The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

+40
Josiah Maiestas
Biltong
Dave.
ralphjohn69
monty junior
detones
1GrumpyGolfer
JPX
lorus59
Doon the Water
AlciG
sandy_trap
Diggers
beninho
princedracula
Redrage
super_realist
Leff
mystiroakey
incontinentia
LastDamnation
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
John Cregan
bluestonevedder
WillyGilly
pedro
barragan
Fader
EmmDee57
robopz
hend085
NedB-H
GPB
Shotrock
Tinmar
sirbenson
dynamark
McLaren
kwinigolfer
44 posters

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 17 Jul 2012, 9:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Well done Zach Johnson, winning the John Deere Classic after you tried hard to throw it away on the first play-off hole. Second win of the season for Zach who is on the Board of the tournament and has done so much to ensure its place on the PGA Tour schedule - reminiscent of Carl Pettersson's win at Greensboro a few years ago in that respect.

2).This win doesn't arithmetically ensure Zach Johnson of a place on Davis Love's Ryder Cup Team, but he and DLIII are near neighbours on the Georgia coast, have worked together to help create "The McGladrey Classic", and it would be a huge surprise if his John Deere success doesn't clinch a spot at Medinah.

3).Troy Matteson came way too close to winning last week's John Deere Classic, leading as he did every day, to throw it all away on his first play-off hole. He would have been the first player to win a Tour event in which he finished last in driving accuracy for 24 years! But he putted for his dough, leading the field in "strokes gained - putting". Sometime College Teammate of Kuchar and Molder, among others.

4).Open Championship week, then, and let's hope Royal Lytham gets the Champion it deserves. Rather like Carnoustie did in 1999, or so Davis Love thought:
"When you have a screwy setup, you're going to get a screwy finish," Love was quoted as saying. "And if Paul Lawrie is the champion that Scotland wanted, I think they got exactly what they wanted."
The R&A get exactly what they want on Thursday, 8.31 a.m. BST, when Lawrie and Love tee it up together with Tim Clark!

5).Let's see who's done well in the past at Lytham:
1996 result:
1st: Lehman
2nd: Els
11th: Darren Clarke, Vijay Singh
14th: Duval
18th: Harrington
22nd: Woods, Stricker
27th: Broadhurst (also 58th and Leading Amateur in 1988 - hope he plays well this week, will never get the credit he deserves for his 1991 Ryder Cup play.)
41st: Calc, Mickelson
Also made the cut: Hamilton, Furyk, Allenby, Ames, Lyle, Daly, Goosen

6).2001 result:
1st: Duval
3rd: Els, Clarke, Jimenez
9th: Garcia
13th: Vijay, Goosen, Jacquelin
21st: DLIII
23rd: Michael Campbell, Greg Owen
25th: Woods
29th: Barry Lane
30th: Cink, Mickelson, Rose
37th: Harrington
42nd: Stricker, Paul Lawrie
Also made the cut: Allenby, Scott, Westwood, Calc, Lyle.

7).The last two Major winners won Majors their namesakes had won, Watson and Simpson. Sadly Jarrod Lyle won't be maintaining the tradition as he battles leukemia in Australia. But Aussie Luke Elvy tweets a promising update on Jarrod's condition:
"Has had his ups and downs over the past 6 weeks but Bone Marrow tests overnight showed no leukemia cells. Great news."
Get well, Jarrod, hope to see you on Tour soon.

8).No idea who'll win this week, fingers crossed though for Westwood and Harrington. Obviously Els, Clarke and Vijay have played well here in the past, but, Woods apart, it's difficult to see where any American challenge might come from. (Interesting take in USA Today on David Toms' non-participation: "He's pulled out of the British on several occasions due to injury and general disinterest."!)
Apart from the golden oldies, Woods, Stricker, Furyk and Phil, the leading Americans in the owgr have little to show for their trips to The Open, Dustin Johnson, Fowler, Mahan and Watney scoring the only 5 top 15's.

9).Hate disclaimers but this week's "opposite field event", the True South Classic in Mississippi, has been abandoned by PGA Tour players in their droves, very few of the owgr top 200 bothering to show up for a $540K first prize. Players are withdrawing by the dozen and it seems futile to speculate too much about the event. If they don't care, why should we?

Except to say that it's a BIG tournament for Gary Christian and Russell Knox, not to mention the ailing Richard S.Johnson and a golfer with an excellent record in Lytham Opens, Alex Cejka - a cut for Cejka this week will earn him PGA Tour "Veteran" status as he reaches 150 career cuts. Good luck Alex, but a poor reward for a first-time sponsor and a Jack Nicklaus course that the players rate more highly than Torrey Pines, Doral, Bay Hill and the Greenbrier.

10).Finally, Majors may be two-a-penny on the Champions Tour, two-in-Michigan even, but Sundridge Park's Roger Chapman won't be complaining as he added the US Senior Open title to the Senior PGA he won a few weeks ago. Two fingers, then, to the USGA who only saw fit to invite five Europeans (Hogberg went through qualifying) to their Senior Open which is even more of a closed shop than the Champions Tour. Pathetic.

Roger Chapman won't mind though as he will be at Kiawah Island for next month's PGA Championship, and joins Lee Westwood in being the first two Englishmen to punch their tickets to next year's US Open at Merion.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

Have you ever seen a stranger chap than fujimoto?

Suspiciously small fingers as well.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 6 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Open Championship / True South Classic: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Fader Fri 20 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

McLaren wrote:Have you ever seen a stranger chap than fujimoto?

Suspiciously small fingers as well.
Does this make him a Carby with hands that smell like cabbage....

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:00 pm

fader I have no idea.

It was more the weird hair hanging of the back of his head that got me. The fingers thing is just odd, it must be difficult for him to hold the club with a normal grip.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:05 pm

Time for some fellow countrymen to do their patriotic duty.
Messrs Bennett, Whitnell and Tiley to lie back, think of England, and get enough bogeys for Fisher and Westwood to live and fight another day.
If you'd be so kind.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:10 pm

Just left work so time my train gets in and I walk home I'll have missed another another days coverage, so highlights for and work again tomorrow means I'll have missed at least 2 and a half days coverage! Reminder to self book all 4 days off next year!

Could be interesting if we get Tiger v Steve Williams! We all know Williams will see it as that duel rather than Tiger v Scott

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

take a bow mr woods.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:14 pm

Fader

You need a new job if the current one is getting in the way of the golf.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:14 pm

Kwin - So it's come to that for the majorless former world #1? Better he get the weekend off and prepare for the PGA, IMO.

Meanwhile ... TIGER!!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

Screw the PGA, this is The Open Championship.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:20 pm

Lee's likely thinking just the opposite at this moment!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:21 pm

McLaren wrote:Fader

You need a new job if the current one is getting in the way of the golf.

This is a temp contract so next time I'll work my work around golf.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:23 pm

Salute Tom Watson for making that putt on the 18th and making the cut. clap

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:26 pm

Where's super realist? I see my theory about Clarke and the weather has been proved right over his year as "Fluke Open Champ" It was far too calm for him to make the cut!!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

Sr,
You say that but if the weather stays dry, there's at least a 63 out there and that will get anyone right back in it. Sunday, who knows?

Great for Tom Watson too, let's hope someone does the right thing and offers all the +3's a chance for Saturday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm

Oh no, I thought Watson made the cut. Current projection shows he is just outside, and so is Sergio.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:32 pm

At +4, Sergio probably doesn't have a chance. Hope Watson and Westwood can sneak in.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:34 pm

jpx

Despite what some on here think, I think it is rather sad what has happened to clarke. He has let himself down and I think he has let the reputation of the open and the majors in general down.

I am sure some stats will emerge but my gut feeling is that no player has ever won less OWGR points in the year after winning a major. I think clarke has only gained "free" points in things like the nedbank and wgc matchplay.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:36 pm

McLaren wrote:jpx

Despite what some on here think, I think it is rather sad what has happened to clarke. He has let himself down and I think he has let the reputation of the open and the majors in general down.

I am sure some stats will emerge but my gut feeling is that no player has ever won less OWGR points in the year after winning a major. I think clarke has only gained "free" points in things like the nedbank and wgc matchplay.
Yeah as I said, he's proved you can fluke an open win. Still I would take a Donald or Westwood fluke win right now, but they continue to let us down year after year

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

Clarke won last year fair and square - despite what he's (not) done since. Bet he wins again. Somewhere.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

Unless it's on the seniors tour he won't win again.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

Kwini

I know you are a big DC fan but do you not feel any shine has been lost from his win because of his form since then? If Paul lawrie or ben curtis can get a hard time over being "poor" major winners - of course not from you - then why not clarke?

The point, which diggers had made a few times of late is that golf needs its biggest events to be won be some players in more dominant positions in the game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:42 pm

Did Tod Hamilton win again after the Open?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

Kwin - Now THAT would be a comeback of major proportion!

McDowell, I think, is the European danger man. If the first time major winner streak ends it will almost certainly do so with he or Tiger.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Did anyone sereiously think that clarke would do anything after last years open win?

He was and still is a shadow of the player he once was, and even at his best he was only a good golfer. He played an won a links event in awfull weather which knocked alot of the field out of contention. Thats all

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:46 pm

Surely best to judge Clarke on his whole career including his Open win rather than a single year post Open victory! He has 2 WGC's as well as a host of other wins, I would think over a career that makes him at least a decent major champion compared to others.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Did anyone sereiously think that clarke would do anything after last years open win?

He was and still is a shadow of the player he once was, and even at his best he was only a good golfer. He played an won a links event in awfull weather which knocked alot of the field out of contention. Thats all

clap

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

mysti

I bash DC for the last year, but you would have to be a half wit to ignore what a great player clarke was from the late 90's up until around 2006.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

Mac,
Any description of Curtis or Lawrie as "poor" Major winners certainly did not come from me. Both have had decent careers, not a patch on Clarke's though.

Would be very optimistic that DC will be back, too much pride to go away without a whimper.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm

Jason Dufner has given some value for my six-pack.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

Geoff Oglivy, Stewart Cink, Larry Mize, etc. ... I always have trouble calling any golfer that posted the lowest score over a full 72 holes "lucky" to win.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

McLaren wrote:mysti

I bash DC for the last year, but you would have to be a half wit to ignore what a great player clarke was from the late 90's up until around 2006.

switch great for good and you are spot on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

Does anyone know where the pebble beach Phil has gone? A very strange period for him at the moment.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

Olesen going along quietly. Got him at 150/1 each way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 20 Jul 2012, 7:58 pm

Jesus was too busy to help Zach today? Cool

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:28 pm

Am I right in thinking the cut is +3 as there isn't enough players in a position to move the line?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

A thought on the Clarke being poor debate.

Say 4 golfers careers all end at 45ish.

Monty, Stricker, Westwood and Clarke.

Monty numerous OOM titles and ET victories,

Westwood couple of OOM's a host of ET titles and maybe a couple more

Stricker a handful of PGA tour wins and a WGC

Clarke a handful of victories on ET (he maybe in double figures already) 2 WGC's and an Open.

Now all sat round same table who do you think would be more satisfied with their career and talked about more often! Most likely Clarke as the only major winner! Fickle bunch us golfers knock people on their form but forget about their careers.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:34 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Am I right in thinking the cut is +3 as there isn't enough players in a position to move the line?

Yep... it's pretty much set at +3 with only Townsend with a 'chance' to get to +2

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:38 pm

Thanks AlciG. I have the leaderboard open at work and it seems very slow.

Good news is I live to fight another day in Kwini's game and I have 6/6 through in Venice's fantasy league game

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

Tom Watson clap +3 makes it...............

Mac, i know we've been through the DC thing over and over and you are entitled to your opinion. I do disagree with the inference you seem to be making that he's not committed or trying. That's just not true...............the truth is that he's past his prime with a horrendous putting stroke. He had 1 year of "freebie" points from WGC's & Nedbank and that's now over........the man deserves a break.............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 8:44 pm

He deserved his win, just like all major winners- bar lee trevino v jacklin all them years ago!! but the open is abit more random than other events, it can knock out a bigger percentage of the field due to weather

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:01 pm

The weather is an integral part of the Open and what this year is missing so far is some decent wind. Each of Tiger's titles were won in calm conditions. He has always struggled in the wind and there is no coincidence or lottery about that.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

lorus59 wrote:What about all the water in the bunkers? Surely they could have removed it in this day and age. This is a major championship after all, not the local municipal course.

They're saying the water table is high due to all the moisture... they can drain the bunker, but the water just fills in again from underneath... Perhaps they will be able to get them finally drained tomorrow.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

bunkers are hazards - no decent player will blame them- they will only blame themselves for going in them!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:32 pm

Opie Taylor leads Open.....

http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Galleries/Andy%20Griffith/andy-griffith-06-sized.jpg

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:38 pm

you whats!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 20 Jul 2012, 10:53 pm

Some lovely pairings tomorrow:

T.Watson Westwood
Harrington McIlroy
B.Watson Poulter
Duffner McDowell

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 20 Jul 2012, 11:23 pm

John,
Get there early!

8.20: Lee and Tom
8.30: John Daly
8.40: Rickie Fowler
8.50: Keegan Bradley
9.00: KJ Choi and Fish

One of the early starters is going to go LOW! Who will it be??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:18 am

You get up at 3:30am to watch, Kwini? That's brave. I am on the east coast too this weekend in our second home. That early is out of the question for me.

JD seems to be in better control of his mental state. He is making cuts more often than not. Maybe winning fans too with those Union Jack baggy trousers (look like jammies).

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:36 am

TV starts 7.00 a.m. EDT; I'll be up at least 90 mins before that, making my wife's breakfast before she goes to work!

Hope there'll be Westwood and Fish well under par for the day by then. Can't wait!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sat 21 Jul 2012, 2:09 am

I plan to watch at 7am too after running 6 miles with my wife. Watson and Westwood will have completed their round by then.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next