The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trapattoni

+8
mystiroakey
whocares
Thomond
Ent
Good Golly I'm Olly
Gordy
eirebilly
marty2086
12 posters

Go down

Trapattoni Empty Trapattoni

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

Is it time for Trapattoni to walk away? For me hes either lost the plot or has just got too big for his boots, while I don't agree with Roy Keanes attack on the fans he is right about the players though I think the manager deserves criticism too.

He brought James McClean to the tournament and has refused to play him except for 10mins when they were 3-0 down, the boy is a bundle of energy and has no fear yet McGeady plays ahead of him a player who is all style and no substance and gives the ball away all too much. He says he doesnt want the pressure to destroy a young player but surely its the managers job to manage the expectation?

Trap has got results but he hasnt kicked on from it in this tournament, he sends teams out not to concede yet they have early on in their 2 games so far. He persists with Andrews and Whelan and brought on Green against Spain instead of Gibson?

He talks about staying loyal to the players who got Ireland to the tournament but if there are better players there surely they have to go? Its a results business and considering many fans used their last pennies to go and watch they surely deserve better?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Trapattoni Empty Re: Trapattoni

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

I think that its time he moved on. He has done a great job but its time for another manager to take up the fight and try and get the younger players in to the team.

Thank him very much for what he has done though.

Roy Keane really annoys me, Captain hindsight at his best. If he feels so strongly why doesnt he throw his hat in for coaching Ireland?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

I think hes criticised that many of the players they wouldnt play for him and he doesnt have many friends in the FAI either, he made some good points the players attitudes were wrong but the fans have a right to enjoy the experience considering the money they spent. The problem maybe is more systemic than anything

Ive never been a fan of Trapattonis tactics theres no doubting hes a good manager but hes not taking the team forward, like Brian Kerr before hes done well but too cautious

Question is though who would replace him?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:01 am

Blaming the coach seems to be an Irish trait. Its the same with rugby. The real question for me is how did Trappattoni (a proven great manager) manage to get such an average bunch to the tournament in the first place? They were easily the worst side in the competition.

Mick McCarthy is available by the way, but I guess seeing as he got Ireland to the world cup that should rule him out!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

How Trapattoni ignored Wes Hoolahan for this squad I will never know. Not saying he should of started, but you should of taken him to give you a an option to change it up.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

I am not blaming the coach at all. I think that he has done a tremendous job to get Ireland to the tournement. Massive achievement considering the lack of talent Ireland have at their disposal. I just think that at 72, he is too old and Ireland should look for someone younger to help with the squad.

I would like to see Roy Keane as manager, dont like the guy but he has the proper attitude to sort the Irish team out.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

billy Keane would give them the kick up the backside they need but after all hes said about many of them can you see it ending well?

Gordy he did well getting them there considering the limitations but like Olly said guys like Hoolahan deserved to go but because he wasnt involved in qualifying he wasnt there and Id have preferred him to McGeady who is the most infuriating player Ive ever seen and in a defensive team cant defend tackle or hold on to the ball

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

If they want to represent Ireland then they will play for him. My only concern about Keane being Ireland manager is that how long would it be before he walked away from the job.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

Think it is harsh to blame Trapattoni. He was robbed out of World Cup place and also got Ireland to the Euro's. For me he has well over achieved given that most of his star players are over 30.

I agree some of his decision making is bizarre. The Andy Reid saga was strange. He has got Ireland playing like a team again and that good work should be overlooked because of the war of words with Keane.

I agree it is time for him to step aside, but I for the life of me can't see anyone out there that could get the same results as he has achieved.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

eirebilly wrote:If they want to represent Ireland then they will play for him. My only concern about Keane being Ireland manager is that how long would it be before he walked away from the job.

He won't take it in a million years as he wouldn't get the level of professionalism he requires.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:33 am

Trappatoni has a squad of guys who are limited in ability. Ireland aren't a great side over all. We had the potential to be a side like Greece if we played the style we did under Trap. We have shown under Trap an ability to knock it around. The game in Paris and at home to Russia being two incidents. Ireland do lack talent, so I wouldn't blame him a lot for that. My biggest gripe with him is despite the fact we have limited talent, he has ignored guys who have it in favour of players who are simply shocking.

Under Trap, we have made little mistakes. It's one of the reasosn we have been relatively successful. In this Championship, 3 of Spain's goals, and 1 of Coratia's came from our mistakes. Trap is shifting some blame on the players saying they are a bit lost in the headlights and not believing in the tactics. Is that not partially his fault? He lacks an ability to change things in game and he makes a lot of strange choices. I don't know if the players have lost faith in what he was selling, at times they didn't look happy with our tactics

How he has not played McCarthy (until recently), Coleman (mystifying), Clark, Hoolahan, Pilkington (might be a stretch). In thext few years there is some decent talent comign through, most of the guys I've mentioned above. There's John Egan, Anthony Forde, Samir Carruthers, Michae l Keane, Robbie Brady, Dave Meyler in England. There are quite a few talented guys in the LOI who could end up making the move across the pond in the next few years. I speak of Kalen Spillane and Daryl Horgan at Cork City. The McEleney brothers in Derry City. Conor Powell with Shamrock Rovers. I know Cork City have a very promising U-19 team too, and some have been involved with the Irish Underage set up. There's Martin at Watford, George at Celtic. There is some talent there. There's Stephen Ireland too but that remains a mystery

I don't know if Trap is the guy to bring us forward but will he be there for WC qualification? You bet your ass he will. He has a contract until after the Qualification and the FAI are too busy repaying for Lansdowne. They have no interest in the LOI or looking for a new manager.

Nice to see you on the football boards Billy OK

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:36 am

Thomond if you are going on form this season then Pilkington > Hunt everyday of the week. Pilks was immense for us last season, and my feelings about Hoolahan are well known. How you can leave out one of your best technical players I don't know
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:38 am

Hunt is one of the guys you bash your head against a wall when you hear he is in. I don't want him near the team, I don't know if Pilks is good enough either though. We missed one of our best technical players in Fahey too. He is a great player.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:39 am

Thomond Michael Keane has went back to representing England last I heard with his brother which is disappointing as he has some real potential

Is there any sign of some investment in proper facilities to develop young players?
I know the IFA have said they are going to be doing it so are they planning on just pinching all the players from there?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

Thomond wrote:Hunt is one of the guys you bash your head against a wall when you hear he is in. I don't want him near the team, I don't know if Pilks is good enough either though. We missed one of our best technical players in Fahey too. He is a great player.

Well Pilks scored I think 8 goals this past season, and considering he missed a chunk from December to February (i think) that is a good return. He caused many good RB's in the Prem problems, one that springs to mind is Kyle Walker. Pilks tore him apart at White Hart Lane
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

marty2086 wrote:Thomond Michael Keane has went back to representing England last I heard with his brother which is disappointing as he has some real potential

Is there any sign of some investment in proper facilities to develop young players?
I know the IFA have said they are going to be doing it so are they planning on just pinching all the players from there?

You're being a bit harsh on that one. The FAI won't put serious investment in anything until they are down paying off Lansdowne Road. I don't recall any plans of a youth facilities, maybe something in Abbotstown but I'm a bit vague on that one. Yep Michael has deferred back to the dark side. Shame really. Also forgot Conor Clifford at Chelsea, great talent there's another Irish lad at Chelsea too but I foget his name. Carel Tiofack, was also looing godo at one stage but he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

I spoke only in jest about pinching players since up here theres alot of whinging about it

Itd be a shame if they were left behind even the IFA in going forward, only the money thats come in from the different tournaments over the years where exactly has it been spent?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Well John Delaney earns 400 grand a year so I'd suspect some of it is going to that!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:59 pm

The massive disconnect - Ireland compete in Euros, world praises Irish support. At home, Monaghan United fold due to lack of support.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

not sure if you'd like that but Domenech recently said in an interview :
My dream? to replace Trapattoni as head coash of Ireland team. I love their mentality. Wether they lose or win, they are drunk and party...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

That sounds more like the Sven ideal

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

could sven have done more than 3 quarters??

Trappattoni needs to go anyway. No disrespect to ireland but when you have a team full of grinders(no stars) i dont see the point in getting a forign coach

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 18 Jun 2012, 1:57 pm

mystiroakey wrote:could sven have done more than 3 quarters??

Trappattoni needs to go anyway. No disrespect to ireland but when you have a team full of grinders(no stars) i dont see the point in getting a forign coach

He did the job didn't he, just missed out on world cup and got us to the euros - massively improved our ranking and therefore our seeding for the next qualifying campaign.

He gets a lot of stick in the media etc but we've had our best run in 10 years with vastly inferior players to our previous successful qualifying campaigns.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

Ent wrote:

He did the job didn't he, just missed out on world cup and got us to the euros - massively improved our ranking and therefore our seeding for the next qualifying campaign.

He gets a lot of stick in the media etc but we've had our best run in 10 years with vastly inferior players to our previous successful qualifying campaigns.

Theres no point getting there if you blow it while your there its a results business and he hasnt got them when it mattered

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

eirebilly wrote:I think that its time he moved on. He has done a great job but its time for another manager to take up the fight and try and get the younger players in to the team.

Roy Keane really annoys me, Captain hindsight at his best. If he feels so strongly why doesnt he throw his hat in for coaching Ireland?

FAI is just like the English FA they won't have big personalities running the show.

Croatia are not a bad side but they have much the same players as they had when they got battered by England 5-1.

Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane were past their sell by date 2 years ago.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

Dunne put in some stellar performances during qualifying. He put in one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen in Moscow. Keane grabs goals but he gets a lot of chances I think we should have moved on. I think Keane might retire anyway. Dunne could still be useful but I would like to see us move on.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:00 pm

Dunne put in some stellar performances during qualifying. He put in one of the best defensive performances I have ever seen in Moscow.
I know he's good at defense. These days defenders are expected to make some attacking moves and thread nice balls through the middle. He's very limited.

Shane Long should have been first choice over Robbie and Kevin Doyle he's got a lot more talent than Doyle.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Doyle is a good player for waht he does. I have been watching both for 8 years now (both played for my local team Cork City) Doyler has the ability to be a goalscorer but he is effective as a targetman, he made up for a lot of Robbie's deficiencies in qualifying. Dunne isn't great on the ball, there are some defenders who aren't. The fact that Ireland don't play the style you describe is one of the reasons he doesn't use the ball effectively.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

The only real difference between Ireland and England is that Walcott came on and instantly changed the game against Sweden. That match looked distantly out of favour until Theo came on. Both countries lack quality attacking midfielders, filled with turgid "anchormen" that can't do anything else besides sitting back and committing fouls. Run
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

I dont think a single Irish player would get into the English team. In fact most would struggle to get into an English B side.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

The starting team probably not. The squad, I would say a few would. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand though Gordy. When you leave out some pretty solid players you're only hurting yourself though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Thomond wrote:The starting team probably not. The squad, I would say a few would. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand though Gordy. When you leave out some pretty solid players you're only hurting yourself though.

My point was in referance to the suggestion was that the diference between Ireland and England was Theo Walcott coming on. But you are right, I should have used the quote function.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

Fair enough, apologies.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

Thomond wrote:Fair enough, apologies.

Not a problem, no need to apologize.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Irelands most creative players are laying on beaches this summer with the exception of McClean and hes getting splinters

Hoolahan would have been great coming off the bench, Reid maybe not what he was but maybe a bit more control in midfield and Stephen Ireland is still acting like a 12year old who got told off

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 18 Jun 2012, 3:49 pm

I don't know if Trap wanted Ireland back, they held talks a while back from what I remember and Trap annoyed Ireland or something.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Thomond wrote:I don't know if Trap wanted Ireland back, they held talks a while back from what I remember and Trap annoyed Ireland or something.

He gets annoyed if you dont pucker up for him it is all very petulant he acted wrongly in tragic circumstances why its still dragging on is beyond me but my point is there are creative players who could be utilised and instead they are elsewhere maybe he would have stayed away maybe not but they need someone to give them a spark

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 18 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Ent wrote:

Theres no point getting there if you blow it while your there its a results business and he hasnt got them when it mattered

But he did, we needed to make a tournament for revenue and to attract people to the sport.

Ireland is a small country with a huge amateur GAA community (both football and hurling) they currently boast a very good international rugby side and the best club side in europe, football will always have players trickling through but you would be amazed how a run in a tournament affects participation at youth level.

Trapp has done very well for Ireland and earnt the right to pick the side he wanted.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 18 Jun 2012, 7:09 pm

Samir Carruthers is a decent talent. Came on as a sub a few times towards the end of the season for Villa.

Ciaran Clarke good to.

Michael Drennan isnt a bad player, scores a few goals in the reserve league.

Hope to see him at some stage next season.

Daniel Devine
Derrick Williams
Graham Burke

To name a few young Irish players at Villa.

Some get a good run out on the reservs.
Hope to see them make a few first team appearences in the near future.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:I think that its time he moved on. He has done a great job but its time for another manager to take up the fight and try and get the younger players in to the team.

Roy Keane is a smouldering, seething mass of resentment against anybody who doesn't come up to the standards he sets, but has yet to achieve in management.

Trapp O'Tony's record in football over many years speaks for itself and it's doubtful that any other manager could have done better with the players at his disposal in this tournament. Every man Jack of them showed intensity, desire and commitment, but as noble as that is, it isn't enough without a certain level of skill... and it's sad to say, but simply, they don't have it. I don't think any combination of players in any positions would have made much difference. Perhaps another goal scored along the way.... possibly two.... but it wouldn't have altered the overall outcome, in my opinion.

It's OK for RK to talk about replacing the players, but who is the manager supposed to replace them with..? The last time I looked.... and I mean this with no disrespect... ROI aren't exactly flush with world beaters, are they..?

It's easy for RK to sit in the studio and talk about who should play in what position and who would do better where, but he's not exactly a front runner for the job himself, is he..? If he is as good as his number one fan (that'd be himself) thinks he is, then why isn't he in the dug out, making the big calls...?

I don't think Trappatoni was being arrogant when he responded to Keane's criticisms.... if anything, the bloke has a right of reply, and to allude to Keane's own - not insignficant - shortcomings as a coach and manager is not unreasonable in this instance, given the strength of RK's comments.

If Trappatoni moves on, then I think he should be allowed to leave with dignity and the good wishes of the FAI and the Irish footballing public for what he has achieved. I'm sure he will get that. As for Roy Keane.... well, he can sit by his phone.

But I'd be surprised if it rang.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:55 pm

" Every man Jack of them showed intensity, desire and commitment""

sadly it didnt actually look like any off them did!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:17 am

I think he might walk himself. Can't imagine he has much interest in bringing through a new generation at this point in his career.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:37 am

Ent wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Ent wrote:

But he did, we needed to make a tournament for revenue and to attract people to the sport.

Ireland is a small country with a huge amateur GAA community (both football and hurling) they currently boast a very good international rugby side and the best club side in europe, football will always have players trickling through but you would be amazed how a run in a tournament affects participation at youth level.

Trapp has done very well for Ireland and earnt the right to pick the side he wanted.

No a good performance attracts people not what we saw from this team, Euro 88 Italia 90 USA 94 and 2002 saw the Irish team taking on the best in the world and standing tall against them and inspired generations but 2012 will turn them away

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 19 Jun 2012, 10:40 am

Jennifer1984 wrote:

Roy Keane is a smouldering, seething mass of resentment against anybody who doesn't come up to the standards he sets, but has yet to achieve in management.

Trapp O'Tony's record in football over many years speaks for itself and it's doubtful that any other manager could have done better with the players at his disposal in this tournament. Every man Jack of them showed intensity, desire and commitment, but as noble as that is, it isn't enough without a certain level of skill... and it's sad to say, but simply, they don't have it. I don't think any combination of players in any positions would have made much difference. Perhaps another goal scored along the way.... possibly two.... but it wouldn't have altered the overall outcome, in my opinion.

It's OK for RK to talk about replacing the players, but who is the manager supposed to replace them with..? The last time I looked.... and I mean this with no disrespect... ROI aren't exactly flush with world beaters, are they..?

It's easy for RK to sit in the studio and talk about who should play in what position and who would do better where, but he's not exactly a front runner for the job himself, is he..? If he is as good as his number one fan (that'd be himself) thinks he is, then why isn't he in the dug out, making the big calls...?

I don't think Trappatoni was being arrogant when he responded to Keane's criticisms.... if anything, the bloke has a right of reply, and to allude to Keane's own - not insignficant - shortcomings as a coach and manager is not unreasonable in this instance, given the strength of RK's comments.

If Trappatoni moves on, then I think he should be allowed to leave with dignity and the good wishes of the FAI and the Irish footballing public for what he has achieved. I'm sure he will get that. As for Roy Keane.... well, he can sit by his phone.

Keane questioned the mentality of the players and rightly so while a lot of what he says is too far is it too much to ask that competing isnt enough and failure shouldnt be celebrated? Hes a competitor and at ManUtd it was celebrated but in with Ireland its frowned upon maybe that says it all

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 19 Jun 2012, 11:30 am

The Irish have a weird complex in footy. Seem to hate the thought of having success, they were so happy finishing with 0 points and a solitary 1 goal, just think what would happen if they made the next round!

billy, Roy never said he would do better than Trappatoni. Don't be so bitter.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 19 Jun 2012, 12:36 pm

I dont think any Irish fan was happy with 0 points an 1 goal scored.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 5:02 am

marty2086 wrote:
Jennifer1984 wrote:

Keane questioned the mentality of the players and rightly so while a lot of what he says is too far is it too much to ask that competing isnt enough and failure shouldnt be celebrated? Hes a competitor and at ManUtd it was celebrated but in with Ireland its frowned upon maybe that says it all

Ireland are not Manchester United. Thank goodness for that.

No amount of trophies would be worth that.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 8:57 am

Jennifer1984 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Jennifer1984 wrote:

Ireland are not Manchester United. Thank goodness for that.

No amount of trophies would be worth that.

And what exactly are wrong with ManUtd?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 9:04 am

On a side note the Irish team are going to be at Dublin Airport today theyre there to welcome back the fans

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 20 Jun 2012, 11:09 am

I wouldn't mind if Ireland were like United. It would get rid of the give it a lash" mentality for one thing.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum