The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make?

+3
Mr Bounce
Sugar Floyd Louis
Seanusarrilius
7 posters

Go down

Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make? Empty Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make?

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:22 am

Donaire v Rigondeaux
Khan v Bradley
Pac v May
Cotto v Alvarez Lara v Alvarez Lara v cotto Molina V Cotto Kirkland v Alvarez and any variation of all of them
Martinez v Junior

The list is endless but the sad fact remains that the best fights in boxing are often the hardest to make?

Someone give me good reasons as to why?

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make? Empty Re: Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make?

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Wed 27 Jun 2012, 2:34 am

Ego's

Greed

Some may be afraid but I wouldn't call a boxer a coward no matter what.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make? Empty Re: Why are the best fights in boxing so hard to make?

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:35 am

It's all about the money. Also promoters try to "protect" their charges in an effort to (you guessed it) make as much money as possible. And some fighters are genuinely frightened of losing, and will actively avoid the best match-ups.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Wed 27 Jun 2012, 7:58 am

Donaire v Rigondeaux - rigondeaux bring little fans and money to table
Khan v Bradley - Bradley ducked it
Pac v May - Ego/make enough $$$ fighting lesser opponents
Cotto v Alvarez Lara v Alvarez Lara v cotto Molina V Cotto Kirkland v Alvarez and any variation of all of them - Cotto and Alvarez bring the $$$ and are fighting low risk fights.
Martinez v Junior - Protecting cash cow

I dont agree with these reasons but thats why they arent happening..... business and $$$

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:40 am

It's all about the money. If you had to face competitive opposition regularly to maximise your earnings over the full duration of your career, then that is what most boxers would do - provided they were rewarded for competitive performance irrespective of the W/L ratio.

The problem is, a loss is a severe setback these days, and promoters can make bigger money for their fighters by trading on an unproven/protected reputation, than they can after a high profile loss, even if competitive or exciting.

That is the perception, anyway, but I would point their attention to fighters like Maidana, Ortiz or even Khan. When people start to recognise those that are exciting to watch, win or lose, the big fights/money come too.

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:49 am

UpandUnder wrote:Donaire v Rigondeaux - rigondeaux bring little fans and money to table
Cotto v Alvarez Lara v Alvarez Lara v cotto Molina V Cotto Kirkland v Alvarez and any variation of all of them - Cotto and Alvarez bring the $$$ and are fighting low risk fights.

I dont agree with these reasons but thats why they arent happening..... business and $$$

i dont believe bradley ducked. at the time i did but it's clear he was chasing a move to top rank and a fight with the more dangerous manny.
yes the manny fight had a greater risk/reward but for a fighter who doesn't/didn't know how to lose if he was willing to fight manny he would have been willing to fight bradley in my eyes.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 27 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

haye vs vitali is one. both sides seem to sell different stories.
i remember booth wanted all contract discussions out in the open which seemed to shut vitali's people up.

but then haye says a lot of things.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 27 Jun 2012, 9:31 am

UpandUnder wrote:Donaire v Rigondeaux - rigondeaux bring little fans and money to table

Cotto just fought Mayweather and Margarito who at the time was 1 of only 2 men to have beat him. They aren't low risk fights. Alvarez was supposed to be fighting Wiliams who wasn't low risk either.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by UpandUnder Wed 27 Jun 2012, 9:39 am

Yes but compare those big money paydays to the likes of Lara and and Molina and you see high risk low reward....high risk high reward is something else.

But yes I could have worded that better

UpandUnder

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 27 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

I wouldn't class Molina as high risk low reward Cotto would deal with him pretty comfortably and so would Canelo imo. He's been on Friday Night Fights a few times and has never looked any better than average. Martin Honorio who is naturally a featherweight boxed rings round him

Lara no one wants to fight and that's a shame because he is talented, guys like Kirkland and Angulo were kept away from him as well. Promoters won't take the risk I don't think many boxers would dodge anyone especially not an unbeaten fighter like Canelo they have super confidence and believe they can beat anyone.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down