The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Narine in for Roach...interesting

+2
Stella
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
6 posters

Go down

Narine in for Roach...interesting Empty Narine in for Roach...interesting

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 31 May 2012, 10:52 am

So Sunil Narine has been called up to replace the injured roach for the rest of the Windies tour. After his wicket taking exploits in the ipl hes a no brainer selection for the limited overs matches but how will he go in tests and how will they balance the team around him?
England are well known for struggling against mystery chuckers spinners but he wont have the help of players (except Kp) trying to hit him over the stands every second ball or the amount of turn he got on the IPL pitches.
Is he really the real deal for tests or could this be another case of "why the hell am i flying halfway round the world to stand around in the cold for 5 days just for the opportunity to get creamed and my 2013 IPL value reduced".

Hes massively inexperienced in all forms but has monstrous figures in all formats so surely worth a punt for the Windies if his fitness levels are up to it? Im assuming he will get trotted out in the Leicestershire game, its not much of a warm up and not much of a chance to get used to the conditions for a kid if he is going to make his debut but whats the other option...Tino Best?
Hes always stepped up when thrown in at the deep end. Sure tehres a good chance it could go horribly wrong but Id like to see Windies take a risk and try something magic.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Narine in for Roach...interesting Empty Re: Narine in for Roach...interesting

Post by Stella Thu 31 May 2012, 11:30 am

I assume Best will replace Roach and Narine, Shilly?

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu 31 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Shillingford has been fairly woeful, especially given England's usual performance against spin. I would also assume that Best and Narine will both play with Shillingford missing out. The Windies are surely not going to take two spinners - especially when one of them goes for 5 or so an over!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 31 May 2012, 12:41 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:Shillingford has been fairly woeful, especially given England's usual performance against spin. I would also assume that Best and Narine will both play with Shillingford missing out. The Windies are surely not going to take two spinners - especially when one of them goes for 5 or so an over!

That would also leave Sammy opening the bowling!

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 31 May 2012, 12:49 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:Shillingford has been fairly woeful, especially given England's usual performance against spin. I would also assume that Best and Narine will both play with Shillingford missing out. The Windies are surely not going to take two spinners - especially when one of them goes for 5 or so an over!

England's batsman have actually been incredibly successful against spinners at home. The problems arise when they get spin from both ends, in helpful conditions, and before the batsmen are in. And of course Ajmal is world class.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Thu 31 May 2012, 1:15 pm

I'd assume that the WIndies will go for Rampaul, Edwards, Sammy an Narine, so that neither Best nor Shillingford play,

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 31 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Any option is hardly awe inspiring is it. Its a tough introduction for the kid if he is preferred to Shillingford.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 31 May 2012, 11:31 pm

England's problem is really mystery spinners, as suggested. One poor innings against Herath where they got their tactics badly messed up notwithstanding.

Shillingford is average, a bit like a right-handed Michael Beer, in that he bowls fairly flat and relies on bite off the wicket which he won't get here. I am not at all surprised England took a liking to him.

Narine looks a good bowler, and has more turn and importantly bounce than Mendis, which may mean he may still be successful once people start reading him more. More impressive than his wicket-taking was his economy in the IPL (a shade over 5, in a tournament where big scores were the norm rather than the exception) which suggests outstanding control. I feel he'll be very successful in his early stages of his test career. Certainly he should have played against Australia and from the start of the tour here. He is in a different league to Shillingford.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down