The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny slipping?

5 posters

Go down

Manny slipping? Empty Manny slipping?

Post by azania Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 pm

On what evidence?

He looked devastating against Cheat. He won every round against Mosely and struggled against JMM (probably lost). Many expected him to blow JMM away and KO Mosely. But look at the facts for a change. He always struggled with JMM. Mosely came to survive and arguably beat him more decisively than Floyd did. The issue here seems to be JMM and because Floyd beat him easily. Styles make fights and JMM always had the style as proven to give Manny fits.

I see no evidence of any slipping on the part of Manny.

What slipping do you guys see?

azania

Back to top Go down

Manny slipping? Empty Re: Manny slipping?

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 am

Not everyone thought Manny would be Marquez, I didn't. Manny is still a force in boxing and Tim Bradley is going to find that out the hard way.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 am

Most on here thought Manny would walk through Marquez (myself included). And now because he didn't, they're saying that he's slipping. Marquez was always going to be all wrong for Manny.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 am

i dont think theres much doubt mannys last two performances have been below his avereage

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 am

eddyfightfan wrote:i dont think theres much doubt mannys last two performances have been below his avereage

In what way? He struggled with Marquez as superFW, so I see no reason why he wouldn't struggle at a higher weight. He would always struggle with JMM. As for Mosely, its hard to look good against an opponent who is hell bent on survival.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:05 am

he has always struggled with him, but jmm beat he by 4-5 rounds imo last time, he didnt look like he had any answers to jmms punches, just couldnt pin him down. mosley did spoil the fight, but again manny looked like he couldnt get to him or look much on him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:08 am

JMM won 10-1-1 in their first fight. He has Manny's number. Can you name many boxers who look good against one hell bent on spoiling? Has anyone ever looked good against B-Hop?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:14 am

im not saying he is spent, but look at his last 2 performances compared to the 5 before. maybe he has set the bar to high and any off night against a unsuited styled opponent looks worse than it is- but i just think he might have peaked. he has had a long tough career.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:17 am

That's exactly what I'm doing. Look at his past performances with JMM and how does it compare with this. In fact he did better in this performance than in previous ones. Mosely was there to spoil after 3 rounds.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:21 am

i think he looked better against jmm before, he never hurt jmm or look dangerous, even when winning rounds.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:24 am

Credit should be given to JMM. As I said he has his number or close enough. I wouldn't put too much stock in his last 2 fights because of the type of opponents.

People are giving Canelo credit for his performance against Mosely, but Manny actually did a more convincing job on him. Methinks Manny is being judged too harshly. Everyone expects a dominant performance a la Hatton and Cheat. One led with his jaw and the other was wide open to be hit all day.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 am

I think when people bring up the last JMM fight as evidence to Manny slipping it's disrespectful to JMM, the guy is a fantastic boxer, he may not have the kudos of PBF or Manny & lost to them but so what. Its what a fighter does after defeats that matter especially when he's been matched like he has, he has never ducked a fighter, always comes in great shape & to fight. If anybody out there knows Manny's style & how to beat him its JMM.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 am

alveraz beat mosley much more convincing for me.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:34 am

No-one is saying he's shot though, people are merely pointing out that he is slightly past his prime and there probably true

The last JMM fight was a lot clearer (that marquez won) than the 2nd back in 2008 which was pretty 50/50 whereas most of the boxing public saw Marquez beating manny last time.

JMM was 38 last time and had struggled with Diaz, a good fighter but someone who should have been made for him, and taken down and hurt several times by katsidis, another fighter that was tailor made for JMM. He isn't a welterweight as pacquiao fans pointed out when he fought PBF and manny should have upped his game but couldn't

Pacquiao keeps getting leg cramps and isn't as springy as he used to be. Mosley managed to evade him for most of the fight and although not manny's fault a prime pacquiao should have managed to match his foot speed and get his punches off but couldn't

It's well documented about his social/political life and how its getting more serious and on the back of 2 poor performances it's not too much to assume its affecting him. Splits in the camp between roach, khan, aria, chavez are getting worse every year which can't help

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 am

I haven't said people saying he was shot. Just that people saying he was slipping. I don't buy either. He's just as good as he always was. Just his last two opponents didn't play ball as others have done. JMM didn't read the script and didn't allow himself to be pummeled and Mosely went into survival mode making a decent fight null and void.

Leg cramps were an excuse and SSM used his experience to avoid Manny's best shots. He went in there and spoilt. Nothing Manny could do about it. Hop goes in there and spoils and little anyone can do about it. They both make oponents look bad or not as good. Had it been an up and comer everyone would be singing his praises for shutting out SSM.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:59 am

sohotnot wrote:I think when people bring up the last JMM fight as evidence to Manny slipping it's disrespectful to JMM, the guy is a fantastic boxer, he may not have the kudos of PBF or Manny & lost to them but so what. Its what a fighter does after defeats that matter especially when he's been matched like he has, he has never ducked a fighter, always comes in great shape & to fight. If anybody out there knows Manny's style & how to beat him its JMM.

Exactly. JMM performing well against Manny is no indication of Manny slipping.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 am

I think it's partly just because he's expected to be. Fighting with his style while moving up in weights and fighting bigger guys in a career of, what? 60 fights? It seems likely that most guys would be slipping by now. Bradley will answer alot of questions.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:12 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I think it's partly just because he's expected to be. Fighting with his style while moving up in weights and fighting bigger guys in a career of, what? 60 fights? It seems likely that most guys would be slipping by now. Bradley will answer a lot of questions.

That's precisely it. People expect devastating wins all the time irrespective of opponents. And when it doesn't happen Manny is questioned instead of the opponent's tactics. Even the Manny who beat Hatton would have had issues with JMM and the SSM who showed up.

Manny has been fighting opponents who made him look good or better than what he actually is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down