The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs West Indies, First ODI debate

+8
gboycottnut
trebellbobaggins
mystiroakey
Duty281
Corporalhumblebucket
Carrotdude
alfie
msp83
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England vs West Indies, First ODI debate Empty England vs West Indies, First ODI debate

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 9:15 am

So the ODI series between England and West Indies, the first of a few for England in this summer is getting underway today. After a test series that largely went according to plan for England, a greater challenge is what is awaiting them in the ODI series. To start with, West Indies are back to full strength, with their best ODI battsman, one of the best in the world in the format returning to opening the innings. Besides Chris Gayle, all-rounders Dwayne Bravo, Kiron Pollard, Andre Russell and Dwayne Smith are back for the visitors. On their day, all of them can turn a match in their favor. Denesh Ramdin might bat as low as 9, an indication of the power packed batting lineup that the West Indies have got. Their bowling unit too looks decent, Ravi Rampaul has form behind him from the test series, Darren Sammy might find the overhead conditions to his liking, Russell has got decent pace, Bravo and Pollard have a few variations going for them, Sunil Narine, despite his lowkey test debut has a pretty decent ODI record in his short career so far. Marlon Samuels and Chris Gayle should be the best available parttime support bowlers in the world at the moment. Bravo and Pollard are great additions in the field as well.
As far as England are concerned, the greatest advantage going for them is that they are playing at home. They have shown in the past that their bowlers, just like the case in other formats, are going to be quite a handful for any side, even more so if the overhead conditions also favor them. Alastair Cook the captain has established his position and authority in the ODI side through his consistent performance over the last year or so. Jonathan Trott has been a run machine in the format, and Eoin Morgan not too long ago, was as good a finisher as anyone else.
England's comforts end there, and then there are a few problems. With Kevin Pietersen's rather early retirement from the format, the opening combenation has yet again become an issue. The KP Cook experiment was starting to work well, and now Ian Bell, a very different player to KP in many ways, has been ask to deliver. Alastair Cook has turned himself around as an ODI player, Bell hasn't quite taken his ODI chances as yet. Will he be able to take the challenge head on? A top 4 of Cook, Bell, Trott and Bopara? Well not the most frightening thought for bowlers around the world as of now!!.
Many call the WI favorits, I won't go to that extend, England in their backyard is a strong enough proposition not to get into anything fancy like that. I would say 50-50, WI has the firepower, England have the bowling and conditions.
All in all, should be a much more close issue than the test series was.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies, First ODI debate Empty Re: England vs West Indies, First ODI debate

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

West Indies starts with a setback even before the first ball, Chris Gayle ruled out of the first match, and even potentially from the series due to a foot injury. What a terrible shame!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

England vs West Indies, First ODI debate Empty Re: England vs West Indies, First ODI debate

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:29 am

And the good news for England is that Ian Bell is playing.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

England team: Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Ravi Bopara, Eoin Morgan, Craig Kieswetter, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn.
West Indies:Dwayne Smith,Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Kiron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo, Denesh Ramdin, Andre Russell, Darren Sammy, Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine.
Interestingly, Dwayne Smith is been prefered over Johnson Charles or Adrian Barath. Smith can hit the ball, but he's not Chris Gayle.
England a touch light with the bat I think, but the bowling is pretty strong with 4 quality seamers and Swanny.
WI won the toss and are bowling.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:47 am

Rampaul with the first over. Would be interesting to see who would take the new ball at the other end.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

And Rampaul strikes early, Captain Cook gone for a duck, caught Ramdin bowled Rampaul.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Will Sammy throw the ball to Narine from the other end?

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

Review from West Indies, Trott survives!. Saved on umpire's call there. WI lost their only review here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:55 am

Its Russell from the other end.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:15 am

Good start for West Indies and Rampaul...

But Bell seems to be seeing them pretty well now Smile

Russell under pressure...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:48 am

Bell's playing really well but a bit concerned by Trott's sluggishness yet again, 19 off 41 isn't good enough really but the RR isn't too bad overall

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

81 - 1 after 16 overs. Good recovery.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:49 pm

Is it too early to say Bell has put in a fair claim to be the long term replacement for KP as an ODI opener ? Smile

Yeah OK , I know one swallow etc ... Still it is a decent start...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 12:53 pm

Keeping an eye on the score, Bell doing well so far (sorry if I jinx him!).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

166/3 after 31 , England should be on for a very big score here ...

Only problem for them is this team is a bit bowler-heavy ... Not a lot of real batting after these two.

Should still be able to get 280 - more if Bell can bat through...

99 no at drinks Fingers Crossed

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

Hundred Bubbly

Well played...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

i feel guilty for not watching the cricket- so here i am!!!

great start by england and bell in particular.

I didnt expect him to take on KP's role so quickly and so well!!

well chuffed . I will admit to being one of bells biggest doubters!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i feel guilty for not watching the cricket- so here i am!!!

great start by england and bell in particular.

I didnt expect him to take on KP's role so quickly and so well!!

well chuffed . I will admit to being one of bells biggest doubters!

Hey fair enough Roakey , the rugby was rather engrossing ... I did enough channel surfing earlier on ... Had to feel a bit sorry for Wales !

So you have now arrived in time to see England self destruct at the sight of a batting power play Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Brilliant hundred from Bell, shame to get out the way he just did though! I really don't like Kieswetter down the order (or in the side at all for that matter). Is Bairstow injured or dropped ? I'd much rather have him there.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

yeah lol.. PP time England vs West Indies, First ODI debate 3768075377

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

Afternoon peeps.

Stuttering performance from eng here then.

What is a good score on here? I've seen a few low scoring t20 matches here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:51 pm

i think bairstow should be gettig as much england time as possible if we play him in the tests v SA. if we aree considering mogs again then fair enough

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 16 Jun 2012, 1:54 pm

I just don't understand the logic - if we're playing a keeper at 6 then surely Bairstow has proved he is better in that position than Kieswetter? Maybe they don't like his keeping enough but it's not like Kies is amazing behind the stumps is it?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Afternoon peeps.

Stuttering performance from eng here then.

What is a good score on here? I've seen a few low scoring t20 matches here.

Afternoon trebell

Assuming they can get to 280 it should be plenty ... The side is loaded with bowlers today. Will want these two and Swann to hit a few boundaries yet though - would be an awful waste of Bell's innings to settle for 260 odd...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

It was another classic. I turn on and wickets tumbled so I had to turn off.

There really is no point me having sky these days lol.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Hi Alfie.

Indeed. As Alec Stewart says, that 30 over score would have seen them up near 300.

Now that is very high for this ground it it ignors that when wickets falls it tends to slow down rapidly here. But yes less than 280 is squandering a chance to have a very high score here. Shame.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

Nice big six Stuart Broad clap

280 looks well on now ...maybe a few more Very Happy

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

So : 288

Good finishing SB and Kies clap

Should be plenty

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

Surley we cant mess this up from here!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

Impressive end, nearly 290 is very high at this ground and they didn't squander the chance their first 30 overs gave them, ok could have been ten more but still good,

Of course windies have lots of batting. Tino will probably do it on his own,

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

288. Fantastic innings by Bell, good support by Trott and good quick-hitting by Kieswetter, Broad and Bresnan. Don't see WI getting 289 without Gayle and facing Anderson, Broad, Finn, Bresnan and Swann.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Stewart not happy they got less than 300. Seems ok to me.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

Ok to you- whats your game pal?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Sorry?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

Come on Trebbs dont let the side down.

Ok i will take over.

Rubbish performance from england- teams would get more than that playing t20.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 2:52 pm

Oh poop. Bad nights sleep, serious back pain.. Forgot myself for a minute.

Sorry won't happen agan.

What a load of rubbish.. God. England ladies could have doubled that shambles of a score.

Windies will get this in ten overs.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

England vs West Indies, First ODI debate 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Anderson a bit too straight this over and going for a few ...

...until Very Happy

25/1

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Ramdin in at three ...Mike Atherton wondering if he has a note in his pocket Very Happy

And Smith takes a liking to Finn's bowling ...4 6 . 4

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

ermm - he is whacking finn up!!

get swanny on!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

Close for the run out ! Bat might actually not have tossed the line , but fair enough , the batsman gets the benefit of any doubt.

Decent old start from West Indies ... But Smith must be near his limit at 36 ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

I think it was run out myself. It was on the line.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 3:59 pm

Hmm. Smith rather carving up the attack at the moment...

Keep going like this they'll run this down with overs to spare. England will have a problem if Swann is unable to bowl.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

Windies making this look easy atm, we need Gareth Batty to sort this out.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:02 pm

Aha ...Swann is OK , and on to bowl ...

Wickets soon Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Windies making this look easy atm, we need Gareth Batty to sort this out.

thumbsup Maybe England should be looking at bowling attack for ODIs and T20 of Batty, Ansari, Spriegel, Hamilton Brown Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Windies making this look easy atm, we need Gareth Batty to sort this out.

So much for our so-called World class test match bowling attack. It is nothing more than mediocre at best when batsmen have the ability to attack the bowlers.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Smith gone but windies well ahead at the mo.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:21 pm

Double breakthrough by Bresnan ... Two new batsmen in now , and I think this partnership will be very much the key to this game.

If England can grab one of these cheapish they'll be back on track.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 16 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

gbboycott good one- your the new trebbs England vs West Indies, First ODI debate 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next