The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xavi or Scholes?

+24
Prettybhoyfloyd
dublfcynwa
compelling and rich
Trebs
JabMachineMK2
lorus59
two_tone
Stella
Josiah Maiestas
marty2086
dummy_half
Ent
Crimey
ShankyCricket
GG
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Leff
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Diggers
Gregers
GSC
The Special Juan
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Xavi or Scholes? - Page 3 Empty Xavi or Scholes?

Post by The Special Juan Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple question: Who is the better midfield controller and passer: Paul Scholes or Xavi? (Seeing as this was a debate waiting to happen on another Euro topic).

I'd have to say Scholes (I'm a little bit biased in favour of him) because his long passing is excellent. Maybe Xavi can pass it long but he rarely does that.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Xavi or Scholes? - Page 3 Empty Re: Xavi or Scholes?

Post by Stella Mon 25 Jun 2012, 8:08 pm

Zidane was on a different level to Scholes. Only Platini comes close imo.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:00 am

Zidane is among the top ten footballers of all-time.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:11 am

I don't think Scholes and Zidane should even be compared because they played different roles.

Xavi, Scholes, Pirlo, Rui Costa, Deco, etc are midfield playmakers or midfield generals, or 'regista' as some say.

Zidane was an attacking midfielder like Bobby Charlton, Platini, Socrates, Zico, Maradona, Stojkovic, and more recently Kaka and Iniesta.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:30 am

for those saying schols never dd it for england either never saw him play or totally under estimated him. he was clearly england best midfielder out performing gerrard and lampard. but yet again the england team wanted a team full of high profile players and chucked in a midfield that would never work, watch the euro 2004 game gainst croatia where every one was going on about rooney. watch it and you will clearly see its scholes pulling the strings and gets us back into that game. simply some england fans couldnt appreiate what they were seeing, they would prefer beckham and gerrard playing the glory 50 yard balls all the time that come off 50% of the time! plenty more examples of this and no coicidence that england went alot poorer after scholes left

as to the xavi v scholes, both fantastic players, but really feel that scholes was the better all round player. you only have to look at there early careers to see this, scholes was fantastic from a early age. xavi late bloomed and only came into his own when barca started playing a style that suited him alot more. if this question was asked around early 2000's every man and his dog would have said scholes becuase xavi had only just broke into the team and only really hit top form untill this current great team and his partner inestia came along to help him out. the best thing about barca is these two together as a partnership and inestia has helped out xavi no end

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

as to the xavi v scholes, both fantastic players, but really feel that scholes was the better all round player

--------------------------------

lol hmmm
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:33 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
as to the xavi v scholes, both fantastic players, but really feel that scholes was the better all round player

--------------------------------

lol hmmm

im not arguing that im biased funnily enough scholes went same school as me (bit older though), but you could also argue that i have seen more of scholes than any of you so therefore have more of a formed opinion

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

Scholes was never fit to lace Xavis boots at any stage of his career. Another overrated English bottler.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

dublfcynwa wrote:Scholes was never fit to lace Xavis boots at any stage of his career. Another overrated English bottler.

now there is a biased opinion if ever saw one, also extremely stupid opinion aswell

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Prettybhoyfloyd Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

Xavi for me.

Both fantastic players, but can't recall too many players who can control games the way Xavi does consistently for Barcelona. Everything goes through him and he just seems to stroll through games making everything he does seem effortless.

Prettybhoyfloyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:38 am

Xavi's desire to run the game is what makes him better, Scholes has plenty of talent but one thing he rarely does is pass and move, so his stats are nowhere near as good as Xavi's. I'm hoping Pirlo can fire Italy to the final so we can see how he gets on vs Xavi, will be breathtaking. Afterall we've seen plenty of Ozil vs Xavi, something new is needed.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:52 am

Seedorf or Scholes?

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

GG you have a good point. Seedorf and Nedved were two brilliant midfield players in my opinion.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Never been really fussed over Seedorf as a player, but you can't argue with his success. Comes across very good as a pundit aswell.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:45 pm

Steffan Effenberg is rarely mentioned when discussing 'the great' midfielders but he was a superb player.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:53 pm

Effenberg was quality, as was Matthaus. Davids is another one to throw into the mix.
I rate Scholes but to be honest there is barely a player mentioned on this thread who I dont think was better than him. Actually I was never that great a Nedved fan, so maybe him. Id have to say that Keane was a better player than Scholes so he wasnt even the best at his club for a fair bit of his career.
Just shows what a lot of good players there have been in the past 15 years or so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:59 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
dublfcynwa wrote:Scholes was never fit to lace Xavis boots at any stage of his career. Another overrated English bottler.

now there is a biased opinion if ever saw one, also extremely stupid opinion aswell

Well its my opinion and most other peoples opinion outside Manchester. Anyone who thinks Scholes or any other English midfielder of the last 30 years is anywhere near the level of Xavi should not be allowed to comment on anything to do with football.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:03 pm

Diggers wrote:Effenberg was quality, as was Matthaus. Davids is another one to throw into the mix.
I rate Scholes but to be honest there is barely a player mentioned on this thread who I dont think was better than him. Actually I was never that great a Nedved fan, so maybe him. Id have to say that Keane was a better player than Scholes so he wasnt even the best at his club for a fair bit of his career.
Just shows what a lot of good players there have been in the past 15 years or so.

Keane and Scholes complemented each other well, when Scholesy use to get forward more.
Truth is, there are a number of CM's who are about equal. Difficult to separate Effenberg, Gerrard, Scholes, Seedorf and a few others.
Zidane and Rivaldo stand out from this era, although Rivaldo wasn't your typical CM.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

I think with Scholes I can't remember a big defining match for him. A big game where you looked back and said , strewth he was the big difference , he really dragged his side to that win.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:16 pm

Scholes is one of the few footballers worth admiring due to his low key private life. I also think it's true he never had an agent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

Oh forgot about Effenberg. He was a superb player too, I'd probably put him on par with Scholes.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

Scholes was never a drag the game by the scruff of the neck type of player like Gerrard but he was or is very meticulous.

I thought Veron was terrific for a couple of years but his days in England were tbh pretty ordinary.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:27 pm

Ballack as well, for a while he was the complete midfielder and dragged the German side to decent finishes. He would just boss games, fantastic player.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:30 pm

Diggers wrote:Ballack as well, for a while he was the complete midfielder and dragged the German side to decent finishes. He would just boss games, fantastic player.

Scored plenty from midfield didn't he.

Kaka?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 26 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

Gheorge Hagi scored a good few goals.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:25 pm

Who do you rate as the best attacking midfielder?

Bobby Charlton, Platini, Zidane, Socrates, Zico, Maradona, Stojkovic, Kaka, Iniesta....

Maradona had the best hands, Zidane had the most powerful skull, and Platini the most skillful legs. That's just my opinion. Cool

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

zidane.. but probally gaza if truth be told thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:48 pm

Zidane is easily the best I've seen.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:57 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:

Well its my opinion and most other peoples opinion outside Manchester. Anyone who thinks Scholes or any other English midfielder of the last 30 years is anywhere near the level of Xavi should not be allowed to comment on anything to do with football.

I'll tell zidane to shut it next time he pipes up then shall I? He's not allowed to talk football because he disagrees with a deluded bitter liverpool fan

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Xavi's desire to run the game is what makes him better, Scholes has plenty of talent but one thing he rarely does is pass and move, so his stats are nowhere near as good as Xavi's. I'm hoping Pirlo can fire Italy to the final so we can see how he gets on vs Xavi, will be breathtaking. Afterall we've seen plenty of Ozil vs Xavi, something new is needed.

OH MY GOOD GOD!!!

Stop taking potshots and actually watch Scholes play he may not move as much as he used to but he still moves and looks for the ball come back in 8 years and see if Xavi is still doing that

One other point Scholes broke into the Utd as a striker when Cantona was suspended and actually did well in the role

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Josiah Maiestas wrote:Xavi's desire to run the game is what makes him better, Scholes has plenty of talent but one thing he rarely does is pass and move, so his stats are nowhere near as good as Xavi's. I'm hoping Pirlo can fire Italy to the final so we can see how he gets on vs Xavi, will be breathtaking. Afterall we've seen plenty of Ozil vs Xavi, something new is needed.

OH MY GOOD GOD!!!

Stop taking potshots and actually watch Scholes play he may not move as much as he used to but he still moves and looks for the ball come back in 8 years and see if Xavi is still doing that

One other point Scholes broke into the Utd as a striker when Cantona was suspended and actually did well in the role

He did, which makes me wonder why he and Van Nistlerooy didn't hot it off when Scholes was given a free role behind Van in 2002.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

I didn't/don't think Scholes was any better than David Platt. Top league players but no better than average in international terms.

Both brilliant when the team is doing well but disappear somewhat when the team is being over-run.

Scholes seems to be talked about more highly now that his career is nearing an end in much the same way Gary McAllister, Gordon Cowans, Gordon Strachan and even Dion Dublin were once they became elder statesmen. Almost as they are beyond reproach once they pass thirty.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

Scholes has been talked up for years now?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

Hibbz wrote:I didn't/don't think Scholes was any better than David Platt. Top league players but no better than average in international terms.

Both brilliant when the team is doing well but disappear somewhat when the team is being over-run.

Scholes seems to be talked about more highly now that his career is nearing an end in much the same way Gary McAllister, Gordon Cowans, Gordon Strachan and even Dion Dublin were once they became elder statesmen. Almost as they are beyond reproach once they pass thirty.

Scholes has been idolised by most Utd fans for 20 years and David Platt was better than most in England give him credit for, Scholes was a huge loss in the 99 Champions League final and was around the time he really peaked his performance in touranments for England was always amoungst the best but he wasnt a headline grabber like Owen Beckham or Rooney

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Platty's record for England was magnificent. And that goal against Belgium clap
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

Platt didnt really do much apart from score, it was like playing a striker in midfield. Not in Scholes league for me but he did have a lot of bottle.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 01 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

Xavi after a relatively quiet tournament showed in the final why he is on another planet to Scholes.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:02 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Xavi after a relatively quiet tournament showed in the final why he is on another planet to Scholes.

That pass to Alba was out of the world.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:04 am

Xavi, Scholes no bum though. But if Barcelona or Spain didn't have Xavi, I don't think they would be as good.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 02 Jul 2012, 7:51 am

Either way - what a performance last night from Xavi.
I'm in awe.
Scholes was one of the driving forces behind the greatest team in Premier League history.
Xavi can surely now be considered one of the driving forces of the greatest team in history - period! (If this wasn't already true before?). The TWO greatest teams in fact!

We'll tell our grandkids about Xavi and Iniesta, and say "they don't make them like that anymore"

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Xavi after a relatively quiet tournament showed in the final why he is on another planet to Scholes.

Thats a bit of a stupid comment so he does nothing for 5 games and after one good game hes better than Scholes? So if Scholes has a great game next season will he be just as good?

Personally I think they are just as good as each other always said that so think its a bit unfair to say ones better than the other espicially based on one game

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 02 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

Leff wrote:

alba for me has been the player of the tournemnent, part of the best defence in the tourny and also spains biggest attacking threat for most games. gave them great width all the time

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 02 Jul 2012, 9:48 am

Xavi and Iniesta were magnificent last night. TBH, they are unarguably two of Spain's best ever players.

Agree about Alba. Took his goal like a CF after a run that Bolt would have been proud of.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

dublfcynwa wrote:

I'll tell zidane to shut it next time he pipes up then shall I? He's not allowed to talk football because he disagrees with a deluded bitter liverpool fan

Laugh Oh the irony. You have the brass neck to call someone else deluded when you think Paul Scholes is better than Xavi, what will you be telling us next that Wayne Rooney is world class........ Laugh
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:39 am

As I said, you'd have to say Xavi's a better distributor while Scholes was better going forward in his prime.

Both 2 great players though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

Stella wrote:Xavi and Iniesta were magnificent last night. TBH, they are unarguably two of Spain's best ever players.

This Xavi or Scholes? - Page 3 3559488474 What i will say is before Iniesta got in the Barcelona side no one really commented about Xavi whilst Scholes has been doing to for a long time. It suggests that Iniesta is pulling Xavi up with him and making him look alot better although he's a quality pass and their both always 5 yards from each other

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

I think it's too difficult to compare Xavi and Scholes as their roles in their sides are different.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:49 am

Scholes and Pirlo would perhaps be a better comparison.

This is the Scholes of recent years not the one that use to get forward more.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

Stella wrote:Scholes and Pirlo would perhaps be a better comparison.

This is the Scholes of recent years not the one that use to get forward more.

Yeah I agree.

They're aren't many players that do the job that Xavi does to be honest.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:14 pm

Leff wrote:

alba for me has been the player of the tournemnent, part of the best defence in the tourny and also spains biggest attacking threat for most games. gave them great width all the time

Agree. Alba may be considered as the player of the tournament. Barca management must be feeling ecstatic for signing him.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3