The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal's greatest fear arrives

+8
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
time please
The Special Juan
barrystar
bogbrush
Tennisanorak
12 posters

Go down

Nadal's greatest fear arrives Empty Nadal's greatest fear arrives

Post by Tennisanorak Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:10 pm

Rafael Nadal is a tennis player who has embodied suffering more than anyone else. While this was always obvious, the following article was an eye-opener as to how much the extent of the suffering is:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nadal-on-brink-of-oblivion-as-his-greatest-fear-arrives/story-e6frg7mf-1226452902007

It's quite amazing to see that in spite of all this, he has managed to have the career that he has had.

Tennisanorak

Back to top Go down

Nadal's greatest fear arrives Empty Re: Nadal's greatest fear arrives

Post by Guest Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:44 pm

Got to say TA that is a stunning read.

Some will still cast doubt about how he managed to get 7 years from his career with such a problem with 'competitive spirit' alone.

I do feel sad for him for the fact he has had foot problems. If his career ended tomorrow, I for one would be sad and I am sure some will marvel and toast that the 'evil' of tennis as gone. I just hope his legacy will be one of fine wine that will grow in flavour.

I think the fact it has been rather quiet suggests that they are at a 'crossroads' with his body and how much more it can take.

clap thanks for sharing TA.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 23 Aug 2012, 3:47 pm

Blimey, that's rough.

The only problem is that there's been so much untruth come out of the camp that one never knows what to believe. He's not alone, Federer lies constantly although always in the direction of saying he's fine when he's not. Still, I never know when to believe him on that point either.

This has a ring of truth though, and obviously he is missing events.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

That sounds very rough - compensation for one injury always begets another and I can see how it would be a matter of time. If it's true you've got to accept that he's managed to fit a hell of a lot into the time allotted for his career so far.

I agree with BB that top players rarely give you the full truth about their physical state - it's not usually in their interest to do so and it's only fair not to be overly critical when someone is giving you some old pap about their health.

Also, we don't know how much journalistic licence goes into articles like this - I was not convinced by the suggestion that he can't get out of bed before 1pm.

As I noted in another (obviously not very popular) thread, he has apparently booked to play an exhibition at MSG in NYC next March and tickets go on sale in October, so somebody thinks he'll be around playing then.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:57 pm

Very sad to hear. It doesn't sound good although I'd take everything said with a slight pinch of salt. They don't want to say everything will be ok because that will put pressure on him so if they say it's bad then he's not expected to return. He's had a great career so far. I don't believe it's over yet though. Life in the not-so-old dog yet.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:09 am

I linked the same newspaper story on Hawkeye's lament on the absence of Rafa.

If it is all true, then it is miraculous he has achieved so much. But the following extract really stands out for me:

"Privately, he admits to feeling surprised and blessed to have lasted this long. His coach and uncle, Toni, was on Spanish radio this week to downplay concerns about Nadal's latest knee complaint being career-threatening, but Toni speaks with a forked tongue."

That is the issue - while it is entirely logical that a foot deformity would lead to strain on his knees and back and result in tendinitis, it is not so easy to believe, as Toni would have us do, that the tendons are now 'better than ever'

I wish Nadal well and hope to see him back soon, but I'm afraid I don't take anything from the forked tongued one with anything but a large salt cellar nowadays! There are just too many stories and too many inconsistencies

Also, was it this article (can't be bothered to go back and check) where Toni says in 2005 'we hope to get two more years out of him' - now I know I have to allow for things being lost in translation, but this still seems very wrong to me. 'get two more years for him' I understand, but 'out of him' rather confirms to me everything I think about the way Nadal was hot-housed by Toni.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 24 Aug 2012, 8:13 am

I won't be writing Rafa off yet but this article is worrying. Still I expect and hope to see him back soon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

Quite a bit of this comes from his Rafa book. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

Will Swanton is another mercenary tennis writer hyping up Nadal's achievements.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 24 Aug 2012, 11:46 am

laverfan wrote:Quite a bit of this comes from his Rafa book. Wink

Exactly - it's a load of hagiographic BS.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 24 Aug 2012, 3:37 pm

reckoner wrote:
laverfan wrote:Quite a bit of this comes from his Rafa book. Wink

Exactly - it's a load of hagiographic BS.

Such things do contain some very highly allegorical writings.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:08 am

"Nadal's greatest fear arrives"

He can no longer get a chance to exact revenge on Lukas Rosol in the future on his favourite Red dirt surface at Roland Garros.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:53 am

I don't think Nadal is losing any sleep over Rosol on any surface.
ATP will be the ones most fearing ongoing Nadal absence given he's their biggest box office draw alongside Fed.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 25 Aug 2012, 12:58 pm

Lydian - agree that Raqfa's absence is bad for the box office. For some the Spaniard is the pantomime villain that the "good" guys have to overcome.
The USO is going to feel different without him. OK, he went out early at Wimbledon, but he was beaten by someone, not beaten by injury as in New York.
I reckoned Rafa would win at least two GS in 2012 and move a bit closer to Rog's total. I can't see him changing his style of play so we may have to get used to these injuries. This lay off seems worse than the 2009 one, but at least he had a stellar year in 2010 after missing a big chunk of summer 09.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 25 Aug 2012, 2:03 pm

lydian wrote:I don't think Nadal is losing any sleep over Rosol on any surface.
ATP will be the ones most fearing ongoing Nadal absence given he's their biggest box office draw alongside Fed.
Nadal played one of his best ever matches that day against Rosol, if not for his great play, Rosol could have won in 3.

We may never see Nadal play that well ever again, it injured him badly playing to that unseen level. OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down