The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass Eye - Paedogeddon

4 posters

Go down

Brass Eye - Paedogeddon Empty Brass Eye - Paedogeddon

Post by Marky Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:11 am

When Chris Morris' spoof documentary "Brass Eye" tackled paedophilia and the media's hysteria and hypocrisy on the subject in 2001, the reaction was huge. A record 3000 complaints were made, newspapers were outraged, one politician called it "unspeakably sick" despite later admitting to having not seen the show. David Blunkett said he was "dismayed" by the show, which is odd considering his blindness.

For those who haven't seen this show, want to remind yourself of it or just want to watch it again, here it is in all it's 27 minute glory - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLyLGrbKokI

My question is, would this have had the same backlash if it was broadcast for the first time in 2012? 11 years on, no-one has dared touch the subject in this way, although with comedians becoming more and more risque, pushing the boundaries further and going all out for that shock factor, how would "Paedogeddon" be judged today? Would the media backlash have been so fierce if they weren't the target?

My personal viewpoint is that I found it funny because it was so shocking at the time, and anything that satirises the media can't be too bad!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Brass Eye - Paedogeddon Empty Re: Brass Eye - Paedogeddon

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

Nonse-sence.

Brilliant.

The show was genius. Everybody is so up tight and self-righteous these days I doubt the reaction would be any different.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 22 Aug 2012, 4:07 pm

Agree Marky.

I think most people missed the point and focused on the paedophilia aspect, rather than the satirising of the media hysteria surrounding it.

And anything that takes the mickey out of the media can only be a good thing...especially in the wake of the NOTW / phone hacking / Murdoch scandal.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 22 Aug 2012, 8:55 pm

Definately Dyre (like the name by the way) - the scaremongering by the NOTW (good riddance, not good enough for chip paper) was shocking, sick and ridiculous.

Monkey Dust casts Rupert Murdoch as the 'PedoFinder General' taking the mick out of the NOTW and Sun in the same sort of vein (though much darker of course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljTIKSCBdOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4mK7BICFM

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum