The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal Out of US Open

+13
luciusmann
slashermcguirk
carrieg4
User 774433
socal1976
Danny_1982
time please
laverfan
Josiah Maiestas
JuliusHMarx
dummy_half
HM Murdock
The Special Juan
17 posters

Go down

Nadal Out of US Open Empty Nadal Out of US Open

Post by The Special Juan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:35 pm

I'm watching the Cincy tennis and Mark Petchey has said Nadal has withdrawn from the US Open. So I went on their website and found this.

"Rafael Nadal, the 2010 US Open men’s singles champion, has withdrawn from the 2012 US Open due to injury.

US Open Tournament Director David Brewer issued this statement regarding Nadal’s withdrawal:

"Rafa has informed us that he will not be ready to compete at the US Open this year and has withdrawn from the tournament. We hope to see him back on the court soon and look forward to his return to New York next year.”

In a statement, Nadal expressed his disappointment at not being able to compete in New York this year.

"I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play and have to withdraw from this year's US Open in NYC. I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions. I want to say hi and thanks to all the fans in particular to the New Yorkers. I'll miss you all this year at the Open!"

Nadal, the world No. 3, has not competed since losing in the second round of Wimbledon in June, due to a knee injury that caused him to miss the 2012 London Olympics and all tournaments in the Emirates Airline US Open Series.

The 26-year-old Spaniard won his seventh Roland Garros title earlier this year for his 11th career Grand Slam singles title and his victory at the 2010 US Open completed a career Grand Slam. Last year, he was the US Open men’s singles runner-up, falling to Novak Djokovic in a four-set final."

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-15/201208151345044764665.html?promo=home

Tough luck for him but either Djokovic and Federer must be smiling now.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Nadal Out of US Open Empty Re: Nadal Out of US Open

Post by HM Murdock Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:38 pm

That's bad news for him and for the tournament.

So, who wants to predict that Murray will be in Novak's side of the draw?

Socal, over to you!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:46 pm

Well, his silent suspension must have been for a serious doping offence Wink

Sad that he's not going to be there, as he was one of only 5 players who had a significant chance of winning - if fit, I'd have put him as 3rd favourite quite well behind Fed and Djokovic but marginally ahead of Murray and Del Potro.

Hope that he eventually gets on top of these knee issues and can compete across a full season (maybe skipping a few tournaments) in the next couple of years.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 4:47 pm

Apparently it's "something a bit different" from his usual knee injury.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

The longer he's injured the more difficult it will be to get back to his previous level, if it can be done at all.
I hope this isn't the fulfillment of all those predictions by people who said his body would never last the pace, although it does sort of look that way.
Still, he's had a glittering career so far - not much consolation at the moment, I suppose.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

No doubt his fans will use this as a vehicle of hate when/if Federer makes a success in NY. I've heard the US Open clashes with his honorary participation in the Tour de Tenerife.

Get well soon though Rafi.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:07 pm

The Special Juan wrote:... Nadal, the world No. 3, has not competed since losing in the second round of Wimbledon in June, due to a knee injury that caused him to miss the 2012 London Olympics and all tournaments in the Emirates Airline US Open Series. ...
Does the "due to a knee injury" refer to the "losing in the second round of Wimbledon"?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:11 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:... Nadal, the world No. 3, has not competed since losing in the second round of Wimbledon in June, due to a knee injury that caused him to miss the 2012 London Olympics and all tournaments in the Emirates Airline US Open Series. ...
Does the "due to a knee injury" refer to the "losing in the second round of Wimbledon"?

:roflmao:

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

Very sad news, but have to say it was expected after he hinted on Spanish television a few days ago that he wasn't sure about his preparation.

He is very young still and is not going to have to rehabilitate after surgery so I don't think this absence has any bearing on his success next year. He has only been absent since late June so we are still only talking weeks, not months away from the tour.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm

Well this does open up the draw. I for one am disappointed that Rafa will not be there. Let's take some positives. If your Feds or Djoko you would be relishing the chance to win a 2nd Slam this year.

I am now really looking forward to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:16 pm

Shame. Tennis is the loser here.

I hope he recuperates well and is back sooner rather than later.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

From 2009 - http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4272537

Nadal's current absence is longer than the last 2009 one, IIRC.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Shame. Tennis is the loser here.

*Facepalm*

Tennis will be good as usual. It's Nadal who's been injured, not tennis.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

If you were an ardent Nadal fan I would say now would be the time to be more than concerned.

I am hoping this can pave the way for Murray!! Nadal Out of US Open 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:If you were an ardent Nadal fan I would say now would be the time to be more than concerned.

It would help if USO was played on grass.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:34 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:If you were an ardent Nadal fan I would say now would be the time to be more than concerned.

It would help if USO was played on grass.

One can hope Nadal Out of US Open 3559488474

Let's hope he misses Djokovic or Federer Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:35 pm

Yeah I feel for the guy and his fans like Haddie and IMBL. The guy deserves a better shake, he really could have smashed some incredible records if he had even reasonable health. I hate to see great players in their prime struck down by injuries.

With all the talk about how awful this site is by certain detractors it is refreshing to have a post about a Rafa injury without the usual suspects jumping to talk about how he either is faking or deserves it because of his brand of tennis. That is what we would have seen six months ago on this site.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:38 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:Shame. Tennis is the loser here.

*Facepalm*

Tennis will be good as usual. It's Nadal who's been injured, not tennis.

A facepalm from a notorious wum does not bother me.

I'm not a Nadal fan, but I think that slams needs stars and Rafa - like or loathe him - is a big star.

I'll enjoy it just as much personally, but I stand by what I said because its a shame for tennis I think.

Couldn't possibly care less if you agree or not.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:39 pm

Murray may become ATP #3, because Nadal drops 1200 points to drop down to 7,695. Murray is at 7,200 (after dropping Cincy). He needs at least the Final (600 points) to be at 7,800, which means he has to defeat Djokovic (or whoever comes out from Djokovic's quarter).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yeah I feel for the guy and his fans like Haddie and IMBL. The guy deserves a better shake, he really could have smashed some incredible records if he had even reasonable health. I hate to see great players in their prime struck down by injuries.

With all the talk about how awful this site is by certain detractors it is refreshing to have a post about a Rafa injury without the usual suspects jumping to talk about how he either is faking or deserves it because of his brand of tennis. That is what we would have seen six months ago on this site.
Thanks Socal Sad

He is already the greatest clay-courter of all time in the record books- and has done terrifically on other surfaces too.
I really really hope he can quickly recover from this. The rest of the year- post-USO is gone for him, that is clear.
However he really doesn't do too well in the indoor season anyway.
Better he rests, recoveres and comes back strongly for 2013.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:42 pm

Commiserations to Nadal fans (including you, HE Wink).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

laverfan wrote:Murray may become ATP #3, because Nadal drops 1200 points to drop down to 7,695. Murray is at 7,200 (after dropping Cincy). He needs at least the Final (600 points) to be at 7,800, which means he has to defeat Djokovic (or whoever comes out from Djokovic's quarter).
Rankings Laugh

Who cares about rankings.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:46 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yeah I feel for the guy and his fans like Haddie and IMBL. The guy deserves a better shake, he really could have smashed some incredible records if he had even reasonable health. I hate to see great players in their prime struck down by injuries.

Thanks Socal Sad

He is already the greatest clay-courter of all time in the record books- and has done terrifically on other surfaces too.
I really really hope he can quickly recover from this. The rest of the year- post-USO is gone for him, that is clear.
However he really doesn't do too well in the indoor season anyway.
Better he rests, recoveres and comes back strongly for 2013.

I said the same thing about Djokovic last year after the USO on this site and everyone jumped on me. After the USO final I said he should shutdown till Oz when he got hurt in the Davis Cup. In retrospect coming back and taking silly loses when he wasn't 100 percent didn't provide anything to him but a dent to his confidence. I think Nadal should shutdown till Australia, if he does I bet he will comeback and run roughshod next year as Fed and Djoko kill themselves to get the number 1 and the USO.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Aug 2012, 5:47 pm

This won't be that bad for Rafa really. He misses the surface that he's weakest on, and will be fresh for Melbourne after his tough loss in Jan. It's a good chance for Tsonga, DP and Ferrer though.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:28 pm

I agree JM, if he shuts it down to AO and comes back fresh with a mini-hiatus it might be the best thing for his body and career longterm.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 6:32 pm

It is a real shame. Hopefully, given proper rest his problem will resolve completely and he will come out strong next year.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:13 pm

real shame to hear this. You need nadal at the slams whether you are a fan or not. He brings such intensity to his matches. He has really gone up in my estimation in recent times. Always been a big Novak fan but used to always prefer Federer back in the day over Nadal. However over the past couple of years I have started to like Nadal more and more. He is very gracious in defeat and I really admire the fighter in him, not to mention his obvious talent. Still think he is one of the most under rated volleyers in the game.

What I admire about Federer is his skill and longevity at the top of the game but I dont particularly like his personality.

Get well soon Rafa, a real loss for the game at the moment. By the way if Federer is drawn with Djokovic again at US Open, it is definitely becoming farcical. For something different I hope that its a Federer vs Murray semi.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

Great post slasher, can't disagree with any of your sentiments, Nadal is actually a very good volleyer, it is said when any of the big, big guys miss out on large chunks of the season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 15 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

It is a shame and having read most of Rafa's autobiography recently, it's the sort of thing I expected him to do. He values his health a great deal (as we all should) and it's understandable he's playing it safe rather than potentially risking his long term health.

There is a strong possibility that Rafa might finish as Y.E. No.3 and outside the top 2 Y.E. for the first time since 2004. Rafa's woes certainly certainly translate into Murray's and Federer's boon. Federer now has no one with a proven track record of beating him in grand slams to worry about apart from Djokovic who he'd meet in the final (where it would be 50/50). Murray's chances are better but Nadal's withdrawal affects him less because he wouldn't have had to face Nadal (unless he had got to the final) but he still has a tough job: he has to potentially face Djokovic and Federer in back to back matches, a big ask. I believe he can beat one, but both? It's a tough ask.

Fed winning the USO would make his resurrection complete and pretty much give him the Y.E. No.1 to boot. I don't think most of us Fed fans ever thought Fed would win #17 let alone have a shot @ #18 so quickly after #17. I think Nadal will come back and come back stronger, the question is more when, not if. If it's in time for the Aussie Open (he competes and gets far), then I think that will probably help Djokovic but if it's after, it probably helps Federer. Certainly Nadal's absence shakes things up for the other top players.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:17 pm

Very sad to hear of Nadal's withdrawal from the US Open. Here's hoping Rafa is back in the near future as his presence is missed.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:42 pm

Delighted to hear of Nadal's withdrawal. Here's hoping his presence and cringeworthy trophy biting aremt missed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 15 Aug 2012, 8:55 pm

super_realist wrote:Delighted to hear of Nadal's withdrawal. Here's hoping his presence and cringeworthy trophy biting aremt missed.
You're the type of person who eats dog food in the face of his dog...
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

What the bell does that mean?
Good riddance to Nadal.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Aug 2012, 11:11 pm

super_realist wrote:Delighted to hear of Nadal's withdrawal. Here's hoping his presence and cringeworthy trophy biting aremt missed.

About 50 of them have bite marks and can never be stolen. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 16 Aug 2012, 7:38 am

Didn't realise The Guardian censors posts on this page Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:29 am

super_realist wrote:Didn't realise The Guardian censors posts on this page Rolling Eyes

You mean you haven't read the Site Rules that you agreed to follow when you joined the forum? I can post a link to them if you'd like.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Nah no need Julius, just easy to forget that certain boards are not quite so " Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" sensitive.

Perhaps if i'd referred to Nadal as a degenerate, unscrupulous jackanapes who lacks forthrightness (in my opinion) it might have been deemed more felicitous for the umbrageous readership

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by bradman99.94 Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:52 am

Anyone know when Rafa’s absence will mean a drop out of the top 4 (should it continue) and therefore a chance of him meeting the other 3 in the q/f’s?

bradman99.94

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 16 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

He's so far ahead of Ferrer in 5th (3400 points) that it's unlikely he'll fall out of the top 4 before he comes back.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu 16 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

I don't usually watch him unless he plays against a player I like so I can't say I'll miss him. While I won't say he deserves it for his style of play, I kind of believe it is the trade off for playing with that kind of physicality. He lasted longer than most people thought and to be honest I think he'll last longer still as I don't think he's done yet. I think he'll be back next year to do a Rafa slam as to be honest who can beat him? For his own sake and for the sake of his fans who get pleasure out of watching him, I hope he recovers well.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8271517/tennis-time-push-panic-button-rafael-nadal

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-08-17/10502.php

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down