The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 10 - Pitches

+4
Mat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Shelsey93
Gregers
8 posters

Go down

Week 10 - Pitches Empty Week 10 - Pitches

Post by Gregers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:02 pm

Southern League

Match 1: Hampshire Royals vs Essex Eagles

Pitch: A spinners paradise which will allow even part timer spinners to get some great movement off of the pitch, batsmen will have to be alert to any threats. It should be a low scoring affair unless a batsmen is able to chance their arm and score a quick fire 50.

Match 2: Somerset CC vs Surrey Lions

Pitch: A hard top where the ball will sit up nicely and allow players to hit through the lines, when combined with Tauntons small boundaries it should be a huge scoring game. Bowlers will probably be more bothered about damage limitation rather than full on attack.

Match 3: Sussex Sharks vs Middlesex Panthers

Pitch: The wind has got up down at Hove which will make swing more dangerous, adding this to the swirling wind if the ball goes high it will make fielding of the upmost importance. Batsmen will want the push the field hard to force mistakes, therefore batsmen who can make ones into twos will be of upmost importance.

Northern League

Match 1: Nottinghamshire Outlaws vs Leicestershire Foxes

Pitch: This is a pitch which will suit all-comers. Some dry grass for the
spinners along with some good bounce for the seamers. Although the pitch is a touch two paced once a batsman gets in he
should find scoring easy and boundaries easy to hit given a relatively
short boundary.

Match 2: Lancashire Lightening vs Yorkshire Carnegie

Pitch: Overnight rain has taken a bit of the sting out of this pitch but medium
pacers and spinners (especially part timers) who can keep it tight and keep scoring opportunities
to a minimum might well win this game. Furthermore, if a batsman can
get in/ride his luck and score a quick 30-40 runs the match might well
be over right then!

Match 3: Worcestershire Royals vs Durham Dynamos

Pitch: A fast pitch that will suit express bowlers. Even the medium pacers will
get some great bounce and pace off of this pitch. If a batsman can use
the pace to his advantage they are bound to score at a good pace.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Week 10 - Pitches Empty Re: Week 10 - Pitches

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:13 pm

Do we have any injuries yet? I might get this done quickly

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:31 pm

Injury number will be posted in a sec, injuries as soon as kiwi does them

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Jul 2012, 5:32 pm

Yes a spinner's pitch Yahoo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:06 pm

I have a horrible feeling about the injuries I'll get this week looking at my pitch. Expecting it to be Lee and Meaker!

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

Swinging pitch, and no Steve Finn. Hmmm

(injuries are up btw)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:34 pm

Mat wrote:I have a horrible feeling about the injuries I'll get this week looking at my pitch. Expecting it to be Lee and Meaker!

Doh Sorry mate, I only "got" one of the two.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:42 pm

SUSSEX SHARKS Tactics v Middlesex Panthers @ Hove

Team line-up:

1 Chris Nash
2 Richard Levi
3 Virat Kohli (c)
4 Matt Prior (wk)
5 Luke Wright
6 Andre Russell
7 Ben Brown
8 Michael Yardy
9 Dale Steyn
10 Clint McKay
11 Monty Panesar

5 Overseas players (Levi, Kohli, Russell, Steyn, McKay)
4 Under 25s (Levi, Kohli, Russell, Brown)

Following last weeks walk-over, we field the same team with Kallis continuing to be unavailable for this critical match.

Toss

Bowl first. Take advantage of the swing.

Batting Plans

- Nash to bat sensibly and ensure that wickets don't go down too quickly. Can accelerate as the innings goes on. Good runner.
- Levi to hit up front in the first six. Capable of going on with it, as is shown by his record fastest ever T20 hundred.
- Kohli at three is extremely classy. Runs well between the wickets
- Prior is experienced, and very capable of playing all kinds of innings. As a Test player swing shouldn't worry him hugely. Good 'keeper to have under swirling catches.
- Russell and Wright are both capable of massive hits. They will need to attack the spinners on this occasion, but will also need to run well, as constant big hitting may not always be possible.
- Yardy will play primarily as a bowler but he has a good FC batting record and if we lose early wickets can come in up the order and bat to good effect.

Bowling and Fielding Plans

- Steyn takes the new ball and bowls at the death. He should be difficult to score off as the premier pace bowler in world cricket. He returns at the death, where he is also an extremely skillful bowler.
- McKay at the other end is a fine international bowler, and has shown his skills with the new ball in the ongoing Eng v Aus series. Will also make use of his variations, and bowl at the death.
- Russell is an exciting cricketer who will run in and give his all. Swung the ball in the recent WI v NZ 1st ODI in Jamaica.
- Panesar and Yardy will make use of the breeze, by varying their flight. If they are attacked there is every chance that the wind will stop the ball from clearing the rope.
- Depending on how things go, Wright and Nash can fill in some overs

- We are a good fielding side. Russell, Kohli, Brown, Levi and Nash are great in the outfield, and Prior is one of the best keepers around.

Approximate Plan -
Steyn: 1, 3, 18, 20
McKay: 2, 4, 6, 19
Russell: 5, 7, 14, 16
Panesar: 9, 11, 13, 15
Yardy: 8, 10, 12, 17

+ Nash and Wright as options. If it is really hooping Kohli can also do a job.

This plan is very much dependent on how people bowl. We have plenty of alternatives if we need to move away from Plan A.

The team have been reminded how important this fixture is. We have all but qualified for the quarter-finals but finishing as high as possible is essential, as we need to avoid the stronger teams in the North group.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:43 pm

Surrey Lions vs Somerset CCC

Injuries: Stevens, Crooks and Northeast

1) Steve Davies (wk)
2) Mahela Jayawardene (c)
3) Jason Roy
4) Mike Hussey
5) Rory Hamilton-Brown
6) Angelo Mathews
7) Ravindra Jadeja
8) Chris Woakes
9) Murali Kartik
10) James Harris
11) Jade Dernbach

Under 25 - Davies, Roy, RHB, Mathews, Jadeja, Woakes, Harris, Dernbach

Overseas - Kartik, Mahela, Hussey, Mathews, Jadeja

Toss: Bat first, look to score big big runs and then let scoreboard pressure hopefully cause them to panic.

Batting: Mahela has been promoted this week to lead by example as we need wins now if we are to qualify for the 1/4 finals. He will look to play through whilst Davies and Roy hit out from the off. Hussey is at four to carry on the big hitting but also to provide a platform for RHB/Mathews/Jadeja/Woakes to hit out and hopefully take us past 200.

Bowling: Opening up with Kartik and Dernbach and try and get a quick early wicket before switching to Harris and Woakes. Kartik inparticular will be used to try and trap Gayle early. After the powerplay we will use Jadeja and Kartik together to try and force the batsmen into doing something spectacular as they use their mastery of flight and dip to try and outthink them. We will also have Mathews bowl a few cutters to keep it tight in the middle overs. Dernbach and Woakes to finish off and hopefully see us across the line.

Kartik - 4 overs (1,8,10,12)
Dernbach - 4 overs (2,16,18,20)
Woakes - 4 overs (3,5,17,19)
Harris - 3 overs (4,6,15)
Jadeja - 4 overs (7,9,11,13)
Mathews - 1 overs (14)

Last edited by Gregers on Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 09 Jul 2012, 7:57 pm

Middlesex side to face Sussex
No Player Ave SR Bowling Ave Econ
1 Martin Guptil (o,u25) 36.78 132.02 - 9.50
2 Neil Dexter 20.86 110.93 26.96 7.54
3 Dawid Malan (u25) 32.15 118.00 23.00 6.90
4 Brendon McCullum (o,wk) 32.55 137.24 - -
5 Eoin Morgan (u25) 26.33 130.64 - -
6 Shane Watson (o) 31.29 144.84 24.75 7.28
7 Darren Maddy 30.18 132.97 23.84 7.95
8 Daniel Vettori (o,c) 19.40 122.87 21.16 6.25
9 Jack Brooks 14.75 134.09 30.15 6.93
10 Praveen Kumar (o,u25) 12.25 118.68 30.36 7.63
11 Boyd Rankin 8.00 84.21 16.25 5.41

Toss: bowl first and take the best of the swing, and back a deep batting lineup to score the required runs chasing

Praveen Kumar comes in for the injured Steve Finn, meaning that Neil Dexter replaces Yuvraj Singh. Dexter has been fairly successful opening in recent weeks in real life, so opens up to see off the new ball with Guptil, who plays swing pretty well. Malan offers another steady hand at 3, with McCullum, Morgan, Watson and Maddy to provide acceleration later on, plenty of broad shouldered strike power there, especially hitting whichever of Panesar/Yardy bowls downwind - the down-wind spinner (presumably Monty unless Steyn is bowling upwind) will have be bowling fairly flat and quick. Vettori leads the lower order, with handy strikers in Brooks and Kumar if needed.

Praveen Kumar takes up the new ball, and will be a real handful in swinging conditions. England Lion Jack Brooks gets the job of running into the wind, and has the strength to push in fairly well and the ability to swing and seam the ball. Those two bowl through the powerplay before being replaced by Rankin and Vettori. Rankin's steepling bounce is tough to score off anywhere, especially with a strong breeze behind him, while Vettori bowls into the wind with his usual flight and guile. Dexter's capable swing/seam fills in a couple of overs before Watson (who generally picks up more wickets than he deserves when the ball is moving around) and Rankin see out the innings. Maddy once again offers a back up medium pace option if anyone is having an off day, plus there are extra overs available from Watson, Brooks and Dexter.

Fielding-wise, Guptil is currently NZ's best fielder, while Morgan is pretty handy too. Watson, Rankin and Brooks have good arms in the outfield and McCullum is still very handy behind the stumps. With the team currently just point clear of second and 3rd at the top of the Southern table they know a win here could be vital to maintain a top-2 spot going into the quarters.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
Mat wrote:I have a horrible feeling about the injuries I'll get this week looking at my pitch. Expecting it to be Lee and Meaker!

Doh Sorry mate, I only "got" one of the two.

Why did I say anything?! Laugh Tempted fate

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:57 pm

Worcs tactics vs Durham

Toss:Bowl first, Know what we need so the innings can be paced accordingly.

Batting line up:

1)Kevin Pietersen
2)Hashim Amla
3)Ian Bell
4)Vikram Solanki
5)Shakib Al Hasan-U25
6)Dan Christian
7)Adam Lyth-U25
8)Gary Wilson-WK-HG-U25
9)Brett Lee
10)Junaid Khan-U25
11)Alan Richardson-HG

Batting Tactics:Pietersen will really enjoy the pace on the ball, Amla to play a more conservative innings whilst still targetting the bad balls. Bell will also play the pace well, with Solanki used to playing on such pitches as well. Shakib, Christian, Lyth, Wilson and Lee are charged with lower order batting.

Bowling tactics:

Brett Lee:1,3,17,19
Alan Richardson:2,4,6,13
Dan Christian:5,7,9,15
Junaid Khan:11,16,18,20
Shakib:8,10,12,14

Mat
6CW Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 Jul 2012, 9:14 pm

Hampshire Royals v Essex Eagles
Injuries: Steve Smith and Robert Key

Starting XI:
1. Graeme Smith - Captain/Overseas
2. Jimmy Adams
3. Michael Clarke - Overseas
4. Umar Akmal - Wicket Keeper/Under 25/Overseas
5. Ravi Bopara
6. James Vince - Under 25
7. Dimi Mascarenhas
8. Dwayne Bravo - Overseas
9. Nayan Doshi
10. Danny Briggs - Under 25
11. Chris Wood - Under 25

Toss: We will bat first, as the pitch will crumble even more throughout the match, so we want the better of the conditions first.

Batting Tactics:
Smith - Marshal the innings. Want you to play through the 20 overs and look to score at more than a run a ball.
Adams - Explode. Look to score really quickly and get us off to a flyer.
Clarke - You are a great player of spin. You can make the score to get us the win today. Do it.
Akmal - Come in and look to score quickly. Look to hit the boundaries a lot.
Bopara and Vince - Come in and play your lovely shots. Look to score quickly, and at least a run a ball is required.
Mascarenhas and Bravo - Both of you are to come in and clear the ropes. End our innings off on a high.
Doshi, Briggs and Wood - Come in and hit the ball. Simples.

Bowling Tactics:
Mascarenhas - Overs 1,3,18,20.
Doshi - Overs 2,4,6,8.
Bravo - Overs 10,12.
Briggs - Overs 9,11,13,15.
Clarke - Overs 14,16.
Wood - Overs 17,19.

Mascarenhas - Bowl your cutters early on, and look to take wickets. Death bowling you are great at, so bowl yorkers and slower balls.
Doshi - Open up. You are a great T20 bowler, and look to take wickets early. You can wreak havoc.
Bravo - Bowl a couple of tight overs in the middle of the innings.
Briggs - Wicket is made for you today. Look to take wickets and restrict them.
Clarke - You can have a couple of overs. You are a wildcard for the spinners wicket, so look to nick a wicket or two.
Wood - Come on at the death, and bowl really tightly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

Gregers managed to pop on, we got a dongle for me to 'do uni work' but the rest of the family also need it so can't be on all the time.

Somerset Vs Surrey - Somerset

Toss - Bat first, use the small pitches of Taunton to our advantage to pose a daunting total even for the Surrey boys.

Batting line up:

1) Trescothick (c)
2) Kieswetter (w + u25)
3) Gayle (O)
4) Hildreth
5) Buttler (U25)
6) Morkel (O)
7) Philander (O)
8) Gregory (U25)
9) Thomas
10) Muralitharan (O)
11) Dockrell (U25)

Overseas - Gayle, Morkel, Murali, Philander
U25 - Kieswetter, Buttler, Gregory, Dockrell

Things haven't worked in the last 2 games so Gayle drops to 3 in order to make and unexpected move against the opposition Kieswetter and Tres being used to each others batting will look to get us off to a good start allowing a platform for Gayle to come in on, after that Hildreth who has been in good form in T20 for Somerset. With the Taunton pitch as it usually is there shouldn't be a need for Trott as well so he is sacraficed to allow for an extra bowler.

Buttler will look to pace his innings as he usually does and Morkel can provide fireworks if needed. Philander, Thomas and Gregory can all give the ball a good hit as well.

Bowling wise

Thomas - 1, 6, 18, 20
Dockrell - 2, 4, 12, 14
Philander - 3, 5, 7
Morkel - 8, 10, 19
Muralithran - 11, 13, 15, 17
Gregory - 9, 16

extra options - Gayle

Using 6 bowlers this week in an attempt to not let Surrey batsman settle. Thomas and Dockrell are both good restricting bowlers to start the innings in an attempt to boost the run rate hopefully with Surrey chasing. Murali will look to put a clamp on in the middle overs, then wicket takers in Gregory, Morkel and Philander, with of course Thomas and Dockrell.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon 09 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

Awesome cheers Hodge Very Happy

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 09 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm

Nottinghamshire Outlaws Vs Leics

Alex Hales
David Warner
Michael Lumb
AB De Villiers
James Taylor
Morne Van Wyk
Samit Patel
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Pat Cummins
Lasith Malinga

Toss: Bat first. Get a huge total up, and then squeeze with my bowlers.

Bowling: I will open up with a one over burst from Malinga who might not extract the bounce from the pitch because of his slingy action, but his raw pace will cause damage. From the other end Pat Cummins will open up and he is rapid and will love this pitch. Then I have Broad to bowl, a quick hit the deck bowlers who will really enjoy bowling on ths wicket as it will play to their strengths. Swann will also enjoy the bounce, and Patel will rattle through his overs in the middle with Swann and try to rush the batsman. Broad and Malinga to return at the death.

Malinga - 1, 16, 18, 20
Cummins - 2, 4, 6, 15
Broad - 3, 5, 17, 19
Swann - 7, 9, 11, 13
Patel - 8, 10, 12, 14

Batting: Basically, play their natural games. Alex Hales will go hard early on like he always does. David Warner has grown up on pitches like this in Aus, so is used to it and will cope with it fine. Lumb has got back to form this year and is decent nick so will just keep going. Then I have one of the best T20 batsmen in the world to come, in AB, and he will know how to pace a chase. Taylor can rotate the strike well and being short will love the bounce. Van Wyk is my finisher and will close it out when needed. And Patel can bat well for a number 7. Even my tail can blast a bit with the likes of Broad, Swann etc. but hopefully it will not come to that!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Wed 11 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

Yorkshire Team vs Lancashire

1. Sehwag
2. Denly
3. R.Sharma
4. Duminy
5. Dhoni (w)
6. Moeen Ali
7. A.Mahmood
8. Rashid
9. Bresnan
10. Shahzad
11. Warne (c)

Toss: Bowl. Let the seamers take advantage of the early swing.

Batting: Sehwag will play his natural game and go after the opening bowlers. Denly will play a bit safer and look to get set before attacking himself. Rohit, Duminy and Dhoni will play aggressively or a bit more conservatively depending on the match situation. They are all good enough players to do this. Ali and Mahmood will look to come in at the end and hit out from ball one. The whole batting line up can clear the ropes on their day.

Bowling: Bresnan and Shahzad will take the new ball and look to extract early swing. Mahmood will come on first change and bowl a couple of overs. Warne and Rashid along with part timer Duminy will look to control the middle overs before Bresnan and Shahzad return at the death.

Over allocation:

Bresnan 1,3,17,19.
Shahzad 2,4,18,20.
Mahmood 5,7.
Rashid 6,8,10,12.
Warne 9,11,14,16.
Duminy 13,15.

Sehwag, Ali and Rohit could also bowl if required.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Tactics for all sides that failed to post in time:

Essex Eagles:

1) Sachin Tendulkar
2) Shahid Afridi (c)
3) Owais Shah
4) Ryan Ten Doeschate
5) Joe Gatting
6) Dinesh Chandimal