The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA.

+14
tatterd
BigTrevsbigmac
Cumbrian
munkian
Smirnoffpriest
welsh-matfield
Ozzy3213
FerN
ScarletSpiderman
Shifty
Comfort
Biltong
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA. Empty Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA.

Post by Morgannwg Tue 10 Jul 2012, 5:10 pm

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/22717.php

Wales Under 18 head coach Allan Lewis will take a development squad to South Africa in August in a new initiative to further enhance rugby development in Wales.

The side will play South Africa, England and France over an eight day period in what will be the first summer tour for Wales Under 18 since the side was created when the WRU amalgamated the Wales Youth and Welsh Schools Under 18 set-ups in 2004.
Lewis has selected a 34-man training squad which will be reduced next month after a period of training sessions. The decision to travel to South Africa and play these games was taken, in part as a result of the review undertaken following last year's Junior World Championship in Italy when Wales lost 92-0 to New Zealand and lost to Fiji.

Lewis said, "This festival of rugby will be a fantastic experience for this group of players. Not only will they gain from the training and preparation period leading up to selection in the first place, but those selected will get to play the likes of South Africa, France and England away from home in the southern hemisphere, benefitting from the whole experience both on and off the field.

"It will doubtless aid their development towards their potential inclusion in the Junior World Championship squad for next season and / or the following season as it will give the players a first, real taste of global rugby.

"Along with South Africa, France and England are two of the strongest teams in the world at age grade level, but the fact that we are playing these teams in South Africa itself will make it even more valuable, and potentially something we would like to organise on an annual basis."

The squad leaves for South Africa on Monday 6 August and returns on Sunday 19 August with games in Stellenbosch and George.

Wales Under 18 Development tour fixtures

Wales Under 18 Development XV v England - Fri Aug 10 Boland Rugby Stadium, Wellington, Stellenbosch
Wales Under 18 Development XV South Africa - Tues Aug 14 Outeniqua park Stadium, George
Wales Under 18 Development XV France - Sat Aug 18 Paul Roos School, Stellenbosch

Wales Under 18 Development XV training squad:

Forwards: Callum Jay Lewis (Blues), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys), Jack Dunning (Blues), Rhodri Evans (RGC 1404), Alex Jeffries (Dragons), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Thomas Ball (Scarlets), Ethan Lewis (Blues), Joshua Helps (Scarlets), Lance Randell (Dragons), Sean O'Rourke (Ospreys), James Sheeky (Blues), Sion Bennett (Scarlets), Scott Matthews (Dragons), James Tomlin Reeves (Ospreys), James Benjamin (Dragons), Benjamin Roach (Blues), Scott Andrews (Dragons).

Backs: Connor Lloyd (Scarlets), Gareth Rees (Scarlets), Will Batcup (Ospreys), Jack Maynard (Scarlets), Ethan Davies (Dragons), Ryan Evans (Ospreys), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets), Ben Roberts (Ospreys), Craig Woodall (Scarlets), Dylan Morgan (Scarlets), Dafydd Wyn Howells (Ospreys), Lewis Hudd (Dragons), Jake Randell (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Dragons), Dion Jones (Scarlets)

I support the initiative. But the Development XV tag is the thing that doesn't inspire me with confidence. I hope they put out the best teams available. It would have perhaps made more sense to put out a Development team against an SA club academy or College in a 'midweek fixture'.

I meant to post this sooner but it slipped my mind. I shall update this with results in August.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA. Empty Re: Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 10 Jul 2012, 8:43 pm

I can't see what's bad about this mate. Looks like a great initiative.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA. Empty Re: Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA.

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

I think this is great, there was talk after the JWC in regards to the little exposure the SA youngsters get against international teams as we don't have an U20 tri nations or quad nations.

This should be to the benefit of all the teams.

I am sure they will be televising this, so it will be great to watch.

SA is currently having the U18's Craven week, so will select their squad after that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:02 pm

Glad to see you guys are taking it seriously too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

I think it is important to do that, any advantage that we can gain against those darn Kiwi's must be grabbed with open arms.

I never believed we would beat the baby Blacks in the final, but it seems this new guy Jurie Roux in charge of SARU is leaving no stone unturned.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 11 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

Ive gotta be fair, I've been very impressed by all the news coming out of SA since Roux's appointment. He's really taken a common sense approach that seemed to be lacking beforehand. Long may he continue, anyone in his position needs all the luck and good wishes they can get!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

Yes, I agree it seems at last SARU has a professional at the helm.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 11 Jul 2012, 8:01 pm

Nobody can question the youth development going on in Welsh rugby at the moment, we have a conveyor belt of quality players coming through the ranks. Anything that gets these lads more experience and exposes them to quality coaching the better for Welsh rugby.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 11 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

Shifty wrote:Nobody can question the youth development going on in Welsh rugby at the moment, we have a conveyor belt of quality players coming through the ranks. Anything that gets these lads more experience and exposes them to quality coaching the better for Welsh rugby.

As long as we can manage to keep them in playing in Wales too. However the conveyor belt could end up with us seeing a heap of our 'not-quite the best' heading over the bridge to earn money, and tehn disappearing of the WRUs radar.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 11 Jul 2012, 9:23 pm

As I did mention (because it 'seems' that some have reading difficulties) I think the initiative is good, in fact it is excellent. I hope it continues each year and they go on to other places like Aus, NZ, Arg, Fiji, Samoa... I'm not comfortable with the development team tag, it should be a Wales tour, not development tour. Of course the development of future players is crucial (and tours like these will do just that) but that to me suggests they are not going out there looking to win all their games. You can bet the other three are.

Also, I and i'm sure others would, appreciate the perspective from England, France and Springbok supporters. Is your team playing 3 games aswell? How is your team preparing for this tour?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 11 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm

Morg, here is the news from SARU. It seems they are taking this very seriously.

SARU and the SA Schools Rugby Association have confirmed that the SA Schools team will not be named after the conclusion of the annual Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week, which will be staged from 9 to 14 July in Port Elizabeth.
According to SARU’s Nico Serfontein, Senior Manager: Club, Schools and University Development, a joint decision by SARU and the South African Schools Rugby Association (SASRA) will see a change in the selection of the SA Schools team to play in Under-18 internationals against Wales, France and England in August.

“We have opted for a change in selection strategy, where we have exposed our selectors to a broader base of players at the various Coca-Cola Youth Weeks, as well as a change in our preparation for incoming tests,” Serfontein said.

The national selectors, headed by convenor Peter Jooste and including SA Under-20 coach, Dawie Theron, will also provide input in addition to the alignment with SARU’s High Performance program.

A group of 44 players will be announced as the SA Schools High Performance Group at the completion of the Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week in Port Elizabeth, on July 14.

This extended group of players will play a set of trials on 28 July and the squad will then be trimmed to 28 players. The SA Schools team to play in the three Under-18 internationals will then be selected from this final group of 28.

Furthermore, the SA Schools Coach and SA Schools Manager will be named on 14 July. Candidates had to apply for these positions and they will be shortlisted according to specific criteria such as being a teacher and an accredited coach, according to Serfontein.

Candidates will undergo an interview process involving a panel made up by SASRA and SARU representatives . These interviews will take place during the Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week in PE and candidates will have to present an operational plan for the six week run-up to the series.

In his reaction to the adjustment of the selection process, Craig van Niekerk, Coca-Cola SA Marketing Asset Manager, said: “Apart from encouraging the young rugby players to live active and healthy lifestyles, the Coca-Cola Youth Weeks give talented players the opportunity to be selected for the SA Schools team. To ensure our rugby remains at the current high competitive level, the best players must be found and Coca-Cola, sponsors of the SA Schools team, will work with the organisers to ensure the best team is selected.”
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:46 am

I think this is good news for all the teams involved.

Just on the first article having stayed in Stellenbosch for a few years. Wellington is a separate town about 50-60km away from Stellenbosch.

I haven't watch any Craven Week rugby, but I suspect we will be in a good position as our players will be match fit.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

Bitlong, that sounds similar to what the WRU recently put in place. We call in the Elite Pathways System. Our youngsters play at rugby festivals (fifteens, tens, sevens) and these act as squad selections for the Regions; which in turn act as feeders to Wales U16.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/development/ministomillennium/index.php
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA. Empty SA U18 squad anounced for England, Wales and France.

Post by Biltong Sun 29 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

Courtesy of Supersport.

SARU has announced the SA Schools squad of 28 players after a set of trial matches at the Barnard Stadium in Kempton Park on Saturday.

South Africa’s best schoolboy players will be in action in three internationals against European opposition in August when they face the Under-18 teams of England, Wales and France.

The top 50 players from the Craven week had been assembled and three teams of 15 players were selected to play trial matches, there after the best thirty were selected to play another trial match, the players were taken out of their comfort zone and only given an hour to get to know one another before their matchs.

Powerful Blue Bulls prop Pierre Schoeman is the captain and SA Under-20 flyhalf Handre Pollard the vice-captain.

The 28-man SA Schools squad was selected from an initial group of 50 players chosen after the recent Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week in Port Elizabeth.

Peter Jooste, convener of the national selectors, said he was satisfied with the group of talented young players. “These players were selected following their consistent good performances during the Coca-Cola Under-18 Craven Week. The final selection was very difficult because we had so many good players in the enlarged group of 50 players.

“The selectors are therefore satisfied that we have selected the best possible SA Schools squad. They will now get the chance to show their ability against international opposition and to play themselves into contention for call-up to the SA Under-20 trials which will start in November.”

The SA Schools international fixtures are:
10 Aug vs. France – Wellington
14 Aug vs. Wales – George
18 Aug vs. England - venue tbc

The SA Schools Squad is:

Forwards:
Aidon Davis (Eastern Province)
Daniel du Preez (KwaZulu-Natal)
Jean-Luc du Preez (KwaZulu-Natal)
Francois Esterhuizen (Boland)
Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg (Blue Bulls)
Gideon Koegelenberg (Boland)
Wilco Louw (Boland)
Thabo Mabuza (Blue Bulls)
Malcolm Marx (Golden Lions)
Ox Nche (Free State)
Abongile Nonkontwana (Blue Bulls)
JD Schickerling (Western Province)
Pierre Schoeman (Blue Bulls - captain)
Chad Solomon (Western Province)
Dayan van der Westhuizen (Blue Bulls)
Jano Venter (Pumas)

Backline:
Ryno Eksteen (Blue Bulls)
Warrick Galant (SWD)
Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Blue Bulls)
Jesse Kriel (KwaZulu-Natal)
Sandile Khubeka (KwaZulu-Natal)
Jurie Linde (Blue Bulls)
Matjikinyane Molapo (Blue Bulls)
Sergeal Petersen (Eastern Province)
Justin Phillips (Blue Bulls)
Handre Pollard (Western Province - vice-captain)
Akhona Sihunu (Border)
Duhan van der Merwe (SWD)

Team Manager: David Coert (Boland)
Head Coach: Chris October (Western Province)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 29 Jul 2012, 7:22 pm

Any of these that we should be looking at to burst onto the Currie Cup or even Super Xv stage in the next couple of years Biltong? (Obviously Pollard, but any others)
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 29 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

Ozzy from what I read earlier the Bulls have signed twenty six Craven week players.

Ryno Eksteen signed for Western Province after the Bulls signed Handre Pollard
Jesse Kriel signed with the Bulls
Wilco Louw has signed for the Bulls
R janse van Rensburg have signed for the Bulls
Thabo Mbuza has signed for the Bulls
N Janse van Rensburg has signed for the Bulls
Pierre Schoeman has signed for the Bulls
Dayan v d Westhuizen has signed for the Bulls

Unfortunately I don't have info for the other provinces, but I can assure you they will all have been signed.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 30 Jul 2012, 12:47 am

I did a thread on the Wales tour of SA a couple weeks ago Bil, why is it SA schools? Is that different from SA U18?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 30 Jul 2012, 5:52 am

No Morg same difference! I suppose it is because it comes from Craven week
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 05 Aug 2012, 3:40 pm

A few people have talked about this tour lately, so I'm bringing the thread back up. No updates yet, apart from this video clip: http://supporters.wru.co.uk/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=12476
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Sun 05 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

the squad is actually an incredibly strong one. Hallam amos has played for the dragons in the LV cup and i recognise james tomlin reeves, ryan evans & will batcup who have had swansea RFC experience. In fact, James was player of the month in the principality premiership, although perhaps his name is Joe. http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/club/principalitypremiership/21631.php

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 05 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

We are taking youth rugby very seriously and we are seeing the results of it too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 10:56 am

(only just seen this thred morg, thanks for pointing it out)
I don't see a problem with the use of the word Development, the SA use it as well, and it's clear that the aim of tours like this (and the U18s set up) is to develop the players and get them competitve at this level so that they are ready to make the step up to U20s, regional and international levels.

I think by the mere fact that we are taking part in this tour, as well as the other structures in place to aid development, shows that we are taking it seriously and want to be competitive. Just because we are looking to develop our best U18 players doesn't stop this.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

Amos could be a great player for the Dragons - he helped beat Wasps away last season.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 06 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

From the little I saw of him last season he does look very promising - Roblin, , Amos, Dixon, Prydie, Steffan Jones, that's an impressive and young backline for the Dragons for next season.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Aug 2012, 5:30 pm

Some players putting their hands up from the Gwent XV too from what I've read
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

yes i read the same...

wonder how far the gustafson at hooker will go?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 07 Aug 2012, 8:50 am

All the way hopefully drumroll
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Merged thread. Wales U18, SA U18, England U18, France U18 tournament in SA. Empty England U18's Tour to South Africa

Post by Cumbrian Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:47 am

Found this on the Northampton Saints website:

Four members of the Saints Academy are on their way to South Africa with England Under-18s for a three-match tour.

Alan Dickens: "The trip will be good for the players' development and we will be building on the experience with them during the season" Prop Danny Hobbs and centre Tom Stephenson, who both joined up with the Saints Senior Academy this summer at the start of their full-time contracts, have been chosen by England head coach John Fletcher.
Also making the trip are Junior Saints Academy backs Sam Olver (fly half; Oundle School) and Howard Packman (wing; Moulton College).

The Saints quartet are part of a 26-man squad which will play three games in eight days against Wales, France and hosts South Africa.

Academy manager Alan Dickens says that a trip like this can give the players a good step up in their development ahead of the new season.

"South Africa is a great place to play rugby," he said. "A trip like this is certainly good for their development. All four played England Under-18 rugby last season and heading on tour for three tough games can give them a good boost before the season gets underway. "We'll certainly look to build on this experience with them during the season ahead."

ENGLAND UNDER-18 SQUAD TO TOUR SOUTH AFRICA
Forwards
Stephen Uren (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
Joel Conlon (Ivybridge Community College) (Exeter Chiefs)
Charlie Ewels (Bryanston School) (Bath Rugby)
Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
David Hughes (Twyford C& E High School) (London Wasps) http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/englandunder18/david%20hughes
Maro Itoje (Harrow School) (Saracens)
Sam James (Bishops Stortford) (Saracens) http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/englandunder18/samjames
Gus Jones (Eton College) (London Wasps)
Alex Lundberg (Hampton) (London Wasps)
Ross Moriarty (Hartpury College) (Gloucester)
Jake Oldaker (Wellington College) (Bath Rugby)
Harry Rudkin (Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth 1st) (Leicester Tigers)
Harry Thacker (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
Biyi Alo (Haileybury College) (Saracens) http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/englandunder18/biyialo

Backs
Callum Braley (Hartpury College) (Bristol Rugby)
Billy Burns (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)
Nick Carpenter (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
George Catchpole (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
Ollie Claxton (Bromsgrove School) (Unattached)
Nathan Earle (Oaklands) (Saracens)
Zach Kibirige (Yarm School) (Newcastle Falcons)
Sam Olver (Oundle School) (Northampton Saints)
Howard Packman (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
Nick Tompkins (Oaklands) (Saracens) http://www.rfu.com/squadsandplayers/englandunder18/nicktompkins
Josh Watkins (Bromsgrove School) (Worcester Warriors)

Game schedule
England U18 v Wales U18 - August 10th, Wellington
England U18 v France U18 - August 14th, George
South Africa U18 v England U18 - August 18th, Cape Town

It's not on the RFU site yet, which explains the Saints slant on things. There are a few new guys who have been added to the squad, but I don't really know all that much about them.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:28 am

Here is a little more showing the itinerary -

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) Under-18 Programme gives the National Under-18 squads of SA, England, France and Wales a chance to meet in a beautiful, rugby-mad part of the world.

These international friendlies will take place in three provincial rugby unions under the auspices of SARU - Boland, South Western Districts and WP Rugby Unions.

Fixtures:

10 August, 2012
SA Schools v France Under-18s
England Under-18s v Wales Under-18s

14 August, 2012
SA Schools v Wales Under-18s
England Under-18s v France Under-18s

18 August, 2012:    
SA Schools v England Under-18s
Wales Under-18s v France Under-18s

The South African Under-18 team which will play under the banner of the SA Schools team for 2012 will be accommodated at the Stellenbosch Academy of Sport (SAS) in Stellenbosch - which is also home to the SA Under-20 and Springbok Sevens teams.

Included in the Programme are SARU Legacy initiatives which are aimed at allowing the competing teams to interact with aspiring school rugby players and participate in coaching clinics at the various schools across the Western Cape.   

Legacy activation dates:
7 August 2012: WP Rugby and Boland Rugby Schools Regions
12 August 2012: South Western Districts Rugby Schools Region

Itinerary:

5 August 2012
SA Schools,  England, France and Wales arrive before assembly at Stellenbosch Academy of Sport (SAS).  

6 August
Training day for all four teams.
Welcoming function for the four management teams.

7 August
Legacy Programme - All Four teams to participate in Legacy activities at four different schools in the Western Cape.

8 August

9 August   
Captains' runs for all four teams.
Rest of the day at leisure.
Sightseeing in Cape Town and surroundings.
Official Capping Ceremony of the SA Schools squad at SAS.

10 August   
SA Schools v France at the Boland Rugby Stadium in Wellington
England v Wales at the Boland Rugby Stadium in Wellington

11 August
Travel day: All four teams to travel by coach from Cape Town/Stellenbosch to George along the Garden Route.

12 August
Legacy activation featuring all four teams visiting four different schools in the George Region.

13 August
Captains runs for all four teams.
Sightseeing in George and surroundings.

14 August
SA Schools v Wales at Outeniqua Park in George
England v France at Outeniqua Park in George

15 August   
Travel day: All four teams travel by coach back to Cape Town/Stellenbosch.

16 August 2012    

17 August
Captains runs for all four teams.
End of tour official function at the Middelvlei Wine Estate in Stellenbosch.

18 August
SA Schools v England Under-18 at Newlands. Attend the Nations Championship match between the Springboks and Argentina. Wales v France at the Markötter Field, Paul Roos in Stellenbosch

19 August
Departure from SAS to Cape Town International in preparation of flights to domestic destinations.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

I think I am going to merge all the articles related to the U18 tournament in SA, we currently have one for each country.

thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Aug 2012, 9:38 am

will merge this one as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 08 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

Merged without my permission?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

It's just easier Morg, otherwise there is no central point to discuss the tournament. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:49 am

The tournament kicks off today:

England vs Wales 15h00 SA time
SA vs France 17h00 SA time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:55 am

Thanks. Post some updates if you can, I will keep an eye on the WRU web-site (though I suspect the SA one may be updated sooner?).
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 8:56 am

I'll do comments during the games for you guys.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

what time doesthe eng v wales game kick off?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

16h00 UK time
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

cheers bilt

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 1:54 pm

Bad news boys, Supersport is not broadcasting it live.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 10 Aug 2012, 4:14 pm

Interested to see how Thacker the young English hooker is getting on, he made his debut in the LV Cup against Quins last season. Must be one of our youngest ever frontrowers clearly he Tigers management team rate him so it's good to see his continuing involvement with the England 18s.

According to the Tigers website he is starting with his academy team mate Rudkin alongside him at tighthead.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

England win 28-25

http://www.rfu.com/news/2012/august/newsarticles/100812_under18_wales_win

A first-half try from captain Gus Jones set England Under 18 on the way to a tense 28-25 win against Wales in Wellington, South Africa.

Second-half scores from Saracens wing Nathan Earle and Exeter Chiefs No. 8 Joel Conlon had given England a 28-8 lead, but three quick tries from Wales ensured a tense finale.

England beat their northern hemisphere rivals Wales 22-16 earlier in the season, and Head Coach John Fletcher was just as delighted to get the win this time around.

“We played well in the first half," he said. "We played the territory game and we were pleased to go in ahead at the break. Wales are a good side, they were dangerous all match and played some good rugby.

“The second half was tough, we came out and scored two good tries, but as the game progressed Wales pushed on and scored three in quick succession. They built momentum, their kicks came off, we lost some of our defensive shape and we had to hang on towards the end.

“We made a lot of substitutions which sometimes changes the pace of the game but ultimately we are delighted to get the win. There’s a lot to work on, but this is our first game together for a while.

"France are up next and we’ll have to up our game for that one, they’re a big, strong side but we have something to gauge ourselves on now and we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

England points: Gus Jones 1T, Nathan Earle 1T, Joel Conlon 1T, Billy Burns 3P, 1C, Sam Olver 1C.

England Under 18 side against Wales
15 Zach Kibirige (Yarm School) (Newcastle Falcons)
14 Nathan Earle (Oaklands College) (Saracens)
13 Tom Stephenson (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
12 Nick Carpenter (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
11 Joshua Watkins (Bromsgrove School) (Worcester Warriors)
10 Billy Burns (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)
9 Callum Braley (Hartpury College) (Bristol Rugby)

1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Moulten College) (Northampton Saints)
2 Harry Thacker (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
3 Harry Rudkin (Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth 1st) (Leicester Tigers)
4 Maro Itoje (Harrow School) (Saracens)
5 Charlie Ewels (Bryanston School) (Bath Rugby)
6 Ross Moriarty (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)
7 Gus Jones (Eton College) (London Wasps)
8 Joel Conlon (Ivybridge Community College) (Exeter Chiefs)

Replacements
16 Alex Lundberg (Hampton) (London Wasps)on for Danny Hobbs 17 Sam James (Bishops Stortford) (Saracens) on for Harry Thacker
18 Biyi Alo (Haileybury College) (Saracens) on for Harry Rudkin
19 Jake Oldaker (Wellington College) (Bath Rugby) on for Ross Moriarty
20 David Hughes (Twyford C&E High School) (London Wasps) on for Charlie Ewels
21 Stephen Uren (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
22 Ollie Claxton (Adams Grammar School) (Unattached) on for Callum Braley
23 Sam Olver (Oudle School) (Northampton Saints) on for Billy Burns
24 Nick Tompkins (Oaklands College) (Saracens) on for Joshua Watkins

Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 10 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

Sounds like a good game
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:52 pm

Courtesy of Sport24

SA Schools clinch opener

Wellington - The SA Schools scored three tries to one to record a deserved 17-7 victory over France Under-18 in their Under-18 International Series at the Hugenote High School in Wellington on Friday afternoon.

The teams were level at 7-all at halftime.

England did just enough to beat Wales 28-25 in an exciting, open encounter after leading 16-8 at the interval.

The South African schoolboys made a bright start against their more experienced visitors and took the lead as early as the third minute when livewire right wing, Sergeal Petersen, raced through untouched to score from a clever set piece. Flyhalf, Handre Pollard, slotting over the easy conversion.

Petersen was a threat throughout with his support play and especially his turn of speed when in possession. Strong inside centre Rohan Janse van Rensburg also had a fine outing and rounded off a good performance for the home team when he scored their third try with just minutes remaining on the clock.

The SA Schools’ performance was indicative of a team playing together for the first time.  Their macro pack of forwards gave them a solid platform upfront, but they were far too eager to run the ball whereas a few extra phases would have been a better option.

France slowly clawed their way back into the match after they were forced to tackle for much of the first half. Hooker Romain Ruffenach crashed over beneath a heap of bodies following a maul to level matters at the break.

Grey PE flyer Petersen continued his impressive performance in the second half and he was prominent on the attack alongside Janse van Rensburg and left wing Duhan van der Merwe.

Three minutes after the restart burly prop Dayan van der Westhuizen scored the SA Schools’ second try after France hardly had a touch following the kick-off.  However, the home team spilled a couple of tries with handling errors but did manage to keep the French youngsters busy by launching several waves of attacks.

The sturdy Janse van Rensburg got his deserved try with just under two minutes remaining on the clock when he finally managed to breach the overworked French defence to score near the corner.

The next round of fixtures will be played on Tuesday, 14 August in George, when England U18 play against France U18 and the SA Schools team tackle Wales U18.

Peter Jooste, head of the SA selectors, said he was reasonably pleased with the performance of the SA Schools team. “They deserve their win against a team that has played together many times. Our boys will get better as the series progress and I am looking forward to the next match against Wales Under-18.

“Our forwards need to work on some aspects and the cohesion was lacking at times, but that is understandable. The backs showed a lot of initiative and creativity,” said Jooste. 

Scorers:
SA Schools 17 (7): Tries: Sergeal Petersen (right wing), Dayan van der Westhuizen (prop) and Rohan Janse van Rensburg (inside centre); Conversion: Handre Pollard (flyhalf)
France Under-18 7 (7): Try:  Romain Ruffenach (hooker); Conversion: Yohan le Bourhis (flyhalf).

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:20 pm

Sounds like a tough competition. Well played England and SA.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon 13 Aug 2012, 10:42 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Here is a little more showing the itinerary -

The South African Rugby Union (SARU) Under-18 Programme gives the National Under-18 squads of SA, England, France and Wales a chance to meet in a beautiful, rugby-mad part of the world.

These international friendlies will take place in three provincial rugby unions under the auspices of SARU - Boland, South Western Districts and WP Rugby Unions.

Fixtures:

10 August, 2012
SA Schools v France Under-18s
England Under-18s v Wales Under-18s

14 August, 2012
SA Schools v Wales Under-18s
England Under-18s v France Under-18s

18 August, 2012:    
SA Schools v England Under-18s
Wales Under-18s v France Under-18s

Is there is a definitive website for the tour?

If not can this itinerary be crowbarred into the OP? Biltong?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:11 am

The England team to play France:

15 Howard Packman (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
14 Zach Kibirige (Yarm School) (Newcastle Falcons)
13 Nick Tompkins (Oaklands College) (Saracens)
12 Tom Stephenson (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints) (C)
11 Joshua Watkins (Bromsgrove School) (Worcester Warriors)

10 Sam Olver (Oundle School) (Northampton Saints)
9 Ollie Claxton (Adams Grammar School) (Unattached)

1 Alex Lundberg (Hampton) (London Wasps)
2 Sam James (Bishops Stortford) (Saracens)
3 Biyi Alo (Haileybury College) (Saracens)
4 Jake Oldaker (Wellington College) (Bath Rugby)
5 David Hughes (Twyford C&E High School) (London Wasps)
6 Maro Itoje (Harrow School) (Saracens)
7 Steve Uren (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
8 Joel Conlon (Ivybridge Community College) (Exeter Chiefs)
Replacements

16 Gus Jones (Eton College) (London Wasps)
17 Harry Thacker (Leicester Grammar) (Leicester Tigers)
18 Charlie Ewels (Bryanston School) (Bath Rugby)
19 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Moulton College) (Northampton Saints)
20 Callum Braley (Hartpury College) (Bristol Rugby)
21 Nick Carpenter (Filton College) (Bristol Rugby)
22 Billy Burns (Hartpury College) (Gloucester Rugby)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

Captain Pierre Schoeman (prop, Affies) is one of four forwards who were retained for the match, alongside towering lock JD Schickerling (Paarl Gym), Thabo Mabuza (Centurion) and Jano Venter (HTS Middelburg).

Strong inside centre Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Waterkloof) and right wing Sergeal Petersen (Grey PE) are the only two survivors in an otherwise new backline, which will also see local player Warrick Gelant (fullback, Outeniqua HS) wearing the Green and Gold in front of his home crowd.

The South Africans beat France 17-7 in their first match in Wellington last Friday.

According to SA Schools coach, Chris October, it was always on the cards to rotate the players for the second match. “The changes were always part of the plan but we are confident that we will have good combinations in those areas of change. We had a good few sessions since Friday’s match and the boys are looking forward to play at Outeniqua Park which is such a good venue.”

October added the team learnt several lessons against France Under-18 in Wellington and that they have worked hard in training in an effort to correct those errors.

“We missed several scoring opportunities because of a lack of cohesion and our sometimes unwillingness to be more patient at times when the situation demanded it. Our hard work on defence kept the French side at bay for most of the match, but we will have to be much more clinical in our execution and our decision making against Wales.

“The Welsh showed in the second half what they are capable of and they ran England very close on Friday. Their set-pieces are good and they are not afraid to use the width of the field when on the attack, so we will have to be very alert in our defensive approach,” added October.

The SA Schools team versus Wales Under-18 in George on Tuesday:

15. Warrick Gelant (Outeniqua HS)
14. Sergeal Petersen (Grey HS PE)
13. Jurie Linde (Affies)
12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg (Waterkloof, vice-captain)
11. Matjikinyane Molapo (Ben Vorster)
10. Ryno Eksteen (Affies)
9. Akhona Sihunu (Dale College)
8. Jano Venter (HTS Middelburg)
7. Daniël du Preez (Kearsney College)
6. Thabo Mabuza (Centurion)
5. JD Schickerling (Paarl Gym)
4. Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg (Affies)
3. Wilco Louw (HTS Drostdy)
2. Chad Solomon (Paul Roos)
1. Pierre Schoeman (Affies, captain)

Replacements:
16. Francois Esterhuizen (Overberg)
17. Dayan van der Westhuizen (Centurion)
18. Ox Nche (Louis Botha)
19. Abongile Nonkontwana (St Albans College)
20. Jean-Luc Du Preez (Kearsney College)
21. Justin Philips (Waterkloof)
22. Handré Pollard (Paarl Gym)
23. Jesse Kriel (Maritzburg College)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 14 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

Anyone got the Wales team?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 14 Aug 2012, 12:02 pm

Wales U18s (vs South Africa Schools, Tuesday 14 August): 15 Hallam Amos 14 Ashley Evans 13 Steffan Hughes 12 Ben Roberts 11 Dafydd Howells 10 Jack Maynard 9 Conner Lloyd 8 Ben Roach (c) 7 Scott Matthews 6 Sion Bennett 5 Lance Randell 4 Josh Helps 3 Nicky Thomas 2 Ethan Lewis 1 Callum Lewis

Replacements: Tom Ball, Jack Dunning, Alex Jeffries, James Sheeky, James Benjamin, Joel Raikes, Craig Woodall, Ryan Evans
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next