The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No more 100 point whippings?

+5
Notch
LondonTiger
geoff999rugby
red_stag
Portnoy
9 posters

Go down

No more 100 point whippings? Empty No more 100 point whippings?

Post by Portnoy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

That was the argument put forward by many Rabo (and other) supporters regarding the admittance of T2 sides into the European national and club fold -I wonder how the new Italian Rabo outfit will fare in the HEC next season?

Last I heard the Phoenix Italian side is along the lines of https://www.606v2.com/t30151-new-italian-team-taking-shape.

They will likely have 6-8 games from scratch to prepare before meeting a potential baptism of fire against one of the the top English or French sides (no doubt their Rabo colleagues will me more inclined to go a bit easier on them). But if push comes to shove, scores on the doors as we all know can be significant.

So if Parma is a valid side, why not open the doors to a couple of teams outside the cartels - nationally and internationally?

Or is self-interest the only common value in pro rugby?

Last edited by Portnoy on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

No more 100 point whippings? Empty Re: No more 100 point whippings?

Post by Portnoy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-union--pilkington-cup-tigers-display-killer-instinct-1494987.html

Whipping boys then. Not now.

And why not a Russian, Georgian, or Spanish side?

Reason - they cant smash the glass ceiling.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 03 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

There are teams from Spain and Romania playing in the Amlin Cup and have been for the last decade.

We saw Italy join the 6 Nations in 2000 and when we see them reach the same level as Scotland, Ireland, France etc we can think about others.

Argentina has been admitted into the Tri Nations.

I dont think we have any big cartel problem at all.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

red_stag wrote:There are teams from Spain and Romania playing in the Amlin Cup and have been for the last decade.

We saw Italy join the 6 Nations in 2000 and when we see them reach the same level as Scotland, Ireland, France etc we can think about others.

Argentina has been admitted into the Tri Nations.

I dont think we have any big cartel problem at all.

Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good one Staggy thumbsup
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 03 Jun 2012, 5:35 pm

Whats stopping the English leeting other teams in their league, or indeed the French.

At least we offerred the hand of friendship/help to the Italians which is more than either of the other 2 leagues have done

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Whats stopping the English leeting other teams in their league, or indeed the French.

At least we offerred the hand of friendship/help to the Italians which is more than either of the other 2 leagues have done

I think he is talking about the 6Ns and ERC cartel, not slamming Rabo.

Taking the international and club separately:

6Ns

This is a clear cartel, driven by history and money. However it has changed over the years with France being admitted, then kicked out then re-admitted, and Italy joining. I would be a big fan of joining it with the FIRA championship and having a play-off between the bottom side in 6Ns and the top side in FIRA.

ERC

More complicated. As already stated there are, alongside Italian clubs, a Spanish and Romanian team in the Amlin. These teams tend to get whipped. Russia is unable to run a national league due to low player base and travel times, while Georgia see their 50 best players all in France (mainly lower leagues). Neither country is capable of maintaining a professional league and until they do I cannot see how they can get admittance to ERC competitions. Even a 3rd tier competition would be hideously expensive to participate in.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

I think Italy is borderline on being able to sustain the level of interest to finance their professional sides, although I do believe the team in Parma has more potential than Aironi if handled correctly. I can't see Georgia or Romania being able to run professional sides to Pro12 standard in the near future. Hopefully one day though... everything at the right time.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:20 pm

Italy have demonstrated they can continue to run a semi=pro league, even with the best players in the two Rabo franchise teams.

It would be a darn site easier for Georgia/Romania/Russia to pull together a single team to compete in a pro league somehwere than to set up a professional national league.

Mind you, only two countries do run professional national leagues.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

Portnoy wrote:

So if Parma is a valid side, why not open the doors to a couple of teams outside the cartels - nationally and internationally?

Money

The new Italians are going to be entirely controlled by the Italian RU - It is also them that struck the deal to get into the Pro12.

The Spanish, Georgian and Russian sides don't have the money to spend on their academies and don't have the money to keep any HC standard players they produce (all the good ones at the moment are in the French and English leagues) - at the moment they are out-funded by the English championship sides and the ProD2 french teams.

No more 100 point whippings? Money_0061No more 100 point whippings? Money_0061No more 100 point whippings? Money_0061
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

LondonTiger, both Russia and Georgia have pro leagues. Russia with 10 clubs and Georgia with 8.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 04 Jun 2012, 6:31 am

HammerofThunor wrote:LondonTiger, both Russia and Georgia have pro leagues. Russia with 10 clubs and Georgia with 8.

Russia has a league centred in one part of the country only I thought. I had also read that most of the money available to Rugby was now going on sevens.

In both leagues the players the leagues are only semi pro, in that the players need to have other jobs. I think it could make sense to admit extra teams/countries to the Amlin - perhaps have a 6th pool - if they can afford the travel costs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Whats stopping the English leeting other teams in their league, or indeed the French.

What's stopping the English or French oh i don't know... They have domestic leagues.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 11 Jun 2012, 12:32 pm

Portnoy wrote:That was the argument put forward by many Rabo (and other) supporters regarding the admittance of T2 sides into the European national and club fold -I wonder how the new Italian Rabo outfit will fare in the HEC next season?

Last I heard the Phoenix Italian side is along the lines of https://www.606v2.com/t30151-new-italian-team-taking-shape.

They will likely have 6-8 games from scratch to prepare before meeting a potential baptism of fire against one of the the top English or French sides (no doubt their Rabo colleagues will me more inclined to go a bit easier on them). But if push comes to shove, scores on the doors as we all know can be significant.

Just think how many French, English, Irish, Welsh and Scottish teams will be crossing their fingers tomorrow hoping to draw the Zebras!

I suspect when the squad is announced there will be a definite similarity with the previous franchise.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down