The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime

+11
Imperial Ghosty
Rodney
AlexHuckerby
fearlessBamber
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
Josef K.
Union Cane
Seanusarrilius
Steffan
88Chris05
15 posters

Go down

The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime Empty The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 3:09 pm

Good afternoon, fellas. Hope you're all well.

Allow me to get some of the uglier points out of the way; this is a long article, and I can only apologise for my rambling on! That said, in recent times I've been left with little doubt - the Light-Heavyweight division is my favourite of the lot, in a historical sense. Charismatic figures, a string of wonderful champions and, most importantly, I believe more great title fights than any other weight class. And so, it's been a labour of love for me to write up my take on my favourites, and present them to you.

Obviously, much like ranking fighters, ranking the fights themselves is a highly personal and subjective task. Some of the fights listed here aren't classics in the conventional sense, but have been selected because of their historical value. Some have been selected because they offer a host of interesting talking points, and can be interpreted differently by just about any individual who watches them. Others, of course, have been picked simply because they were amongst the greatest bouts ever recorded, and therefore become a must for any fan.

Luckily, I have always had numerous means of watching fights which interest me, but in case anyone amongst us hasn't seen any of the fights in question, I've made sure that each one listed is readily available, from start to finish, on YouTube. To give my selections and rankings some context, I have included a short account of the fight through my own eyes (the 'skinny' - yes, we're going old school here, lads!) and also an explanation as to why I've chosen that particular fight.

If anyone hasn't seen the fights yet, then I'd take no umbrage to you just seeing which ones I've listed and skipping the 'skinny'. However, I'm hoping that this list will at least generate some debate amongst those who are familiar with the bouts (and I'm sure that applies to most of you fine people) or who, like me, have a great interest in the history of the 175 lb men.

Oh, and yes - I'm aware that my 'Ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime' list actually includes eleven fights; I can only apologise, firstly for my clear inability to keep track of the numbers between one and ten, and secondly because I'm too much of a stubborn so and so to trim my list down to make allowance for my mistake!

And so, without further ado, I give you my list of the ten (no wait, sorry, I mean eleven) Light-Heavyweight title fights any boxing fan must see in their lifetime. Enjoy - or should that be endure?

# 11 - John Conteh W TKO 3 Len Hutchins, WBC title, 1977

The skinny: This was Conteh's first fight back in his home city of Liverpool since lifting the WBC crown against the Argentine Jeorge Ahumada, and the sheer adrenaline seemed to force him to perhaps his best ever display. The American Hutchins was a hard, seasoned contender who'd shared the ring with some fine names in the 175 lb division and was roundly expected to give Conteh a tough fight. However, he became the architecht of his own downfall - you just don't try to 'outnasty' John Conteh. A clash of heads in the first round ruffled the challenger's feathers, and he aimed a torrent of abuse at Conteh after the bell sounded, and spent the one minute break complaining to his corner. Never one to become passive in the face of pure aggression, the red mist descended on Conteh, who promptly bullied and hooked Hutchins all over the ring with contempt, closing the show in the third round with a perfect left over the top.

Why it's here: From the outset, this wasn't a remarkable fight; it lacked any real ebb and flow, it was of no great significance to the history of the division and nor was it considered an upset in anyway. However, I've selected it on the grounds of the sheer potential Conteh shows in it. He should have been one of the greats - and this performance hints at that more than any other. Before injuries and management issues took their toll, this was the kind of mayhem he was capable of, and you can't help but wonder what might have been when you see his beautifully-balanced mixture of ability and pure killer instinct here.

# 10 - Michael Spinks W PTS 15 Dwight Muhammad Qawi, Undisputed title, 1983

The skinny: This was the fight the Light-Heavyweight division needed; Spinks, the cultured and unbeaten WBA champion, facing off against the 'Camden Buzzsaw' Dwight Muhammad Qawi, the WBC title holder, to see who was the real king of the 175 lb division. A cursory glance at both men in action would seem to point to an easy night for Spinks, but it was anything but. A famously difficult opponent to figure out, Qawi proved his right to have worn the famous green belt by extending Spinks more than any other Light-Heavyweight managed over fifteen gruelling rounds, but Spinks produced a fine effort in the fifteenth to make sure of a close, but not at all controversial decision.

Why it's here: Well, in the truest sense, this was a proper boxing match. Moreover, it was perhaps the epitome of a 'style matchup.' As someone who tends to think that bouts are generally more interesting if there is a clash of styles, you can't help but be fascinated by this, as the two men in question were about as different as it gets. Spinks, tall and slim with great skills at range. Qawi short and squat, but blessed with an upper body which would look only a little out of place at a Mr. Olympia contest, and a relentless brawler. That said, he does show off some of his vastly underrated defensive skills in this bout (excellent head movement, forcing his opponent to punch down etc). When even the great Spinks can't get his jab working properly against you, you're surely doing something right. The fight's historical importance shouldn't be underestimated either - this was the moment that Spinks went from being one of the best Light-Heavyweights of his own time to one of the greatest Light-Heavyweights of all time.

# 9 - Thomas Hearns W PTS 12 Virgil Hill, WBA title, 1991

The skinny: In 1991, Virgil Hill was 30-0, and this was to be the eleventh defence of the WBA Light-Heavyweight crown he'd won four years earlier. He was fast, skilled and had built up a huge following in his home state of North Dakota, in spite of his light-punching style. He was in the prime of his life, too, a stark contrast to Hearns, who'd been slowly on the slide ever since Marvin Hagler stopped him inside those three incredible rounds in a Middleweight title bid in 1985. However, Hearns tore up the script in style. Hill took the first three rounds thanks to his aforementioned speed, but as the fight wore on, Hearns began setting traps by virtue of his timing and counter-punching. Experience triumphed over youth, with Tommy eventually carving out a close but well-deserved decision to add to his almost never-ending collection of titles.

Why it's here: Including a fight which was won by a man who spent the best years of his career at the lower weights may seem odd, however I find it impossible to leave it out. First and foremost, it was just an excellent boxing display from the two men - no punches being winged in from their boot laces and the like. Next, it was the last great moment of Hearns' career, an unexpected reminder of the great fighter he'd been all those years before. But more than anything, it was how he won it which makes me consider this arguably Tommy's finest hour. Everyone knew he could punch. When he could bulldoze an opponent, it was no problem. However, Tommy's ring IQ had never been a strong suit, with his lack of it taking much of the blame for his defeats to Leonard, Hagler and Barkley.

And yet, it was his intelligence which won him this fight. After those first three rounds, you'll note a change in the way Hearns carries his attacks - he realises that he can't outspeed Hill (Hill's jab was like greased lightening in 1991), and so switches to the counter and relies on nothing more than superb timing and conservation of energy by focusing on quality rather than quantity of punch. All round, a superb win for Hearns.

# 8 - Jeff Harding W TKO 12 Dennis Andries, WBC title, 1989

The skinny: Dennis Andries, one of the most remarkable characters in the history of British boxing, was enjoying some much-deserved late career success in 1990. He was at least thirty-seven, although his true age was always debatable, since he always claimed to be much older. Whatever the truth, he was in his second tenure as WBC champion and was a much improved fighter under the tutelage of legendary Kronk trainer Emmanuel Steward, almost unrecognisable from the unpromising raw material who had been booed out of the ring after his feeble first bid for the British title against Tom Collins seven years previously. He was the favourite to retain his crown against the pug-nosed, snarling Australian Harding, who arrived with an impressive KO record against non-descript oppisition down under. However, the younger man proved he had guts to go with his power, absorbing many punishing blows (as well as some stray elbows from Andries), and gave as good as he got. The Guayana-born Brit scored a highly questionable knockdown in the middle rounds and, though the fight had been a brutal one, held a lead going in to the twelfth and final stanza. However, he'd tottered on the brink of being stopped in the eleventh, and that one minute break clearly wasn't enough; realising that the champion was still hurt and groggy, Harding tore in to him right away in the twelfth, flooring him twice. Andries, as ever, was brave, rising each time. But he was a beaten man and, after another barrage of unanswered blows, the referee threw his arms around him to signal the end of an epic contest.

Why it's here: Quite simply, because it was one of the best fights at Light-Heavyweight in the modern era. Not particularly significant in the grand scheme of things, and neither man can command a place amongst the elite of 175 lb. But the two of them staged a fabulous, white-knuckle trilogy, with this being the best installment and, even in defeat, Andries showed all the ingredients which made him perhaps the one British fighter of his era who commanded respect like no other.

# 7 - Willie Pastrano W PTS 15 Harold Johnson, Undisputed title, 1963

The skinny: In 1963, with Archie Moore gone, Harold Johnson was finally getting his moment in the sun. The Philadelphian (who I still firmly believe is worthy of the 'forgotten great' title) had been rated amongst the very best Light-Heavyweights in the world for over a decade. He'd lost an epic tussle for Moore's world title in 1954 (which we'll get to in a little while), and, when Moore refused to fight him again after that, picked up the NBA title which had been stripped from the 'Old Mongoose.' And when Moore retired in 1963, Johnson beat Doug Jones to claim universal recognition, at long last. Sadly, at thirty-five, he was already past his best by this point. Nevertheless, he was still roundly expected to beat Pastrano, a true craftsman who had a great deal of ability, but lacked the discipline to go with it. As his trainer Angelo Dundee said, "He always preferred a pretty girl to a session in the gym." A prodigious womaniser, he had seven children to multiple women before he hit thirty and, having dropped decisions to serviceable at best fighters in his previous few outings, he was considered nothing more than a decent run out for Johnson, who was in line for a Heavyweight title shot at Sonny Liston, no less - Sonny himself can be seen at ringside, keenly observing. However, in a big upset, Pastrano boxed a disciplined fight, moving, feinting and jabbing like a scaled-up version of Willie Pep, and took a highly controversial split decision and the title.

Why it's here: Again, while this was an intriguing fight, it wasn't a classic. That said, I've long believed that Pastrano was a wasted talent and one of the big underachievers in boxing history. If you watch this fight, you'll see what I mean. When on form, he had the lot, aside from a big punch. Incredible footwork, a quick jab of great accuracy, cat-like reflexes and a tight defence. When Pastrano was in full flow and negating an opponent, you could easily see why they call boxing the "sweet science." The decision was controversial - although I have no qualms with it, feeling as I do that Willie deserved to nick it by a point or two - but the fight itself was a demonstration of what the hugely talented Pastrano could do when he was fully focused. The way he effortlessly floats around the ring and counters is a thing of beauty.

# 6 - Charles Williams W TKO 9 Bobby Czyz, IBF title, 1987

The skinny: Bobby Czyz was destined to win this fight. Or so everyone thought, at least. An exciting fighter with a telegenic personality, Czyz was building a great fan base in America at the time, and this Vegas fight was designed to be another stepping stone to his eventual domination of the Light-Heavyweight division. Williams, arriving with an unspectacular record, was widely expected to offer little threat. And early on, everything went according to plan. Bobbing, weaving and throwing a great variety of punches, Czyz looked a million dollars in the opener, and floord the challenger with a booming straight right in the final moments of the second round. The bell, perhaps, saved Williams, who was forced to take another count in the third. What then ensued was a truly incredible comeback. As if galvanised by the hostile, pro-Czyz crowd, Williams began some bobbing and weaving of his own. The naturally bigger man, he began to turn it in to an inside fight, and overhelmed Czyz with short left hooks and uppercuts. By the seventh, the ringside doctor was anxiously examining Czyz's right eye, which was becoming little more than a slit - fearing the worst, the champion rallied splendidly to win the eighth, but the ninth was Williams', who just couldn't miss with his left hook by now. After nine thrilling rounds, the ringside doctor decided that Czyz had no business carrying on and waved the fight off - a remarkable triumph for a man, in Williams, who'd seemed totally down and out just six rounds earlier.

Why it's here: This is, perhaps, an odd choice. However, it was one hell of a fight, and to call it action-packed wouldn't do it justice at all. I do feel the need, in once sense, to defend Czyz at times. I regularly see him derided as a joke figure, or a hype job sold to the masses with no real talent to speak of, none of which is true. When he came in crouching low and let the punches go, he was an excellent fighter to watch. Try telling me he couldn't fight after seeing this! A truly fantastic losing effort. As for Williams, well, it was one of the ring stories of 1987. An underdog triumphing against all the odds, who subsequently proved his worth in the furnace of a long tenure as IBF champion. If anyone hasn't watched this, they should. Those nine rounds just fly by.

# 5 - Matthew Saad Muhammad W TKO 12 Marvin Johnson, NABF title, 1976

The skinny: With the great Bob Foster retired, and is old title now being shared between John Conteh of England and Victor Galindez of Argentina, America was looking for a new Light-Heavyweight king. Many thought that Marvin 'Pops' Johnson, the prematurely balding 1972 Olympic bronze medal winner, would be it. Initially, his progress had been slow, with just thirteen fights in his first four years in the pro ranks. However, him scopping up the NABF title was to be the stepping stone to a match with either Conteh or Galindez in the near future. Matthew Saad Muhammad, then still boxing as Matt Franklin, hadn't shown anything so far in his professional career to suggest that he could upset the applecart. And of course, he was duly outboxed at the start of the fight, marching forward in straight lines as the spindly Johnson, who would have benefitted greatly from the creation of the Super-Middleweight division had it come about ten years earlier, stuck to a strict jab and move gameplan.

However, unlike all his other opponents up to that point, Saad just wouldn't go away. For round after round, he huted Johnson down, throwing wide, lopping hooks to the body which slowed the Olympian down drastically. As the fight went on, keeping distance became harder and harder for Johnson. Given that he became a byword for courage in later years, it came as no surprise that, eventually, he was reduced to fighting on Saad's terms; anyone who has seen this fight will know that the exchanges against the ropes were enough to make the viewer wince. Nonetheless, Johnson still had a handly lead going in to the twelfth and final round. However, if Saad looked like he'd done eleven hard ones before, Johnson was no looking like a man who'd done twenty. Their was almost a feeling of inevitability that Saad had timed his run expertly, and so it proved to be as he chased down a fatigued Johnson and floored him, with a mere minute of the contest left. The slugger had upset the boxer and one of the most sensational Light-Heavyweight careers of the modern era was under way.

Why it's here: Simply put, it's just far too great a fight not to be. What's more, when we think of the great value for money fighter of the era, there is only one man to challenge Bobby Chacon for the title - Saad himself. And this fight was his launching pad. The first fight between Julio Cesar Chavez and Meldrick Taylor is consistently held up as the prime example of how one boxer can be winning the fight, but at the same time can be taking more of a beating and be in far worse shape; but to me, this fight is perhaps an even better example. Incredible stuff.

# 4 - Archie Moore W TKO 14 Harold Johnson, Undisputed title, 1954

The skinny: It had taken the incredible Archie Moore almost eighteen years to finally win the world Light-Heavyweight title; naturally, he wasn't going to let it go without a fight. This was to be his fifth meeting with old rival Johnson - Moore was ahead in their series 3-1, but all of them had been wars of attrition. Never the quickest out of the blocks, Moore had little his own way early doors. Johnson, who adopted a new style of legs far apart and almost fully side-on to Moore (in order to maximise his reach advantage, a stark contrast to his usually compact style) was content to stick and move early on while Archie, who as ever had gone to hell and back in order to trim down to the 175 lb weight limit, chased him sluggishly. When watching this fight, however, I'm always reminded of an old quote (I can't remember who by right now, rather annoyingly!) regarding Moore, namely that watching him slowly working out an opponent was like watching a mechanic stripping down an engine slowly and systematically. It was so subtle, you almost didn't realise it was happening. And so it went in this fight. Watch how Moore is gradually able to bring his right hand in to play as the fight progresses, once he partially abandons his famous cross-armed defence and lets Johnson open up a little more, counter-punching brilliantly.

Despite taking a count in the tenth (and my goodness, he must have been glad it came right at the end of the round), Archie had turned what looked set to be a shut-out for the other man in to an evenly-fought contest, primed for a dramatic finish. That dramatic finish came in the fourteenth - a right hand over the top, which the crouching Johnson just didn't see, sent the challenger, legs in spasm, reeling to the ropes. Never one to let his man off the hook, Moore fired in shots and down went Johnson. Knowing he was still ahead on the cards, the Philadelphian beat the count, but had nothing left and, exhausted, was stopped on his feet by the next flurry of punches. Immediately, Moore embraced his beaten foe, knowing fully well that he man had been just five minutes away from taking his crown - a wonderful display of sportsmanship and respect after a titanic battle.

Why it's here: It's sad (but at the same time almost fitting) that while I bemoan Harold Johnson's lack of due recognition, he should appear twice in this list - but as a loser each time. However, a fighter can still gain boxing immortality of sorts in a losing effort, and this is a perfect example. Archie and Harold, like all the great rivals, made each other. Boxing is so much better off for having seen Moore's brilliance - but without a rival such as Johnson, that brilliance could never have fully flourished.

# 3 - Matthew Saad Muhammad W KO 14 Alvaro 'Yaqui' Lopez, WBC title, 1980

The skinny: Alvaro 'Yaqui' Lopez may have made a solid world titlist in many other eras, but can maybe count himself unlucky to have emerged in a generation of truly outstading 175 lb men. John Conteh had turned back his first attempt at winning the WBC title a few yars beforehand, and this was his second crack at Saad, who now held that famous green belt. And for long periods in this nigh-on unbelievable fight, it looked as if he might finally claim it. By now, the boxing public knew what to expect from Saad - sheer fireworks, basically. But even they must have been astounded by the ferocity of the early exchanges in this fight. There was little 'feeling out' or probing. Instead, just about every punch was designed to produce a knockout, and against many lesser opponents, they certainly would have.

Watching Saad in action, it always amazes me how he was able to absorb a merciless amount of punishment, gloves held high, doing nothing but having his head jolted backwards and sideways by thunderous blows - and then come back with an even more vicious attack of his own, out of nowhere. Round eight was, for all intents and purposes, the real-life equivalent of 'Rocky.' Trapped on the ropes, Saad, senses seemingly scrambled, took God only knows how many hard punches, to both head and body. All over the place, the title seemed to be slipping away, and any referee would have been forgiven for stepping in right there and then. Somehow, Saad got through the round, but Lopez's spirit was bolstered; he soon had Saad in trouble again, throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at him as the champion desperately covered up as best he could. Incredibly, though, there seems to be a hint of a smile on Saad's face as all of this is happening. Out of nowhere, he found a second wind, resuming his forward march and working Lopez over with strength-sapping body shots. By the twelfth, Sadd had pegged the scores back to parity against all the odds, and a strong thirteenth put him in the driving seat. He was simply indomitable that night - Lopez, almost as if he couldn't believe that Saad had not fallen, must have felt that things had turnd inexorably against him as Saad landed a flush left hook to send him down in the fourteenth. He got up, but was down again almost immediately afterwards. Should the referee have stepped in right there? Probably. However, at the same time, Saad fully deserved this lap of honour, so to speak. He decked the Argentine twice more before the referee stepped in, handing Saad the most incredible win of his thrill-a-minute career. The nickname of 'Miracle Matthew' was never more appropriate.

Why it's here: If I were to show an uninitiated friend a few fights to get them interested in boxing, this fight would unquestionably be amongst them. Ebb and flow, brutality, a dramatic comeback etc - this fight had the lot. It was the pinnacle of Saad's career, and as one of my favourite ever fighters, I was tempted to place it as number one. As incredible as that first fight between Leonard and Duran in Montreal was, in 1980 there was only ever one contender for the 'Ring Magazine' Fight of the Year race, and this was it.

# 2 - Archie Moore W KO 11 Yvonne Durelle, Undisputed title, 1958

The skinny: Nobody respected the threat that the French-Canadian journeyman Yvonne Durelle posed in this 1958 title bout - nobody, except the world champion Archie Moore himself, it seems. "Many regard him as nothing more than a crude club fighter with no class", he remarked. "I fought another fellow matching this description - Rocky Marciano." Kind words from Moore, but he didn't seem to heed his own warning - a hard, straight right hand in the opening round landed perfectly on the champion's jaw, and to the floor he went. "I felt as if the top of my head had been blown off", Moore said about that knockdown several years later. "I walked the street of dreams." Nightmare, rather thad dream, may have been more apt. Archie only just beat the count, rising groggily at nine, but was soon being put over again for another count - and once again after that. One of the biggest upsets in boxing history appeared to be very much on. However, for some odd reason, Durelle seemed to coast the final moments of the round in comparison, later stating that he was confused, thinking that three knockdowns in a round automatically meant the end of the fight. However, this wasn't the case here, luckily for Archie. Much like the aforementioned Andries, Moore's precise age was a matter of speculation; whatever the weather, he was at least forty-four according to most reliable sources, which makes his feat of hauling himself back in to the fight all the more praiseworthy. He temporarily stunned Durelle with a left hand in the third, but it proved only a brief respite - he was once again on the floor in the fourth, and by the mid-way stage, what was supposed to be a routine defence of his title had turned in to a grim - and seemingly hopeless - battle for survival.

The turning point came in the closing second of the seventh. Moore crossed a right over Durelle's jab, and for the first time in the fight, the challenger was badly hurt. That moment seemed to plant a seed of doubt in Durlle's mind; he boxed the following rounds in a much more passive manner, inviting Moore, confidence growing, to take the fight to him, perhaps content to rely on the big lead he held on the cards. It proved a costly mistake; the eighth and ninth rounds were all Moore, and in the tenth Durelle was dumped to the canvas, only just rising to his feet in time. The bell bought him some extra time, but the wind was gone from his sails - Moore was all over him again in the eleventh, once again putting the plucky challenger on his back and, after the final knockdown, the French-Canadian was still valiantly attempting to rise when the referee, former Heavyweight champion Jack Sharkey, completed the ten count.

Why it's here: As probably the most acclaimed Light-Heavyweight title fight in history, I'm sure a few of you will be wondering why I don't have this bout on the top spot. The ingredients which make this a great fight are obvious; the stunning turn of fortunes for both men, the fact that Moore's age made such a revival all the more incredible, and the fact that it gave a relative unknown in Durelle his own little slice of boxing history and made sure of his place in sporting folklore. For Moore, it was perhaps the defining moment in a stunning career and, to this day, still stands as a gleaming reference that a fight, no matter what happens, isn't over until it's over, as they say.

# 1 - Victor Galindez W KO 15 Richie Kates, WBA title, 1976

The skinny: South Africa, perhaps, wouldn't stand out as the country in which you'd expect to see the Light-Heavyweight title fight I consider to be the greatest of the lot hosted, particularly as the champion and challenger hailed from Argentina and the USA respectively. Nevertheless, having defended his WBA crown four times on those shores, Victor Galindez was a hugely popular fighter in the 'Rainbow Nation', and this tremendous fight serves as he ultimate reminder as to why. He had his strengths as a fighter, but also his weaknesses - he was like a budget version of Marvin Hagler, scaled up in size but trimmed down in ability. He had a decent jab, but was at his best when an opponent met him head on so that he could unleash his ferocious counter-punching. His chin was excellent, though he perhaps relied on it a little more than he would have liked to. Against a slick boxer who could move on the outside, Galindez could struggle. And what kind of boxer was Richie Kates? Yep, you guessed it. This wasn't a fight of two halves. In fact, calling it a fight of four quarters still probably doesn't do it justice. Just who the momentum was with seemed to change with each and every single round, near enough. In some three minute stanzas, Kates would be in control, circling the champion, throwing double and triple jabs and intelligently sliding along the ropes, forcing Galindez to miss. In other rounds, the champion was on top, himself resting on the ropes and luring the American in before replying with chilling hooks to both head and body whenever there was an opening. Amongst all of this, Galindez was ailed by a horrendous cut to the forehead, as well as another over the right eye. Between rounds his corner worked frantically to stem the flow of blood down the side of his face, but each time a punch of any consequence landed, the threat of a cuts stoppage loomed again.

Seemingly, the threat of this proved both a help and hindrance to the man from Argentina; fearful of the contest being halted due to his injury, he went for the stoppage at every opportunity and had his moments of success, but likewise, the smooth-boxing Kates was able to take advantage of his (sometimes) crude and desperate swings, making Galindez look clumsy and scoring with well-timed counters of his own. To this very day, I honestly have no idea what the official scores were going in to that fifteenth and final round, but on the two occasions I've scored the bout (from the many, many times I've watched it), I honestly had it dead even each time. Both men, knowing that the title was in the balance and that one mistake could be the deciding factor, seemed to be carrying this burden too heavily as the fifteenth began, but for the opening minute and a half, Kates had the edge. Suddenly, something clicked with Galindez. Waiting upright for the correct opening, he charged Kates and threw his most desperate flurry of the fight. The challenger soaked up the first torrent of punishment, but this time, there was no sliding along the ropes and out of trouble. Exhausted, he was clipped with more heavy shots, finally falling with just seconds left in the fight. By the time the referee completed the ten count, the clock read two minutes and fifty-nine seconds of round fifteen; Galindez had secured an almost otherworldly victory with a single, solitary second of the fight remaining.

Why it's here: Ok, before you all say it - yes, I have a vested interest in this bout, given that Galindez remains possibly my favourite fighter of all time. That said, even if I held him in a far less glowing light, I could never deny that this truly dramatic and bloody battle is easily amongst the most compelling and interesting I've ever seen. What sets it just that little bit apart, for me at least, is the sense of unpredictability. Even with the likes of Moore-Durelle I and Saad-Lopez II, though they were real ebb and flow battles, there was a sense of inevitability in the minutes before the end that it was coming - and surely enough, it did. Conversely, I recall watching this fight for the first time (unaware of who actually won it) and being totally at a loss at who I thought had the upper hand and who would nick it - and this is in the fifteenth round, lest we forget.

Moreover, the image of that frantic finish is something which has stayed with me, and always will. There is something almost neanderthal-like about the way in which Galindez, his face covered in his own blood, screams in ecstasy and aggressively swings his arm in the direction of the floored Kates. I have no idea, still, whether he was commanding his fallen foe to stay down or if he was challenging him to get up to see if he could take even more punishment, but whatever the truth, it remains my favourite image of a fighter who, for some reason which even I can't quite explain fully, fascinates me like no other.

Right, I'm cream crackered! For those who managed it, thanks for sticking with me, and fire away with the comments, your own memories of the fights, what you agree / disagree with and anything else you fancy.

Cheers, everyone.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime Empty Re: The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime

Post by Steffan Thu 31 May 2012, 3:11 pm

Now this is what its all about. Great article Chris im gonna Youtube some of this when I get chance thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime Empty Re: The ten Light-Heavyweight title fights you must see in your lifetime

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 31 May 2012, 3:14 pm

Me too, I have a fairly poor knowledge of the sport going back before the 1990's so this is a real treat. I may watch some at work, they really oughtta sack me, ha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 31 May 2012, 3:23 pm

Fantastic stuff Chris, you've really raised the bar with this one!

Saad Muhammad (or Franklin as he was then)'s first fight with Lopez was the fight that came to mind upon initially seeing the title of the article, as that was a real belter too, but the ten (eleven) you have picked will do very nicely.

How about adding the videos to the article?

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Course Rowley would have "Clinton Woods vs Rico Hoye" right up there

Back to top Go down

Post by Josef K. Thu 31 May 2012, 3:35 pm

Fantastic article, Chris - once again.

Appetite is well and truly whet for some youtubing later. Muhammad-Lopez sounds particularly good, not that they all don't!

Let's hope LH can pick itself up and give us some classics in the future.

Josef K.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 3:36 pm

Bloody 'ell, Dave. You could have at least sent me a PM to remind me instead of telling the world of my error - I could have added it without anyone noticing, swapping it with some dead wood like Saad-Lopez II.

Never gonna live that one down.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 31 May 2012, 3:39 pm

My favourite division too, chris (I'd argue it has the strongest top 20 of any division) and hard to object too strongly with any of your picks (on the assumption that we're never going to find any hitherto unknown and undiscovered footage of the first Greb v Tunney I).

I'd possibly move your top 3 around to have it:

1) Moore v Durelle (it's like something out of Rocky but much better)

2) Saad Muhammad v Lopez (it's hard not to have a knot in your stomach watching it - unbeliveably exciting but also fairly gruelling).

3) Galindez v Kates ( I watched this for the first time about twelve months ago after reading another article of yours - incredible fight and I can see why it is your favourite).

I guess the noteworthy fight which isn't mentioned is Robinson v Maxim. However, it's not a particularly great fight and it's true historical significance was lost when the heat finally got to SRR.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 31 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Blimey, Chris! That is more words than I have ever writen in my entire life. All together.

Great stuff, though. I have seen them before but this has whetted my appetite to watch some of them again. Love the Harding - Andries fight. I have a real soft spot for Jeff Harding, he was champ when I was just starting to watch the sport and (for reasons still unknown) he became one of my favourites. I loved watching McCallum dismantle him later on though.

Superb stuff. Are you on a retainer for writing big articles now you are a mod?!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 May 2012, 3:41 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Bloody 'ell, Dave. You could have at least sent me a PM to remind me instead of telling the world of my error - I could have added it without anyone noticing, swapping it with some dead wood like Saad-Lopez II.

Never gonna live that one down.

Sorry Chris

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 3:48 pm

Thanks, Tino. Harding-Andries was, indeed, one hell of a scrap. The purists wouldn't always appreciate it, I'd think, but in terms of sheer blood and guts it's a hard fight to beat.

Superfly, can totally understand why you'd jig that top three around. As I confessed, I am a little partial to Galindez! You're bang on the money with your point regarding how hard it can actually be to watch Saad-Lopez II, though. As I alluded to, you could argue that the referee perhaps should have put Lopez out of his mysery earlier, but when you see what Saad had to come through to grab the victory, you can't help but admire the sheer ferocity of the man, either.

And Josef, as for Light-Heavyweight giving us some more classics in the future - well, that's where Cleverly comes in. Tell him, Steffan!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 31 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Hearns Andries ?

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 4:59 pm

Interesting shout, Bamber. My initial thought was that Hearns-Andries was simply too one-sided to be considered, but as I've included Conteh-Hutchins I guess I'd have no real grounds to dismiss it on that basis. Great spectacle in terms of the sheer desire and will shown by Andries, I guess. And interesting by virtue of the fact that it lends some credibility to the theory that Hearns should have been at 160 lb or higher all along.

Interesting shout the more I think about it, actually.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 31 May 2012, 5:16 pm

Christ on a stick Chris, I take it you had the day off??

Great read, and not seen a few so will be added to "Must watch"List!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 5:25 pm

Haha, oddly enough Alex, no I haven't. Wrote most of this last night after spending an age deliberating over which fights I'd include. Just did the 'brushing up' bits today, though my proof read was half-arrised, at best!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu 31 May 2012, 5:40 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Interesting shout, Bamber. My initial thought was that Hearns-Andries was simply too one-sided to be considered, but as I've included Conteh-Hutchins I guess I'd have no real grounds to dismiss it on that basis. Great spectacle in terms of the sheer desire and will shown by Andries, I guess. And interesting by virtue of the fact that it lends some credibility to the theory that Hearns should have been at 160 lb or higher all along.

Interesting shout the more I think about it, actually.

I guess it just really impressed me the way he dealt with a big strong wild LH with such authority.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 31 May 2012, 5:42 pm

Cracking article Chris thanks mate

Not much I can add and probably don't rival the top fights you've listed, A faded but still classy Hearns v Barkley 2 was a savage fight and Foster v Finnegan was one of my favourites.

And how about Sugar Ray Robinson v Joey Maxim, a decent scrap.

All the best

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 31 May 2012, 7:03 pm

Foster and Finnegan is well worth a mention, brutal fight that quite rightly was named fight of the year.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 8:21 pm

Rodney, Ghosty - the two of you are quite right with regards to Foster versus Finnegan. I actually can't quite believe that I managed to forget that one! What an oversight! Totally at a loss as to how I let it slip through. Superb fight.

Foster was so utterly dominant as champion, probably more so than any other 175 lb man in history, to the extent that Finnegan is basically out there on his own amongst the men who challenged him, insofar as he really extended the great man. I'll have to add it in somewhere, make it a nice dozen.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 31 May 2012, 8:49 pm

Rossman v Galindez 1 &2 are 2 crackers
Marvin Johnson v Galindez must see fight
Foster v Finnegan Ring magazine fight of the year
Conteh v Hutchins
Conteh v Finnegan 1
Conteh v Saad muhammad 1
Saad Muhammad v Marvin Johnson
Dwight Braxton v Saad Muhammad

Conteh was one of the best fighters Britain ever produced IMO,dont think Marvin Johnson or Saad Muhammad were ever in a boring fight.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 31 May 2012, 9:46 pm

Some good shouts there, Nico - some of which are included in my list!

So many to choose from. Of the ones you've listed which I didn't include, I'd say that Conteh-Finnegan I is the pick of the bunch.

I'd slightly disagree on Galindez-Johnson, however; and no, not just because my all-time favourite lost, either! Sure, it was a punishing fight, but not really a great one as it wasn't all that competitive. I had Johnson more or less winning all ten rounds which came before the stoppage in the eleventh. Excellent performance from 'Pops', but it was a bit too much of a one-sided beat down for me.

Anyway, we all know that Victor was over the hill by then!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 31 May 2012, 9:51 pm

Can't wait to watch all of those fights Chris but we are just off to pick up a new dog so boxing will have to go on the back burner for a little while.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 01 Jun 2012, 5:08 am

I agree about the Rossman Galindez fights Nico. I watched the first of their fights in a motel in Hawaii as me and the family were on our way back from a trip to the UK and being staff and the 'plane being full we were off loaded for a few days. The main bout on the bill was the Ali Spinks return fight and I seem to think there was another title fight as well but it was 1978. I think Don King was the promoter,it's a pity Windy isn't around, he'd know who the refs were as well.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

clap

Last edited by andygf on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

Excellent a real feast of an article! I was waiting to see if Dennis Andries was in there and was delighted that he was.Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 01 Jun 2012, 9:34 am

Great article, i would also put the Bob Foster vs Chris Finnegan title fight in any list of must watch scraps at light heavyweight.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 01 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Some good shouts there, Nico - some of which are included in my list!

So many to choose from. Of the ones you've listed which I didn't include, I'd say that Conteh-Finnegan I is the pick of the bunch.

I'd slightly disagree on Galindez-Johnson, however; and no, not just because my all-time favourite lost, either! Sure, it was a punishing fight, but not really a great one as it wasn't all that competitive. I had Johnson more or less winning all ten rounds which came before the stoppage in the eleventh. Excellent performance from 'Pops', but it was a bit too much of a one-sided beat down for me.

Anyway, we all know that Victor was over the hill by then!
Conteh was and is one of my favourite British fighters of all time and was continually goaded by Galindez,so Galindez-Johnson was probably a biased favourite of mine, but respect the fact you are a Galindez fan.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 01 Jun 2012, 8:22 pm

Wow, mouthwatering piece Chris.

If we were back on the BBC 606 I'd give it five stars. Especially great because I haven't seen a lot of them so I've got plenty of great scraps to watch.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down