The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters that have turned you around?

+11
seanmichaels
fearlessBamber
azania
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
The Galveston Giant
LivinginItaly
ShahenshahG
owen10ozzy
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
15 posters

Go down

Fighters that have turned you around? Empty Fighters that have turned you around?

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

Lots of fighters out there, some annoy me, but all of them I admire for having the nerve to step in the ring. But which fighters have you liked or disliked, but then turned around on.

Andre Ward - didn't like him much, purely because, as talented as he is, he fights in a style that I consider repulsive, at times. Hugging, hitting and headbutting, argh! That said, he conducts himself like the consumate pro, he is has tremendous (his fav word) talent, and now, for me, it's very hard not to like him.

Amir Khan - Probably due to the hype machine that followed his Olympic run, I used to pick at him regularly. But let me say this. Clean fighter, trains hard, professional and despite his verbal faux pas - a nice guy. And most importantly, takes on tough fights all the time.

Who has turned you around???

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Fighters that have turned you around? Empty Re: Fighters that have turned you around?

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jul 2012, 1:55 pm

Khan for me, when he was up and coming his career choices and the way he spoke used to drive me insane. Dismissing and refusing to fight his domestic rivals whilst talking like he was levels above them, all the while when the evidence in the ring did not really support his belief used to really grate on me.

Since he won his world title whilst he is still capable of putting his foot in his mouth and should not be allowed within 100 miles of twitter you can't really fault his ambition in the ring where he seems genuinely intent on clearing out the division and facing the best

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Fighters that have turned you around? Empty Re: Fighters that have turned you around?

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:01 pm

Haha I was just about to do an article on this...guessing the Khan fight gave you the idea.

I have always liked Khan...could see why some didn't like him, however never understood quite the disdain he recieved ( a fair amount on this board).

Carl Froch - I never liked his consistent calling out of Calzaghe. Whilst I know as a boxer you are always looking for the big fight but given where Joe was and Carl was at the respective times he went about it all in the wrong way. I think the fact that he seems to have acknowledged that now..and the fact he has just knuckled down and worried about his own legacy has won me over.

David Haye - Liked him as a cruiser...hated him as a Heavyweight...their is selling a fight then there is being a complete and utter you know what! However having had the pleasure *im being serious with the use of that word* of meeting him..I can say it is all for show and he is a remarkable down to earth guy and appreciative of what he has. Some people may not like the way he sells himself but meeting him has allowed me to overlook that.

Richie Woodhall - Dont know why but always thought the guy was a bit of a class A booby!! Just comes across as a bit arrogant and up himself. Again though I had the good fortune of meeting him...funnily enough at a dinner speech where he was with Joe Calzaghe of all people. He was charming, very respectful and had some great stories to tell. Nice guy..again maybe a case of tv changing how one see's him.

Tyson Fury - Still knocking over relative Tomato Cans..however at least he has the good grace to get into shape now.Seems to be toning it a little bit with the mental/idiotic side of things as well...hasn't completely won me over but is going in the right direction.

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:02 pm

Gavin Rees - always thought he was a bi of a joke but judging by recent fights and his attitude out of the ring - I respect him for hi grit and determination.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

I would have to say that David Haye has done the opposite with me. Was a big fan of his during his cruiserweight time, and had huge hopes for him in the heavyweight division. However, now I can't stand him at all and just wish he would go away. I don't know who I want to lose on Saturday more, if possible I would like them both to lose.

That aside I would say maybe Joe C. (sorry don't want to open the usual ducking debates etc). Would say that only really after his fight against Jeff Lacy did I have a high opinion of him (although that could have been a lingering effect of him beating my childhood hero Eubank).

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:07 pm

Carl froch, derek chisora, nearly amir khan at one time. I'm not liking Haye much these days.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:09 pm

Good call on Rees there, Shah. I agree. Disliked him intensely a few years back but, now that he keeps his mouth in better check and has put in some very commendable performances, I have warmed to him.

For whatever reason, I never liked Vic Darchinyan, or his style of fighting when he was hot property. But then I felt a great wave of sympathy for him after he was on the wrong end of a truly horrendous decision against Gorres, and his mettle has impressed me in his gallant losing efforts since.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:12 pm

Tony Bellew, when he was calling Cleverly out left right and center I didn't like him, I thought he was someone who just knew how to shout his mouth off. However after hearing some interviews off the sky cameras, he comes across as a really nice person and extremely entertaining. I am most definitely a big fan of him now.

Used to be a huge fan of Antonio Margarito, before I found out he was a cheating scumbag.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

Hatton. Used to like him up until the Floyd fight. Wanted him to lose badly. Laughed at the headbutt to the ringpost.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

azania wrote:Hatton. Used to like him up until the Floyd fight. Wanted him to lose badly. Laughed at the headbutt to the ringpost.

What made you hate him? If I remember correctly Floyd was the one running his mouth.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

He wa probably being humble and that made Azania go crazy and try to molest the tv

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Yep, Bellew is a good shout, too, although I suppose I'm a little against the grain by saying that he'd started to go up in my estimations even befre the Cleverly fight.

I thought the Tony Bell....(well, you can guess the last bit)' nickname was very apt two years back, but since he's had a little more exposure he's impressed me with his wit, humility and, rather surprisingly given his questionable temper, decent insight.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Bellew and Rees are great shouts. I like both now, and I thought Bellew was nothing more than a mouthy so and so before.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
azania wrote:Hatton. Used to like him up until the Floyd fight. Wanted him to lose badly. Laughed at the headbutt to the ringpost.

What made you hate him? If I remember correctly Floyd was the one running his mouth.

I dont hate him. I just wanted him to lose. He was fighting a better and superior athlete and all the hype that followed him did it for me. The football chants wherever he went etc. Floyd wasn't running his mouth. He doesn't bad mouth opponents. He just patronises them by talking about his skills. "There is no blueprint....".

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

Wasn't a fan of Khan when he was a Warren puppet, can't say I'm much more of a fan but I do like the way he's going about the business.

Was never really sold on Froch and whilst there are infinitely more skilled and technically gifted fighters out there, you can't knock the guy's heart and ambition.

Manny - used to be really impressed when he was going through the divisions but then the whole Floyd/drug/ducking nonsense started, coupled with the shocking "wins" against JMM and also some his opponents who suddenly became viable despite being dead from the neck up (and down), I really couldn't care less if he fights ever again

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:06 pm

Eubank - thought he was luck many times with decisions going his way and found his silly persona annoying, but he really showed heart in those Thompson fights and it became impossible not to respect him.

I would say Khan, but to be honest have always supported him insofar as I never wanted to see him lose.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:09 pm

He showed termendous heart in the Benn fights, the Watson fights and the Collins fights. But typical brit is loving a guy after he looses.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:10 pm

I want Manny to retire now, don't dislike him but his career has peaked and allt he Floyd, drug tests and Top Rank association have made me sick of him

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:11 pm

azania wrote: But typical brit is loving a guy after he looses.

If you're going to be a Wum AZ you need to get your own schtick, Truss does this one so much better, and with the added bonus of spelling loses correctly.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:12 pm

rowley wrote:

If you're going to be a Wum AZ you need to get your own schtick, Truss does this one so much better, and with the added bonus of spelling loses correctly.

hahahhahahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm

rowley wrote:

And no sunglasses smiley.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

That's kinda put me in my place. Cheers guys. Sad

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 13 Jul 2012, 3:22 pm

I used to hate Lewis especially after he KO'd Frank. Never a massive fan but certainly warmed to him.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jul 2012, 7:45 pm

Good topic.

Bellew is a worthy contender recently, still in the warming process but after seeing him in the few fights before the Cleverley fight I thought there was no way I'd like him.

Which brings me neatly to a fighter I've turned against... Clev.

Watched him at British level and appeared to be a really level headed switched on lad then it all went sour. He had a few KOs then started with all this macho business and forgot how to box. His last few fights he's been wide open and fights with face taking needless shots. I don't know if he's very good or not but I certainly think he is better than he's showing and could do with a change of trainer.

Haye is another who has gone downhill in my opinion. I watched and followed him for a good few years and was glued to the radio when he beat Mormeck then backed him against my mates when he ruined Enzo. I forgave most of the tasteless Wlad and Vit build up because I thought he was intentionally playing the clown just to get his name out there and believed he had a decent chance of beating Wlad. But witnessing such a lame performance awoke me to the criticisms others had often thrown his way. I didn't have him as favourite against Wlad and actually thought the fight would go largely as it did, except I thought there would be at least one or two moments when Haye throw caution to the wind but alas, it never happened and he left too much in the ring, not performed. He seemed happy to drift to a loss without trying to change it. That saddened me.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

If you like Bellew, then IFilm London has some cracking interviews with him, he is a top quality guy.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm

hopkins was the main one for me. took me a while to warm to him but went on to be my favourite boxer. also i like froch these days and never thought i would
nothing like a bit of gambling to turn you into a supporter of someone, especially when you get a big win. has turned me into a fan of mitchell, bradley, witter and various other lately

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 13 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

Paulie Malignaggi after the Hatton loss, because of his fantastic performances against Juan Diaz and all else he's done since bar Khan

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 14 Jul 2012, 10:57 am

I like malignaggi for the way he goes about things, despite his shortcomings he gives it everything in the ring and that can only be commended. He also sells his fights in a very tasteful and humorous way, on top of that he talks a lot of sense when analysing other fights.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by paul12342 Sat 14 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

Kevin Mitchell when he beat Prescott i thought he was looking pretty darn good. Then after Katsidas beat him like a red headed step child and it turned out he hadnt bothered preparing properly i just felt he was a complete tool.

paul12342

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down