The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Groves

+8
TopHat24/7
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
OasisBFC
azania
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

George Groves Empty George Groves

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:48 am

Returns at the end of July against Mexican Francisco Sierra (no me neither). His first fight in 2012. Talent being wasted or unfortunate with injuries?

Lets hope he fights more regularly and realises his vast potential.

azania

Back to top Go down

George Groves Empty Re: George Groves

Post by OasisBFC Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 am

he's been unlucky, if he gets back in the ring and gets a good run of fights under his belt he'll really progress.

he has obvious power so could trouble most at his weight if he gets on the right path

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 am

I think he's a very smart guy and knows his potential, I think he has just genuinely been unfortunate with injuries. If he has injuries then he shouldn't fight, I think his stablemate Haye has taught him that censored

I hope he fights more regularly, but sometimes it just isn't his fault that certain things go wrong.

Think the opponent is just to get him back up to speed and shake off a bit of ring rust.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 am

He's got talent ( and he's going to have to make up his mind about his future very soon!!! Boxnation etc...

Badly needs exposure because unfortunately with Price, Fury , Brook and others fighting in front of more viewers...

He's becoming the forgotten man!!!

Still not convinced whether he's the real deal to be honest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 am

If he has been injured and decided not to fight then its a good move. Losing to a non entity regardless of being injured or not will reduce his stock.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 am

He has power but his chin is dodgy. Proved he can fight on the move against Degale and has a decent jab.

As for exposure well I hate to say it but a reality show of some kind seems to do the trick for many D - list celebs. One thing is for sure he needs to leave Booth behind.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 am

I don't think he has too much of a problem in regards to his chin, think it's pretty sturdy, though he is definitely stoppable.

Also, to be fair to the guy he packed out the O2 Arena against Paul Smith. Though do agree a move to Matchroom could be pretty handy, with the chance of fighting on Froch undercards etc. It would really get him running forward and get the Sky train back behind him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 am

What on earth is wrong with some people. Get decked or wobbled and all of a sudden you have a dodgy chin. If you get clipped at the right place chances are you will wobble at least. Ward has been decked. Froch has been decked. Calzaghe has been decked. Chris Eubank has been decked. All had dodgy chins?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 am

Think it's a case of both injuries and careful career management, were he to have beaten Stieglitz for the WBO title he'd have then ended up on the radar of the big men in the division something he isn't ready for yet.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 am

azania wrote:What on earth is wrong with some people. Get decked or wobbled and all of a sudden you have a dodgy chin. If you get clipped at the right place chances are you will wobble at least. Ward has been decked. Froch has been decked. Calzaghe has been decked. Chris Eubank has been decked. All had dodgy chins?

Eubank has never had a dodgy chin. Calzaghe put him down with a push/slap. Anderson had Groves in all sorts of trouble and who is Anderson????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 am

Anderson is a seriously hard puncher, I would say one of the hardest punchers in the SMW division, he landed a fair few cleanly on George's chin before he dropped, he did drop, but that doesn't mean he has a bad chin, he got hit by a big puncher and went down, no shame in that, anyone can be decked, doesn't mean they are chinny.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:18 am

I've never been decked.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:20 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I've never been decked.

Laugh Laugh Hug

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:21 am

Watch the first round again onetwo. It was not a push but a punch that decked him.

Anderson is someone who has a huge punch. I would question Groves for getting hit as opposed to his chin. He got up and did the business. Great guy and wonderful fighter. Sturdy chinned also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 am

azania wrote:What on earth is wrong with some people. Get decked or wobbled and all of a sudden you have a dodgy chin. If you get clipped at the right place chances are you will wobble at least. Ward has been decked. Froch has been decked. Calzaghe has been decked. Chris Eubank has been decked. All had dodgy chins?

But in cases like Price being stopped as an amateur or Alvarez wobbled as a teenager then its concrete proof......

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 am

Beat me to it Manos.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 am

manos de piedra wrote:

But in cases like Price being stopped as an amateur or Alvarez wobbled as a teenager then its concrete proof......

The all got decked by people in their own weight division and not by some guy 2 weights below theirs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:38 am

Froch was decked by a former middleweight who wasn't known for his punching power.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Froch was decked by a former middleweight who wasn't known for his punching power.

As you know Ghosty (and have probably said also) the higher up the weights, theless the weight disparity comes into play. Moreover Froch is not a big SMW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 am

That single isolated incident though wouldn't lead you to think that Froch possesses one of the best chins in the whole of boxing though. Taking into account his whole career paints a very different picture.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:That single isolated incident though wouldn't lead you to think that Froch possesses one of the best chins in the whole of boxing though. Taking into account his whole career paints a very different picture.

It doesn't. I think Fury has a great chin. Were he to get decked by a LMW, then I would start to raise eye brows. Plus he has been hit and hit hard by quality fighters. Alvarez has not been in with any quality fighters who have a pulse rate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

Fury has been in with one decent opponent and that was Chisora, now personally don't think he's that much better than the likes of Rhodes, Cintron, Baldomir, N'Dou or Gomez regardless of age. To be decked by a non entity like that canadian who i've never heard of does raise eyebrows especially when he has so little punching power.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:24 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Fury has been in with one decent opponent and that was Chisora, now personally don't think he's that much better than the likes of Rhodes, Cintron, Baldomir, N'Dou or Gomez regardless of age. To be decked by a non entity like that canadian who i've never heard of does raise eyebrows especially when he has so little punching power.

I reckon Fury has chin issues.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:35 am

Groves fecked up going for Warren over Mathroom, he should be having Sky exposure and (injuries permitting) be fighting at least 2-3 times per year.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 am

Groves messed up as excluding injuries he would have progressed more. I'm not overly impressed with him, defensively he is flawed and looks pretty weak at the weight but has quick hands and can hit pretty hard. His win over Adamu was his best performance imo.

He has a very cagey unorthodox stance which he seems to use after the degale fight whereas he fought a little more rigid in his earlier career

I don't think he's overly chinny but is definitely vulnerable. Degale buzzed him once or twice and looked physically stronger than George. We all know what happened with Anderson but it was how fragile he looked when he did start getting tagged. He showed good powers of recovery and good stamina

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Groves fecked up going for Warren over Mathroom, he should be having Sky exposure and (injuries permitting) be fighting at least 2-3 times per year.

Did he join Warren when Frank was still with Sky?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Personally Im glad they have announced it for the end of July, confirms in my opinion that its nothing more than a warm up fight to get rid of any ring rust, wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back out in September all things being well.

And I'd say his best performance would be his demolition of Paul Smith, good fighter made to look like a complete bum. Really think if George can avoid injuries he can go on to be a very good champion at SMW.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 pm

azania wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Groves fecked up going for Warren over Mathroom, he should be having Sky exposure and (injuries permitting) be fighting at least 2-3 times per year.

Did he join Warren when Frank was still with Sky?

The death knells were already sounding. The bigger reason, at the time, why it was a bad decision was that DeGale was clearly the goldenboy and Groves shouldn't have joined the stable of his biggest domestic rival who's favoured higher than him. Following Warren's defection and Sky's support of Matchroom, the decision looks even worse.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I had to pinch myself to believe you really wrote this Az.

After the crap you spouted about Alvarez being chinny because he got rocked against Cotto. Absolutely priceless how much you must hate Canelo.

I am printing this quote out and framing it hahaha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

After the crap you spouted about Alvarez being chinny because he got rocked against Cotto. Absolutely priceless how much you must hate Canelo.

Once again you are a little slow. Been discussed above. Try to keep up.

And thanks for saving my posts.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Why bother? everyone knows Az is as contradictory and 2 faced as a career politician, this is nothing new!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Why bother? everyone knows Az is as contradictory and 2 faced as a career politician, this is nothing new!

What has that got to do with Groves?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Is it ever possible to have a debate about anything on here without it resorting to a slagging match of some sort?

Was actually quite enjoying reading peoples opinion on Groves career but as usual it turns from decent conversation to childish insults. Rolling Eyes

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Very true alan. It seems that some would rather debate posters as opposed to boxing. I mean even saving my posts. How childish is that?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 pm

It's just a response to your wummery Az. Plenty of people on here try to debate sensibly but we get you (contradicting yourself and being deliberately contrarian all the time) and Truss (trying to bully everyone into submission) making that very hard.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 pm

So saying that there is no harm in getting decked by a big puncher is now a sign on wummery? Bear in mind that I started the thread on Groves also. Sign of wummery?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Not bullied anybody.....

Try to debate instead of hitting and running or go back to the football board..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 am

How long does your School holidays last az, your boring the place out with your wummery
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 am

Right am bored now, either play nice, learn to use the foe button or get banned, any option is fine by me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:How long does your School holidays last az, your boring the place out with your wummery

Give it a rest now dee. Its getting repetitive and boring. I'm sure there are chat rooms which cater for this sort of thing you're doing. This is a boxing forum. I suggest we talk boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:45 am

Sorry Rowley, not my intention to make your job harder, I'll make sure this is my last post. I've commented 2-3 times on the OP with little else to add.

Az - wummery is changing your opinion and how you apply it more often than people change their underwear, and then vociferously defending it. Dee was fair to point out that on another thread you criticised Alvarez's chin for the same reasons you're now defending Groves'. You do it all the time (eg Ortiz v Vit 'quitter' argument) and it frustrates debate.

Truss - good bullying post to back up my point, "hit'n'run" = have a job so can't spend all day posting. The, now locked, Fury thread decended into chaos because you couldn't hack people debating and disagreeing with you so you shamelessly bullied JM2 in particular over it.

None of this (including this post, I admit) is conducive debate, and for that, to the mod team in particular, I apologise.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 am

What's going on with the boards, there's people openly apologising...this would never have happened in Windy's day! He probably up there now moderating an argument as to which clouds are better for playing harps on

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Sorry Rowley, not my intention to make your job harder, I'll make sure this is my last post. I've commented 2-3 times on the OP with little else to add.

Az - wummery is changing your opinion and how you apply it more often than people change their underwear, and then vociferously defending it. Dee was fair to point out that on another thread you criticised Alvarez's chin for the same reasons you're now defending Groves'. You do it all the time (eg Ortiz v Vit 'quitter' argument) and it frustrates debate.

Truss - good bullying post to back up my point, "hit'n'run" = have a job so can't spend all day posting. The, now locked, Fury thread decended into chaos because you couldn't hack people debating and disagreeing with you so you shamelessly bullied JM2 in particular over it.

None of this (including this post, I admit) is conducive debate, and for that, to the mod team in particular, I apologise.

Getting decked by a hard punching guy in your division does not indicate being chinny. It indicated work needed on your defences.

Being badly wobbled by someone 3 weights below yours does indicate (to me at least) someone with chin issues.

Dee may have pointed it out but a far better poster pointed it out earlier on the same very thread. A point which was debated in a civil manner free from wumming accusations and th elike. All very pleasant....until dee came along.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 am

I'm sorry too......I love you all!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 am

So Taylor was a big puncher at 168lbs, he wasn't even a big puncher at middleweight so does that make froch chinny?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:26 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So Taylor was a big puncher at 168lbs, he wasn't even a big puncher at middleweight so does that make froch chinny?

I addressed this point earlier Ghosty.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:09 am

You didn't really, you just said that Froch wasn't big at the weight which doesn't really mean anything.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:15 am

A small SMW getting decked by a MW is not as bad as a LMW getting decked by a lightweight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 am

Alvarez wasn't fighting at light middleweight at the time though was he so the difference isn't really that much different,

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:28 am

Fair enough. He was a big WW fighting a fat LW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next