The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2012 Preview Group c

4 posters

Go down

Euro 2012 Preview Group c Empty Euro 2012 Preview Group c

Post by Adam D Fri 08 Jun 2012, 7:59 pm

Carl Remmer takes a look at each of the groups ahead of Euro 2012, highlighting the players and teams to watch.

Group C

Spain

Spain go into Euro 2012 as favourites, whilst looking to become the first nation to win three international tournaments in a row. It’s a big ask but they certainly have the squad for it, heavily influenced of course from Real Madrid and Barcelona. Even with the loss of Carles Puyol, Gerard Piqué and Sergio Ramos should be a strong enough pairing top cope and there’s very capable cover in Javi Martinez. If there’s one weak(ish) link, it could be in the full-back area. With Ramos moving inside, Alvaro Arbeloa is likely to come in on the right and Jordi Alba on the left. They will play a very high line and will provide the width in the team, particularly Alba, who has the pace to get up and down. He’s likely to secure a move to Barca after the tournament.

But it’s getting the ball off them to try and expose that open space. The trio of Busquets, Alonso and Xavi, just don’t give the ball away. And on the rare occasion they do, the likes of Iniesta and Silva will press the ball to win it back. Don’t be surprised if Fernando Torres starts upfront, as he’s well liked by coach Vicente del Bosque. He came in to a tiny bit of form for Chelsea at the end of the season and he the closest thing to David Villa they have in terms of style. Fernando Llorente offers them something completely different. A man amongst hobbits. Unplayable at times, and despite his aerial dominance, he’s quite able to get in behind defences. The majority of the squad have played a lot of games this season, so fatigue may be a factor come the latter stages, but they’re likely to top the group.

Group placing prediction: 1st

One to watch: Jordi Alba

Italy

Another tournament. Another scandal. It’s unlikely to galvanise this squad like previous ones in 2006 and 1982 though. A 3-0 defeat to Russia in their final warm-up game, recent home defeats to Uruguay and USA, a warm-up game with Luxembourg cancelled due to an earthquake, it’s fair to say they’ve not had the best of preparations. They’re a far more attack minded team under coach Cesare Prandelli, having managed to get the best out of the temperamental Antonio Cassano, despite the player suffering a life threatening illness just a few months ago. He was instrumental in qualifying prior to his illness and found some decent form for Milan at the end of the season.

The Italians have always produced strong central defenders and Giorgio Chiellini is certainly one of those. However, he played much of the season at left-back for title winning Juventus so it could mean his club team mate, Andrea Barzagli will be partnering someone else. If front of them, Daniele De Rossi will do the running for Andrea Pirlo, as he tries to pull the strings and free up Cassano. There’s been another season of goals for striker Antonio Di Natale as he banged in 29 last season. A rather late developer in football terms, he’s getting better as he gets older, but at 34, maintains the rather high average age of the team, as it always seems to be in tournaments. Only Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini are under the age of 24, and even with the mercurial talents of “Super Mario” (sorry!), I think they’ll emulate their showing at the 2010 World Cup by not getting out of the group.

Group placing prediction: 4th

One to watch: Mario Balotelli, who else?
Republic of Ireland

After the cruel way they were denied a place at the 2010 World cup, surely the Irish are just happy to be there at Euro 2012? Of course they’re bloody not! Republic of Ireland really fancy themselves doing something at this tournament, and they have some reason to be positive. Giovanni Trapattoni will certainly believe in himself, and instill belief in the squad that they can get out of this tough group. It ain’t gonna be pretty but it’s gonna be effective. A top class goalkeeper in Shay GIven, and with a defender like Richard Dunne who will put his foot, arse or face in the way of the ball, they’ve every chance of shutting teams out.

Robbie Keane’s international goal scoring record is second only to Germany’s Miroslav Klose at the competition, and he’ll be keen to make his mark at another major tournament. He’s most likely to play behind a striker where he’ll dictate play, as well as getting in the box. They have a very exciting prospect in James McClean, who made an immediate impact at Sunderland when Martin O’Neill arrived and through him straight into the team. He’s unlikely to start but Trap will be looking for him to inject a bit of pace and flair from the bench. I’ve got a feeling that Republic of Ireland with battle their way to qualification from the group.

Group placing prediction: 2nd

One to watch: James McClean

Croatia

Head coach Slaven Bilić is one of the good guys in football. He speaks his mind but often talks sense. However, his confidence about qualifying from this group is misguided I feel. Yes they’re happy to be playing Ireland in their first game, but if they don’t beat them (and I don’t think they will), then we may see a nervy, and largely inexperienced team buckling under pressure. They do have some sound experience in stalwart centre back Josip Šimunić and midfielder Darijo Srna, who’ve appeared at four and three tournaments respectively.

Everton striker Nikica Jelavić looked good in the Premier League, scoring 10 goals in 10 games, so he’s a likely starter for Croatia. That after the loss of Ivica Olić, who was replaced by the former Blackburn Rovers player Nikola Kalinić. They do have some real quality in midfield with Spurs’ Luka Modrić and Bayern’s Danijel Pranjić but I think they may get over run, as Bilić normally plays 4-4-2. And therefore, I don’t see them making it out of the group.

Group placing prediction: 3rd

One to watch: Ivan Rakitić

http://v2journal.com/group-c-preview-euro-2012.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Euro 2012 Preview Group c Empty Re: Euro 2012 Preview Group c

Post by Thomond Sat 09 Jun 2012, 9:23 am

He's picked Ireland to get through. I like him!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by cremmer Sat 09 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

Thomond wrote:He's picked Ireland to get through. I like him!
Maybe my heart was ruling my head a bit, but I dunno...I've just got a feeling you'll do it

cremmer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:42 pm

I feel we'll come 2nd aswell.

Just had text from my brother on train to Poznan.

Loads of Irish in Berlin where they flew to.

Ten years is a long time since we qualified.

For some of these guys will be there last chance.
Cant wait for tomorrow night(dont normally say that on saturday afternoon).

C'mon you boys in green.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

You'll never beat the Irish......

P.S. Watch out for my preview ahead of the Croatia game, nearly finished it will hopefull be on the journal by tomorrow at the latest.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by cremmer Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

Thomond wrote:You'll never beat the Irish......

P.S. Watch out for my preview ahead of the Croatia game, nearly finished it will hopefull be on the journal by tomorrow at the latest.
Look forward to reading it thumbsup

cremmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down