The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iniesta named player of the tournament

+6
drsambo1928
Hero
Leff
cherriesfna
Crimey
GSC
10 posters

Go down

Iniesta named player of the tournament Empty Iniesta named player of the tournament

Post by GSC Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:43 am

Meh, would've gone for Pirlo myself.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Iniesta named player of the tournament Empty Re: Iniesta named player of the tournament

Post by Crimey Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

I think the final will have swung it. I think he was Spain's best player, but I thought Pirlo was better as well to be honest. Iniesta played well but was a victim of his own brilliance because we've seen him play so much better.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Iniesta named player of the tournament Empty Re: Iniesta named player of the tournament

Post by cherriesfna Mon 02 Jul 2012, 11:46 am

milner's been thieved
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:29 pm

Iniesta is one of my all-time favourites. Not sure if he deserves to be the man of the tournament. But then, he is such an unselfish and unassuming player that I might have missed some of his contributions.

Alba would have been my choice for this tournament.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm

Here's the full list from UEFA:

Euro 2012 team of the tournament: Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Ita), Iker Casillas (Spa), Manuel Neuer (Ger)

Defenders: Gerard Pique (Spa), Fabio Coentrao (Por), Philipp Lahm (Ger), Pepe (Por), Sergio Ramos (Spa), Jordi Alba (Spa)

Midfielders: Daniele De Rossi (Ita), Steven Gerrard (Eng), Xavi (Spa), Andres Iniesta (Spa), Sami Khedira (Ger), Sergio Busquets (Spa), Mesut Ozil (Ger), Andrea Pirlo (Ita), Xabi Alonso (Spa)

Forwards: Mario Balotelli (Ita), Cesc Fabregas (Spa), Cristiano Ronaldo (Por), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Swe), David Silva (Spa)

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 12:54 pm

Should have been Pirlo.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:53 pm

Pirlo hardly got a kick in the final, and for all his excellence against England, Italy failed to score in 120 minutes. He was good, but not a definite for player of the tournament.

For me, Iniesta is really the key to Spain - Xavi may be the guy that the ball goes to most, but the moments of incisive passing more often come from Iniesta. First goal in the final came from a superb ball through to Fabregas, and he'd already released Alba down the left (pity the lack of forwards in the box to challenge for the cross that came in). Fantastic player, and I wish we had one like him.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Mon 02 Jul 2012, 4:54 pm

Pirlo played well in every match except Spain, he should be the player of the tornument

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 03 Jul 2012, 8:57 am

England made Pirlo look 10 x better than he is. I'm not saying he's not brilliant but everybody went over the top after the England game, where he was hardly challenged all game.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:11 am

Actually Pirlo was just as good vs Germany and throughout the group stage
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:12 am

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Actually Pirlo was just as good vs Germany and throughout the group stage

Not really.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:13 am

Yes really.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:14 am

no, not really
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:14 am

Yes, yes really Braveheart
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:15 am

Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:25 am

I agree with GCS, against Spain in the first game Pirlo looked better than both Xavi and Iniesta, and again he was excellent against Germany. Pirlo is so good at finding space, pundits try to act as if it's a simple matter of just closing him down but he just finds the space every time. Even against Spain he got into space so many times, the ball just didn't get to him.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

But England didn't even put him under pressure. Different argument, so no more from me.

To be fair, he did give the ball away on a couple of occasions in the final through Spain's pressure. if Pirlo had been named the POT then I wouldn't have argued to much.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 03 Jul 2012, 9:39 am

Crimey means the first game I think, when Pirlo ran the show
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 03 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

Pirlo was very good against Spain, great against Croatia. Keith Andrews dominated him when they played Ireland though. I would have given it to him but I'm not surprised they gave it to Iniesta.

Last edited by Thomond on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I said Italy instead of Spain. Feiced up big time.)

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:09 am

Thomond wrote:Pirlo was ver good against Italy

chin

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 03 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Thomond wrote:Pirlo was ver good against Italy

chin

Edited Wink He was probably good against his Italian team mates in training though Whistle

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Tue 03 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

In the final, de Rossi and Marchisio could not press enough to create space for Andrea Pirlo. Pirlo could not quite execute his long diagonals. Fabregas and David Silva managed to read Pirlo fully. Alba and Arbeloa charged forward without resistance. Not just Pirlo, it was a collective failure of Pirlo, de Rossi and Marchisio to negotiate the speed and guile of the Spanish midfield. Xavi and Iniesta had total domination. The pair did this in the WC final too. It's their ability to rise to the big occasion is what makes them special.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 03 Jul 2012, 12:32 pm

I wouldn't call it a failure, Spain are just so difficult to play against. Italy held their own for most of the first half and I thought they were unlucky to be 2-0 down. Second half they just ran out of steam. They managed 53% of of possession in the first half an hour, the first time a team managed that against Spain all tournament so Italy did well for a bit.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down