The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix'

+2
GSC
Duty281
6 posters

Go down

Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix' Empty Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix'

Post by Duty281 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

Italy facing repeat of Euro 2004's 'Nordic fix' but only have themselves to blame
The Azzurri are still bitter about the 2-2 draw between Sweden and Denmark that eliminated them eight years ago, and they are now worried about suffering the same fate this summer

"Someone should be ashamed and it's not us," Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon fumed, pointing the finger of blame squarely at Denmark and Sweden. "I'm very bitter. I didn't believe this would happen with people who are proud of their spirit of fair play."

Italian Football Federation president Franco Carraro was just as incensed. "There is no doubt that the way the Denmark versus Sweden game developed shows that the two teams were aiming for a draw," he alleged.

It was in such a climate of acrimony and controversy that the Azzurri's Euro 2004 campaign drew to a close. The anger was unjustified but understandable ...

Italy's tournament opener against the Danes had finished scoreless. They looked poised to claim a priceless 1-0 win over Sweden in their next outing but were again forced to settle for a share of the spoils courtesy of the most wonderful back-flick volley from Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

That result left the Nazionale third in the group, but just two points behind the Danes and the Swedes, both of whom had defeated Bulgaria. Italy therefore went into their final Group C fixture knowing that a victory would ensure their progression to the last eight - provided the Scandinavian rivals did not draw 2-2 or higher in Porto.

The Azzurri were staring elimination in the face when they conceded a contentious penalty to Bulgaria winger Martin Petrov on the stroke of half-time in Guimaraes. However, Simone Perotta levelled matters within two minutes of the restart and when Antonio Cassano popped up with a 94th-minute winner, a nation breathed a sigh of relief.

Still, it is not in the least bit surprising that unintentional irony was the last thing on Italian minds and that things were said in the heat of the moment. The manner of the elimination was excruciating in the extreme.

Consequently, the outside chance of suffering the same fate at Euro 2012 must be particularly disconcerting for Buffon, Cassano and their only other remaining team-mate from the 2004 panel, Andrea Pirlo. However, after again opening with back-to-back draws, this time against Spain and Croatia, this is precisely the situation that the trio find themselves in.

Spain and Croatia have both amassed four points from their opening two games and Vicente del Bosque's men top the table on account of their superior goal difference. Italy, meanwhile, sit third, two points adrift of the co-leaders.

As things stand, a win over the already-eliminated Republic of Ireland will definitely see Italy through to the next round, unless of course the Croatia v Spain showdown fails to produce a winner. In such a scenario, things would get complicated.

A 0-0 draw in Gdansk would eliminate Croatia and see Italy progress as group winners on goals scored in the three-way head-to-head table, while a 1-1 draw in Gdansk would mean that all three sides would have identical records against one another, thus bringing results against the Irish into play. The placings would be therefore decided by the teams' overall goal difference.

In that eventuality, Spain would definitely progress as they are currently +4, while the other qualification berth would go to the side with the better overall goal difference. In this scenario, Italy would only be guaranteed a place in they defeated the Irish by three clear goals. Confused, yet?!

The main point is that if Spain’s clash with Croatia finishes 2-2 or higher, Italy are out, irrespective of what they do against the Irish. All the Azzurri can do is focus on beating Giovanni Trapattoni’s troops in Poznan.

Of course, that Trap was Italy’s coach in 2004 only makes things more interesting. Indeed, if Italy are worried about Croatia and Spain conspiring to knock them out, perhaps Slaven Bilic should be just as concerned by the prospect of Trapattoni sending out a weakened team against his compatriots.

However, let's put the conspiracy theories to one side for now. As Sweden's Olof Mellberg pointed out eight years ago, "You always have it in your own hands from the start in these tournaments - and Italy haven't done well enough to go through."

Indeed, if fortune again frowns on the Azzurri, let us hope that they do not start making wild accusations as they did eight years ago, and instead begin their search for those responsible by simply looking into a mirror.

This was quoted from here.

And it's quite possible it could happen again, a draw that is 2-2 or higher between Croatia and Spain would see Italy out regardless of what happened in Italy-Ireland.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix' Empty Re: Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix'

Post by GSC Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

Spain will most likely dismantle Croatia anyway
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix' Empty Re: Azzurri Fear Repeat Of Euro 2004 'Fix'

Post by Gregers Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:00 am

Reckon Croatia could do it tomorrow, they're number 8 in the world for a reason.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:03 am

And Spain are #1 for a reason. I just can't see Croatia's defense keeping Spain out.

Besides these rankings are a bit funny.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:19 am

If it is 2-2 surely it has to be a little suspicious? That's not a common score at all.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:18 pm

if it does happen, start putting money on greece Wink

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:06 pm

Croats certainly won't get done 4-0 like the awful Irish, but they will still lose. Torres on form I can see 3-1. I still remember that Sweden-Denmark fiasco, pretty cheap if they intended for a 2-2, but was still Italy's fault to be in that position after 2 games.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Croats certainly won't get done 4-0 like the awful Irish, but they will still lose. Torres on form I can see 3-1. I still remember that Sweden-Denmark fiasco, pretty cheap if they intended for a 2-2, but was still Italy's fault to be in that position after 2 games.

I never understood why UEFA didn't investigate that 2-2 draw, if memory serves me rightly there was a dodgy penalty and the score was 2-1 going into the last 2 minutes only for Sorenson to drop a regulation cross. Very iffy.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down