The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Boxing

+3
eirebilly
Thomond
I hate fish
7 posters

Go down

Olympic Boxing Empty Olympic Boxing

Post by I hate fish Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Should a knock down be scored more than one point? I think it should be worth at least three points.

I hate fish

Back to top Go down

Olympic Boxing Empty Re: Olympic Boxing

Post by Thomond Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:27 pm

Depends really, I think one is alright ,2 maybe 3 is a bit much I think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by I hate fish Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:40 pm

Thomond wrote:Depends really, I think one is alright ,2 maybe 3 is a bit much I think.

The one you get is for the punch though, you get nothing extra.

I hate fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:43 pm

Yeah I know you get a point for the punch an additional point would probably suffice. Can be hard to tell when it's a slip like happened Taylor once or twice or a genuine knock down like Nevin on Sunday

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by I hate fish Thu 09 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

Thomond wrote:Yeah I know you get a point for the punch an additional point would probably suffice. Can be hard to tell when it's a slip like happened Taylor once or twice or a genuine knock down like Nevin on Sunday

If all the judges class it as a knockdown, like when our girl knocked the Chinese girl down, it should be worth more than a glancing blow that can count as a point. In Pro boxing, you get knocked down, you lose the round, Yet there was one fight someone got knocked down 5 times and won the round, the only reason it was over turned was because it should have been the three knockdown rule.

I hate fish

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 7:10 am

The whole scoring system seems very odd to me. The knockdown is defo worth more than the 1 point for a punch. I would say 1 point for the punch plus an additional 1 or 2 points for the knockdown.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:19 am

Its because amateur boxing is supposed to focus on skill and seeking clean hits above power head hunting. They are trying to discourage knockouts, whereas pro boxing encourages them.
Its the same with TKD which is basically fencing with legs. Im still waiting to see someone bust out the crane

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:37 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Its because amateur boxing is supposed to focus on skill and seeking clean hits above power head hunting. They are trying to discourage knockouts, whereas pro boxing encourages them.
Its the same with TKD which is basically fencing with legs. Im still waiting to see someone bust out the crane

That’s exactly it. amateur boxing is only focused on clean hits, not knockouts.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:40 am

But surely more knockouts are going to happen as a result of focussing more on clean hits so why not recieve a bonus point for it?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:47 am

Not necessarily Bill, you can partially block a shot to the chin and get knocked down, it won’t score though.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 10 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

Definitely should count more. You can tell the difference between a slip and a knockdown, the Taylor n Adams examples yesterday showed that. Agree with not encouraging head hunting in the amateur ranks so 1 point for the clean punch and 1 bonus point for the knockdown would suffice. That said the scoring has been so shocking this Olympics that it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:00 am

Mickado wrote:Not necessarily Bill, you can partially block a shot to the chin and get knocked down, it won’t score though.

Of course that can happen but with the more cleaner shots encouraged then the more chance there is of a knockdown...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:03 am

[quote="eirebilly"]
Mickado wrote:Not necessarily Bill, you can partially block a shot to the chin and get knocked down, it won’t score though.

Of course that can happen but with the more cleaner shots encouraged then the more chance there is of a knockdown...[/quote

So you get a point for the clean shot, but not one for the power to get the knockdown.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

It’s fundamental to the sport that knockouts aren’t encouraged.

This would be like suggesting why not allow forward passes in rugby because it would make things more interesting.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Aug 2012, 11:50 am

I know that its not encouraged and maybe by offering the extra point it would encourage fighters to go more for the knockout. I am just saying that by encouraging cleaner hits by improving the timing and skill of boxers then knockdowns are going to happen due to cleaner harder punches landing so i just dont see why they cant offer that extra point for it.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

The scoring in Olympic boxing is terrible and very confusing. Even the commentators and experts like Lennox Lewis find it difficult to follow. This will be changed for the next Olympics where they will introduce the same scoring system as professional boxing where you win rounds instead of points for landing. The whole Olympic boxing scoring seems like pot luck at the moment and I have watched alot of it and been very disappointed.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm

I have found it relatively easier to find out what gets you points and not, you kind of develop it after watching a fair few of the amtches but that might be just me.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:19 pm

There is no way of telling what punches have scored and what have not. They got rid of the system where you could see each shot being registered individually. Now all you see is a score in between rounds but there is no telling which of the punches counted in the round and which did not.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:21 pm

I'm grasping it alright, it's more or less the top part of the glove, a clean shot to the body or face, can see why people struggle with it though.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 10 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

eirebilly wrote: i just dont see why they cant offer that extra point for it.

Because offering the extra point will encourage boxers to hit harder, they are trying to discourage that. Only clean hits score, so theres no need to do anything more to encourage clean hitting.

As for the scoring system there was a whole host of problems with the old one, including corners knowing if their fighter was ahead or not which encouraged even more negative covering up and cuddling in the final round. It also encouraged broadcasters to be even more critical of the scorers which gives a bad impression (if deserved) of the sport.
The current system is more like pro boxing in that you dont know who the winner is till its announced.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Aug 2012, 10:18 am

Apparently the boxing folk are suing the BBC over their allegations that payments were made by Azebijan in return for medals.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down