The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll

+7
Liam
Duty281
EnglishReign
ian_jamsie
TopHat24/7
liverbnz
GSC
11 posters

Go down

Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll Empty Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

To paraphrase Daniel Bryan

YES, YES, YES
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll Empty Re: Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

I think athletes/celebrities in general should give Twitter a wide berth. It does nothing but causes problems from them tweeting silly comments which land them in trouble or for the abuse they attract by some unsavoury people out there.

Social networks have become their platform to communicate with the outside world. Whilst I am sure it helps with their image in terms of conveying themselves to be an 'average joe' which I have issue with, but it is more trouble than it's worth.

Back to top Go down

Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll Empty Re: Police begin enquiry into Tom Daley twitter troll

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

I like the idea of athletes being accessible personally, but beyond that, why should they avoid something just because of morons who think a computer screen makes them invulnerable?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:40 am

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:I like the idea of athletes being accessible personally, but beyond that, why should they avoid something just because of morons who think a computer screen makes them invulnerable?

Exactly. Because of twitter and other social websites, these morons are not getting away with it.

Last edited by liverbnz on Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:43 am

It goes with territory. I am not saying by any means what the guy said was right in anyway and was utterly disgraceful. If you make yourself accessable to the masses via social networking, then I am afraid you open yourself up to everyone. Even the most unpleasant people.

I am not a Twitter user myself, but from what I have over the past few years it for me isn't a glowing endorsement that it is something positive.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm

Abuser now arrested.

Silly little twonk. Don't think he deserves a criminal record over it, just a massive slap.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

Its a case of a very small minority ruining it for everyone. Im a twitter convert, and while I dont follow many celebrities (bar Swanny and Broad), it does make them more personable. Also a lot faster than news websites
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:11 pm

Doubt he gets a record, fine would suffice
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:23 pm

The general public is full of revolting people.

Why give people a direct line to you?

You opening yourself up to the kind of pond scum you are likely to cross a road to avoid in normal life.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:06 pm

Daft thing to say, but is it illegal? An arrest seems a bit too far for a twitter insult.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:07 pm

EnglishReign wrote:Daft thing to say, but is it illegal? An arrest seems a bit too far for a twitter insult.

He did threaten to drown Tom Daley as well after the initial tweet.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:11 pm

I think it would be considered the equivalent of a public order offence that you'd get abusing someone in the street using foul language etc.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

the guy was saying absolutely horrific things. Ok, its not assault but when scum like him think they can get away with it, they need a reality check. The kid needs a good beating if you ask me, cocky little runt. Couldn't believe some of the sickening abuse he was giving to people. Hope he get's the sh*t beaten out of him one day.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 1:14 pm

While I wouldnt go that far, certainly he could expect it if he said that to Tom Daley's face
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 31 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:The general public is full of revolting people.

Why give people a direct line to you?

You opening yourself up to the kind of pond scum you are likely to cross a road to avoid in normal life.

+1. I have a Twitter account (although I don't bother much with it) but if I was famous there's no way I'd have one.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:01 pm

The lad from Swansea who tweeted about Muamba spent 3 months or so in jail. Wouldn't be surprised if this little delinquent got the same. God knows he deserves it.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:10 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:The lad from Swansea who tweeted about Muamba spent 3 months or so in jail. Wouldn't be surprised if this little delinquent got the same. God knows he deserves it.

that was racially aggravated assault though, different kettle of fish.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 31 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:The lad from Swansea who tweeted about Muamba spent 3 months or so in jail. Wouldn't be surprised if this little delinquent got the same. God knows he deserves it.

Yes but for me, when you have had the year Tom Daley has had, losing his Dad who he was so close too, then to lose out on a medal and to say 'You let your Dad down' is just as bad in my book, it was such a cheap shot and a low blow that he deserves the book thrown at him, got no time for people like that.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:It goes with territory. I am not saying by any means what the guy said was right in anyway and was utterly disgraceful. If you make yourself accessable to the masses via social networking, then I am afraid you open yourself up to everyone. Even the most unpleasant people.

I am not a Twitter user myself, but from what I have over the past few years it for me isn't a glowing endorsement that it is something positive.

You could say the same about meeting fans in public or going to public events, that your opening yourself up to the masses (sounds quite Marxist) and unpleasant people.

But you can't, and shouldn't stop doing what you're doing just because of these idiots. And I am shocked by some of the comments he put on, and then the cheek to pretend to apologise while still doing these tweets on another subject (Paraolympians).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 31 Jul 2012, 4:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Yeh, I guess you're right. But to be honest, I thought all of this 'trolling' now was being dealt with under the umbrella term of 'malicious communications'? As a side note, I actually knew that lad from Swansea. Played rugby with him, and he was an absolute idiot.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 31 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

It used to be that if you wanted to make your opinion heard, you went to print. This took time and you'd have to be committed to what you were saying to bother going to the trouble. It's so much easier now, but the bottom line is that you're still responsible for what you publish. If you don't mean it, don't say it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

Police said the teenager was given a harassment warning before being bailed pending an investigation into other communications on his Twitter account.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jennifer1984 Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:38 pm

GSC wrote:Doubt he gets a record, fine would suffice

The suspect who was arrested is 17 years old, he is therefore over the age of criminal responsibility. In all probability he will get a police caution unless he has a history. It also depends if Daley makes a formal complaint which might attract a lot of publicity... a trial.... appearances in court....

My guess: Daley will let it drop with a police caution. It's not worth the hassle and the press will make sure the message starts to filter out to the big wide world that Tweeters can be traced and caught very quickly.

Jennifer1984

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 01 Aug 2012, 9:14 am

He was warned over that tweet and faces investigation for some other suspect tweets
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down