The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why?

+2
Danny_1982
hawkeye
6 posters

Go down

Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why? Empty Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why?

Post by hawkeye Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Djokovic is a pretty interesting player himself so why when the media get a chance to find out a little more about him are they more interested in what he has to say about another player? And why is Djokovic so happy to talk this other player up? These few quotes are interesting...

"There were different kinds of talk with the rivalries between Roger and Rafa, between me and Rafa, me and Roger, and then Andy. So there is really no story that I can say, 'Okay, that's the right one'," the Serb said of the debate.

"Andy was always part of that group of the top players. For about the last four, five years he's been in top four in the world. Now he has won Olympic Games. He's played couple of grand slam finals, so he deserves to be up there."

Djokovic said he was impressed by how Murray had coped with an emotional and high-pressure summer at home.

"It was definitely impressive performance from him at Wimbledon and at the Olympic Games even more," the Serb said.

"He always has pressure when he plays in London, in Britain. It's huge pressure on him. But I guess he's going to agree ... that over the years you get that necessary experience to know how to cope with that certain pressure.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/08/14/tennis-djokovic-murray-idUKL4E8JE68120120814

Why do the media expect a top tennis player to validate a rival? And why does a top tennis player feel the need to play this game?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why? Empty Re: Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why?

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Err.... What is the point here?

Is this the first time a tennis player has talked about a rival? No, they do it all the time.

I mean yeah, its a pretty dull interview. But I've heard all the top 4 talk about other top players multiple times, almost always in positive terms. Why does this particular one deserve any attention?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why? Empty Re: Djokovic Talks Murray Up... But Why?

Post by socal1976 Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 am

Yeah I tend to agree with Danny. I think Novak has genuine affection for Andy they are friends. The media has to talk about something, and maybe they ask that question to see if there is a hint of controversy that will pop up. I think people are generally interested in how the top guys get along you know are they freindly or not? I don't particularly get that worked up about it. In terms of validating a rival I would suppose the opinion of a multiple slam champion or any great player is valued by the press as sort of an expert opinion and that seems reasonable.

Hawekey is right about one thing it is kind of tedious and ends turning the press into pre-teen girls trying to figure who likes who and who has dinner with who. It doesn't add much to the knowledge or enjoyment of the games.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

facepalm
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 am

Aha!! This is where Hawkeye is

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:08 am

I think it's because he is a straightforward guy with poise, manners, generosity, and maturity who has the confidence that goes with knowing that he's got nothing to prove. He also understands that what he's got to do when he faces his rivals is go out and let his racquet do the talking because what he says to the press won't alter the outcome.

It's not a surprise that someone with those characteristics puzzles the OP.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 am

barrystar wrote:I think it's because he is a straightforward guy with poise, manners, generosity, and maturity who has the confidence that goes with knowing that he's got nothing to prove. He also understands that what he's got to do when he faces his rivals is go out and let his racquet do the talking because what he says to the press won't alter the outcome.

It's not a surprise that someone with those characteristics puzzles the OP.

Plus Andy and Novak are genuine friends, who I relish forming some kind of weird punditry double act, once they retire !!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down