The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C'mon Marx!

3 posters

Go down

C'mon Marx! Empty C'mon Marx!

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 07 Aug 2012, 9:36 am

Yesterday evening was the final match in our Men's doubles summer league. Comfortably mid-table, we needed to win 1 of the 4 rubbers to get our highest ever total and league position. I needed (with my partner) to win 1 of our 2 rubbers to have won 8 out 16 this season - a personal best and my target for this year.
For the oppostion, only a 4-0 victory would get them promoted, otherwise they'd finish 3rd.

After three rubbers, we were 3-0 down and it was left to my partner and I to try and get that vital point. At 3-6, 2-4 it wasn't looking good. We refocussed, cut out the UEs and stormed back to take the second set 6-4. Into the all-or-nothing champtionship tie-break. We promptly went 0-4 down, clawed it back to 5-5, won the next four points and closed it out 10-6. Scenes of unbridled jubilation one side of the net and unconsolable despair on the other, as the home crowd went wild - OK, perhaps that's a more-than-slight exaggeration, but I was pretty damn pleased Smile

Andy Murray winning the gold was a nice side-dish, but this was the main course!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

C'mon Marx! Empty Re: C'mon Marx!

Post by laverfan Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:53 pm

I am very glad for you JHM.

JuliusHMarx wrote:Scenes of unbridled jubilation one side of the net and unconsolable despair on the other...

Is PTSD counseling available for the losers? Laugh

Seriously, the brutality of Tennis is obvious, in fact, of all sport. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Aug 2012, 12:59 pm

My season ended with injury Marx mad just recovering from a pinched nerve in the shoulder. I literally walked at times like I had been shot Laugh

Glad you had a victory at the end of the season. Well played Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

Thanks guys (and gal)

LK, I suspect, like me, you're at that age where injuries appear out of nowhere Smile I felt a little tweak while playing a few months ago and the next morning couldn't put any weight on my leg - spent 2 days going up the stairs on my hands and knees.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:11 pm

Aye indeed Julius. I do remember attempting the Djokovic slide and having a 10 minute MTO! There are just some things that you can't do on court. I have never attempted the hotdog as I am sure it would shatter my fertility!

On the whole it has been a strange season. One court I played on last year a hardcourt played like a sticky toffee pudding and this year it was like an ice rink!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:13 pm

Well done clap What surface was it? I was a clay courter myself but injuries wrecked me when I was 8.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 07 Aug 2012, 1:31 pm

TSJ, our home surface is astro-turf (with the sandy base) - not sure of the official name. Fairly common in the UK. Away matches this year have included Euroclay (artificial clay, I guess) and the new indoor courts at Edgbaston Priory - I really liked those - that was probably my best match this year.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down