The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements

3 posters

Go down

ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements Empty ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements

Post by All Time Great Sat 02 Jun 2012, 12:48 am

Now that the squad has been pretty much finalised, Roy Hodgson can now commence with the real task of creating a balanced starting XI which has the ability to remain agile against differing styles of play. Firstly, given the squad and the lack of real talent in the center of midfield (without the likes of Carrick, Scholes and Wilshire) England's most likely starting formation will be 4-4-2.

Most of the backline picks itself, except for one intriguing question mark- where do you play Phil Jones? For all his talent and energy Phil Jones currently does not have a set position. He has more than adequate abilities to play at CB, RB or in a holding DMC position. I really feel if you take a player like Jones to a Major championship then you have to play him. His tenacity and energy is a real asset for England. As I believe Cole, Cahill and Terry should all theoretically start due to the Chelsea connection and understanding they have with each other then I would play Phil Jones at RB. I understand this is probably not his favoured position, but this firms up an already very good back line and adds to the omission of Glenn Johnson who for me doesn't deserve a place in the starting XI.

The Center of midfield also picks itself. England have been crying out for a genuine ball winning midfielder since Owen Hargreaves, and in Scott Parker we now have one. It has to be noted he also has great tactical awareness and is not necessarily a box to box midfielder. With Jones and Cole pushing up from the full back positions to join in with the attacks, Parker adds much needed protection when the opposition launches a counter attack.

The other birth goes to Steven Gerrard (automatic as he's captain to some degree) and there isn't too much to add other than he has been below par this season due to a number of injuries. Jack Wilshere would of been an ideal candidate but I guess we have to go with the next best alternative. His experience should be an asset to the side but the lack of creative ingenuity does let this side down somewhat.

Onto the wings and for the first time in a while England have three genuine wingers who can beat a man and even change a game through their talents. A lot of criticism has been directed towards Theo Walcott, but I do believe we are starting to see what he is capable of. No one can deny his performance against Croatia and his EPL stats from the past two seasons makes him one of the best wingers on current form. His pace is always a threat and he has underrated finishing ability. For me, he starts on the right wing.

Onto the left side of midfield and it looks as though Ashley Young has pretty much nailed this down as his own. Provides goals, can beat two or three men with his skills and can actually deliver a cross. Albeit, he usually does get found out against better opposition and has found himself behind Nani and Valencia at United. Will be interesting to see how he performs at his first Major tournament.

Up front, we don't need to discuss Wayne Rooney except I'd expect him to play a little less high up than usual for England in a 4-4-2 formation. I'd expect Danny Welbeck to start alongside him mainly due to an understanding he's beginning to develop with Rooney at United. He also offers a lot of pace and is industrious in his work. A good front pairing which has the ability to unsettle some of the less mobile rearguards such as Germany and Holland.

So to conclude, a relatively new England team. Six of the starting line up have not played at a major championship before. They also offer a hell of a lot of pace and physicality. The only missing ingredient for me is that bar Rooney and Young perhaps, there is little invention/ creativity within the side. A Scholeseque type player is required (incidentally if they were fit I would of started Cleverley and Wilshere together in a five man midfield) to dictate play and start attacks. I just don't believe there is much of this in Steven Gerrards game despite his talents and leadership skills.

Hart

Cole
Cahill
Terry
Jones

Young
Parker
Gerrard
Walcott

Rooney (Carroll for first two games, could dislodge Welbeck if he performs to a high standard)
Welbeck

Does anyone agree or have strong differences of opinion? I accept this side probably wont challenge for honours but in my humble opinion this is probably the most sensible line ups with an added element of the unknown. The Ox would obviously be my impact player. In addition, against Spain I would revert to a 4-5-1 formation and play Jones and Parker in holding midfield positions and try to knick a 1-0 victory.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements Empty Re: ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements

Post by Ent Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:30 am

Cahill terry gerrard Walcott Parker are all crap.

Ent

Back to top Go down

ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements Empty Re: ATG's England Starting XI: With reasoned arguements

Post by Crimey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:25 am

I agree with most of what you're saying, I think due to the players we have we'll have to play 4-4-2, although I think one of the forwards will always drop off more into the midfield, the first two games for me it'll be Young who performed well there against Norway and the next two games it'll be Rooney.

I disagree on playing Phil Jones, I think he's purely in the team for cover because of his versatility. If Glen Johnson is fit I would play him at right back because despite all the criticism levelled at him he is still a very good right back and not as much of a defensive liability as people like to make out. (I am really hoping he doesn't make a stupid mistake considering how much I seem to praise him on this board.) I don't think right back is Jones' natural position, and it shows, he often starts coming two central which leaves the right flank open and I don't think he offers enough offensively as despite being quite good at crossing, he's doesn't seem that confident whipping balls in.

I agree on playing Walcott on the right, I think that he could prove people wrong in this tournament and show his class. He's fast, can beat a man and has an underrated end product whether that be finishing or crossing, he's no David Beckham but he can still hit accurate balls into the box or into the net. For the first two games, due to necessity I would play Downing or Milner on the left, I think it's too early to trust Chamberlain with a starting berth and he would probably be too forward minded to have him and Walcott on the wings, so Milner or Downing would start there for the first two games with Young moving there after that.

I wouldn't start Welbeck, I'm unconvinced by Welbeck and I think for the first two games a combination of him and Carroll wouldn't work as it would leave the forward line and midfield too isolated from each other. There needs to be a link up striker I feel, so that would be Young for the first two games and Rooney for any games following that, they can drop into midfield and link the forwards and midfield up, neither Carroll or Welbeck would be able to effectively fill that role.

I don't think Welbeck offers enough as a forward to the team other than his already established relationship with Rooney which can't be exploited until the third group game and I believe is overrated. Welbeck scored less goals than Hernandez less year, despite being preferred, and I think that's because Welbeck simply isn't that good, I think it's asset is probably natural finishing but too often he's not in the right place at the right time. I would have Carroll and Young, and then Rooney up front.

Hart

Johnson
Cahill
Terry
Cole

Walcott
Parker
Gerrard
Downing/Milner/Young

Young/Rooney

Carroll

Chamberlain, Defoe and Welbeck are all good impact subs from the bench. Jones can cover for any injuries etc. I expect Henderson won't be used at all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down