The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ coaching set up

3 posters

Go down

NZ coaching set up Empty NZ coaching set up

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:17 am

Well the 3 match series against Ireland ends up being a 3 - 0 blackwash. Many Welsh posters reminded us that they don't have fond memories of Hansen as a coach. Henry was a mixed bag for them too, as indeed Gatland has been. I agree that Wales' performances under all three were sketchy at different times and their time at Wales helped them become more rounded coaches. But it wasn't just Wales posters forecasting doom. Many Kiwis were not happy with his appointment either nor with coaches like Ian Foster.

After the narrowest of escapes last week, it seemed a good response tonight. I don't think we can read too much into tonight's performance, as Ireland got behind early and seemed to throw in the towel, but after injuries to Jane, Kahui, Carter, Cruden, Read and the absence of Thorn and Kaino and the unavailability of Nonu, you wouldn't say that it was a matter of picking things up from where they were left off last October.

So kudos to the selection of the team. A lot of young faces out there and Aaron Smith for me has been probably the most consistent and standout player over the series for the ABs. They showed faith in SBW and didn't panic and gave Nonu a much needed rest. There were doubts about the back row and they introduced the young Sam Cane and he repaid the faith placed in him.

I guess my point is it's very easy to criticise. We will probably know more about this coaching set up in the 4N. But for the moment, you have to applaud what they did, notably with selections, and to get a 3 - 0 result against Ireland first up in the rugby calendar is a great result. Things can change quickly and I got the impression that Hansen wanted the Irish to give him another run for his money tonight as you learn more from those types of matches.

So for the moment I think it needs to be said well done to Hansen and co and they seem to be on the right track. clap kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

NZ coaching set up Empty Re: NZ coaching set up

Post by SecretFly Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:24 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
After the narrowest of escapes last week, it seemed a good response tonight. I don't think we can read too much into tonight's performance, as Ireland got behind early and seemed to throw in the towel, but after injuries to Jane, Kahui, Carter, Cruden, Read and the absence of Thorn and Kaino and the unavailability of Nonu, you wouldn't say that it was a matter of picking things up from where they were left off last October.

So kudos to the selection of the team. A lot of young faces out there and Aaron Smith for me has been probably the most consistent and standout player over the series for the ABs. They showed faith in SBW and didn't panic and gave Nonu a much needed rest. There were doubts about the back row and they introduced the young Sam Cane and he repaid the faith placed in him.

I guess my point is it's very easy to criticise. We will probably know more about this coaching set up in the 4N. But for the moment, you have to applaud what they did, notably with selections, and to get a 3 - 0 result against Ireland first up in the rugby calendar is a great result. Things can change quickly and I got the impression that Hansen wanted the Irish to give him another run for his money tonight as you learn more from those types of matches.

So for the moment I think it needs to be said well done to Hansen and co and they seem to be on the right track. clap kia kaha

Now if you were Irish, you'd blame all that uplift of form, intent, abilty and ruthlessness on the players and not include the coach in the discussion. I'm glad a Kiwi (who possess the most players least likely to need one!) still believes in the idea of a team benefitting from good coaches, I hope the idea catches on in Ireland sometime soon.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:26 am

I hope so too mate. That said, I hope Kidney doesn't get all the blame for today's performance. It works both ways. Look at the performance of McCaw last week and this week for example. That's not down to the coach. That's owning up to the fact your standards slipped.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:50 am

Oh I know players must perform but they have to be given tools that give them the confidence to do so. Just look at the AB coaches in the first test and their backs coach getting the plaudits (pats on the back) when his side turned on the style. A coach does matter.

To be true, I think it was the Irish players who fought back (mentally) last week from the drubbing they got the first week. They just showed up with courage and the intention of being counted - they weren't given any of those tools by our coaches, who gave them as little in truly tactical terms last week as they gave them this week.

My point is that these poor players need help from their coaches, they need a better blueprint to attach their unquestioned courage to. They're wilting mentally under the strain of having nothing in tactical terms to work with.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 am

Good call, I was one of the many that was uncertain how the new coaching regime would go, but I'd have to say its exceeded my expectations.

Usually we don't start the season well but games 1 and 3 were clinically executed. They started on the right foot with squad selections, and then like you said, didn't panic after last week and kept their cool with selections and more importantly an expansive game plan. 8/10 for the coaches clap

Marks dropped for pulling Smith in each game and for Hansen for drinking a bottle of whiskey before each interview. The man has got the mumble down pat.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am

fair play to the youngsters today from NZ, really stepped up.
Sam Cane was standout for me, shame cruden went off injured as he looked very silky. but then his replacement didnt do a bad job either!
also thought messam did a solid job and was making good tackles and being a good hard 6. not the finished article but if he develops he could be another Kaino.

As a welshman it is so frustrating seeing the talent NZ have.

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down