The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time?

+13
Glas a du
Shifty
shoggy_huw
Ramilas1
Mad for Chelsea
compelling and rich
MR. scotland27
kedz
B91212
wales606
Thomond
bizarromckay
Adam D
17 posters

Go down

Who is the best No 8 ever?

Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap2%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap10%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap15%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 7 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap38%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 18 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap8%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap4%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap0%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap13%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 6 ]
[ 0 ]
Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_lcap10%Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 48

Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Empty Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time?

Post by Adam D Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

The next in the "Greatest ever" series - the no8.

The controlling force behind the scrum, the No. 8, completes the pack in this Greatest Ever: Rugby Union countdown. Normally tall and athletic, but incredibly strong, they are key ball winners with the strength of forwards and the speed of some backs.

Some huge names (both in status and physicallity) adorn this list.

Let us know your thoughts (and obvious ommissions!).

Cheers

H

Last edited by Hobo on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Empty Re: Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time?

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:06 am

Sergio Parisse for me. He's just a rugby player that I admire completely and I believe he could walk into any side. The real heart of the Italian side, I don't think I've ever seen him give a bad performance for his country.

My 2nd choice would have been Zinzan Brooke.

Back to top Go down

Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time? Empty Re: Who is the best No8 in Rugby Union of all time?

Post by bizarromckay Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:08 am

Scott Quinnell should at least be on the list...

bizarromckay

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:09 am

bizarromckay wrote:Scott Quinnell should at least be on the list...

As its only just gone up and I dont think anyone would have voted for him yet, I have added him for you!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bizarromckay Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

O cheers. Now that's service!

bizarromckay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2011, 9:12 am

argh Scott! I knew there was someone I was missing. Might have to change my vote now - he was an excellent player both for Llanelli and Wales!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 14 Apr 2011, 1:27 pm

Zinzan Brooke for all round skills.His drop goal was superb! How many No.8s could do that?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Apr 2011, 1:44 pm

Have to agree with the majority vote so far.
Zinzan Brooke all the way baby!

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 3:45 pm

Since I havent seen most of the older no8s ill have to go for Parrise - for his influence more than anything - Hari second
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 4:41 pm

Tough choice - went for Brooke but it was close with any from Parrise, Quinnell & Dallaglio also worth a shout. Not sure about George Smith being on the list - amazing open side in his day but only really played No8, where he was nowehere near as effective, because Aus wanted him and Waugh both in the starting 15 (unless there is another George Smith from before my time that I don't know about).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by kedz Thu 14 Apr 2011, 5:09 pm

can still remember Dayglo thundering over the try line with 3 or 4 Welshman clinging onto his back. complete hero for wasps fans, seen him drag wasps to several cups almost single handed, was always in the right place at the right time to do what was necessary, even if it was slowing the ball down and getting sin binned. offered so much more than just what you could see from the stands, for that reason, when combined with just being a class player, he gets my vote.

kedz

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Thu 14 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

I think, as much as it pains me to say it, Lawrence Dallaghio is one of the best number 8's in the last 30 years. His passion and physicallity were almost unbeatable. His record for wasps was more than outstanding, as there were times when he carried the team almost on his own. His international record is as good as well, winning the world cup and going on three lions tours.
Truly he is a modern great.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 15 Apr 2011, 1:45 pm

i went for zin zan too, pretty much all rounder when during his time alot of 8's were just ball carriers. modern day 8 before anybody else

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 15 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

well I'm too young to have seen Zinzan play, and though from the videos I've seen he looks awesome I can't really justify voting for him. From those I've seen it's between Parisse, Quinell and Dallaglio. I've gone for Dallaglio for his all round game (powerful carrier, great hands, etc.)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramilas1 Fri 15 Apr 2011, 6:10 pm

I love these "greatest" lists, but must quibble that current players are included.... especially if they have much of their career still ahead of them.

Spies and Parisse, at only 25 and 27 have no place on this list; So'oialo and Harinordoquy still playing at international level at 31 have only a marginal right, Smith at only 30 but retired from international rugby likewise .... in my humble opinion!

Could I suggest that there be a split between retired players (greatest ever) and current players (greatest now) in later votes ....
.... us oldies could reminisce from memory and the youngsters can add their 2 pence worth based on Google and YouTube ....
.... and the other way round for the current players. Very Happy

Anyway, my vote goes with Zinzan Brooke because he had such an influence on what the role of the No.8 has now become in Rugby.

As an Irishman, I can only wish that Jamie Heaslip continues in his current vein of form and is worthy of a similar list in the future, but hopefully not for about another 8 or 10 years yet! Yahoo
Ramilas1
Ramilas1

Location : Warsaw, Poland; formerly Bracknell, Loughborough, Bordon, several others - and Ireland originally

Back to top Go down

Post by shoggy_huw Fri 15 Apr 2011, 9:42 pm

what surprises me that in all these polls are that the players mentioned are all in the last 20 years.Rugby started long before that.Wilson Whinnery grt all black 8 and capt

shoggy_huw

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:54 pm

shoggy -the problem there is with the professional introduction alot of the real older players would be left in the wake of todays modern rugby players. people like zin zan were modern day rugby players before there time. brooke, lomu, johnsen all would have been great in any era

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by shoggy_huw Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:16 pm

Sorry Compelling i disagree Lomu possibly Zinzan and Johnson No.The latter covered both amateur and pro however a grt skipper not necessary the greatest in his position i believe Meads and Mcbride transcend all in his position.
So would you say a modern professional No 9 such as Joost was better then edwards going Catchpole Jeeps i am not sure

shoggy_huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 29 Apr 2011, 9:42 pm

Zinzn Brooke for me, awesome player.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 29 Apr 2011, 11:04 pm

Faletau's getting closer by the game.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 01 May 2011, 6:43 pm

Glas a du wrote:Faletau's getting closer by the game.

Lets see him drop a goal from outside the 22 with the entire English pack bearing down on him, then I will rate him as high as Brooke :flag:
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 01 May 2011, 9:13 pm

I didn't say he was there. He is coming along nicely though. He has the strength to randy or even :spank: teams.

Sorry, I just wanted to get those in.

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 08 May 2011, 8:28 pm

Brooke for me. Awesome. Complete player.

Scott Quinnell?? Scott Quinnell?? Has someone been drinking?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sun 08 May 2011, 8:30 pm

Definitely some welsh tinted glasses navy.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 12 May 2011, 4:43 pm

what's wrong with Quinnell? he was an awesome number 8.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2011, 6:53 pm

MR. scotland27 wrote:Definitely some welsh tinted glasses navy.

Suppose it's similar to calling Tom Smith the best ever prop really isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 18 May 2011, 7:24 pm

Alun Pask.Abertillery,Wales & Lions.Groundbreaking no.8.Awesome player who had it all.RIP.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 18 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Over the years the role has changed,Hennie Muller took over the role of the "rover".From the NZ 2-3-2 days.Players like Jim Parker,or Maurice Brownlie and Bill Clark.Were in the Muller style of number 8 play.Over the years Number 8 came to be known as a second scrum half,an rear gunner in the lineout,a cover defender,and a link man ,marauder.Over the years many greats have played there at times,Kel Tremain,wilson Whineray,Ian Clarke,Brian Lochore,Stephen Fry,Murray Mexted,Alun Pask.Alot of fiery Irish and French men whose name escapes me.BUT there is NO one great player certainly not Pierre Spies who is decidely average at best.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down