The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did anyone see....?

+8
sean.c
Knowsit17
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
LondonTiger
Rory_Gallagher
Gordy
12 posters

Go down

Did anyone see....? Empty Did anyone see....?

Post by Gordy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

The recent Blues v Chiefs game in the Super15? Simply breathtaking! Hard to beat for pure entertainment! As much as I am loyal to our own Northern Hemisphere, heiniken and premiership rugby in particular I cant deny that the Super 15 is exciting to watch. Love watching rugby from both hemisheres of course and each have their own appeal. I would also advise anyone who thinks that Leinster are the best thing going in rugby to watch some of the Super 15! Puts the term "Leinstertainment" to shame!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Did anyone see....? Empty Re: Did anyone see....?

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

Are all of your posts just going to be poorly hidden digs at Leinster?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

Gordy wrote:I would also advise anyone to watch some of the Super 15!

As I get older and grumpier there are things I used to watch that no longer appeal and are dropped as time gets more limited. These include:

IPL
Harlem Globetrotters
Super Rugby

Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:18 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Are all of your posts just going to be poorly hidden digs at Leinster?

The best team always attract this - people wanting to knock them down a peg, I imagine Leinster fans find posts like these quite reassuring.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:21 pm

Its not a dig at all at Leinster, its an advert for Super 15 rugby which is highly entertaining! Did anyone actually see the game or is just going to be dismissive Leinster fans complaining that not everyone believes their team is the greatest or most entertaining thing of all time!

Personally would love to see how some of the top NH sides would get on in the Super 15! I think the likes of Leinster could compete admirably but people who think they would win it are living in cloud cuckoo land!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

Gordy wrote:Its not a dig at all at Leinster, its an advert for Super 15 rugby which is highly entertaining!

Then you should not have mentioned Leinster. As to entertainment, as in beauty it is all in the eye of the beholder.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:28 pm

LondonTiger wrote:As I get older and grumpier there are things I used to watch that no longer appeal and are dropped as time gets more limited.
Hey, mate. That's my line. I've also been told I have become an insensitive dolt.

I saw the Blues-Chiefs match. Fun to watch. Lot's 'o scoring. But there was a lot of sloppy play and the only defense was 'Matador Defense'. And that's when there was any defense at all. I actually enjoyed the Bulls-Stormers match more.

Wouldn't compare it to anything, really. Not Leinster, not Leicester, not nobody.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:32 pm

Dr G. It is annoying just how long it takes to remove those hairs growing out of my ears Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:34 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:As I get older and grumpier there are things I used to watch that no longer appeal and are dropped as time gets more limited.
Hey, mate. That's my line. I've also been told I have become an insensitive dolt.

I saw the Blues-Chiefs match. Fun to watch. Lot's 'o scoring. But there was a lot of sloppy play and the only defense was 'Matador Defense'. And that's when there was any defense at all. I actually enjoyed the Bulls-Stormers match more.

Wouldn't compare it to anything, really. Not Leinster, not Leicester, not nobody.

Missed that one unfortunately. I agree with you on the defence but I cant see the top Northern teams being able to live with that kind of pace, clinical attacking or ruthless finishing.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

Gordy wrote:Its not a dig at all at Leinster, its an advert for Super 15 rugby which is highly entertaining! Did anyone actually see the game or is just going to be dismissive Leinster fans complaining that not everyone believes their team is the greatest or most entertaining thing of all time!

Personally would love to see how some of the top NH sides would get on in the Super 15! I think the likes of Leinster could compete admirably but people who think they would win it are living in cloud cuckoo land!

I'm an Ulster fan actually. Nobody has said Leinster is the best team, and if you are trying to make a point about how entertaining S15 rugby is you have no need to even mention Leinster. Your sly digs are becoming increasingly tedious. Change the tune mate.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Gordy wrote:Its not a dig at all at Leinster, its an advert for Super 15 rugby which is highly entertaining!

Then you should not have mentioned Leinster. As to entertainment, as in beauty it is all in the eye of the beholder.

The reason I brought up Leinster is because they are held as the bastion of flair, finesse and entertainment in the Northern Hemispher so its seemed logical to use them as a comparison!

For the record I think the Leicester side that won back to back Heiniken Cups were a better side and probably the only NH team that would have been capable of winning the Super 15 thanks to their dominant pack which could beat the S15 sides up front and slow down the play and quick ball their attacks depend on.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:51 pm

Leinster are not the best side in the world we know that!!!!...but if the reds can win it why cant any NH teams win it?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:55 pm

Puts the term "Leinstertainment" to shame!

That's the first time I've heard any such term. Sounds extremely cheesy, I hope commentators don't start using it Whistle

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Sun 03 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

Gordy, the only reason the Super 15 games contain such attractive, attacking, running rugby is because all teams subscribe to this style of play. It is not written down anywhere but the teams do it through mutual agreement so as to attract crowds. They enable it by having next to no competition at rucktime. If Leinster were to play these teams they wouldn't allow such freedom at the ruck.

BTW, Leinster played a near full strength Melbourne Rebels (not the best team, I know) in a preseason game this year, and using a reserves/youth team managed to beat them.

EDIT: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/matchcentre/8300.php

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:02 pm

"Gordy, the only reason the Super 15 games contain such attractive, attacking, running rugby is because all teams subscribe to this style of play. It is not written down anywhere but the teams do it through mutual agreement so as to attract crowds. They enable it by having next to no competition at rucktime. If Leinster were to play these teams they wouldn't allow such freedom at the ruck."

Can't agree with this. Where did you hear that? The teams are better at avoiding contact, and playing an expansive game, but some of the best breakdown experts play down south. Sure the all blacks usually destroy the NH teams with this style of rugby..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:

That's the first time I've heard any such term. Sounds extremely cheesy, I hope commentators don't start using it Whistle

Even Jerry Guscott is using it now!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Sun 03 Jun 2012, 7:11 pm

Ive probably worded it wrong Rory but ive seen it written somewhere before (not sure where though Headscratch ). It's probably BS but from the few matches I've seen recently it generally looks like this and so that view stayed with me.

I think I'll just keep my mouth shut when it comes to leagues I'm not too familiar with. censored picard

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

Well, it is fair to say Leinster is the best in the NH - they did win the HEC, no?

Could they hold their own against the better Super Rugby teams?
I think so, as could a few of the NH clubs, but this is what makes great debate. As things stand now, we will never know. Its just talking points.

Rory,
If you saw that Bulls-Stormers match, you would have seen great, physical, rock solid defense. The exact opposite of that Blues-Chiefs match. What makes the Super Rugby entertaining for me is the mix of styles. The NH clubs also have the same kind of tough defensive teams, but not extreme wide open play we see with the Reds and that Blues-Chiefs match. Most have more of a mix of styles and don't trend towards the extremes. This is neither good nor bad. Just the style of play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 03 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Well, it is fair to say Leinster is the best in the NH - they did win the HEC, no?

Could they hold their own against the better Super Rugby teams?
I think so, as could a few of the NH clubs, but this is what makes great debate. As things stand now, we will never know. Its just talking points.

Rory/Sean,
If you saw that Bulls-Stormers match, you would have seen great, physical, rock solid defense. The exact opposite of that Blues-Chiefs match. What makes the Super Rugby entertaining for me is the mix of styles. The NH clubs also have the same kind of tough defensive teams, but not extreme wide open play we see with the Reds and that Blues-Chiefs match. Most have more of a mix of styles and don't trend towards the extremes. This is neither good nor bad. Just the style of play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:46 pm

sean.c wrote:Ive probably worded it wrong Rory but ive seen it written somewhere before (not sure where though Headscratch ). It's probably BS but from the few matches I've seen recently it generally looks like this and so that view stayed with me.

I think I'll just keep my mouth shut when it comes to leagues I'm not too familiar with. censored picard

Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion. I'm not too familiar with it either. And the good doctor has taught us both something. thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by sean.c Sun 03 Jun 2012, 10:53 pm

A better way to say it is that it is a different style of play like between the Rabo or the Aviva. Once I'm done with school my summer will be pure SH rugby Very Happy

Doc, I watched the second half of the Bulls-Stormers game too and noticed it was much tighter. I put that down to it being a top of the conference clash though in contrast to the top-bottom of the Chiefs-Blues game

sean.c

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 03 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm

Gordy wrote:The recent Blues v Chiefs game in the Super15? Simply breathtaking! Hard to beat for pure entertainment! As much as I am loyal to our own Northern Hemisphere, heiniken and premiership rugby in particular I cant deny that the Super 15 is exciting to watch. Love watching rugby from both hemisheres of course and each have their own appeal. I would also advise anyone who thinks that Leinster are the best thing going in rugby to watch some of the Super 15! Puts the term "Leinstertainment" to shame!

Yes being an Auckland Blues supporter I put myself through the misery of watching this game and again we saw we saw a pathetic display by a team that does nothing but bring shame and humiliation to the proud rugby areas of Auckland,North harbour and North Auckland.
But on a positive note any game that has Maa Nonu marking Sonn Bill has to have something, More importantly what did you think of our new Centre? saturday night was his second game at this level...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 04 Jun 2012, 7:56 am

There is a lot to be said about the breakdown, whether you beleive it should be contested more down south, or whether it is too slow and infringes too much on faster play in the north.

The reality is when SH and NH meat, the faster play and faster ruck ball is to the advantage of the SH.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 04 Jun 2012, 8:17 am

Knowsit17 wrote:

Pretty sure Leinster coined it themselves, Its all over their advertising in Dublin and on the fans flagss along with 'sextons on fire ' and 'd4tress'.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 9:25 am

sean.c wrote:Doc, I watched the second half of the Bulls-Stormers game too and noticed it was much tighter. I put that down to it being a top of the conference clash though in contrast to the top-bottom of the Chiefs-Blues game
Mate, the Stormers always play a tough defense-oriented style.
The commentators mentioned the Stormers do not have any Try-bonus points so far this season. Yet, they lead the SA conference at 11 wins - 2 losses. The Bulls historically play a tough front-up style as well, but have great strike runners who can score from anywhere. In other words they earn their right to get the ball wide, are are pretty effective when they do it.

Laurie,
Was your new centre the kid who scored early for Blues? Seemed a kid with talent. This is the match of the week I will watch later with my lads. They usually pick one from the weekend (any competition) based upon the scores or matchups for us to watch together. They were asleep when the match was on. It started at 3:30 over here. Unfortunately, I was on duty at the time, but things were quiet so I was able to watch most of it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

Doc, you need to watch the Lions vs sharks, the biggest upset of the tournament for the Sharks, plenty of physical stuff and plenty of great tries.

the Lions won 38-28
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 04 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

Doc
Yes he did score Aucklands first try, his name is Francis saili, hes 21 but has represented NZ at both secs level and under 20s, what I like about this kid is how he is always busy,both in where all the traffic is but also out in the open. there are times I watch him and he reminds me of a young Tana Umanga, now that Ive gone and talked him up he'll come out next week and play like a donkey.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Doc
Yes he did score Aucklands first try, his name is Francis saili, hes 21 but has represented NZ at both secs level and under 20s, what I like about this kid is how he is always busy,both in where all the traffic is but also out in the open. there are times I watch him and he reminds me of a young Tana Umanga, now that Ive gone and talked him up he'll come out next week and play like a donkey.

Don't worry Laurie, the Blues don't have a game next week Wink

Jokes aside, Sai'ili (sp?) looked impressive. And he has one or 2 brothers in the Blues squad
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 04 Jun 2012, 12:14 pm

Yes, Peter is his older brother who also has played NZ Secs and under 20s, Peter plays blind/no 8. but just hasnt shown any of the potential he showed as a teenager. If he pulled his finger out he could be another Kaino.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 04 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

Biltong -
I didn't watch the Sharks-Lions match but I did record it. Originally, it wasn't high on my list to watch because I thought Sharks would win fairly easily. I saw the score afterwards and was pretty surprised. To be fair to Lions, however, they have hung tough in a number of recent matches, and maybe a win was in the cards. So, with your recommendation, I will watch in the next few days.

Laurie,
Saii. The kids name is familiar. He played in the U20s? If so, then I rememeber him playing quite well. He's a pretty big lad and has a real nice step if I recall. One to watch?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum