The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Am the Man: I Am the One

+6
Sir. badgerhands
azania
eddyfightfan
Il Gialloblu
paperbag_puncher
davidemore
10 posters

Go down

I Am the Man: I Am the One Empty I Am the Man: I Am the One

Post by davidemore Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 4:31

Top 5 most self believing boxers, regardless of ability but also noted as at least, contenders.

1. Mayweather

He believes and puts that belief into his training. Fact, the guy knows his skill set, and works hard to keep his mind sharp.

2. Carl Froch

Unbelievable will power, has won him many a fight. What a strong mind.

3. Andre Ward

Thinks god wins him his fights, nuff said.

4. Timothy Bradley

Not the most gifted but man alive he gets it done... "they trying to take food out my kids mouths!" I would never try that Tim, you'd pancake me if i did.

5. Audley Harrison

Controversial? Nah, look at the guy, coming back again! Longing to be called... "the new!" A-Force baby, he got the belief. He got it, you know it. California's finest.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

I Am the Man: I Am the One Empty Re: I Am the Man: I Am the One

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 8:18

davidemore wrote:Top 5 most self believing boxers, regardless of ability but also noted as at least, contenders.

1. Mayweather

He believes and puts that belief into his training. Fact, the guy knows his skill set, and works hard to keep his mind sharp.

2. Carl Froch

Unbelievable will power, has won him many a fight. What a strong mind.

3. Andre Ward

Thinks god wins him his fights, nuff said.

4. Timothy Bradley

Not the most gifted but man alive he gets it done... "they trying to take food out my kids mouths!" I would never try that Tim, you'd pancake me if i did.

5. Audley Harrison

Controversial? Nah, look at the guy, coming back again! Longing to be called... "the new!" A-Force baby, he got the belief. He got it, you know it. California's finest.

Thoughts?

Disagree with Audley. He doesn't really believe in himself. He does however believe that we are all morons and believe that he believes in himself..

Davide are all of your recent articles an exercise in seeing how many lists you can make that contain the name Carl Froch?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 8:44

I would take issue with one of your choices Dave and it may surprise you to learn which one.

Carl Froch.

I truly think the guy suffers from the occasional bout of self-doubt.

Now, let me say first of all that I'm a Notts lad myself and Froch is my favourite boxer. So there is no agenda on my part to run him down.

It's just that every time he says he will do this or that to whomever his potential next opponent may be, I don't always believe that he believes what he is saying himself.

I remember a staredown between Froch and Pascal before their fight. As far as I remember, Pascal didn't flinch. Froch left his stare first to try to gee up the crowd. A commentator at the time, I don't remember who, said that showed signs of nerves from Froch.

He is also a notoriously slow starter. I think this comes from nerves. Observe the first (and only? I have to confess to being unsure of this) knock-down he has suffered in his career... in the 3rd round of his first title defence against Taylor, his first big fight overseas. Knowing what we do now about Carl's chin, I would be of the opinion that Taylor was able to put him on his bum due to nerves.

With more confidence, he could (or should? or even would?) have beaten Kessler. I think the Abraham masterclass and the destruction of Bute were him being extra fired up after his only two losses.

When I've seen him box, he often looks lazy and has a habit of ignoring whatever instructions Rob McRacken is trying to shout to him, as if he wants to do things his way. This wanting to do things his way doesn't show mental strength to me. If anything, it sometimes makes me feel that he has given up and is trying for a knockout or tide-turning blow that may or may not come.

Don't get me wrong, I love Froch. He has done great things with relatively limited skills. Could he have achieved even more with greater confidence? For me, yes.

He could have beaten Kessler. Could he have beaten Ward? I don't think so. But he looked subdued and lacking in confidence as soon as the first bell rang. I think with more confidence would have come a better showing. He would still have lost but it didn't have to be so one sided.

Would he beat Kessler in a re-match? I think so... because he has something to prove so he will be up for it, as he was against Abraham and Bute.

Froch may be flavour of the month after nailing Bute but can I seriously deny that he has never had any crises of confidence earlier in his career?

No, I can't.

Once he gets the bit between his teeth in the ring... magic. But for me, as much as it pains me to say, there are undeniable instances where he has shown mental weakness either outside or inside the ropes.

So for that reason, controversial as it may be, I don't think he should be in your top 5.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 9:50

Giabollu intersting points my man. I agree that if Froch lacks confidence he loses, generally. Kessler and Ward were good examples of an unsettled Frochy!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 17:54

tyson, haye, naz and broner are/were all uber confident

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:26

Sven Ottke. A true believer in his skills and the skills of the judges.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:38

azania wrote:Sven Ottke. A true believer in his skills and the skills of the judges.

laughing The only boxer in history who knew if he was fighting at home he could still eek out a points win even if sitting in the centre of the ring eating jam sandwiches.

Hagler would be my pick for a fighter with utter self belief.

Still current my pick would be Floyd. Can beat most fighters in 1st gear and knows it.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:43

Roj Jones was utterly confident as he knew he was head and shoulders above all other boxers within 2 stones of his weight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:56

Audley has belief up until the point he gets in the ring

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:20; edited 2 times in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 18:57

Sir. badgerhands wrote:
azania wrote:Sven Ottke. A true believer in his skills and the skills of the judges.

laughing The only boxer in history who knew if he was fighting at home he could still eek out a points win even if sitting in the centre of the ring eating jam sandwiches.

Still current my pick would be Floyd. Can beat most fighters in 1st gear and knows it.

Does no one else believe Hagler was overawed/psyched out vs duran/Leonard? Surely there was some room for doubt - he almost lost/lost because of an unexpected timidness?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:07

ShahenshahG wrote:
Sir. badgerhands wrote:

Does no one else believe Hagler was overawed/psyched out vs duran/Leonard? Surely there was some room for doubt - he almost lost/lost because of an unexpected timidness?

Maybe, but for a chap who had close to 70 fights I think I can forgive him a couple of moments of self doubt.

Would always put his performance against Hearns as the epitome of self belief.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:33

The Hagler/Duran fight was not even close. The judges were doing Duran a favour because he wasn't getting shellacked from pillar to post as many thought would happen.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:40

Broner for me at the moment, he's very sure of himself.

I'm not so convinced Mayweathers self belief. If he actually thought he was as good as he always says he is then he would have taken some of the harder fights that have been available for him. I genuinely think he didn't realise how good he was earlier in his career. There have been a few fights which should have been made which I'd have Floyd a comfortable winner in but I'm just not sure Mayweather ever fancied them.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 19:54

bellchees wrote:Broner for me at the moment, he's very sure of himself.

I'm not so convinced Mayweathers self belief. If he actually thought he was as good as he always says he is then he would have taken some of the harder fights that have been available for him. I genuinely think he didn't realise how good he was earlier in his career. There have been a few fights which should have been made which I'd have Floyd a comfortable winner in but I'm just not sure Mayweather ever fancied them.

Williams and Margartito spring to mind although not many people were all that keen on facing them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 21:10

Broner seems sure because he knows he's fighting dross.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 22:13

azania wrote:Broner seems sure because he knows he's fighting dross.

Their isn't much at his weight tbf. 135lbs isn't that strong a division any more either. He did offer Burns a fight who could have been considered the top man at 130lbs I didn't think he was but a lot of people did.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 23:51

did the broner sykes fight fall through?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 23:57

alma wrote:Burns v broner would be a really interesting fight. Maybe it'll happen at 135. If broner steps up a weight and the WBO make him the mandatory not sure how burns and warren can get out of that one.

Assuming burns beats Mitchell of course (which I hope he does)

If Broner targets Burns's title, watch Ricky move up to Heavyweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 14 Jun 2012 - 23:58

eddyfightfan wrote:did the broner sykes fight fall through?

Yeah. The Peterson;Khan card was cancelled. Gotta feel happy and sorry for Sykes to be fair. Lost a good payday and exposure, but saved from a bad beat-down. Total mis match.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jun 2012 - 11:02

azania wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:did the broner sykes fight fall through?

Yeah. The Peterson;Khan card was cancelled. Gotta feel happy and sorry for Sykes to be fair. Lost a good payday and exposure, but saved from a bad beat-down. Total mis match.

He never deserved it anyway. If he wasn't a Brit the fight would have been getting slated.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum