The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players to Watch

+11
Thomond
westisbest
GSC
Hero
Liam
mystiroakey
azania
Ent
Crimey
Barney92
The Special Juan
15 posters

Go down

Players to Watch Empty Players to Watch

Post by The Special Juan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

I thought I might do a quick article on a "player to watch" from each team. I might be completely wrong with all of these but it's a bit of a laugh.

Name: Robert Lewandowski
Nation: Poland
Position: Striker

Lewandowski has scored 33 goals this season for Bundesliga winners Dortmund, including 22 goals in the league and a hat trick v Bayern in the German Cup Final. From what I've heard he's never really performed at international level but in 41 games, he has 13 goals and I suspect this tournament on home soil might give him a chance to shine.

Name: Kyriakos Papadopoulos
Nation: Greece
Position: Centre Back

Papadopoulos is a young CB for Schalke. He's started most games for Schalke this season and was impressive (from what I saw) in the Europa League. He's 20 years old so isn't too experienced but looks like he'll be a top CB in the future.

Name: Alan Dzagoev
Nation: Russia
Position: AM

Dzagoev is an up-and-coming attacking midfielder who is meant to be key to both CSKA and the Russian team itself. Admittedly, I've never seen him play in a match (I've seen bits and pieces on Youtube) and he looks to be a good player. Man Utd are reportedly interested and I think the openness of Group A will give him a chance to shine.

Name: Tomás Rosicky
Nation: Czech Republic
Position: Midfielder

This is a difficult one as I really don't know much about the Czech squad. However, I have seen Tomás Rosicky play at international level a few times he tends to play very well. If the Czech's are to get through to the quarter finals then they'll need Rosicky to perform well. His end of season form for Arsenal indicates he can do so.

Name: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
Nation: Netherlands

Firstly, I'll give a mention to DM Kevin Strootman as he should have a brilliant tournament and is being tipped for a big move in the not too distant future. However, I'm going with Huntelaar who has scored 49 goals this season for Schalke and 12 in the Euro 2012 qualifiers. I think he will start ahead of Van Persie and if the Netherlands play well, he will score a lot of goals.

Name: Christian Eriksen
Nation: Denmark

I don't know how much everyone else knows about Eriksen but, as with a few players, he is expected to have a brilliant tournament and possibly a big move next summer, if not this year. He's played a key part in Ajax's title winning side in the Dutch league. I saw him twice against Man Utd and he was quiet. The big occasion might get to him but the Dane's have no pressure on them in the "Group of Death" and he might surprise a few.

Name: Toni Kroos
Nation: Germany

Firstly, quick mentions to Mario Gomez, Mario Götze and Marco Reus. Gomez has been in terrific form with goals this season but let himself down in the CL final. Mario Götze has had a very injury hit season although showed good form at the end of the season. Marco Reus had the season of his life but I'm not sure how many games he'll start. I'm going to say Toni Kroos as the German to watch. He's managed to displace an admittedly poor Bastian Schweinsteiger from the Bayern Munich team and looks to be a key box-to-box midfielder for years to come for both club and country.

Name: Cristiano Ronaldo
Nation: Portugal

Who else? After having a shocker of a World Cup, Ronaldo will look to bounce back in style for Portugal. Admittedly they have a tough task in Group B but with 61 goals this season for Real (46 in the league), if Portugal can look to anyone to inspire them through this group, it'll be Captain Ronaldo. I used to say he wasn't a "big game player", especially in the Clasico's v Barcelona but in the last few he has been very impressive. Another mention should go to Fábio Coentrão, the left back, and Ronaldo's Real teammate. I don't know how much he'll do, but he does have great hair.

Name: Javi Martínez
Nation: Spain
Position: Midfielder/Centre Back

This was a very tough choice. I thought about going with Fernando Llorente, David Silva or Jordi Alba but in the end I went for Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martínez. Originally a midfielder, Bilbao coach Bielsa has moved him into a CB position which he has taken to very well. I'm taking a risky punt here but I think he'll start alongside Gerard Piqué at CB due to Albiol's poor form. Aside from being a CB, he's also a decent passer, along with everyone else in the Spanish squad. I didn't go with Llorente due to the mystery over who will start up front for Spain due to Villa's absence; David Silva because he's too obvious or Alba, even though he's expected to move to Barcelona in the summer, as Martínez might have a bigger impact.

Name: Antonio Di Natale
Nation: Italy

It was a toss up between Mario Balotelli and Antonio Di Natale, but I went with the old guy as I can see him having a bigger impact for Italy than Balotelli, provided he starts of course. He's scored 29 goals this season for an average Udinese side and this will probably be his last international tournament so I expect him to want to go out with a bang. Another one to watch out for is Fabio Borini, although he's unliekly to start. He could probably grab a couple off the bench should Italy need him. Also, keep an eye on midfielder Claudio Marchisio as he has had a very good season for Juventus.

Name: Aiden McGeady
Nation: Republic of Ireland
Position: Winger

Before I start, I'll admit I've not seen McGeady play for a while now, but it's sounded like he's settled down well in Russia for Spartak Moscow. I've always thought of him as the "Forgotten Man" of Ireland because I never hear a lot about him. However, apparently he was instrumental in the Republic's victory over Bosnia recently so I expect him to start. If he can supply Robbie Keane with decent crosses, the Republic may just surprise a few.

Name: Darijo Srna
Nation: Croatia
Position: RB/Winger

I was debating whether to pick Srna or Nikica Jelavić, but I eventually went with the Croatia captain. Originally a right back, he's started playing on the right wing for Croatia and has a decent cross on him. As with McGeady and Keane, if Srna and Nikica Jelavić can link up well, Croatia might also be dfficult to stop. I didn't pick Luka Modrić though, as I fear him being overrun against Spain and possibly against Italy.

Name: Andriy Yarmolenko
Nation: Ukraine

If I'm honest, I've only heard of 4 members of the Ukraine squad: Andriy Shevchenko, Andriy Yarmolenko, Andriy Voronin and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk (the Bayern midfielder). The reason I went with Yarmolenko is that, purely by looking as his stats, he's had more goals than Shevchenko this season. I think Shevchenko will start (as the captain) but I'll take a punt on Yarmolenko ending up as the Ukraine's top scorer.

Name: Rasmus Elm
Nation: Sweden
Position: Midfielder (preferably AM)

I wanted to go with Zlatan Ibrahimović, but thought he was too obvious. In the end, I went with Rasmus Elm. He's had an impressive season with AZ and has been linked with a move to Fulham sooner than later (his brother David played for Fulham too). Elm has a lot of assists this season and if he can link up with Zlatan Ibrahimović, there might be goals for him. Keep an eye out for ex-Bolton player Johan Elmander and Sunderland winger Sebastien Larsson.

Name: Ashley Young
Nation: England
Position: Winger (although may play behind Andy Carroll)

This was an easier choice than most other squads, actually. I think Young might be the key man when England face France and Sweden without Rooney. The goal against Norway showed that Young can do it at international level. I think his finishing has been underrated in the past but he looks now like a player who can definitely play well at the very top levels. The "big man little man" combination with Andy Carroll could be useful for England in the first 2 games, and I expect Young to outscore Carroll (as do most).

Name: Olivier Giroud
Nation: France

Before I start, quick mentions to M'Vila and Benzema. M'Vila has suffered an injury and I think he's a big doubt to make the Euro's. I also didn't pick Benzema as he's not really "one to watch" as most people know about him. I went with Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud as I think he can make an impression as an impact substitute. Barring injury, he won't start above Benzema in the pecking order but he's been inspirational in Montpellier's league win and I can see him grabbing a few goals if needed. He reminds me of Peter Crouch: Quite tall but people underestimate his feet, as it were.

Feel free to tear me to shreds now Laugh . Most of the choices were a bit obvious but hopefully some weren't. Feel free to chip in with your own players.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Players to Watch Empty Re: Players to Watch

Post by Barney92 Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:32 pm

On the Irish one, McGeady might be a good shout. It all depends on which one turns up. He played much better in the last match than he has for pretty much the rest of his Ireland career. If he bring that sort of game to the Euros then he might turn a few heads but I have my doubts over whether he can do it or not. I don't see much middle ground with him. He could be one of our best players or one of our worst so depending on which one turns up he could be a good choice.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Agree about Dzagoev but another is Marco Reus of Germany. He's the replacement for Kagawa at Dortmund and single handely carried Moechengladbach to a champions league place with 20+ goals last season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:39 pm

Unfortunately for Lewandowski, he probably won't get a real chance to shine as I doubt Poland will get through. Although home advantage might help in the weakest group.

It will be interesting to see if Huntelaar comes up with the goods, too often on the bigger stage he has disappointed, as shown by his times at Madrid and Milan. I imagine he'll start with Van Persie on the right wing, but in a tough group he needs to be an form from the beginning or risk getting dropped.

I'm not sure about Kroos being the man to watch, I'm not even sure he'd get into the team. The player to watch will be Ozil for me, he's Germany's best player at the moment and it's his creativity that will get them through above everything else.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 02 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

@Barney: Agree with your evaluation of McGeady. He's very hot and cold, when he's good he's very good, when he's bad he's very bad. Very like Nani.

@John: Agree with Reus completely. He's had a fantastic season, although Germany tend to start Schurrle over him from what I've heard. No idea why though.

@Crimey: I debated with Ozil but we all know how good he is nowadays (especially England fans!!). I went with Kroos because of his box-to-box game. The thing is with the German team, you could pick 2 very good teams out of their squad so it's a bit of a guessing game about who will start.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

Most wingers seem to be very hot and cold to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 02 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

Crimey wrote:Most wingers seem to be very hot and cold to be honest.

Very true, it is the nature of the position.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 02 Jun 2012, 9:30 pm

Watch out for Theo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:27 pm

i think welbeck will be the main player for england!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:28 pm

Lewandowski scored tonight in Poland's 4-0 win. He could be the difference of them getting out of group A. Looks a really quality player.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

He's an excellent striker, Kagawa isn't his biggest fan though.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm

I won't be Kagawa's either if he doesn't hurry up and sign!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

Mario Balotelli

Oh you meant on the field...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:37 pm

Yeah in a bathroom with a lit match doesn't qualify.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 02 Jun 2012, 10:41 pm

martyr_94 wrote:I won't be Kagawa's either if he doesn't hurry up and sign!

Apparently it's to do with with work permit, could potentially kill the whole deal.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 03 Jun 2012, 1:14 am

Crimey wrote:

Apparently it's to do with with work permit, could potentially kill the whole deal.

Could be a blessing in disguise that, but he will get a permit easily.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

Ent wrote:
Crimey wrote:

Could be a blessing in disguise that, but he will get a permit easily.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item810179/United-face-snag-for-Kagawa-work-permit/

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 03 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

Interesting little video from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18183949
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

nice they agree on my wellbeck pick Players to Watch 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 05 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

McLean would be my one to watch in ireland squad.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 05 Jun 2012, 6:41 pm

Idon't know if he will get enough game time for that to happen but he is an exciting talent. Saw him two years ago playign for Derry City and knew he would make it in England. Felt the same about Kevin Doyle.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 06 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Can't agree with Kroos for Germany. He's a good player (although he can be frustrating) but there is no way that he gets in the team ahead of Schweinsteiger (who is by no means poor).

Germany will play with Schweinsteiger and Khedira who operate brilliantly together and who both allow Ozil to operate in a free role in front of them and behind the front three of Gomes/Klose, Podolski and Muller.

Kroos tends to operate in the space that Ozil takes up rather than as a midfield pivot (he was fairly ineffective in that role in the Champions League final - Bayern were forced into playing him there due to Gustavo's suspension).

Ozil is the man to watch for Germany. If he has a good tournament I think he tilts the balance and they become favourites. There wasn't much between Germany and Spain at the last tournament and Spain are arguably weaker now.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

Barney92 wrote:On the Irish one, McGeady might be a good shout. It all depends on which one turns up. He played much better in the last match than he has for pretty much the rest of his Ireland career. If he bring that sort of game to the Euros then he might turn a few heads but I have my doubts over whether he can do it or not. I don't see much middle ground with him. He could be one of our best players or one of our worst so depending on which one turns up he could be a good choice.

Barney I noticed that but what I noticed as well is that he played on the right whereas hes usually on the left maybe a long term solution there?

McClean could do well too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

McGeady is a winger who can't cross. He is pretty useless. As a winger at least would thrive in a role as an Attacking mid but that won't happen with Ireland under Trap.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

Thomond his crossing was there when he played on the right I think the problem is his left foot is useless so he always has to cut back on to his right and he does it right by being to slow too obvious or taking a poor touch

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

I think Ireland need to start Mclean at the Euro's. He will give them dynamism going forward and will be dangerous on the counter. I'm guessing Gio will make, like Roy has done, Ireland hard to beat and when you have genuine pace like you have with Mclean, it will make opposition full backs wary of going forward knowing they will be leaving space in behind for Mclean to exploit.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 07 Jun 2012, 5:05 pm

He tends to play on the right more anyway. He is a terrible crosser off either foot. He gets about 1/5 onto the head of the attacker.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:51 pm

Tumbleweed
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

Name: Robert Lewandowski
Nation: Poland

Lewandowski has scored 33 goals this season for Bundesliga winners Dortmund, including 22 goals in the league and a hat trick v Bayern in the German Cup Final. From what I've heard he's never really performed at international level but in 41 games, he has 13 goals and I suspect this tournament on home soil might give him a chance to shine.

Name: Kyriakos Papadopoulos
Nation: Greece
Position: Centre Back

Papadopoulos is a young CB for Schalke. He's started most games for Schalke this season and was impressive (from what I saw) in the Europa League. He's 20 years old so isn't too experienced but looks like he'll be a top CB in the future.

Name: Alan Dzagoev
Nation: Russia
Position: AM

Dzagoev is an up-and-coming attacking midfielder who is meant to be key to both CSKA and the Russian team itself. Admittedly, I've never seen him play in a match (I've seen bits and pieces on Youtube) and he looks to be a good player. Man Utd are reportedly interested and I think the openness of Group A will give him a chance to shine.

Good calls so far here!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:56 pm

Thanks. Shameless plug by myself. And cue the downfall?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:57 pm

Booo.

nah good picks lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

TSC wrote:Thanks. Shameless plug by myself. And cue the downfall?

Walk tall my friend. Good stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm

Well in fairness tomorrow you have Ronaldo, Eriksen, Huntelaar and Kroos, they're hardly wild punts there!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm

Hero wrote:

Well in fairness tomorrow you have Ronaldo, Eriksen, Huntelaar and Kroos, they're hardly wild punts there!
#

I'm interested to see this Ronaldo fella. I have heard good things about him.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:11 pm

Thanks. Still think it'll come back to bite me.

I agree Hero but I'm sure most people know about the German + Dutch squads so I can hardly pick a "nobody". I did give a mention to Strootman + Reus but I picked players who would play.

And Ronaldo barely turns up at these tournaments so it's about time he did something at one.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:20 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Hero wrote:

#

I'm interested to see this Ronaldo fella. I have heard good things about him.

He'll be a flash in the pan.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 09 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

Ah, I didn't cover myself in glory today Laugh M'on Javi!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 09 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm

good calls TSC i think Gotze should be on there as well though.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

Cheers Bull. I mentioned Gotze but with Ozil (Germany's proper superstar) playing he won't get much game time unfortunately, especially after an injury hit season. Great player though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

Really annoyed Martinez didn't play. Better than Ramos at CB, who is a liability at times.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

TSC wrote:Really annoyed Martinez didn't play. Better than Ramos at CB, who is a liability at times.

I agree. Ramos isn't very good to be honest and he doesn't even fit into the Spanish style as he is quite wasteful with the ball, Martinez is superior in every way.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 01 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

How did I do?

Lewandowski: Scored a goal but didn't do much after that. Didn't really get the service in the end but he looked dangerous.

Papadopoulos: Did alright as 3rd choice CB. He and Papastho.. Papasthu... the other guy managed to keep a decent Russian side out for 90 minutes.

Dzagoev: Did really well for 2.5 games and then faded horribly after that. Got himself suspended in the end for the next Euro game after picking up 2 yellow cards Rolling Eyes

Rosicky: Didn't do anything good or bad. Was reasonably solid but got injured.

Huntelaar: Never got the game time he deserved (should have started all 3 games) but got a decent amount in the last 2 games. Failed to score and as an out-and-out striker, that's terrible.

Eriksen: Did nothing.

Kroos: I expected him to start and when he did, Germany lost.

Ronaldo: Actually turned up for a big tournament! Shock horror. Thought he took his goals well but was taken out of the game v Spain at times.

Martínez: Came on for 1 match and got booked. Classic Javi. Hasn't really been given game time to judge him on.

Di Natale: Scored a cracker v Spain but hasn't been given the game time he deserves as Italy's best/most consistent striker. What odds on a goal tonight?

McGeady: Didn't do much. Set up a goal but didn't impress.

Srna: I might be a bit biased here but I thought he was great. Some brilliant challenges at times and an assist too. The "tackle" (or was it assault?) v one of the Spanish players was a thing of beauty.

Elm: I didn't see enough of Sweden to rate him.

Ashley Young: Didn't really impress. Was ok in the 1st game but didn't look happy on the wing.

Giroud: Came on 3/4 times as a sub. Didn't do much/anything.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 01 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

Elm wasn't good but he was played out of position.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 01 Jul 2012, 3:14 pm

I think Srna and Ronaldo were good picks.

Ashley Young, Kroos, Eriksen, Huntelaar were probably the worst picks as they all really underperformed.

The rest are hard to judge as either they didn't play enough or their teams in general weren't good enough to challenge.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down