The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edge Retires

+27
greggschickenbake
theanimal316
Jammy31
JoshSansom
Miz NG
Cymru1991
more_awesome_than_a_ri
Sara
The Awesome Giz
Kay Fabe
ncfc_Tooze
David Tails
davidl1061
liverbnz
ADMIN
Perry Groves is my dad
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Adam D
The Dashing One
The-Rizz
Enforcer
Holymiky
bernard black
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
TopoftheChops
Bull
31 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Edge Retires - Page 2 Empty Edge Retires

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 9:06

First topic message reminder :

Here is WWE's official statement on Edge retiring from WWE:

"Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns.

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI in Atlanta last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death."

Back to top Go down

Edge Retires - Page 2 Empty Re: Edge Retires

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Apr - 13:41

was that goldust out of makeup backstage?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 13:42

Yeah it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr - 13:55

It was a pretty strange line-up of people to say the least.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 13:57

Orton was there, as was Barrett, Punk was stood next to Maryse i think, just out of shot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr - 14:01

What makes you say that Y2 mate?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr - 14:06

Ah fair enough guys, I haven't watched it yet, only read the results this morning and it only mentioned Dolph Ziggler, Goldust, Mark Henry, Natalya, Gail Kim, Khali and Yoshi Tatsu.

Was thinking to myself "What the hell kind of send-off is that?!?" laughing

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 12 Apr - 14:33

Really sad news as he was such a great competitor.

Looking beyond this though a few thoughts spring to mind:

a) Where would you rank him in terms of modern day wrestling greats?
b) Where do the WWE find a No. 1 guy face replacement from?
c) With this potentially Taker and HHH's last years as well will this change WWE thinking?
d) Will it speed Miz's likely transition to face more?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 14:40

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:Ah fair enough guys, I haven't watched it yet, only read the results this morning and it only mentioned Dolph Ziggler, Goldust, Mark Henry, Natalya, Gail Kim, Khali and Yoshi Tatsu.

Was thinking to myself "What the hell kind of send-off is that?!?" laughing

That's the people he hugged or shook hands with!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 14:42

Well HHH/Cena/Christian/Kane weren't there on camera Miz was another and it would be nice to see Taker acknowledge him since they had a brilliant and storied past

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 14:43

the-gaffer wrote:Well HHH/Cena/Christian/Kane weren't there on camera Miz was another and it would be nice to see Taker acknowledge him since they had a brilliant and storied past

Cena acknowledged him after, Christian will no doubt do it tonight and i would imagine 'Taker will do something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 14:44

You can tell that he and Dolph must have had a blast working together the way Dolph hugged him

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 14:45

the-gaffer wrote:You can tell that he and Dolph must have had a blast working together the way Dolph hugged him

Yeah i noticed Edge went to walk on but Dolph pulled him back! Khali seemed pretty genuine as did Tatsu.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 12 Apr - 14:50

the-gaffer wrote:Well HHH/Cena/Christian/Kane weren't there on camera Miz was another and it would be nice to see Taker acknowledge him since they had a brilliant and storied past

Isn't it possibly because Taker was wiped out at Mania? Stretchered out and all that? I might have missed it...but we haven't heard from him since then have we?

I do agree though...it would be great to see Taker say something.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Edge Retires - Page 2 Empty WWE Quiz

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 14:51

King Beer wrote:

Cena acknowledged him after, Christian will no doubt do it tonight and i would imagine 'Taker will do something.
Cena acknowledged him BEFORE he made the announcement and I know Christian will say something on SD! but thought he would have been on camera behind the curtain same gods with Cena, no big deal just an observation

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by bernard black Tue 12 Apr - 14:51

Ziggler was understandable since he has worked with Edge and he's never been a particularly vicious heel. Barrett applauding Edge was completely out of character though!!

bernard black

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 14:56

the-gaffer wrote:
King Beer wrote:

Cena acknowledged him BEFORE he made the announcement and I know Christian will say something on SD! but thought he would have been on camera behind the curtain same gods with Cena, no big deal just an observation

I would imagine Christian wanted it to be about Edge and not get involved, likewise with Cena, i know there was the handshake and head nod.

As i said earlier, the whole thing was impromptu, he was literally given the mic and told to go out however he wanted.

Ziggler was understandable since he has worked with Edge and he's never been a particularly vicious heel. Barrett applauding Edge was completely out of character though!!

People were allowed to break Kayfabe. In the same way they did for Flair!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Tue 12 Apr - 15:03

Thank You Edge for everything you've done in your career. It's been brilliant growing up watching you perform and you've had some of the most memorable moments in the WWE. I loved every jaw dropping moment especially the spear from the ladder. Im glad that you are retiring and walking out instead of a wheelchair.

Thank you Rated-R Superstar.
Thank you Edge
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:05

I dont think Christian or Cena being behind the curtain would have took anything away from Edges moment, the promo was unscripted but it was an hour into the show, so it was hardly impromtu, it was planned and promoted from the first minute

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 12 Apr - 15:07

the-gaffer wrote:I dont think Christian or Cena being behind the curtain would have took anything away from Edges moment, the promo was unscripted but it was an hour into the show, so it was hardly impromtu, it was planned and promoted from the first minute

It always kind of ruins it for me when they basically give the secret away beforehand. It was like Bobby Heenan yapping on when Hogan turned and formed the nWo.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 12 Apr - 15:09

Will miss him, good luck to him. I think he is one of those guys who will be able to have a great retirement and he won't turn up wrestlign in TNA or the indies.

My 2 fav Edge runs where his bag face run at the time when he had Rob Zombies entrance music, and of course the birth of the Rated R Superstar.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 12 Apr - 15:12

Just a question... The modern tradition in WWE has guys breaking kayfabe and saying goodbye to the crowd etc. Is this a modern thing? Did Michaels do it after he left (the first time)? What about other guys further back?

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:14

I didn't expect it even when they did promote it, I thought it would be a work for sure

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 15:21

the-gaffer wrote:I dont think Christian or Cena being behind the curtain would have took anything away from Edges moment, the promo was unscripted but it was an hour into the show, so it was hardly impromtu, it was planned and promoted from the first minute

Maybe not for you, but they may have felt otherwise. And who's to say that everyone knew? Granted the announcers alluded to it but there was no mention online until he actually announced it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:30

The dirts wouldn't run with it until they where sure it wasn't a work thats why their was no mention online before the actual announcement, how could the feel otherwise? Orton was there. What character would most likely be there Orton or Cena? And if they're breaking kayfabe then why would it be ok to show heels but not genuine friends and certain faces

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 15:31

the-gaffer wrote:The dirts wouldn't run with it until they where sure it wasn't a work thats why their was no mention online before the actual announcement, how could the feel otherwise? Orton was there. What character would most likely be there Orton or Cena? And if they're breaking kayfabe then why would it be ok to show heels but not genuine friends and certain faces

They may have been busy getting ready for matches? They may have been further down the line. I suggested that's why they weren't there.

Back to top Go down

Post by greggschickenbake Tue 12 Apr - 15:34

As tragic as this is for Edge and for the WWE, maybe this (in sad circumstances) is what Christian needs to become a main event player. Without Edge in the main event fray anymore, this leaves another shortage of established main event faces. This could be the beginning of a possible Christian push/title reign. Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.

Thank you Edge for your years of service. Definitely deserves a happy retirement.

greggschickenbake

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Tue 12 Apr - 15:42

If Taker does anything to acknowledge Edge it will most likely be after the cameras have stopped rolling at the end of the Smackdown taping, much like he did for Ric Flair. That's even if he's at Smackdown considering he's 'selling the beating from Wrestlemania'.

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:44

Cena was in the next match and Truth, Orton Morrison and Ziggler were in that match and they where on screen, I already said its no big deal its just an observation

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 15:44

the-gaffer wrote:Cena was in the next match and Truth, Orton Morrison and Ziggler were in that match and they where on screen, I already said its no big deal its just an observation

I know, you're just an argumentative pain in the ass!!! boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:47

Yeah Y2 I doubt Taker will do anything because hes on his usual break but maybe he'll comeback for one night for Edge

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Tue 12 Apr - 15:49

I'm gonna miss Edge, just the sound of his entrance music.

"You think you know me"

"On this day, i see clearlyyyy, everything has come to life"

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Edge Retires - Page 2 Empty WWE Quiz

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 15:50

King Beer wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:Cena was in the next match and Truth, Orton Morrison and Ziggler were in that match and they where on screen, I already said its no big deal its just an observation

well you seem to have an issue with everything I say so I like to give you the attention you desire

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 15:56

the-gaffer wrote:
King Beer wrote:

well you seem to have an issue with everything I say so I like to give you the attention you desire

Issue? Only that you pick holes in alot of posts for no apparent reason! Other than that i pretty much nothing you!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 16:02

I only pick holes in those who do it to others, if they cant handle it then THEY shouldn't do it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr - 16:03

the-gaffer wrote:I only pick holes in those who do it to others, if they cant handle it then THEY shouldn't do it

Ah i see, nice mentality there! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 16:04

Sure is

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by TheKop Tue 12 Apr - 16:30

Very sad to hear that Edge has to retire. At times ive loved and loathed his character which just shows how well he he plays it and makes it believable.

One of the most loyal, passionate and hard working people to ever step foot in a WWE ring. I hope his injuries don't stop him from enjoying the rest of his life.

Thank you Edge!

TheKop

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Tue 12 Apr - 16:51

TheKop wrote:Very sad to hear that Edge has to retire. At times ive loved and loathed his character which just shows how well he he plays it and makes it believable.

One of the most loyal, passionate and hard working people to ever step foot in a WWE ring. I hope his injuries don't stop him from enjoying the rest of his life.

Thank you Edge!

It is also nice that it seems as though he can afford to retire instead of thinking that he has to continue in order to live - the business has moved on in someways.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 17:21

Yeah its definitely moved on just look at the amount of PPVs these is now compared to 20 years ago, for a guy who has been as successful as Edge he should be able to retire, that being said, i can see him being involved onscreen on SmackDown similar to what HBK would do in 98/99

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 12 Apr - 19:46

I still can't get over the fact he is actually leaving the ring. We've had guys retire in recent years such as Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels. But do to my age they were never my favourites, but Edge on the other hand has been there the entire tie I have watched the WWE and it is going to be weird to not seeing his name in PPV cards.

The man is a legend and definite future HOF.

I love the 5 Second pose farewell idea. Genius!

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 12 Apr - 20:06

It'd be great if Christian won the WHC and Edge hands him the title with 1 last 5 second pose to finish the show

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue 12 Apr - 20:59

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/edge/edge-retrospective-photos

The 18th picture on that link, my favourite 5 second pose ever! Very Happy

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr - 18:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_WRWReKb8&feature=player_embedded#at=423

The end of SD!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 13 Apr - 19:46

Chees mate awesome post

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by bernard black Thu 14 Apr - 12:43

...and for comparison, Edge's previous Smackdown farewell speech (less than a year ago!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQeD6XcGIRM&feature=related

This should have triggered a feud with Christian later on in the year up to Wrestlemania, with Christian finally winning the big one there by pinning his best friend, would have been a better way for Edge to go out, but sadly wasn't to be.

bernard black

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 14 Apr - 12:58

I'd have loved to see and E&C main event feud over the World Title, I think it was something that was always going to happen but the WWE thought they could hold it off for as long as possible, maybe this will teach Vince to strike while the iron is hot

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 14 Apr - 13:30

I miss Edge already and i haven't even seen Smackdown! yet!

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 14 Apr - 13:49

You gotta be kidding me, he would have been due some time off anyway soon

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 14 Apr - 13:53

Yeah but that's the point, he ain't coming back.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Thu 14 Apr - 13:57

Well he probably will, but not for a while and it will only be short appearances of course.

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next