The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro 2012: Day 10 Thread

+11
Hibbz
mystiroakey
Thomond
EnglishReign
Leff
GSC
Gregers
Crimey
Postie
JamesLincs
Duty281
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Euro 2012: Day 10 Thread - Page 3 Empty Euro 2012: Day 10 Thread

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Jun 2012, 8:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Portugal v Netherlands (19:45, ITV 1)
Denmark v Germany (19:45, ITV 4)

Current Group Standings:

Germany - 6
Portugal - 3
Denmark - 3
Holland - 0

If points are level, sorting criteria is thus:

Equality of points after the group matches
8.07 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the
following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:
a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;
b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if MORE
than two teams finish equal on points);
c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if
MORE than two teams finish equal on points);
d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;
e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;
f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I,
paragraph 1.2.2);
g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
h) drawing of lots.

And this is what each team needs to do:

Germany (v Denmark)
Win - Secures qualification and top spot.
Draw - Secures qualification and top spot.
Lose - Through with a 3-2 defeat, or a higher-scoring one-goal loss. Otherwise, out if Portugal beat Netherlands, but through if the Portuguese do not claim three points.

Portugal (v Netherlands)
Win - Secures qualification unless Denmark beat Germany 3-2, or by a higher-scoring one-goal margin.
Draw - Secures qualification if Denmark do not beat Germany.
Lose - A one-goal defeat would still see them through if Germany beat Denmark, but any more and they are out.

Denmark (v Germany)
Win - Secures qualification.
Draw - Will only be enough if Netherlands beat Portugal.
Lose - Out.

Netherlands (v Portugal)
Win - Secures qualification if by more than one goal and Germany beat Denmark.
Draw - Out.
Lose - Out.

Final day of Group B. Can Portugal make the final step against Holland? Can the Danes shock Germany? Can Holland conjure up a great escape? Or will Germany capitulate completely? All will be revealed on Sunday night, enjoy!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Euro 2012: Day 10 Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Euro 2012: Day 10 Thread

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:56 pm

Carroll doesnt deserve to be dropped.. anyway Rooney had his time at the 2006 and 2010 world cups, and 2008 farce, time to give others the lead now.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:17 pm

what about gerrard? oh no i forgot he plays for liverpool

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

At the end of the day, Rooney is the best player England have. Ultimately our chances are better with him in the team than Carroll.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:49 am

Just watched an interview Jack van Gelder had with Bert van Marwijk 15 minutes after the match. He really went for van Marwijk about his selection of van Bommell over v/d Vaart.
He then asked van Marwijk if he would quit, his answer was that '15 minutes after the match i am not thinking of my future'
van Gelder then said that he should step down as this has been largely his fault for the team selections and playing men out of position.
I think that we will see a resignation or sacking within the next few days.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:20 am

cheers billy. He has to go. Lets be honest weather it is his falut or not(i think blame has to be apportioned anyway), Its not worth him being there- he will get vilified by fans and press

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:29 am

The thing is, van Marwijk has continually selected and old and slow van Bommell because he is his son in law. He was hounded for it two years ago and hasnt change his stance until halfway through the German match.
He continually picked Robben who (although a world class player) is not a team player and is the source of many infights within the team.

Jack van Gelder likened the selection of van Bommell and Robben to that of Germany's selection of a very old Lothar Matthäus in 2000 when none of the Germans wanted him there and seemingly threw away their matches in to make a point.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:06 am

The new toughest job in football perhaps??

Does Holland do a france and restart with fresh youngsters or do they stick with the players and go for a people type manager that can try and fix the broken team ethic with the greats they have.

TBH i cant see them doing either but there you go!! They seem to be going on an england style journey to me(but with better players)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:16 am

I don't see how anyone watching hollan can question the selection of van bommel, defensive midfielders like him aren't my cup of tea but holland were so incredibly vulnerable because all vdv can do is shoot or take set pieces.

Poor centre halfs, attack minded full backs and their work shy attack was a recipe for disaster and looked what happened.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:19 am

I think the Van Bommel selection was not the problem, it was clear that the defence were not good enough so the two defensive midfielders were used to cover the poor defence, it got them many wins in qualifying and the World Cup so it wouldn't have made sense to suddenly change it.

The defence was the main issue, there wasn't one good defender in their squad.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:29 am

Holland are about scoring more than the opposition. They looked a shadow of the team that played v england in the recent friendly. Yes england punished there bad defending and drew level- The difference was that they didnt give up and hit us hard after we did. In these competitive games they gave up at that situation.

I think its just a case of the longer certain teams are together the better they get as a unit, but the reverse also applies- the longer teams like the present holland are together the worse they got- and its not footballing related. There are a bunch of drama queens

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:03 am

Crimey wrote:I think the Van Bommel selection was not the problem, it was clear that the defence were not good enough so the two defensive midfielders were used to cover the poor defence, it got them many wins in qualifying and the World Cup so it wouldn't have made sense to suddenly change it.

The defence was the main issue, there wasn't one good defender in their squad.

When former greats like Johann Cruijff, Pierre van Hooijdonk and Ruud van Nistlerooij all come out and say that van Bommel was not a good selection and that the team looked better when he was removed then i guess that i will listen to them. Their defense was extremely poor thats for sure but in the first match van Bommel left the defense horribly exposed due to his lack of speed and the same could be said in the first half against Germany. They looked much more better with Rafael v/d Vaart playing. Agaisnt Portugal, Holland were desperate for a win by two goals so pushed up way too far and let themselves be exposed. It was do or die from them. Had they have been in a better position then i am sure that they would have had a better game plan.

The biggest concern within the Dutch media, however, is the apparent lack of heart. Too often they got their heads down and basically gave up in matches. This was not a fitness issue, it was pure lack of heart and they are being mauled for it in the papers here today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

I think Holland main problem wasnt their defense (granted it was shaky and I felt bad for the poor right back) but the (lack of) midfied. countless time when they had the ball, didnt know what to do with it and ended up giving it back to the goal keeper. this is down to tactics not skills and they made portugal looked better than what they are.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3