The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current world test eleven

+2
Shelsey93
jbd349
6 posters

Go down

Current world test eleven Empty Current world test eleven

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 4:52 pm

Based on last 12 months who would be in your current world test XI?

this would be mine:

1.Alistair Cook
2.Brendan Taylor
3.Azhar Ali
4.Michael Clarke
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Asad Shafiq
7.Matt Prior (wk)
8.Vernon Philander
9.Saeed Ajmal
10.James Anderson
11.James Pattinson

Back to top Go down

Current world test eleven Empty Re: Current world test eleven

Post by jbd349 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

Some of your choices seem odd - Taylor, Shafiq, Pattinson - but overall an ok side.

Personally, I'd go for something along the lines of:

G Smith
A Cook
K Sangakkarra
J Kallis
S Chanderpaul
M Clarke / I Bell
M Prior (wk)
D Steyn
V Philander
J Anderson
S Ajmal

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

i wouldnt say they are odd to be honest...

Taylor-has been very good since ZIM came back into tests, infact without him they would have been skittled for under 100 on most occasions..

Shafiq-Has made the no6 spot his own in past 12 months in tests and has been consistent..

Pattinson-Has made a fantastic impact on AUS test side since coming into side and debuting.

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 8:07 pm

Taylor has been Zimbabwe's best batsman by a good distance, but he is still not one of the best in the world IMO. Shafiq is an odd choice, especially as as you say his major achievement is just that he's secured his spot in the Pakistan side - he has still probably been te least effective of their top 6. Patrons on has bowled well against weaker batting line ups, but is untested against the stronger sides and it is questionable whether he would get into an Aussie Test XI with everyone fit.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

i never said taylor was best in world.....

its best test side on form from past 12 months!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:15 pm

CF wrote:Based on last 12 months who would be in your current world test XI?

this would be mine:

1.Alistair Cook
2.Brendan Taylor
3.Azhar Ali
4.Michael Clarke
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Asad Shafiq
7.Matt Prior (wk)
8.Vernon Philander
9.Saeed Ajmal
10.James Anderson
11.James Pattinson

Zimbabwe have hardly played, so Taylor is hard to justify. Having said that few openers have had a great time. If I was to pick an XI (rather than those in best form) of players from around the world it would be:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Virender Sehwag*
3. Hashim Amla
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. AB de Villiers
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Matt Prior (wk)
8. Stuart Broad
9. Dale Steyn
10. Saeed Ajmal
11. James Anderson

Reserves: Chris Gayle, Kumar Sangakkara, Sachin Tendulkar, Graeme Swann, Morne Morkel, Ryan Harris

* I guess that some would consider this controversial, but whilst he hasn't had the best 12 months I still want him in my team over Gayle. A quick look at his record (average and strike rate) will remind you of how good he is most of the time.

Batting is very competitive. As well as those I named in the XI and reserves Michael Clarke, Mahela Jayawardene, Ian Bell, Azhar Ali (form player), Graeme Smith, Shiv Chanderpaul, Mike Hussey and Ricky Ponting all make very strong cases for themselves. As does Shakib Al Hasan, particularly in the sub-continent where you might want him as a second spin option.

Spin is tricky. Beyond Ajmal and Swann nobody really stands out - Vettori looks a shadow of his former self of late (all that time as captain/ coach/ main bowler/ main batsman starting to take its toll?), and you feel Rehman and Herath don't have the skills outside of Asia that Ajmal and Swann have.

In the pace department it is very hard to look past South Africa and England. For me only Ryan Harris (very underrated) from outside those two countries gets in the top 8. Kemar Roach and Chris Martin would be the next nearest, along with Hilfenhaus and Siddle. Zaheer looks to be a fading force, and Gul is primarily a one-day bowler.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 02 Aug 2012, 9:25 am

Cook
Amla
Sangakarra
Clarke
Kallis
AB
Prior
Philander
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:20 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
CF wrote:Based on last 12 months who would be in your current world test XI?

this would be mine:

1.Alistair Cook
2.Brendan Taylor
3.Azhar Ali
4.Michael Clarke
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Asad Shafiq
7.Matt Prior (wk)
8.Vernon Philander
9.Saeed Ajmal
10.James Anderson
11.James Pattinson

Zimbabwe have hardly played, so Taylor is hard to justify. Having said that few openers have had a great time. If I was to pick an XI (rather than those in best form) of players from around the world it would be:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Virender Sehwag*
3. Hashim Amla
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. AB de Villiers
6. Jacques Kallis
7. Matt Prior (wk)
8. Stuart Broad
9. Dale Steyn
10. Saeed Ajmal
11. James Anderson

Reserves: Chris Gayle, Kumar Sangakkara, Sachin Tendulkar, Graeme Swann, Morne Morkel, Ryan Harris

* I guess that some would consider this controversial, but whilst he hasn't had the best 12 months I still want him in my team over Gayle. A quick look at his record (average and strike rate) will remind you of how good he is most of the time.

Batting is very competitive. As well as those I named in the XI and reserves Michael Clarke, Mahela Jayawardene, Ian Bell, Azhar Ali (form player), Graeme Smith, Shiv Chanderpaul, Mike Hussey and Ricky Ponting all make very strong cases for themselves. As does Shakib Al Hasan, particularly in the sub-continent where you might want him as a second spin option.

Spin is tricky. Beyond Ajmal and Swann nobody really stands out - Vettori looks a shadow of his former self of late (all that time as captain/ coach/ main bowler/ main batsman starting to take its toll?), and you feel Rehman and Herath don't have the skills outside of Asia that Ajmal and Swann have.

In the pace department it is very hard to look past South Africa and England. For me only Ryan Harris (very underrated) from outside those two countries gets in the top 8. Kemar Roach and Chris Martin would be the next nearest, along with Hilfenhaus and Siddle. Zaheer looks to be a fading force, and Gul is primarily a one-day bowler.

thats not the point of this thread...

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:59 am

Sehwag really should not be opening outside the subcontinent, Shelsey.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm

Graeme Smith
Alastair Cook
Azhar Ali
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
Matt Prior
Vernon Philander
Rangana Herath
James Anderson
saeed Ajmal.

Dale Steyn, going by his real high standards, has had a down time. I thought Herath's performances over the last 12 months should put him right up there. The side has Kallis as the 3rd seamer anyways, so can opt for the extra spinner.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 02 Aug 2012, 11:42 pm

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Sehwag really should not be opening outside the subcontinent, Shelsey.

I disagree. He is at his best on the sub-continent, but still pretty good elsewhere. Changing your order in different parts of the world is not a successful formula either. He will hopefully be over the problems that dogged him in England and Australia when India get going on their 10 Test home summer, as in good form, he is the best to watch in the world

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 03 Aug 2012, 12:35 am

Best current test eleven :-

1) Graeme Smith
2) Alastair Cook
3) Hashim Amla
4) Jacques Kallis
5) The Big Show
6) AB de Villiers
7) Matthew Wade
8) Dale Steyn
9) Saeed Ajmal
10) James Anderson
11) Tino Best

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:15 am

Shelsey93 wrote:
shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Sehwag really should not be opening outside the subcontinent, Shelsey.

I disagree. He is at his best on the sub-continent, but still pretty good elsewhere. Changing your order in different parts of the world is not a successful formula either. He will hopefully be over the problems that dogged him in England and Australia when India get going on their 10 Test home summer, as in good form, he is the best to watch in the world
I am extremely sorry but thats nonsense. His record certainly doesnt back that up, Shelsey.

Sehwag in England : 28
In South Africa : 25
In NZ : 20

His technique is just not suited to batting in conditions where the ball moves around.

Graeme Smith anyday.

If I were to pick an all conditions team(not necessarily on current form), I'd go with :

Smith(c)
Cook
Amla
Tendulkar
Kallis
De Villiers
Prior(wk)
Broad
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 03 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:

I am extremely sorry but thats nonsense. His record certainly doesnt back that up, Shelsey.

Sehwag in England : 28
In South Africa : 25
In NZ : 20

His technique is just not suited to batting in conditions where the ball moves around.

Graeme Smith anyday.

If I were to pick an all conditions team(not necessarily on current form), I'd go with :

Smith(c)
Cook
Amla
Tendulkar
Kallis
De Villiers
Prior(wk)
Broad
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal

steam
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Aug 2012, 2:55 pm

this wasnt the point of the thread however IMO best test side in world cricket, not based on form, just based on class of players it would be:

1.Alistair Cook
2.Chris Gayle
3.Hashim Amla
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Jacques Kallis
6.Mahela Jayawardene
7.Matt Prior (wk)
8.Saeed Ajmal
9.James Anderson
10.Zaheer Khan
11.Dale Steyn

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:42 pm

Pretty much spot on CF apart from Mahela! There are quite a few players who are better "all condition" players than him. De Villiers is one. Clarke is another. Hussey, Sangakkara, Chanderpaul to name a few more.

Good call on picking Zaheer over Broad! I'd pick him too. Of course, you havent named the bowlers in batting order, which is fine as its a very good team.
I just you wish reconsider Mahela. He is a very good player but there are better all condition players around.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun 05 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

By the way, as far as your "form" team is concerned, I understand that Brendan Taylor has done well in the few matches that he has played but he doesnt open in Tests.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down