The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heyneke Meyer on winning.

+8
emack2
Taylorman
InjuredYetAgain
Bullsbok
fa0019
Rory_Gallagher
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heyneke Meyer on winning. Empty Heyneke Meyer on winning.

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 7:50 pm

Courtesy of Sport 24.

Cape Town - Coach Heyneke Meyer is patently clear about his primary task in charge of the Springboks - nothing but winning will suffice.

"I believe in two types of rugby; winning rugby and losing rugby, there is nothing in between for me," said the man entrusted with the fortunes of the Springboks over the next four years.

"I've always said attack puts bums on seats but defence wins games. I'll rather take an ugly win than lose a game playing great rugby," he said in an interview ahead of his debut series against England in June.

Former Leicester and Bulls coach Meyer, 44, took charge in January, succeeding the controversial Peter de Villiers.

There will no revolutionary change in approach or shift away from the tough physical game characteristic of South Africa for decades.

"I intend to play to South Africa's strengths which is great big forwards and skillful backs," Meyer added.

Any thoughts of the new coach carrying on with the colourful quotes and bizarre expressions voiced by De Villiers are quickly dispelled.

Meyer comes to the job after South Africa's failure to successfully defend their Rugby World Cup crown in New Zealand last year, where they lost in the quarter-finals to Australia, and at a time when many long serving players have ended their international careers.

"We had great players in 2007 (when the Boks won the World Cup in France) and in 2011 I thought we had some of the greatest players in world rugby but a lot of them have moved on now," he said.

"I'm very positive about the young players coming through and a lot have put up their hands in this year's Super Rugby championship and that makes me excited. My job will be picking the right guys, putting the right structures around them and creating the environment where they can excel."

Meyer is pragmatic about the pace of that transition and the prospect of recalls for the likes of scrumhalf Fourie du Preez, now playing club rugby in Japan, and lock Victor Matfield, retired to the television studio as an analyst, has dominated speculation around his first team selection and the identity of the next Springbok captain.

"I believe you need to go out and win every single Test match. I don't want to use a building phase as an excuse. I think with the right structures and planning, the next World Cup will take care of itself.

"That is a long-term goal but you need to also plan short term. It's difficult to plan more than six months ahead."

Meyer said the three-Test home series against England is his only focus for now, with any thoughts of the upcoming expanded Southern hemisphere series against New Zealand's All Blacks, Australia and Argentina are on hold.

"I would have liked to have had an easier start.

"I was very impressed with England in the Six Nations. What I took out of those games was that there is a lot of mental toughness. The first two games they were under a lot of pressure but in the end, beating France away from home was a huge, huge achievement.

"I think they will come here with a lot of confidence and going forward they are going to be a strong side for the next World Cup. Although they've got a lot of x-factor players and game beakers, they get the balance right. They have an unbelievable defence and they put a lot of pressure on the opposition with their defensive game."

South Africa host England on June 9, 16 and 23 in Durban, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth respectively.

"I'm a big believer you should play the right type of rugby for a particular game," added Meyer.

"I don't want to say we are going to play a specific type of rugby and then have to go back and bite my tongue. You need to study every opponent, look at their strengths and weaknesses and then adapt your game plan around that."

Well I suppose that is that then.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Heyneke Meyer on winning. Empty Re: Heyneke Meyer on winning.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 29 May 2012, 8:07 pm

So M Steyn in the team then without a doubt Biltong! censored

Would be interesting to see his theories on losing ugly and knowing whether that means you have to change your original thinking on winning ugly.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 29 May 2012, 8:09 pm

This guy seriously sounds like Kidney. The thing he doesn't realise, is that he won't win playing like that in the modern game..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 8:20 pm

I wonder if he believes Morne Steyn is his saviour.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 29 May 2012, 8:30 pm

I read articles like that and all it does is just remind me of the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 9:02 pm

once again this modern game phenomenon . Jesus christ .He said winning rugby and losing rugby he said nothing about the kick and chase his teams so famously use . You're already judging him and the Bok havent even suited up yet .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 29 May 2012, 9:05 pm

"I've always said attack puts bums on seats but defence wins games"

I think that completely sums up his game plan actually. With the name "Bullsbok" would you not say you are slightly biased here?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 9:07 pm

Bullsbok wrote:once again this modern game phenomenon . Jesus christ .He said winning rugby and losing rugby he said nothing about the kick and chase his teams so famously use . You're already judging him and the Bok havent even suited up yet .

what do you see envisage "ugly rugby" is, Bullsbok?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 9:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:"I've always said attack puts bums on seats but defence wins games"

I think that completely sums up his game plan actually. With the name "Bullsbok" would you not say you are slightly biased here?

Of course he is rory.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 9:13 pm

Okay so i'm a bull supporter that doesnt necessarily mean thats the reaosn i support Meyer. I supported Divvy with the Kick and Chase game plan , Jake white with the same where they Bulls ? I dislike this whole theory that the Springboks should blend in and try play like everyone else . We dont play flashy rugby , we never have!

The moment you try outrun the French , All blacks , Aussies even the Welsh you're in big trouble because thats their game . England , Springboks are knwon for abrasive forwards , good kicking , winning rugby . Thats how England became world Champions.Thats how the Boks became world Champions .And its not about this fictional modern game that everyone tries to BS about, kicking is very effective if done correctly.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 29 May 2012, 9:15 pm

I started a thread on this topic a while ago and was a bit surprised as the vast majority of posters preferred winning ugly (an L Cullen from Leinster seemed to vote a lot Very Happy !) but when you are asking people to pay a shed of cash for a ticket, I am not sure SARU's marketing dept will thank the coach for this declaration of intent

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 29 May 2012, 9:15 pm

Bullsbok wrote:Okay so i'm a bull supporter that doesnt necessarily mean thats the reaosn i support Meyer. I supported Divvy with the Kick and Chase game plan , Jake white with the same where they Bulls ? I dislike this whole theory that the Springboks should blend in and try play like everyone else . We dont play flashy rugby , we never have!

The moment you try outrun the French , All blacks , Aussies even the Welsh you're in big trouble because thats their game . England , Springboks are knwon for abrasive forwards , good kicking , winning rugby . Thats how England became world Champions.Thats how the Boks became world Champions .And its not about this fictional modern game that everyone tries to BS about, kicking is very effective if done correctly.

It isn't fictional though, the laws have quite clearly changed since then.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 29 May 2012, 9:16 pm

Also, from what I have seen, SA certainly have players capable of playing an expansive attacking game. Plus it isn't like Wales play with an exciting back line. They have a back line of huge lumps. I wouldn't say they are particularly skilful guys..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 29 May 2012, 9:20 pm

Bullsbok

To be honest dude I agree with you.

SA are at their best when they play to their own style. They play best when they play 8 "beasts" up front and run a conservative backline with a good kicking 10, 2 large centres smashing holes in the opposition backline and pacy wings to finish off attacks.

Who cares if the rest of the world hates it.

SA in the end is the only country in world rugby which packs stadiums which would rival European football attendances. They must be doing something right.... that or generally we've got nothing better to do Smile

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 29 May 2012, 9:22 pm

"Don't fix what isn't broken" doesn't really apply here though does it? I think teams need to start adapting or they are going to fall behind. Look at what has happened to Ireland since 2009 for example.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 9:25 pm

Bullsbok, you are missing the whole point of what I have been saying for I don't know how long.

I am not now, nor have I ever said we must play like anyone else.

I have always maintained that we need to keep to our strengths.

What I have been advocating to death is that we need VARIETY in our attack.

This is 2012, not 2009.

The break down law has changed. The defender ie Brussow doesn't have first right to ball anymore. Hence giving the ball to the opposition means you have to provide daylight before you go for the ball.

Hence you also need to keep ball in hand. The only way you can do that is to keep defences guessing.

When Morne Stey stands deep in the pocket, HE WILL NOT break the gain line, or beat a defender. Having a backline with Fourie du Preez, Morne Steyn and Jean de Villiers at 9, 10, 12 means there are no playmakers that can keep the defences honest.

It is predictable, either the box kixk from du Preez, or Morne, or the classic, 9, 10, 12 pass and crashball from Jean. Otherwise it is crashball from a forward from a standing start, and repeat.

Now and then the wing will be employed in a telegraphed move from Steyn who is once again deep and having a wing run in off his shoulder 10 meters from the advantage line gains nothing excepr for a defender seeing the wing coming,

Then we have the 9, 8, 10 move close to the line.

Everyone knows it, there is no team out there that haven't seen these moves over and over again.

By having a backline with players that hasn't been moulded by White (when it still worked) and PDV who didn't change a thing will provide us with Hougaard, Lambie, Frans at 9, 10, 12 that can snipe, stand flat, break the gain line and offload to a player in space.

I just want to see us use the opportunity better once we have earned the right to go wide.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 9:30 pm

Funny you should mention Lambie who also plays deep in the pocket believe it or not.. Wink
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 9:34 pm

Bullsbok, he also plays flat, when you look at his linebreaks you will realise that.

what I want to know from you is whether you get where I a going with this?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 29 May 2012, 9:40 pm

What BB says does have a point... there's little point have guys who can do 10.4 for the 100 metres chasing high balls all day but little else.

With Frans or Lambie playing at 12 SA will be more balanced. They will be able to get the backline running better than Morne can. Morne has his worth however.
Nothing beats a guy with ice in his veins to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Maybe Goosen or Lambie can prove they have those skills but its a different story at club level to test. We'll just have to wait and see.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 9:41 pm

FA, he can keep the scoreboard ticking over from 15.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 9:54 pm

biltongbek wrote:FA, he can keep the scoreboard ticking over from 15.

I do get your point , yes we need a bit more variety in the gameplan or rather the personel . My point however is we cant just abandon SA style to blend in with the crowd. The game wont stop evolving and if we keep changing our game its just going to become easier for teams to beat the Springboks. Look on the flip side , the All blacks are an expansive team,they have always been known as an expansive team they'll always be an expansive team.thats why they're so good they've had the same gameplan for ages .If every team is trying to play more expansively to counter the All blacks they wont win , they've done it for longer they're players grown up from a young age learning to throw the ball around. Future Boks grow up learning to be dominant , brutal even .thats how we beat the Blacks,not by copying them but by refining our game. Play traditional Bok rugby , Kick ,chase hard and punish them at the tackle point get the ball and bring in the big runners like fa0019 said . It worked in 09 it will work again.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 10:02 pm

It worked in 09 it will work again.
In 2009, New Zealand didn't get their balance right by having enough players in the back three who could kick well enoguh to releive the pressure, so their tactic was to try and run the ball from everywhere, it back fired big time, since then they have learned and hence now focus on having players that are competent not only with the boot but also better in the air.

The theory about incessantly kikcing like in 2009 won't be as effective anyomre for two reasons, NZ have adapted and now how to counter that now, secondly the need for executing that plan to perfection is now more vital than ever becuase if it doesn't work there is no plan B.

You saw the Bulls against the Chiefs, they ran out of ideas, having to settle for the bonus point loss as their pick and drives their kicking brought nothing when required,

Therefor as I am saying , to keep on looking like a team on attack that cannot offer any variety is going to lose you matches.

The Stormers has the same problem, they dont attack enough, having the best defence but not being able to score enough points when necessary will cost them the Super XV title.

Only once this season the Stormers were able to score more than 27 points.

What happens when they play in a knock out match and the opponents do get 4 tries, they won't know how to catch up.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 May 2012, 10:05 pm

Fantastic coach, if he gets south Africa playing to his style we are all screwed, can't see england getting with in two scores in any of the games

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 10:06 pm

biltongbek wrote:
It worked in 09 it will work again.
You saw the Bulls against the Chiefs, they ran out of ideas, having to settle for the bonus point loss as their pick and drives their kicking brought nothing when required,.

Did you see the first half of that game? The Chiefs had no answer to the Bulls kicking display. When they get it right the Bulls are unstoppable as Saders found out a several weeks ago.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 10:09 pm

The point is they need to get it right all the time.

I think I am flogging a dead horse here, I am having the same debate on another website, it seems when your blood is blue the writing is on the wall, it says "In Heyneke we trust" and next to it the small print says "even if it goes wrong"
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 10:12 pm

I will end this by saying, he's the top rated coach in South Africa and theres three things that we can do about it . 1. be against him from the word go because we think he's got a negative gameplan or 2 . unyielding support for the Springbok Coach for the next 4 years. 3. Bash him like we did PDV and ignore his achievments
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 10:20 pm

I reserve judgement on every coach until he has proven himself.

He was very successful at building a squad for the Bulls which stood them and SA in good stead until 2009.

I haven't seen him coach in the last 3 years so don't know whether he will adapt his methodology of winning tests with the new laws.

My concern is valid.

He wants to win yes, he says he is impressed with the talent in the country, but then he says an ugly win is still a win, and first tries to get Victor, then Fourie, then the picture starts unfolding whereby he surrounds himself with bulls assistant, attacking etc coaches.

Now that may not be a bad thing, but after reading some passages of Victor's book it is clear that Meyer, Fourie du Preez and Matfield are very, very tight.

And that is starting to concern me.

Last edited by biltongbek on Tue 29 May 2012, 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 10:25 pm

biltongbek wrote:I reserve judgement on every coach until he has prven himself.

He was very succesful at building a squad for the Bulls which stood them and SA in good stead until 2009.

I haven;t seen him coach in the last 3 years so don't know whether he will adapt his methodlogy of winning tests with the new laws.

My concern is valid.

He wants to win yes, he says he is impressed with the talent in the country, but then he says an ugly win is still a wn, and first tries to get Victor, then Fourie, then the picture starts unfolding whereby he surrounds himself with bulls assistant, attacking etc coaches.

Now that may not be a bad thing, but after readin some passages of Victor's book it is clear that Meyer, Furie du Preez and Matfield are very, very tight.

And that is starting to concern me.

what about it is starting to concern you? Obviously Meyer is doing something right if these seasoned professionals have so much belief in him? Hell Du Preez will only come out of retirement for Heyneke Meyer. Maybe its the fact he made them super rugby champs and his philosophies allowed them to lift the trophy twice more . As for the bulls coaches?they're the most succesful club in South Africa once again maybe they know what they're doing .would you rather Sharks coaches? Eddie Jones?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 29 May 2012, 10:28 pm

Thing for me is he's taken a stand and thats to be applauded. Its when he starts getting, or not getting results that give meaning to his words, which is all they are now, as is the case with Hansen and any new coach.

Fact is by taking the same approach as previously he needs to fill a gap quickly. He has the same or similar plan for the backs, and has lost a huge advantage in terms of experience in the forwards.

The sum of which must mean a degradation in performance.

Would last years Boks have beaten this years? I'd say thats an emphatic Yes.

The Chiefs Bulls match was typical of how I think this years AB Bok matches will go with SA relying on forward power and Steyns goalkicks. It would have been an ugly win but it wasn't. Attack overcame power with the tries that eventually came.

That is the risk Meyer takes with him in this tenure. To say SA have always been at their best when theyve used the power of the forwards as the base is also the case when they've been at their worst so what does that comment mean.

To ignore rule changes that are designed specifically to open the game up and favour teams who attempt to use the ball will go against them, and they'll put themselves at an immediate disadvantage.

But he will know that and that is the risk he will take.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 10:29 pm

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want another coah, I want assurance from him, that he recognises the fact that we need some change. For now he can explain his actions because there is little time to prepare, but I am hoping is that he is not clinging on to a methodology that worked in 2009.

If that is the case, I foresee no improvement in our record.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 10:30 pm

@biltong , meyer sorroundinghimself with Bulls coaches is the equivalent of Pep Guardiola being given the Spanish Coach job and sorrounding himself with Barca assistant coaches Very Happy
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 29 May 2012, 10:45 pm

One thing I would say is that to have an expansive backline running game you need confidence, confidence in your own ability and that of your teammates.

Meyer knows that to build a successful side he needs to instill a winning mentality which the boks haven't had for 2 years. This will take time. The best way to build this confidence is to win matches.

ENG last year hit rock bottom.... their 4 wins in 5 in the 6N when most posters saw them losing 4 out of 5 galvanised the team to a point most now think that they'll win at least 1 test match in this series and break the 0-8 losing streak or whatever its been to SA in the process.

Take the pressure off before running risks. If SA lose playing an attacking game when by near all accounts a more conservative approach should see them home and dry against ENG and they'll be slaughtered and the pressure will be intolerable... I can't wait Smile

However a good mix of kicking and running is the ideal gameplan; keep players guessing, should they keep men out of the defensive line in case you chip or kick, put men in the line for a possible drop goal which leaves the back exposed? Thats the policy which wins test matches at the highest level.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 10:47 pm

However a good mix of kicking and running is the ideal gameplan; keep players guessing, should they keep men out of the defensive line in case you chip or kick, put men in the line for a possible drop goal which leaves the back exposed? Thats the policy which wins test matches at the highest level

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it, doesn't it?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 29 May 2012, 11:09 pm

Yes agree and theres a lot of that going on at sxv, particularly out wide where theres a lot of league last tackle style chip throughs and players latching onto them. Personally Im not in favour of this as an attack as it brings the 50/50 bounce of the ball into play- and thats what I dislike about league. 6 tackle kick, 6 tackle kick, 6 tackle bomb the line or chip through and hope its your players that fall on it first.

For me a run in try is the epytomy of the game but for variations sure.

We deployed 3 fullbacks against the SA style where it was a must to take the high balls. Dont see that changing though with Jane out we're a bit short there.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 29 May 2012, 11:19 pm

Heynke Meyer has the right approach for me in some things,A win is a win,and don`t throw a single match.There I agree he will play to traditional Bok strengths .Big Forwards,Solid defence,skilful backs,goal kicks etc.
It remains to be seen if there forwards can dominate,there Scrum by the best Bok standards.Has`nt been anything special since Oz DuRand retired.Lineout without Matfield and Botha we will have to see too.Bulls at HOME beat the Crusaders narrowly it was`nt a Blow out [about 7 or less points].ALL scored by Morne Steyn.a converted try,a drop,and 8 penalties.Crusaders indiscipline cost them the match,who incidentally have only just started firing.SA sides at home win most matches in the Super 14/5.IF the Bulls have to play say Crusaders or Chiefs AWAY in the Final and win THEN you have a point.
The AllBlacks and OZ will have to adapt too incidentally post 1949,the Boks produced some teams.That played brilliant running rugby,a great Tour to UK 1951-2.My relatives still talk about the Murray field masscre beating Scotland 44-0.After that using this style they went into decline drawing v Lions 1955,Wallabies same period.Losing series to Nz for the first time 1956,then France 1958.They then went back to type 1960 on boring but very effective. Watched them locally here 1961 not the most absorbing one I have seen.
Incidentally the AllBlacks played the same style 1950- 65 and only narrowly lost one series Boks 1960,2-1-1in that time.For Morne Steyn read Don Clarke for a lot of that period .DB was on the losing side 3 times in about 30 starts,I expect the Boks to do well this year.
Maybe the All Blacks will carry on the tradition of RWC winners be beaten by all and sundry post RWC.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 29 May 2012, 11:55 pm

It could well be a successful formula for him. My thoughts are this years ruck interpretation could favour defensive kick and chase rugby anyway. A number of coaches (e.g. McKenzie) have already noted that rucks in your own half are high risk this year.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 May 2012, 12:25 am

emack2 wrote:Maybe the All Blacks will carry on the tradition of RWC winners be beaten by all and sundry post RWC.

Sorry Alan,
As you know that tradition doesnt apply to the AB's though it is largely caused by them. Last time they won it it took 3 years to lose a test. Hardly beaten all in sundry...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 30 May 2012, 12:40 am

Yeah Taylor - that's the kind of tradition that I would like to see. Of course that would result in Aus winning the WC in 2015. Dang!
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 May 2012, 1:45 am

Yes it could well do. They deserved it in 1991 when we didnt replace our players as quickly as we should have. 1990 we hit the wall...

But in reality WCups are about on the day. Form doesnt necessarily win them. 03 perhaps and maybe the 2 Oz ones... hopefully we have all our 11 players replaced bar one or two by end of next year...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 May 2012, 6:51 am

Meyer's 2007 gameplan will work against any team that we are superior to physically, of course it will.

If you aren't organised as a forward pack and not defensivley strong this plan will work at least half the time, the only thing I feel we need is the ability to go to plan B or another step if you will.

Look at the way the cheetahs are able to play with ball in hand, now I agree it can be risky at times, but at least when you have the ability to use the ball in hand you give yourself a fighting chance when the opponent outscores you and leads by 15 or more.

We all know that the Boks can and have strangled all teams in the past and that it is what they are good at, but if the dam wall breaks, which happens half the time we play the All Blacks, the 2007 game plan is not suffiecient,
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 30 May 2012, 12:56 pm

Several points here,Taylorman ,I was speaking tongue in cheek BUT 1987 was the exception that proves the rule[more or less].There main weapon the driving maul was neutered by a law change[typical].At test level the best the backs can expect is 50/50 possession between tier1 sides.WHAT you do afterwards with the ball is what matters.The ruling is now back now to 2009.THE best Super sides this year by win/losses Stormers.Chiefs are also those with the best defensive record.Coaches especially new ones win first,bother about how second.Having a team built around one man Don Clarke,Morne Steyn,Jonny Wilkinson is fine.A restricted plan using there talents will win you most of your matches,a Penalty or Drop being the decisive Weapon.BUT it will also stifle talent of players who want to play,AND more so now go abroad for money.
A famous NZ author wrote a book on the subject on the Clarke period "AllBlacks in Chains" get a copy if you can.It will put things into perpective.
A plan B should be required of all Coaches,it may well have mean`t a RWC final place for the AB`s in 2007 instead of losing to France.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 30 May 2012, 1:18 pm

I think that one of the reasons that England have inproved so much is that they are returning to a powerful scrum, they have improved alot in defense and beleive they can win.

If SA have the biggest pack in the world they will win loads of penalties except against maybe NZ, Eng and Fra.

With a good defense they will keep out all but NZ and Aus and maybe wales and France on their days.

SA also has some exciting backs and I think that is key. Few teams if any will have the upper hand in the pack against them so if they are smart with their back play they will be great.

I think the Boks will play like Clermont

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 May 2012, 1:46 pm

"I've always said attack puts bums on seats but defence wins games"

When Meyer was at the Tigers he did put tactical kicking and rock solid defence high on the list right alongside set piece strength. Which wasn't a bad thing as it gave the team (which was reeling from the Loffreda debacle) a solid platform to work from. The Saffas are in a similar mess to the Tigers in that some of the older players have moved on and younger players are in at key positions. Starting with that solid base is a good place to be and it is exactly what Lancaster did when he took over with England.

Meyer was encouraging slightly more attacking intent when he was forced to leave early but pretty much his first act in charge at Tigers was to bring in a forward thinking attack coach in Matt O'Connor. Meyer wants that solid base but he will want to attack once he has the team drilled how he wants.

This quote should emphasise what I'm saying:

"I intend to play to South Africa's strengths which is great big forwards and skillful backs," Meyer added.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 May 2012, 1:54 pm

Sam, that is entirely what you expect from SA, why not use set piece and a strong forward pack with our physicality?

What Meyer needs to once as you said, he got the basics in place is to look at how to keep defences guessing.

Our double teaming pockets of forwards is predictable, and although you do gain some ground with it, to continue attacking phase after pahse with that is stale and expected.

A dummy runner or two every now ans then, a Frans Steyn hitting the gainline and offloading into space, a midfield rushing up on attack and the fullback taking it from deep on a different angle, etc.

Something that will come in handy when the game is locked up 10-10 and you need points.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 May 2012, 2:18 pm

A dummy runner or two every now ans then, a Frans Steyn hitting the gainline and offloading into space, a midfield rushing up on attack and the fullback taking it from deep on a different angle, etc

That is the stuff that's hard to organise with a squad that's only together for a short period of time though. What I was saying and what Meyer is hinting at is that short term getting the teams defence and basic structures right will be the overriding concern with the right mix of new younger players brought in. Once that is in place the skillfull backs will be utilised. Frustrating for the fans (I certainly wasn't a fan with England doing exactly the same thing over the 6N) but it will most likely get the best immeadiate results.

Meyer is more than a 'stuff it up your jumper' or failing that 'put some snow on it and organise a chase' sort of coach. He'll do good things in time just don't expect them against England and don't right him off.

The Boks should win against England during this tour but they'll be needing to blood some talent in the process, I'm quite looking forward to it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Yes, I agree interplay in 3 days are impossible to practice, but that is what we need to aspire to.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 30 May 2012, 5:27 pm

Yes its all about combinations working together. One of the reasons we stick to sxv players only. And we always struggle to get going so bringing in a 9 and 12 around steyn might take a while though the three have played together before.

Meyer says some good things. Hes direct and has set his expectation of the forwards who need to fire to fulfil his goals

Not sure how he defines 'skillful backs'. Almost said as complementery to the 'real work' in the forwards.

For me its still a limiting approach but will get SA through most tests. Cant see them winning the 4N with it though with most of this year being spent developing the forwards.

Just hope he doesnt resort to 'the forwards didnt live up to my expectations' a sure sign of a poor gameplan, based around half a team.

The basis of rugby is forwards are there to win the ball. The backs to score the tries. Simple really.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 30 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Forwards win games , backs decide by how much.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 May 2012, 5:35 pm

You're both wrong, the referee decides. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 30 May 2012, 5:36 pm

Its okay biltong , Bryce wont hurt you now Wink
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next