The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland

4 posters

Go down

2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland Empty 2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 25 Jun 2012, 10:02 pm

After the highs of 2011's World Cup win, the All Blacks came into 2012 looking to rebuild. Sir Graham Henry departed after 8 years in charge of the team, with long time assistant Steve Hansen taking the reins. Many New Zealand fans had their doubts about the new regime. New assistant coach Ian Foster's CV pales in comparison with that of the outgoing Wayne Smith, while Hansen's record in charge of Wales was hardly inspiring.

In addition, a combination of post RWC retirements and a spate of injuries had taken their toll. Brad Thorn, Mils Muliaina, Sitiveni Sivivatu and (ahem) Stephen Donald had gone overseas while Jerome Kaino, Corey Jane, Colin Slade and Keven Mealamu headed the injury list. In addition, Ma'a Nonu, Piri Weepu, Jimmy Cowan and Ali Williams had all failed to impress in Super XV.

On the other hand, the Irish had their own injury woes at the end of a long season, while suddenly there appeared to be a glut of talented young half-backs and five-eighths in Super Rugby.

The new era began well with a convincing and comfortable victory in the first test. While the forward exchanges were worryingly even, Ireland were forced to double mark Sonny Bill Williams, which left a host of space for the rampant outside backs, allowing Julian Savea a debut hat-trick.

Ireland turned up for the second test in Christchurch, nearly grabbing a famous win as they dominated the breakdown and successfully slowed the game down to their pace. New Zealand's scrum creaked, and the backs were largely unable to penetrate the Irish defence. A slew of uncharacteristic handling errors meant that finishing was lacking.

The Irish were unable to back up their second test heroics, as a tweaked and roused New Zealand side ran riot, with new and newish names like to the fore. In the absence of Dan Carter Aaron Cruden initially laid claim to Quade Cooper's crown as the world's best attacking 10, while young Beauden Barrett highlighted the newfound depth at 10. Sam Cane and Joseph Romano showed that there is life after McCaw and Thorn, and Aaron Smith's fast passing game sparked attack after attack.

Article continues here: http://www.v2journal.com/new-zealands-june-tests-review.html
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland Empty Re: 2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jun 2012, 11:57 pm

Good article kiwi, how do you think retallick went? I thought Romano played well in the third test, took the ball up a few times and looks for work in that area. Just out of curiosity, where does ozzy McLean fit in?

It's almost like its a team of five 'kinda' coaches with foxy in there chucking his 2c in. Glad he's there, he always comes across as being a very good rugby brain and may be more than just a selector. He was very frank and open on reunion (or Deaker, can't recall), kinda laid out all the AB weaknesses and areas to work on after G2, almost too open and was hoping the Irish weren't watching. Didn't matter in the end I guess.

Back to top Go down

2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland Empty Re: 2012 June Internationals Review: New Zealand hosts Ireland

Post by Taylorman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 7:57 am

Im still not convinced by hansen. Its when he loses one and how he handles that when we'll see the real Hansen. With GH my respect went up tenfold when misery anger and despair hit NZ in 2007 and Henry was so composed to the point of annoying at the time. Dont know if hansens made of that stuff.

Plus has hansen got lucky with the quality of players we have?

Agree he has to be given the benefit of the doubt and tbe 4N will be the real test for him. That aside I think were in a fantastic position. The mix of youth vs experience is perfect so ive certainly no complaints.

That was a great series. Ireland in the second test for me easily the best of all the NH performances, including Scotlands effort.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

EBOP wrote:Good article kiwi, how do you think retallick went? I thought Romano played well in the third test, took the ball up a few times and looks for work in that area. Just out of curiosity, where does ozzy McLean fit in?

It's almost like its a team of five 'kinda' coaches with foxy in there chucking his 2c in. Glad he's there, he always comes across as being a very good rugby brain and may be more than just a selector. He was very frank and open on reunion (or Deaker, can't recall), kinda laid out all the AB weaknesses and areas to work on after G2, almost too open and was hoping the Irish weren't watching. Didn't matter in the end I guess.

I forgot about McLean Doh Freudian slip perhaps, given that I wasn't that impressed with his tenure at Canterbury. Defence was good though, so a 7 or 8 out of 10 for him.

I think Retallick, Whitelock and Romano are our locking "trio" going forward, with one of the "R"s coming off the bench.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue 26 Jun 2012, 9:48 am

Was very impressed with Romano's physicality in the last test. We'll need every bit of that playing the Boks.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:57 am

Joseph Romano? The sports writer? Smile

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:58 am

chewed_mintie wrote:Joseph Romano? The sports writer? Smile

Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down