The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters?

+4
Thomond
ChequeredJersey
ScarletSpiderman
Kingshu
8 posters

Go down

Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters? Empty Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters?

Post by Kingshu Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:53 am

Biarritz, Harlequins, Connacht, Zebre

First up Biarritz are a big european name, but only qualified by winning Almin, and finish outside the H-cup spots in top 14, you could argue that they are the worst French team. They are definatly one of the weaker top seeds.

Harlequins English Champions, but Connacht pushed them in London last year and beat them at home, may be the best team in the group but Connacht won't fear them, and are familiar with them. (ie I think if they had got Tigers they may have been overwhelmed by the name, whereas with Harlequins they know that they can beat them if they play well).

Zebre think they will lose 6 from 6 but will target Connacht at home to be their most winnable game.

With Zebre in this group it should provide one of the best runner up spots. Connacht could realistically earn the 2nd stop in this group, if they had hand picked it they prob couldn't have done better.

We are aware of the other provinces chances, in tough groups.
Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92
Northampton, Ulster, Glasgow Warriors, Castres
Leinster, Clermont Auvergne, Scarlets, Exeter

But I can see there being a real possiblity that Ulster, Leinster and Munster top their group and Connacht sneak into a best runner up spot to make in 4 Irish teams in the last 8.

Not saying it will happen by the way just that its not a crazy thought.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters? Empty Re: Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

IT is quite possible that Connacht could finish in 2nd. Although looking at the larger picture would you really want all four Irish sides in the QFs, after all the english and french are already sulking about the Irish domination of the HEC.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters? Empty Re: Connacht and all 4 Provinces to make h-cup quarters?

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

Not if we have anything to say about it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

Connacht won't get out of that group. An Amlin QF spot would be unbelievable. Remember that Connacht went on like a 14 match losing streak.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:09 am

Kingshu that's very optimistic but yes it could happen.

I would not underestimate Biarritz though. Their HC home record is very good. They won all their home games last season including destroying Ospreys.

Quins are the English champs so should be underestimated. They will have a lot of confidence after getting the monkey off the back vs Leicester and Saracens.

The other Irish sides don't have easy pools. They have at least one strong competitor to push them all the way.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:16 am

A key factor is that Quins pack, especially scrum and breakdown, has greatly improved since our December slump. If that form continues, we will be far better equipped to play in the rain at Connaught
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

Beshocked - Biarritz also have a bad habit of underestimating lesser sides. They were the first side to lose to Aironi, and they have been beaten by Treviso too. So Connacht (and Zebre for that matter) may well catch them napping.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

It would be great if 4 of the top 8 teams in European Rugby were Irish, maybe 2 Welsh teams as well,

6 out of the 8 spots being Pro 12 teams seams about right to me. Yahoo

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

Biarritz
Missing Yachvilli and HarryOrdinary due to the RWC and then injuries plagued both for quite a lot of last season (if memory serves). They do well at home but might not show up away from home. I'd tip them for second.

Quins
Last year was their breakthrough year. Stars like Marler and Robshaw are getting regular England game time now and will rested more in the Jeff. But they will still play all HC games. I'd expect revenge on the cards in Galway and a TBP at home. Reckon they beat Biarritz by more than 7 at home and lose by less than 7 away.

Connacht
Get a good run at Biarritz at home and sneak a win. Beat Zebre home and away but without TBPs. I reckon they lose both legs to Quins by more than 7 points.

Zebre
No points.

Biarritz losing away to Connacht give the group to Quins. Biarritz go through as a best placed runner up (10 points on Zebre, 6 points on Connacht, 4 points on Quins)

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 26 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

No chance of 4 provinces making the playoffs. No team is guaranteed to qualify and one or two bad performances and they're out.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 26 Jun 2012, 6:20 pm

I'd just add on my previous post that Quins are very likely to be the top seed coming out of the group stages. 10 points from Zebre, 9 points from Connacht and 5-6 points against Biarritz will mean it very difficult for someone to come out of another group higher.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Jun 2012, 10:40 pm

Connacht have signed Danie Poolman from the Stormers.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 28 Jun 2012, 4:40 am

profitius what team do you support?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

profitius wrote:No chance of 4 provinces making the playoffs. No team is guaranteed to qualify and one or two bad performances and they're out.

While I believe its unlikey, no chance is going to far.

Connacht have the best chance they will get to make the Q finals, and one of the best runners up is prob going to come from this group. Is getting 2nd spot in this group in the realm of no chance? I don't think so, think that with a shock result they could do it.

Connacht arn't the team they were 3/4 years ago, they are tougher, have a better XV and more depth.

While I expect them to finish 3rd, I can see they could finish 2nd.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

Kingshu wrote:
profitius wrote:No chance of 4 provinces making the playoffs. No team is guaranteed to qualify and one or two bad performances and they're out.

While I believe its unlikey, no chance is going to far.

Connacht have the best chance they will get to make the Q finals, and one of the best runners up is prob going to come from this group. Is getting 2nd spot in this group in the realm of no chance? I don't think so, think that with a shock result they could do it.

Connacht arn't the team they were 3/4 years ago, they are tougher, have a better XV and more depth.

While I expect them to finish 3rd, I can see they could finish 2nd.

Kingshu - I think what Profitius meant is Leinster will let the other three of you down by getting kickings from the Scarlets and Exeter.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 28 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

thats typical Leinster, have to go there own way, supose thats what happens when you are the weakest Province, they should really have just gone into the almin cup this year.

Whats the aim for Scarlets this year though?
Play off spot or top 6 in league?
win all home games in Hcup?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

What I ment by "no chance" is there is very little chance of it happening when you consider how tight some HEC matches can be. All the Irish teams have strengthened though so you never know.

Artful_Dodger wrote:profitius what team do you support?

I'm lucky enough to be from Cork so Munster is my team. OK
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down