The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Birthday to Federer!

+2
The Special Juan
laverfan
6 posters

Go down

Can Federer win 20 slams?

Happy Birthday to Federer! Vote_lcap33%Happy Birthday to Federer! Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]
Happy Birthday to Federer! Vote_lcap67%Happy Birthday to Federer! Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Happy Birthday to Federer! Empty Happy Birthday to Federer!

Post by laverfan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

Federer is 31 today. Chinese consider 8/8 as a lucky number. Wishing Federer many more years of Tennis! rose

Since 606v2 loves polls, here is something to ponder.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1281879-roger-federer-birthday-wish-will-the-tennis-superstar-win-20-grand-slam-titles

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday to Federer! Empty Re: Happy Birthday to Federer!

Post by The Special Juan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

Absolutely, I hope he sticks around for as long as he feels he can compete at the top.

To win 1 major over the age of 30 was a huge accomplishment. To win 3 more? Maybe even that is beyond the GOAT. If he sticks around for 3 more years after this years US Open he has 9 more opportunities to win major titles, taking the FO out of the equation. Wimbledon is his best shot. I believe he'd have to win at least 2 more there to reach 20, but I cannot see it happening.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm

Always reckoned between Jan 2010 and July 2012 that Fed had another slam in him and that it was likely to come at Wimbledon or the US.
Well, he's got Wimbledon 2012 now but, as The Special Juan rightly says, it really is asking a lot for him to get three more.
Interestingly, with Pete S being almost exactly 10 years older than Fed, we can easily compare the latter stages of the two players' careers.
Pete did not win a single tournament in the last two years of his career before coming up with the USO in 2002. Fed, on the other hand, has won nine tournaments just in the last 12 months.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

SFP... Annacone's evaluation of Federer is that Federer has a much younger mindset than Sampras. He is still willing to compete, and with a family in the toe.

SJ... the 9 opportunities and Rio 2016. It would be a wonderful Epilogue to a marvellous career. Let us see. If it is not 20, there may yet be one or two more.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 08 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Would Fed fans like to see him competing for longer but being less dominant or see him bow out at, or somewhere near, the top? I must say that I was rather cynical back in 2005 when I heard Fed saying that he'd love to win the Olympic Gold at Wimbledon when it was announced London had won the Games' bid.

Back then I thought, hold on, he's going to be almost 31 then, and surely he won't be much cop. I also remember thinking that Murray would be only 25 by the time of the London Games and might have a good shot at the gold medal. I just didn't expect him to be playing Fed to win it.
Personally, I would be quite happy to see Fed carry on for a bit. In a recent interview he said he'd got his 2013 calendar almost sorted and was kinda thinking about 2014 as well.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 09 Aug 2012, 3:59 pm

Even in birthday wishes you got some stats going on LF Very Happy Hug .

Many Many happy returns of the day to the GOAT, belated wishes.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 09 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

Belated happy birthday to Fed. He may not be the GOAT but he's amazing in his own right. I think he'll get to 20 slams, he's playing well enough and his decline has been slow.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 11 Aug 2012, 1:56 pm

belated happy birthday to TMF indeed. I doubt whether he will get to 20 slams, but then I wouldn't have given him much chance of winning Wimbledon this year, taking the silver at OG or regaining No 1, so never say never!!!

Just lovely to see him play and, like all tennis fans, I would like to see him continue as long as he is enjoying it.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down