The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

+21
kiakahaaotearoa
AlastairW
Breadvan
emack2
Pal Joey
aucklandlaurie
Jenifer McLadyboy
disneychilly
Full Credit
Biltong
nganboy
gowales
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
anotherworldofpain
Zander
Taylorman
chewed_mintie
LondonTiger
rodders
blackcanelion
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league - Page 2 Empty Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by blackcanelion Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently it's been leaked to the Australian media. He's signed a contract with the NSW league club, the South Sydney Rabbitos. He's also supposed allowed to play rugby in Japan and have time out for boxing. Oh well it's back to Nonu at center.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league - Page 2 Empty Re: Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by Breadvan Wed 27 Jun 2012, 6:26 am

biltongbek wrote:You play cricket?

Never noticed that before. Whistle

Jesse Ryder could take SBW under his wing for the NZ cricket team?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league - Page 2 Empty Re: Sonny Bill Williams off to rugby league

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jul 2012, 4:52 am

More of the same really.

Doubt he'll provide any insight in to what he'll be doing in 2014.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10818158

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:13 am

just confirmed he will be leaving New Zealand rugby at the end of the super xv competition to go to Panasonic, at this stage he is estimated to earn $2 mill over the next two years out of the Panasonic deal and boxing.
He has not signed anything with any NRL clubs however he has a verbal agreement with one NRL club for 2013.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:33 am

Nothing new then following the money,forget him develop new players move on.Nonu is a better all round bet just let him loose and develop back ups.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:16 am

After watching the Chiefs lose due him refusing to pass the ball out wide and go for glory i'd say you're better off without him. Develop a team player, not a glory hunter.

I understand he's quite the flamboyant character that will provide talking points at the least, but there's hardly any lack depth anywhere in NZ.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

You'd be forgiven for thinking SBW was a glory seeking show boating selfish player, but the reality was he was actually quite a humble team player. No off field dramas during his stint in NZ (not including the boxing), never bigged himself up, he was professional, put in a good effort, was fine tuning his game. The NZRFU have nothing but praise for him and said they'd have him back in a 'heart beat'. Maybe not the end you'll see of SBW.

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:58 am

I don't understanding the big issue. Some fan like child with toys. He stay for RWC and now go do something else and come back maybe. Why is it make him selfish? He did a lot already for NZ more than some fat couch potatoes sit behind the keyboard!

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

EBOP wrote:You'd be forgiven for thinking SBW was a glory seeking show boating selfish player, but the reality was he was actually quite a humble team player. No off field dramas during his stint in NZ (not including the boxing), never bigged himself up, he was professional, put in a good effort, was fine tuning his game. The NZRFU have nothing but praise for him and said they'd have him back in a 'heart beat'. Maybe not the end you'll see of SBW.

Erm - well, you're the man on the scene down there so i'd be stupid not too take your word on it EBOP. I am genuinley surprised, he always came off as a bit of a one man band. I understand that professional sportsman have to a certain self confidence, but everytime i've seen SBW he's always come across as just a little too brash. Much akin to what a lot of Englishmen are accused of Wink

How's going down with AB fans at home that he's looking for a few years of $$$ before probabley coming home for a RWC?

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:17 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:I don't understanding the big issue. Some fan like child with toys. He stay for RWC and now go do something else and come back maybe. Why is it make him selfish? He did a lot already for NZ more than some fat couch potatoes sit behind the keyboard!
who have got in the ring to fight him. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:19 am

Alastair

Personally I think good on him, he is an extremely talented athlete,I would say one of the most talented athletes currently in World rugby, he also has an ability to command high value from a promotional/marketing perspective,and therfore why shouldnt he go off an make money in any other sport.

yes he has confidence in both himself and his abilities hence hes prepared to sign short term contracts whereas plenty of others would be looking to sign long term deals,When he turned up in ITM two seasons ago, he didnt even know where to stand let alone become a World cup winning AB two seasons later.

Good on him, hes not going to have the talents hes got for many more years.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:28 am

It's a funny one Alastair, he's the kinda guy you want to find fault with because he has this preceding image. We like to cut these tall poppies down if they stick their neck up too high.

But if we see a talented guy giving it a nudge and being humble then they'll be heralded. Reckon SBW won a lot of fans because of his attitude and willingness to fit in and learn. He rarely sought the off field spotlight as far as I could tell (you know the type, nightclubs, glossy mags, etc). He had a few things when he played NRL, but there was none of that in NZ.

The thing with him leaving for $$$ is no real surprise to be honest. We all knew the score with his 'one year deal' thing, which he's been honest about all along. The big surprise I think was that he stayed this year.

Yeah good on him, wish him well.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

Well you lives and learns. thumbsup

There is no denying his ability, his first try was briliant against the Crusaders, but i guess lightning doesn't stike twice for him! Cheers for the insights guys, i'll definatley be looking at him differently from here on in .... for what remains of the season Smile

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:36 am

It should also be pointed out Nonu's refreshing attitude towards SBW as well. In the past, in his days at OC and on the wing, he had a tendency to throw all his toys out of the cot when people replaced him. But particularly on the AI tour in 2010, Nonu took SBW under his wing and supported the guy. To me there is very little difference between Nonu's trip away to Japan or Carter's sabbatical to France and the case of SBW. Certainly Kaino didn't come under nearly as much flak for his decision to secure his financial future and he leaves a bigger gap.

So who knows what the future holds for SBW. But I back up what has been said by laurie and EBOP. It's been fun having him and good luck to him. If he had been paid shedloads and squandered his talent and didn't contribute then sure, like Caucau, he would've come in for a lot of justified criticism. But it's incredible how much he learned in a short space of time and he was always meticulous in his preparation and stayed out of the limelight.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Compare SBW to Gavin Henson and you will see he is just really some dedicated athlete who might maximising his income and rich experiences to his sporting resume and life experience and not some celebrity seeking personality lacking some motivation.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

I reckon Nonu could well have known SBW's plans a while beforehand and that could have kept Ma'a from going.

The league world cup is next year. I think that could also be a carrot for SBW. I haven't been following much league lately but I reckon he'd slot straight in after a few league games. Imagine winning two world cup medals-that's pretty huge. The Japanese league won't be nearly as physical and he can take it easy and prep for a gruelling NRL season. Roosters or Rabbits? Anyone guess?

He's going to love being able to shoulder charge people again!

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:31 am

You mean shoulder charging again and not being yellow carded disney!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

disneychilly wrote:The Japanese league won't be nearly as physical...

Unless he run into Jerome Kaino Erm

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 09 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

Mapasua vs SBW would be a fair old collision in the 12 channel. As would Fourie vs SBW

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

If what I read was correct SBW had already commited himself to a return to league prior to playing for the AllBlacks in the RWC.He honored that commitment.For that he is to be praised at 26 potentially he could have 2 RWCs
with the ABs still.Carl Hayman and Kaino are different cases they played 40 or so tests said enough.The only parallel is Brad Thorn post 2003 RWC no one wanted him he returned to League.Then came home to play Union a great grunt lock but a return to a non jumper at 4 abandoned in the 1970`s.SBW may well wear the shirt again if Hansen has his way.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 09 Jul 2012, 1:22 pm

Disappointed to see him leave as he was just starting to fulfill his potential as a player in Union. He was simply phenomenal in that 3rd test against Ireland.

He may have a RWC winners medal but to me he is only just hitting his stride now.

He could have been one of the best players we've ever seen instead of a bit part AB player with a handful of caps.

I think he may struggle a bit in league after so long away, he'll be a marked man and expectations will be huge but fair play to him for taking up the challenge guinness.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:55 pm

Well we sort of always expected union guys like Gibbs etc to return to their original sport after they fluttered with league. I guess this is just the other way around.

Never set the world on fire. Looked good and think he could have stayed another year or at least starred in a rugby championship winning side but the green is always difficult to turn down.

You'd hope the Japanese adventure doesn't start to set a trend but it does look that way, before it was hasbeen's only... now its guys in the prime of their career.

Not sure how his career will end up however... I'm sure he will return, esp. if his league career doesn't do as well as he'd hoped. I think that was a factor into him moving back to league... it seemed like everyone and perhaps he himself expected him to take the sport by storm.... unfortunately Nonu just didn't read the script.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

Yeah this was expected. We all only get one shot at life and hes filled his youth with more than most people twice over.

Everything ive seen from his return to NZ has been nothing but someone giving his all. Hes actually a shy type off field and shows nothing but respect to anyone hes around.

He'll be back for the next world cup and I never really followed him in league. I will now.
Nonu's ok but there will be others knocking.

Tamati Ellison is my pick for the next few months. Has spot tackle Bunce and Stanley would be proud of.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:30 am

First thing to checkout when the 2013 NRL draw comes out will be the Roosters Bulldogs game, theyll sellout Homebush for that one.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 10 Jul 2012, 1:33 am

I wouldnt be too confident about getting a pay rise if I was playing for the chooks and my contract was up for review at the end of the year.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 10 Jul 2012, 8:07 am

Right so with SBW flying the coop, we've got Nonu and Ellison shaping as our Second Five options. Who else is out there in NZ shaping as the future in that position?

Crotty? Bateman is too small I think but has had a great year with the Canes....anyone else?

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 10 Jul 2012, 8:12 am

My mind today is:

It is already NZRU policy that to be eligible for the all blacks you need to play in NZ for example SXV (not essential SXV I know but give me a minute).

So should they make the other policy in reverse? That say you can't play SXV if you are not eligible for all blacks and would not want to stay for all blacks selection to the combinator?

I dont have the problem with SBW or his mind to go, but is it fair that no other player can be develop in this tournament because he was selection?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jul 2012, 8:22 am

AWoP, don't reckon that would be very fair on the PI players that have been brought up in NZ but have decided to play for their island. Aren't there quotas in place? Think there's enough depth in AB eligible players to have to worry about what you're suggesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:16 am

Taylorman wrote:
He'll be back for the next world cup and I never really followed him in league. I will now.

You're in for a treat then Taylorman. In his youth he was one of the most exciting talents in RL...that's why its a shame he's going as for me he hasn't even come close to peaking in Union, he was just starting to get there.

It will be interesting to see if he can hit the same heights again. He'll be in for some rough house treatment from opposition packs on his return to league I'm sure.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:16 am

But EBOP - how many "want" or "choose" to play for their Island only after failing to get AB selection? I can think only of CauCau and that didn't working out so well.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:18 am

The policy of choosing only players resident in NZ has worked for now... but only works whilst the outgoings of quality players is minimal.

Previously it was never a problem, players stayed until their test career was over, then left to rake up their pension. There was already better players to replace them.

Now however we are starting to see guys in the peak of their careers leave. If enough of them leave it will be very difficult to keep enforcing the rule/policy.

Not saying its a good thing but Japan is a real threat to SH rugby and their current selection policies. Not sure how the 3N sides should approach this, perhaps it would be good to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control by relaxing certain policies.

How much money do these clubs in Japan have and is it sustainable? Are they only signing a few marquee players or are they looking to fill their sides with quality test players?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Tue 10 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

Japan is not such aa threaten. Because quality is low and players only go and get a lot of money for the short time. Also culture is some bit different and can be more hard to adjust for than players go to Europe!

Is actually save NZ from lose players for permanent ways to European clubs because they can go for one year and make what they would earn in 5 years in ENG.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

anotherworldofpain wrote:My mind today is:

It is already NZRU policy that to be eligible for the all blacks you need to play in NZ for example SXV (not essential SXV I know but give me a minute).

So should they make the other policy in reverse? That say you can't play SXV if you are not eligible for all blacks and would not want to stay for all blacks selection to the combinator?

I dont have the problem with SBW or his mind to go, but is it fair that no other player can be develop in this tournament because he was selection?

That policy is already in place to a large extent AWOP. The SXV teams have to pay the wages of any non-NZ qualified players themselves, and those players have to be approved by the NZRU. Hence why most NZ Super teams only have one or two PI players, and they're often back-up/bench players rather than 1st choice starters
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:09 am

Kiwi, I'm pretty certain there is an agreement to play a limited no of PI players as part of a wider regional development. The limited no is due as much to the need to develop NZ talent for the AB's. I'm wondering if this is the reason the Blues didn't chase Conrad Hurrel harder (i read this morning that he went to the Warriors because the Blues weren't interested, which seems surprising given a couple years of league and he is arguably the brightest young thing in the NRL in his debut year)

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:49 am

Blackcan
I too am one of those that saw Hurrel playing for Auckland Grammars Ist xv a couple of years ago, centre. i remember it like it was yesterday, I was watching the game with my son (an ex premier Rugby League player) and we both just watched this Hurrel and said "This kid has got league player written all over him".

The one the NZRU do seem to making a concerted effort for though is Ben Tamiefuna, Who must have some thoughts about playing for Tonga especially with an uncle who is a current a Tongan International.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

rodders wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

You're in for a treat then Taylorman. In his youth he was one of the most exciting talents in RL...that's why its a shame he's going as for me he hasn't even come close to peaking in Union, he was just starting to get there.

It will be interesting to see if he can hit the same heights again. He'll be in for some rough house treatment from opposition packs on his return to league I'm sure.

Yes hes certainly more league than rugby. The NRL is the only thing thats tougher than our own sxv- obvious due to the fact that the only rugby players headingturn there are ex leaguies.taquiri the other. But our under 20s are going in droves the dollars at the age too good to turn down.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 12 Jul 2012, 1:53 am

Money is a big reason, and aggressive scouting. I see that the NZRU is canning some of it's national age group competitions due to financial constraints.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 12 Jul 2012, 2:32 am

AWOP a couple of points,some players chose there native Country first most notably Michael Jones,and I think Frank Bunce.By that I mean for practical purposes Nz born of polynesian ancestry.Many ABs at some level played for Samoa for example[maori,Junior AB.Sevens.Age Group Schools etc.]There was also talk of Tier2 sides being able to play former AB`s in there squads to strengthen them.The rules of residency orSuper qualifications are good only one Super sides has included more than a couple of overseas players in there squads.The rules WORK why change them?those who have gone abroad roughly fall into 3 categories.They have a good number of Caps say 40 up so can command good money overseas.They can`t get game time because some one else is a fixture or they just arn`t good enough or have the patience to improve themselves to the level they are better than the incumbent.Nick Evans was rated as some as better than Dan Carter,he said in effect to the NZ selectors it`s me or him.NZ said bye bye,you don`t hold a gun to an AB selectors head.Some because the season in Japan and NZ overlap have worked out so much time in Japan for cash,then some time for a super franchise to stay qualified for the AB`s.Some Japan contracted players were released to cover S15 injuries notably Delaney with the Highlanders.The rules were there for a purpose.To stop the relative trickle of players going for cash becoming a flood.Stopping Super Franchises being reduced to NH style barbarian squads where you have.For example in the Top 14 in France almost as many nonqualified as qualified players for the national team

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:04 am

Its true you can't hold a gun but neither can the coaches do anything else. Foster was clearly p'd off by Sonny Bills announcement but what can he do.

Even Smith and Rennie held a media song and dance- literally when one of the reporters started singing- about wishing him well etc- it was surreal to be honest-

The rules will work if the AB's remain highly sought after- and by SBW, Ellison, Toeava, Hayman, Evans, Luke M' s etc actions they're quite willing to pay it.

You're correct that if we say we'll select you if you're overseas they'll be off like a shot- who wouldnt- an all expenses paid OE playing rugby and getting selected for the AB's- candy for any aspiring AB.

Its an issue to which Henry only says "we just have to keep trying to do it better'...and what else is there to say but come up with better ways...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 12 Jul 2012, 4:44 am

This is now a professional game,you have maybe a dozen years at the top unless you`re exceptiona.SO,I can understand people doing what is best for myself and my families future.What I don`t agree with is not being up front with it.Also I question the wisdom sometimes of selectors. Luke Macalistair had a tremendous season pre 2007RWC ,BUT had already made his plans known he was away in.2008.If Aron Mauger had not been ignored would he have jumped ship 2008?HE was the best 12 in the World at the time but some could`nt see it.If he had played at 10 in 2009 would he have made a difference?versus France certainly,the Boks possibly even maybe probably.He was as much as DC the brains in the backline.With SBW had HE been considered first choice 12 inthe RWC he may have stayed in Nz .BUT the price would probably have been the loss of another RWC.As I said at the time and early this season was it worth pursuing SBW when he was obviously going to jump ship?As to a S15 Franchise with Overseas Players.Look at the money,and players Toulon have had over about the last 7 or 8 years.THEN look what they achieved in terms of titles and trophies nothing or next too.You want a success story look at what Jamie
Joseph has done with. the Highlanders with minimal resources.Colin Slade in between injuries showed how good he could be,adam Thomson was always a top notch Loosie and so on.The Highlanders relatively speakingover the last 2 years are a revelation.Compare them with the star studdedBlues?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:50 am

Tom Donelly has just announced that hes off to Japan.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:53 am

I think we'll see more and more players choosing Japan instead of Europe. Because of the better structured season and restrictions in the European clubs.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:12 am

Mapusua is getting the same money playing in Japan that he got in England, he just has to play half as many games.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunner Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Mapusua is getting the same money playing in Japan that he got in England, he just has to play half as many games.

Mapusua was poor in Dunedin for years.
So hot and cold.
How London Irish got some mileage outtta him is beyond me.
More power to Selalaa.
Irish done by the Samoans again!

Gunner

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 18 Jul 2012, 5:25 pm

Players do improve you know, they don't stay hot and cold throughout the whole of their career...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 18 Jul 2012, 6:49 pm

I think that Sonny Bill has really got the right idea. He is talented at a number of different things and his chopping and changing obviously keeps him motivated.

I read that he turned down a whopping massive deal from Adidas. While money is obviously an issue I don't think it is his only motivation.

He strikes me mainly as a guy who wants to do it all while he is young enough to succeed. He has been a professional rugby league player, a professional rugby union player, a professional boxer and has been rapped on the knuckles by Crusaders for going off skiing.

He's played in France, played in NZ, played in Australia, why not go to Japan for a bit see the world, then back into league, then union again, maybe give boxing a real go.

I think he is possibly the most influencial player in short a short space of time and is just a really top athlete.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:43 am

Good on him. Some thoughts:
2014 Rugby league world cup
2015 Rugby union world cup
2016 Olympics rugby 7's

Just a thought. I think he needs 2 years back in union to give him the best chance of nailing a 15's spot. He's lucky in that we are going through a period where much of the young talent is being siphoned off to league, soI'm not sure we have the depth coming through.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

red_stag wrote:I think that Sonny Bill has really got the right idea. He is talented at a number of different things and his chopping and changing obviously keeps him motivated.

I read that he turned down a whopping massive deal from Adidas. While money is obviously an issue I don't think it is his only motivation.

He strikes me mainly as a guy who wants to do it all while he is young enough to succeed. He has been a professional rugby league player, a professional rugby union player, a professional boxer and has been rapped on the knuckles by Crusaders for going off skiing.

He's played in France, played in NZ, played in Australia, why not go to Japan for a bit see the world, then back into league, then union again, maybe give boxing a real go.

I think he is possibly the most influencial player in short a short space of time and is just a really top athlete.

Is this guy the most talented athlete, and possibly player, we've ever seen in Rugby? I think he possibly is.

The mind boggles what he could achieve if he just knuckled down to one sport. Certainly he would have been one of the best RL players ever if he hadn't have switched codes, and he was well on his way to becoming the worlds best inside center in RU. Apart from genuine pace and acceleration he has every other asset needed to be the best.

Rubbish boxer though...... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

[/quote] Apart from genuine pace and acceleration he has every other asset needed to be the best.

Rubbish boxer though...... :run: [/quote]

Although I agree he is an incredible player and I love watching him play, I'm not sure it's fair to say he has it all. Haven't seen much of his long flat pass that Nonu throws so well and there is zero kicking game. Also, he has a tendency to rush up in defence and look for the big hit and occasionally get pinger for the shoulder charge.

As I write this, it appears that his weaknesses are skill sets he will need even less in league and his strengths will be even more effective!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:50 am

Bathite wrote:
Apart from genuine pace and acceleration he has every other asset needed to be the best.

Rubbish boxer though...... Run [/quote]

Although I agree he is an incredible player and I love watching him play, I'm not sure it's fair to say he has it all. Haven't seen much of his long flat pass that Nonu throws so well and there is zero kicking game. Also, he has a tendency to rush up in defence and look for the big hit and occasionally get pinger for the shoulder charge.

As I write this, it appears that his weaknesses are skill sets he will need even less in league and his strengths will be even more effective![/quote]

He does plenty of long passes for the Chiefs and he did them for the Crusaders last year as well. His role with NZ is to mainly crash it up.
Did you see his grubber to set up Dagg's try against Ireland?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 19 Jul 2012, 9:51 am

Passing definitely not in Nonu's or in fact most top playmaker type IC level and I don't count a grubber (another league tactic) as a kicking game!

Freak of a player, very good at what he is good at, but no way near perfect

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next