling that he wants to play for Wales, but he's only doing it so he can stay with the Osprey's (Which is good for Osprey's obviously) and if he happened to keep out a young Welsh lad like a North or someone in the future and halt their progress, that wouldn't sit easy with me.

I'd probably change my tune if he scored the winning try to win us the WC in 2015!! laughing

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 11:02 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Just a few quick question. How old are the folk who want to see no issue with anyone playing for any national side, and where are they from? And likewise those who are against it?

I'm 36. I'm not saying I have no issue with the system (residency etc could be improved) but I think there is too much of a blanket assumption that these players are mercenaries and have no pride or ambition in playing for their adopted side. It's a tricky area but I think some are too quick to deny players the chance. In some cases in can mean players not being able to play international rugby at all.

Maybe I'm too liberal Wink

Seeing as your the older one of us, I would have to say that maybe the out-dated views have come full circel to being in-dated views (that sounds so wonky sorry).

I don't think we are classing these players as unloyal as such. I am pretty sure that Dirkson (& Paterson/Petorious for Wales, Waldrum for England etc) will give their all to what ever national side that they play for. There is no doubting that Dirkson is loyal as he has re-signed a contract with the Ospreys for another two years, and there are far less loyal Welsh players like Mike Phillips (don't think he has ever renewed a contract). However it is not about loyalty, it is about nationality. I think maybe the two are being blurred a bit.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:06 am

Lorddowlais, comparing a moral of vegetarians not to eat meat, which is in any way not a moral but a conscious decision on their part to protest the killing of animals put on this earth to feed people with the morals and values of society are two totally different things.

Sport is a tool of entertainment, international representation of YOUR nation is the ultimate goal, it is there for countries to measure themselves agains tother nation's best.

Professional sport has come into being, because sport is hghly entertaining and businesses has copped on to the idea that through sport they can market their products.

Television has strnegthened the professional era due to people all around the world wanting to see their teams and players compete.

Originally international sport was funded by governments and ticket sales, by virtue of the fact that sport has now become sponsored and run by private owned clubs and enterprises the morality of sport has disappeared.

I understand this is natural progression for sport to evolve, and thereby accept the fact that players will go after the money.

For that purpose already in SA, I can see provincialism dying due to the fact that players will finish their careers having played for almost every professional franchises in SA. For that purpose I no longer support any province as none of them are represented by their roots.

FOr me as I said a number of times before, Test rugby s the last stand against money ruining everything, once test rugby has evolved to the point whereby South Africa is represented by Welshman, Irishman, or any other nation where our players selected has not been developed by our system, I will no longer care to support the Springbok.

The fact is, the Springbok is a national treasure, represented by the Best of us. If it isn't that proud tradition and history is gone.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:09 am

sugarNspikes wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
sugarNspikes wrote:

You're being overly melodramatic and lumping all players in with the same attitude. Yes, there needs to be safeguards against 'poaching' but it's not as black and white as you're making out.

It may not be black and white yet, but it soon will be. And as far as being melodramatic, I consider myself to be a realist.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

Biltong, I can see you have very strong views on this but the players who choose this certain path are doing nothing wrong, I will repeat, nothing wrong. Look, I am not happy about the rules either, but there is nothing we can do about it, who are we to chastise these people for making the choices that they are free to make in our society ? Unless the rules are changed by the powers to be than we will all have to chill out and relax.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 am

To be fair of all of the nations out there the South Africans do have the most to worry about.

They have already lost a few players to the NH this season, and one of their agents has come out and said he is looking to qualify under residency for the RWC in 2015!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 am

lordowlais, there is no law that prohibits them from doing, I fully agree with you.

however as you see from my point of view, some things should just not be allowed to mutate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 11:14 am

martyr_94 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Look people, I agree with people like Biltongbek and luckless pedestrian and scarletspiderman, I would feel uneasy about a non national representing MY NATION, but who are we to judge, come on, I want to see a team full of Welshies more than anything else, although Hanno did not come over here as a child and grow up here and get culterised (is that even a word), he has made it clear that he sees Wales as a top nation who he would like to play for, now for my money, I do not think he is good enough to get into the Welsh squad anyway, but we cannot all become the rugby police and start throwing moral rules around. At the end of the day I am Welsh, and if I was good enough I would only want to play for Wales, and if I were not good enough, I would still only want to play for Wales, but that is me and my views and my way of life, just because it is my choice, it does not give me the right to force it onto others, other people can do what they want as long as they do not break the rules. Biltong, how would you feel if the vegetarians of this world started to shout about you eating meat and tell you that you should only be eating vegetables, even though there is nothing wrong with eating meat, just because they see it as morally wrong, it does not mean that it is. Ale

I see where your coming from lord, but my problem is he almost see's it as moving to a bigger club side. Playing for your national side is what you dream of as a player and what you aspire to reach. It is the pinnacle of being Welsh/English/Irish etc. Dirksen like you said is a decent player but not good enough for the international set up. Its humbling that he wants to play for Wales, but he's only doing it so he can stay with the Osprey's (Which is good for Osprey's obviously) and if he happened to keep out a young Welsh lad like a North or someone in the future and halt their progress, that wouldn't sit easy with me.

I'd probably change my tune if he scored the winning try to win us the WC in 2015!! laughing

If he realy did have this view then perhaps he would be trying to play for South Africa. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 am

Gentlemen at the end of the day, we all make our own decision as to under what circumstances we wil accept from other nation's players to represent us.

It is different for each society, I understand from the point of view where the UK is in a different situation to other nations where the home nations have an open door for each other and their citizens.

Perhaps that is why many of you have a more openminded attitude towards this.

I however don't see this as a good thing, and never will.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 am

Yes but then he couldn't play for SA, if you read the article he openly praises Wales as moving in the right direction and how he wants to be part of a winning side, to me that's just like a player moving to a better club side than his own. It also means he stays at the Osprey's. He's doing it for himself personally and wouldn't really be representing the people of Wales, only himself.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 am

biltongbek wrote:lordowlais, there is no law that prohibits them from doing, I fully agree with you.

however as you see from my point of view, some things should just not be allowed to mutate.

Yes Biltong, but there is nothing we can do about it, so we should just chill out and relax, on the plus side if the players are any good then they will play for South Africa, so everybody else are taking your dead wood, perhaps you should keep focusing all your frustration on Bryce Lawrence instead as I feel you are taking too much stress on. Wink Now it's nearly the weekend so have a beer and chill. zen Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 25, 2012 11:22 am

Exactly right, Martyr.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:23 am

It is my passion my friend, it will not easily chill.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 25, 2012 11:24 am

How about some real ale then, Biltong. That's served at room temperature. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am

martyr_94 wrote:Yes but then he couldn't play for SA, if you read the article he openly praises Wales as moving in the right direction and how he wants to be part of a winning side, to me that's just like a player moving to a better club side than his own. It also means he stays at the Osprey's. He's doing it for himself personally and wouldn't really be representing the people of Wales, only himself.

Well what would you expect him to do ? He is just trying to do what is best for himself, what would you have him do, stack shelves in Tesco's.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 11:26 am

Very Happy I am going to enjoy a few whiskey's this afternoon during our jamming session Luckless, so after a few Cat Stevens and Eagles songs and a few shots of whiskey, I'll be right as rain, until of course I get back to talking rugby.

Ah, but for a short respite. zen
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 11:29 am

biltongbek wrote: Very Happy I am going to enjoy a few whiskey's this afternoon during our jamming session Luckless, so after a few Cat Stevens and Eagles songs and a few shots of whiskey, I'll be right as rain, until of course I get back to talking rugby.

Ah, but for a short respite. zen

Thats the spirit Biltong.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri May 25, 2012 11:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:Yes but then he couldn't play for SA, if you read the article he openly praises Wales as moving in the right direction and how he wants to be part of a winning side, to me that's just like a player moving to a better club side than his own. It also means he stays at the Osprey's. He's doing it for himself personally and wouldn't really be representing the people of Wales, only himself.

Well what would you expect him to do ? He is just trying to do what is best for himself, what would you have him do, stack shelves in Tesco's.

Preferably Asda but the point is that every welsh player is playing for and representing their country because it was their dream to do so. Dirksen is just treating it like a club side who are moving in the right direction. I don't be grudge him for feeling like that, if I was in his position I would feel the same. Its just my personal opinion as a Welsh man OK

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri May 25, 2012 11:52 am

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Proof in a pudding is a health and saftey risk.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Fri May 25, 2012 11:58 am

Truth flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri May 25, 2012 11:59 am

Laugh
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri May 25, 2012 12:01 pm

sugarNspikes wrote:

If they were fully qualified to represent SA then there would be 15 South Africans on the field not the rag-tag group you describe. I think people need to get over this. Origin is viewed differently by different people.

Whether the residency rules should be made more stringent is another argument.

It's going to happen more and more. People need to get used to it.

People don't have to get used to anything.
I believe we are already seeing a trend towards supporters viewing their club/region as more important than their country. This is even happening in Ireland where a residency only qualified players hasn't played for the country in a decade.
More and more residentially qualfied palyers will only make this far more likely with significant numbers of supporters turning their backs on the national team - the next step is the club/provincial standard being higher - this is the way soccer has gone.

The day Ireland have 5+ residentially qualified players less than half the team born in Ireland is the day I stop supporting them

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 12:01 pm

If you tell a lie, you need to remember it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri May 25, 2012 12:03 pm

One in the kitchen making tea,
Two in the bedroom making three.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri May 25, 2012 12:03 pm

I've worked it out idea Each team needs to have a residential XV and a core indigenous XV - All sorted - Next topic please thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm

The wise man mocks the man,
the mocked man mocks the mocker.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 12:06 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I've worked it out idea Each team needs to have a residential XV and a core indigenous XV - All sorted - Next topic please thumbsup

That is a great idea, have a SA barbarian team and a springbok team.

Then let the two play each other. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri May 25, 2012 12:10 pm

All SA teams are Barbarians Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I've worked it out idea Each team needs to have a residential XV and a core indigenous XV - All sorted - Next topic please thumbsup

They already do this in New Zealand they are called the Moaries.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next