The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs lancashire match thread

+3
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
7 posters

Go down

surrey vs lancashire match thread Empty surrey vs lancashire match thread

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 10 Jul 2012, 2:33 pm

Team Director Chris Adams has named a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Lancashire starting on Wednesday at Guildford.
Chris Tremlett and Zafar Ansari are named in a Championship squad for the first time this year and Kevin Pietersen is included in the squad for the match at Woodbridge Road.
The Surrey squad for the LV=County Championship match against Lancashire at Guildford on Wednesday 11th July, Thursday 12th July, Friday 13th July and Saturday 14th July :
Gareth Batty (capt)
Rory Burns
Kevin Pietersen
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies
Jason Roy
Zafar Ansari
Murali Kartik
Chris Jordan
Jon Lewis
Stuart Meaker
Chris Tremlett
Tim Linley
maybe jordan & viscount to miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs lancashire match thread Empty Re: surrey vs lancashire match thread

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

JimBob - thanks for the thread.

I agree with you that Jordan and Viscount are the two most likely to miss out. That's as long as Tremlett ''doesn't get injured getting off the bus''*.

* Corporal - who did I first hear first make that comment and about whom? Clue - it was in 1980.

Even allowing for the various departures and unavailabilities, the batting still looks light. Thought a place could have been found for Spriegs.

Churchy is taking no chances on the Guildford weather after his open air reporting in the drizzle last year. He was at the ground this morning building a commentary box - seriously! Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:40 pm

Guildford - Spriegel must be wondering what he has to do to get into the cc side. With both Batty and Kartik very likely to play I imagine that neither Ansari nor Spriegel (if selected) would have bowled much.

Church had a really uncomfortable time of it last year - certainly don't blame him for collecting up some branches, orange crates, or whatever, to keep off the worst of the rain!

Need to think about that question! We've certainly had a few bizarre injuries affecting England over the years.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:51 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Need to think about that question! We've certainly had a few bizarre injuries affecting England over the years.

Corporal - I need to be fair and give a bit more guidance here. There wasn't (to my knowledge) an actual injury caused by getting off the bus. It was a mocking comment from a celebrated pundit about a player who had a reputation for injuries. The comment was made in a sporting context but not relating to cricket. I repeat that I heard it in 1980 - that should help you and Goochie if you want to bring him in. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 Jul 2012, 11:24 pm

Guildford - hazard a guess it was Brian Clough talking about Trevor Brooking. I went to Upton Park quite a lot around that time and the fitness of Alan Devonshire and Trevor Brooking was a constant source of anxiety as it was widely know that if you hacked those two players out the game then Hammers were easy prey. Clough was particularly rude about Brooking before the 1980 FA Cup Final.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 Jul 2012, 8:54 am

Corporal - excellent effort. It was indeed Brian Clough sneering at a West Ham player - athough this time it was Stuart Pearson as he descended the team bus shortly before the 1980 FA Cup Final. I'm sure I don't need to tell you the result! Only fair to add that Pearson had a fine game as a striker cum midfielder - very innovative for the time.

As to Clough's rudeness towards Brooking, I think I've mentioned to you before his line: ''Brooking floats like a butterfly and stings like one too!''.

In the words of Churchy, til the morrow.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:41 am

Surrey won the toss and will bowl viscount & river miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

Yikes - does our late middle order really begin at 5 with an out sorts Z de B at 3?! Fingers Crossed

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

Pretty terrible day really after choosing to bowl and being heavily reliant on our bowling Lancs end 245/3. Hoping for a lot better tomorrow!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 Jul 2012, 8:20 pm

With the sun surprisingly out this morning, I managed to call in a favour and get along to Woodbridge Road for much of the day's play.

Very enjoyable as watching cricket normally is although a bad day at the office for Surrey.

Surrey won the toss but disappointingly and too defensively in my view elected to field in pretty good batting conditions. The wicket seemed true with the sun out most of the morning session.

The bowling needed to be inspired but was anything but to start with. The first ball of the match was a no ball from Tremlett (something he repeated too often throughout the day mad ). The first ball of the second over was a wide from Lewis.

Generally during the day the bowling was there or thereabouts but not particularly threatening. That for me - and I'm not just saying this based upon today - sums up Lewis; an effective bowler in bowler friendly conditions but not likely to turn things round when the batsmen are set fair.

Meaker's pace kept the batsmen on their toes and brought him a deserved couple of wickets although on a small ground it predictably also proved expensive.

Lancs were 190-2 off 57 overs before Kartik was brought back into the attack. Particularly given his early opening spell of only one over cost just a single run, that seemed a bizarre way to treat our overseas signing.

Most disappointing of all was our fielding. A dropped catch (off Tremlett) by Batty, Gary Sprake like diving from de Bruyn and sloppy glovework from Davies. Worst of all though (and just after I had praised his fielding to some good natured Lancs supporters) was an overthrow and then a couple of misfields from Roy.

The score was 200 -2 off 61 overs with the impressive Horton approaching his century amid the showers when I had to bow out.

Til the morrow. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:14 pm

Hi Guidfordbat.. glad to see that you got some cricket today.... 40 miles south of Guildford... a washout! - we had heavy rain on and off from late morning onwards... Just been chatting to the Corporal Very Happy - we're gearing ourselves for a fun day tomorrow meeting up with you all... got a feeling its going to be more fun off the pitch than on... May be a trip to the .... mug ??!!

I've promised not to bang on too much about Nannes ... I saw my first 20 20 match ever last week at the oval... Surrey v Sussex... Nannes was bowling...lets just say, I hope I don't see him bowling for Surrey again Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:02 pm

Just back from a very wet Guildford! - great to meet up with Guildfordbat, Carrotdude and the Corporal! just a shame the weather closed in a bit earlier than we'd anticipated...

I'll get in first with my report of the day! in summary.. i.m.h.o. Lancs batted well, Croft was excellent... Surrey's bowling appeared to lack penetration.. surprising that Batty did not bowl at all today... I don't see much live cricket, but 2 years ago the Corporal and I saw Tremlett bowling against Sussex at Guildford and he was superb....sadly today at least, he looked a pale shadow really.. of course after major back surgery he is no doubt feeling his way back and we do (for Surrey's sake) hope he does make a fully recovery and gets back to bowling the way he was a year or so ago.... Guildfordbat reported that Surrey's fielding was very poor yesterday... at least, some positive news to report.... fielding was good today and an excellent run out from De Brayne.. Very Happy

How much today was down to good batting or bowling that lacked penetration, is hard to say... Weather forecast implies that there might be a reasonably amount of play tomorrow and Saturday... on present form, I'd fear a bit about Surrey's ability to bat say 5 sessions without losing 20 wickets Crying or Very sad Anyway here's hoping and great to meet everyone... Very Happy A very good crowd there today as well and a nice friendly atmosphere and some good Ale

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

Chichester just beat me to it with his report...

Play rained off around 1500 after a fairly average performance from Surrey. Highlight of the day? Meeting up with Carrot, Chichester and Guildford. Cricket highlights from a Surrey perspective were a bit limited as Lancs moved onto 425 - 7, after having been put into bat yesterday. A direct hit by the Brain to run out Smith was a very sharp piece of fielding. Otherwise, you can really only point to KP's very elegant practice golf swings at mid on. Lancs will be pleased with their progress including an unbeaten century from Croft who put on over a hundred with Chapple.

Bowling mostly OK ish. Meaker rather expensive, Tremlett mostly unthreatening. In fact Tremlett looked rather stiff and, as Guildford observed, his attempt to field an on drive looked like a giraffe on ice. On another day a couple of edges at catchable height off the Brain, I think, just wide of the slips might have gone to hand. Spinners were under bowled - in fact Batty didn't bowl himself at all.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:26 pm

Just to echo the last two reports and, in particular, great to meet up with the Corporal, Chichester and Carrot.

Must do this sort of thing more often. Do hope Mike, Mad for Chelsea and any other French based posters are keeping well .... Whistle Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 12 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote: A very good crowd there today as well and a nice friendly atmosphere and some good Ale

I always think that outgrounds should be better used, particularly for one-day games. Most counties get bigger attendances at out-grounds than their main venues. There is no need to host more than a game or 2 at any one out-ground, but more should be used.

Last edited by Shelsey93 on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu 12 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

Shelsey 93... totally agree with you... from a purely nimby perspective, a 2nd game championship game at Guildford would suit me fine Very Happy
not sure Surrey would be happy though as we were discussing today,their recent record at Guildford is a poor one.. and as for that weather.. furious

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

100 for kp clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:24 pm

150 for kp clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

clap

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:32 pm

200 for kp clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:33 pm

Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:34 pm

400 up for the first time this year Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:35 pm

small tiny outground guildford, flat pitch!

however well played KP thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Jul 2012, 6:49 pm

430 for 5 at stumps kp 234*
surrey cant drop kp now can they?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

steam The 606v2 expedition to Guildford came a day too soon! I am green with envy for Guildford as I believe he was due to be attending the match today as well. But very well played KP - Kerrigan won't want to be bowling to him again in a hurry! And good too to see the Brain at last scoring strongly again. There was even a cameo from le Roi king

Spectacular fireworks from KP. Clearly I was mistaken in being critical of KP practising his golf swings during play in the Lancs innings. I look forward to descriptions of his long iron shots to fetch the ball into the Woodbridge Road. Or the chip shots leading to the ball plugging on the roof of the beer tent.... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

What do people think Surrey will do tomorrow? Declare soon-ish and have a bowl, or settle for the draw and let KP get a great-grand-daddy-hundred (300 or more!)

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:48 pm

indeed, Corporal, gutted to have missed the fireworks by 24 hrs..as you say. lets hope Guildford managed to get there today!
My prediction of Surrey being 30-2 at the end of yesterday wasn't far off the mark when I briefly checked late morning to see they were 50 -2 and I was thinking how breezy it was, and with the threat of rain... that it wouldn't have been much fun to be at Guildford today Smile how wrong could I be... imagine my astonishment when I found out that were were over 400 plus by the end of the day Very Happy

Anyway, after such a difficult past month or so, it is really good to see that we've had a good day with the bat... psychologically that must be a good thing... obviously we probably wont' see KP for much of the rest of the season... but hopefully his superb innnings will raise morale a bit and good to see the Brain scoring as well and we should stay out of the relegation spot for atleast another week! Very Happy

Not a washout forecast for tomorrow... Surrey to keep batting, maybe 600 and leaving 50 overs to bowl lancs out Very Happy
Maybe I was too hard on Surrey's bowlers yesterday....obviously it is a good pitch!!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:17 pm

Just occasionally a day is almost perfect. This was one of them.

I use the word 'almost' as it is tinged with regret that the Corporal, Chichester and Carrot were unable to share it with me.

Instead, three longstanding pals were lucky enough to accompany me this morning to Woodbridge Road. We travelled more in hope than expectation. It had rained non stop since 3pm on Thursday to the early hours of this morning which, together with a poor forecast for today, made me unsure whether we would see any cricket.

I need not have worried. The groundstaff and the early morning sun worked wonders and enabled play to start on time. The forecast proved unfounded. The only rain we had came in a ten minute burst during the lunch interval meaning play was uninterrupted for the whole day. Six miles away Mrs Bat was trying to help with a school children's sports day in pouring rain for much of the afternoon! Shocked

As for the cricket. Runs came quick and fast first thing as Lancs surprisingly delayed the declaration and set about Lewis and Meaker. Luck then went the batsmen's way as no wickets fell and 60 runs were added in just over half an hour. Possibly significant that Tremlett was not given the ball.

Something of a further surprise as two rookies in Burns and Ansari opened. Following Burns' first ball dismissal to the initially impressive Chapple, Ansari and the Brain dug in for a bit. With the loss of Ansari with the score on 49, Surrey supporters were already fearing the follow on. Again we need not have worried. There followed for the rest of the day an exquisite display of batting from Pietersen, supremely combining placement and power. At times the busiest fielders were those in the corporate tents at the railway end as fours and sixes crashed in. All the bowlers suffered but none more than poor Kerrigan. I saw Keedy - currently out of the team - watching from the balcony and almost certainly not wishing to swap places!

Pietersen initially dominated so much the scoring with Brain that of their first 50 partnership, Pietersen had scored 45 of them. Brain did up his own scoring rate after that and for a short while kept level with Pietersen. Overall, Brain batted very sensibly in providing excellent support without ever going into his shell and was unfortunate to just miss out on a deserved ton. Hopefully, this knock will do his confidence good for the rest of the season. Brain will never be a Pietersen but he could again become the mainstay of our batting.

A useful and entertaining cameo was provided by Roy as he and Pietersen took us towards 400 and - unusually and, I think, uniquely this season - full batting points.

There is now virtually no way that we can lose this match. That is quite a turnaround from yesterday and tribute to Pietersen. surrey vs lancashire match thread 1710857839

What to do next? I would be inclined to continue batting and fairly aggressively. If the weather remains kind and Pietersen stays in full flow, we could end up with a 100 plus lead to put pressure on Lancs. The only risk in that approach is that we could end up being skittled quickly and thus gift Lancs 2 more bowling points which might prove costly at the end of the season. However, I think that we have to stay positive and, now being in the ascendancy, keep on going. Pleasing though the turnaround is in this game, we almost certainly won't stay in Division One if we only draw every remaining match this season.

Finally just to emphasise that whilst the future is uncertain, today was bliss. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 13 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm

clap Many thanks for that update Guildford - providing some compensation for the rest of us missing out.... Very Happy.

Were there any signs of KP putting his golfing practice to good use?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 12:04 am

He certainly could have shouted ''Fore!'' after several of his full blooded drives to most areas! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Jul 2012, 9:27 am

guildfordbat wrote:

He certainly could have shouted ''Fore!'' after several of his full blooded drives to most areas! Very Happy
Laugh Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

I won't be there this morning - too many mundane things to do and catch up on. Might drive over this afternoon if things look interesting. Someone on the wallpaper site has suggested Pietersen should go after Lara's 500 world record! Can't see that happening but still!

Meant to mention last night - there was a lot of talk at the ground yesterday (including from one normally reliable source) that Hyphen won't play again this season.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 Jul 2012, 11:23 am

No play before lunch. Realistically, if there is any further play the chance of a positive result is more or less zero and so it would make sense for Batty to declare so that Lancs don't get any more bowling points.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 14 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

Hi everyone! Many apologies for my late arrival to this thread following our meet up on Thursday, as guildford, corporal and chichester have said it was excellent to meet up and put faces to usernames! The cricket itself was good for the first hour and then got steadily worse although after yesterday I think it's fair to assume it is a very good pitch and hard work for the bowlers so we'll forgive them I would say!

I was immensely jealous of guildford yesterday and gutted not to have been there to see KP's fireworks, hopefully yesterday should also have helped to restore some confidence to the Brain and Le Roi for future matches. I wouldn't mind us sticking with Burns and Ansari as openers as they have both been doing it throughout the summer for the seconds and university sides respectively and are worth persevering with for the rest of the season I would say, although Harinath could well come in for KP from the next game onwards which would move one of them down the order (probably Ansari).

Anyway, yesterday was a great day to be a Surrey fan for the first time in a while, hopefully we can kick on from here to the rest of the season and save our Div 1 status.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 11:45 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:No play before lunch. Realistically, if there is any further play the chance of a positive result is more or less zero and so it would make sense for Batty to declare so that Lancs don't get any more bowling points.

Corporal - totally agree. Hopes last night of pulling off a win were always at very long odds but worth considering. However, with at least one session now lost, there is simply not enough time (even with Pietersen) to catch up, take a lead and then bowl them all out. Stick with what we have and take 2 more bonus points from the game than Lancs. Not fantastic but a lot better than things looked at 3pm on Thursday! Wink

That said, it's probably 50-50 at best as to whether they get back on.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Hi everyone! Many apologies for my late arrival to this thread following our meet up on Thursday, as guildford, corporal and chichester have said it was excellent to meet up and put faces to usernames!

Carrot - apologies not necessary but good to hear from you. I was getting worried you were for ever stuck and going round and round the Guildford one way system! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

The game has just been called off. '' Just too wet'' - Churchy.

A shame but not that surprising. We actually got a fair bit more cricket than originally anticiptated.

Tomorrow should be better but that belongs to another thread. JimBob - where are you? Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

guildfordbat wrote:The game has just been called off. '' Just too wet'' - Churchy.

A shame but not that surprising. We actually got a fair bit more cricket than originally anticiptated.

Tomorrow should be better but that belongs to another thread. JimBob - where are you? Very Happy
Headscratch sorry guildford i didnt know i was doing one for the cb40 Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down