The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stadia: Size isn't everything

5 posters

Go down

Stadia: Size isn't everything Empty Stadia: Size isn't everything

Post by Portnoy Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

So many sides are downsizing to create an environment that creates an intimate atmosphere.

My guess is that the Sarries' new Barnet ground will create a new, hostile experience for opposing sides and visiting fans. Equally Cardiff at CAP and Edinburgh and Glasgow prospective changes.

It seems to me that there is a critical mass required to generate an atmosphere that is productive to generate the required intensity and that is that the home venue should be at least 2/3rds capacity of the stadium.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Stadia: Size isn't everything Empty Re: Stadia: Size isn't everything

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:18 am

I'd of thought the quality of the playing surface was more important.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
I'd of thought the quality of the playing surface was more important.

Why? The field of play is what the elements chuck at you.

But if the stadium potentially holds 15-20000 and the crowd is a quarter of it, then that's a hollow environment.

I think that you are speaking as a rugby purist rather than a realist perspective.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

"Size isn't everything"

It was in the lineout area of the game in the 1990's where England had 2 beanpole locks who easily towered over all opposition team's lock forwards, particularly the Scottish locks.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Fri 15 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

I think what your focusing on is match atmosphere and it is very important element of the professional game.
Key on this is getting as many people into the stadium as possible and not having a stadium that is only half full as there will be loads of empty spaces.
I'd add to that with;
- As much steel and concrete surfaces in the roof to echo back any noise that is generated.
- to have the stands end as close to the field of play as possible (no running tracks!).
- to have vocal supporters with a core list of chants/songs
- even though I prefer having a seat, terraced areas generate better atmosphere as well, you feel more part of the crowd and united by the emotion of the game.

As a leinster supporter, I think the RDS has a good atmosphere now but that wasn't always the case. I think it was ASMs first visit to RDS and their fans had great colour and noise to them spread all over the ground it was a wake up call to the rest of us to get vocal.... and at this stage my own cursing towards the field is often drowned out but positive urging from the grandstand.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

Definitely agree. Last season I saw Ulster hammer the Blues in a empty soulless Cardiff City Stadium. This season I watched Ulster narrowly loose to an OK Blues side in the Arms Park. It was so hostile and close I believe that it was that Stadium that helped the Blues to victory that night. Just like for most away teams Ravenhill is a hostile ground very hard to win in.

Most of the English and French sides have perfect sized stadiums which does not just help attract fans with a great atmosphere but it looks good on T.V. - so for any new comers to the sport it sells rugby and sells the league, one thing the Celtic League needs to sort out.

The quicker Edinburgh and the likes get into normal sized decent rugby grounds the better it is for the sport, league, fans and team.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down