The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June?

+9
Cowshot
Geordie
Poorfour
thebluesmancometh
munkian
blackcanelion
FerN
Biltong
doctor_grey
13 posters

Go down

Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Empty Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June?

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 am

Why do these June Internationals seem different than other June tours? Hard to put into words, but there seems to be a fair bit of optimism about the Northern Hemisphere teams touring this year. In past years, it always felt that weakened teams were going south simply to fulfill contractual obligations. And the results, with a few exceptions, was a boat load of embarrassment. Can’t quantify why, but this year has a different feel.

Is it lack of injuries (save maybe for Ireland)?
Is it that Wales and England have a positive feel about them after the Six Nations?
Is it new Super Rugby season with the extra Rugby being played?
Scotland have their match later today, but they seem better than their Six Nations record would indicate. If only they could play their back row forwards in all other positions!
France (shock!) appear to be a mystery, Who nows what will happen when they play the Pumas?

So, my question to one and all, is have I been sniffing the nitrous oxide?
Or whether is there real justification to feel positive this year about the NH squads? And, if so, why now?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Empty Re: Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June?

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:38 am

I think the first reason is it is test series and not one off tests, a test series provides you with an opportunity to come back from a loss, to learn from it and have another go.

Then you are probably right, the longer Super rugby tournament, mixed with the injuries to star plaers from the SH teams gives hope.

Then SA in particular has a new coach, forced to make 9 new cap selections and little time to prepare.

Australia's calendar must have been planned by an ant, no consideration for time required between test matches whcih means OZ must pick two teams.

And lastly hope springs eternal, I think the semi final in the RWC by wales followed by the Grandslam has pulled the home nations along in a state of euphoria and hope that this could be the year things change.

I just wonder what happens if they don't win.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Empty Re: Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June?

Post by FerN Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:15 am

Because the last couple of years the NH teams seem stronger - Wales especially (I thought they would go to the WC final, maybe even win it).

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 am

It seems to me there is almost always an air of optimism leading into tours at either end of the season. You have to back yourself, the media needs stories and to sell papers.

This year is as good a chance as any. No one really knows the relative merits of the teams until the first games are played.

Scotland face Australia B or C, with alost no preperation. They have to be a chance.

Wales are coming off one of their best seasons and face an injury hit Australian side with limited preperation and next to no recovery time. What's not to like.

England are on the up. New Coach and an ok 6 nations. The face a boks team, with a new coach and new team. You'd have to back yourself.

Ireland, come off great club form and face a NZ team the hope will be on a post world cup high. They are usually competative. Prime for the picking.

All good from an NH point of view I'm guessing.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

blackcanelion wrote:It seems to me there is almost always an air of optimism leading into tours at either end of the season. You have to back yourself, the media needs stories and to sell papers.

This year is as good a chance as any. No one really knows the relative merits of the teams until the first games are played.

Scotland face Australia B or C, with alost no preperation. They have to be a chance.

Wales are coming off one of their best seasons and face an injury hit Australian side with limited preperation and next to no recovery time. What's not to like.

England are on the up. New Coach and an ok 6 nations. The face a boks team, with a new coach and new team. You'd have to back yourself.

Ireland, come off great club form and face a NZ team the hope will be on a post world cup high. They are usually competative. Prime for the picking.

All good from an NH point of view I'm guessing.

OK
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:24 am

I don't buy into this 'we havn't got enough time to prepare' 'we have injuries' all the pressure is on the NH teams blah blah blah...

Thats the way the SH teams are going to unite, but fact is there isn't a first NH team down under, they all have injuries after a long long season!!! I don't buy this Super season affecting these tours, 10+ games gets you to peak performance, 4 games and your under cooked, a full season and you should be a little jaded!!!

Also I know 2 days is not long to prep, but in reality most of these players will know those around them, and have trained and played with these systems for a while now (except maybe Aus V Scotland, 6 debutants, 2 days, and a solid but uninspiring front row/back 3, Scotland need to win this one)

It wouldn't surprise me if Wales and England win their series, infact it wouldn't surprise me if they whitewashed SA and Aus, on the other hand losing is a habit, and it wouldn't also surprise me if both teams were whitwashed instead!

Ireland I think will win one...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:26 am

Ok just saw the Sccotland side... it isn't great, and I think Aus are fav's now!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:29 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I don't buy into this 'we havn't got enough time to prepare' 'we have injuries' all the pressure is on the NH teams blah blah blah...

Thats the way the SH teams are going to unite, but fact is there isn't a first NH team down under, they all have injuries after a long long season!!! I don't buy this Super season affecting these tours, 10+ games gets you to peak performance, 4 games and your under cooked, a full season and you should be a little jaded!!!

Also I know 2 days is not long to prep, but in reality most of these players will know those around them, and have trained and played with these systems for a while now (except maybe Aus V Scotland, 6 debutants, 2 days, and a solid but uninspiring front row/back 3, Scotland need to win this one)

It wouldn't surprise me if Wales and England win their series, infact it wouldn't surprise me if they whitewashed SA and Aus, on the other hand losing is a habit, and it wouldn't also surprise me if both teams were whitwashed instead!

Ireland I think will win one...
Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Smiley-rolleyes003

Well, thanks for that.Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Smiley-score002
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 pm

On the evidence of the Australia-Scotland game, Wales should be going after a series victory.

I can't realistically see Ireland taking one off the ABs, but there should be some good rugby played.

England will be facing a South Africa team whose primary weapons will be physicality and organisation, but won't have had much time to get organised. England must aim to exploit that lack of prep time in the first test, and if they can match the physicality, they have a chance. I hope Lancaster can get the squad to channel Catt's experience and the lessons the Quins players learned in facing up to Toulouse.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Well Scotland v Australia has just started it!

1-0 NH!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Why optimistic?

Wales: Good side. Young side. Maybe a very good side indeed in a year or two. They've had talented sides recently, but this side has a mental strength I think those other sides lacked and must know that if they want to be taken seriously as a world power in rugby they have to win this series vs Aus. I think they will.

England: Rebirth. Nuff said.

Scotland: Well, they noticeably weren't optimistic. Feeling a bit chirpier now, though!

Ireland: Guinness.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I can tell you now why the NH will be more optimistic.

Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Smiley-flag006
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Great start by the scots will build optimism for sure.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:55 pm

i think its time to find my aussie jumper i so forcefully stuffed in a black bag after the QF ( i have jerseys of all the tri nations ) . time to support our sanzar brothers Wallaby
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

You are correct bullsbok, we must stand united.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Great win by Scotland but as we know from last year Aus bounced back after the Samoan win to win the 3N and play some great rugby.

I dont think Scotland have done Wales any favours wnd expect a backlash. The weather made this game a leveller and in not taking away anything from Scotland on a firmer track the result would probably have been different.

In saying that..oz will have to regather big time against wales in short time to make the series competitive.

Last edited by Taylorman on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:32 pm

The Big boys from the south must silence the ominous rumblings from the touring Visitors . One loss on Saturday could open the floodgates

CMON SANZAR boxing 3 SH wins this weekend will make me a happy man
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Bullsbok wrote:The Big boys from the south must silence the ominous rumblings from the touring Visitors . One loss on Saturday could open the floodgates

You're not firm enough bullsbok.Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June? Fight10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotupina187 Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Id give all the NH sides a chance apart from us(Ireland) ...Kidney is dellusional with his team selection!

Cotupina187

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Bullsbok wrote:The Big boys from the south must silence the ominous rumblings from the touring Visitors . One loss on Saturday could open the floodgates

Most of the rumblings you hear are from my stomach after my mother-in-laws cooking.

But there is something in the air.
Very faint.
But it's there.
And, methinks the sound is growing. The sound of hope, the sound possibility, the sound of..............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KbcYnP2ZWQ

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:11 pm

the sound possibility, the sound of..............
silence?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:20 pm

"Why do Northern Hemisphere teams feel optimistic this June?"

Because the lowest ranked of those touring just beat the 3N champs for a 100% record so far for the NH.

Sounds good enough reason to me... thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:24 pm

Me too, mate. me too.
For the next four days, the NH can celebrate.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Ha ha...you dont see a repeat? I think there will be more in the Under 20's at least.

Wales will test Oz even though they'll be 'revengeful...'

England SA is the real enigma...2 newish teams both searching for their souls in this post Wcup playground...hmmmm...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah, its "defa vu all over again".

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I think there could be a few more wins this coming weekend. I'm an AB's and SANZAAR fan. I expect my team to win and will be diappointed if they don't. But I'm realistic enough to accpet that Ireland have a chance.

I said in the lead up that I thought Scotland had a great chance. I think Wales have a great chance this weekend. Australia have to back up in 4 days. Whilst the team that played Scotland was effectively a scratch side, some players will have to back up on Saturday. They wont train today and they'll have to be combined with players coming off super 15. I think it's a very big ask.

I think England are a good chance as well. Meyer seems to be reverting to SA rugby stereotype. I'm not sure that will neccessarily work against England. He's effectively chossing a Bulls side and will try and dominate England up front. I think it's an approach that is tailor made for England to counter.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:33 pm

The problem, I think, is that every team is going through atransition. And all have questions marks. To me, Aus-Wales and SA-Eng are the most fascinating. I worry for Ireland after their front row took a beating v. England. And no one knows how Arg-France will go.

This makes this year great.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 pm

Agreed. I think Wales-Australia and England-South Africa are really interesting to everyone. I wouldn't write Ireland off. We often struggle against them and our preperation isn't the best. Me feeling is they are bit light due to injuries and they'll probably struggle at scrum time. Added to that DC has a point to prove. So, confident, with vague sense of unease.

I think Argentina is interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the lose to Italy and then get up and beat the frogs. I think they will be more impacted by the French domestic season than the Italians (i.e. player release for this weekend). They have a long history with France and a good record. Added to this the French have already indicated they are going to rest players, whilst Argentina is building towards the rugby championship.

doctor_grey wrote:The problem, I think, is that every team is going through a transition. And all have questions marks. To me, Aus-Wales and SA-Eng are the most fascinating. I worry for Ireland after their front row took a beating v. England. And no one knows how Arg-France will go.

This makes this year great.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down