The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
NedB-H
Redrage
AlciG
Hibbz
incontinentia
mystiroakey
princedracula
McLaren
skiddy
GPB
John Cregan
super_realist
sirbenson
navyblueshorts
robopz
SmithersJones
Shotrock
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 28 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Congratulations to Nick Watney for winning Play-Off Act 1 at The Barclays. Seventeen greens hit in regulation on Sunday, plus a half mile in putts made during the week, did the trick in a compelling weekend's entertainment. I've enjoyed following Watney from his early days (actually even before that) on Tour, he's got a gorgeous swing and seems to have matured a little from his deer-in-the-headlights public persona. This has been a wasted year for him up until now, but a putting lesson or two from long-time New York area Club Pro (and occasional PGA Tour player) Darrell Kestner seems to have done the trick. For one week at least.

2).Watney has now added Bethpage Black to Torrey Pines, Doral, Aronomink and Pete Dye's TPC Louisiana, a handful of the Tour's stronger tests to have prevailed on, most of them emphatic wins just like this one.

3).The final round didn't go quite as Sergio would have wished, but what a week for him! Winner on Monday, 54-hole lead this weekend, Ryder Cup qualification and it seems as if even the US Press is happy to see him back.

4).Sergio extended his lead of modern era (Jacklin onwards) PGA Tour wins in North America for Europeans with Monday's triumph. Top ten:
1).Garcia - 8
2).Ballesteros - 6
2).Faldo - 6
2).Olazabal - 6
5).Lyle - 5
5).Parnevik - 5
5).Donald - 5
5).Pettersson - 5
9).McIlroy - 4
9).Rose - 4

5).Horses for courses note: Of the seven participants at The Barclays who had made the US Open cuts in 2002 and 2009, all seven made the Barclays cut, though only Garcia was in weekend contention.

6).What difference does this result, Watney's win, Sneds in second, Dustin third, make to Davis Love's Captain's conundrum? The Golf Channel have tabulated what the latest US Ryder Cup qualification results would look like if they had been extended by a fortnight:
9th: Mahan
10th: Snedeker
11th: Stricker
12th: Dustin
13th: Fowler
14th: Furyk
15th: Van Pelt
16th: Watney
Love's selection looked straightforward a week ago; not so much now.

7).And so to Act 2 of the FedEx quartet, or the meat in the Libor sandwich, following Barclays and preceding HSBC. We return to TPC Boston, not exactly in Boston, just barely in Massachusetts, to a once unpopular Arnold Palmer course which has been overhauled by Gil Hanse and Brad Faxon among others and is now well thought of by the Pros. The 18th hole is the latest to be tweaked and the course is close to being the finished product. Rain today should facilitate perfect conditions through Sunday. But see Note 10).

8).Last year Dustin Johnson made the record books by leading the tournament in driving distance AND driving accuracy. But he putted like a drain and finished 42nd, tough to do!
My three against the field this week though would be Dufner (his first top two finish was here, in 2009), Ogilvy and Luke Donald both of whom also have previous here. Dufner, of course, took last week off and Sergio is similarly giving "Boston" a miss.
So is David Toms who will thus be eliminated from the Play-Offs - no injury, off to batten down his Louisiana hatches in anticipation of the tropical storm, or to see his beloved LSU Tigers open their College Football season. Or both.

9).Most of the Europeans in action at the Deutsche Bank have safely secured their passage in the top 70 points list to next week's BMW action, but the following are on the bubble:
Jonas Blixt: 97th (needs very approximately at least a top 20 finish).
Greg Owen: 76th (needs a top 30 finish).
Brian Davis: 70th (needs a top 40 finish).
But others are well off the pace for the Tour Championship and could use a top result: Westwood, McDowell, Laird, Harrington and Poulter.

10).If any reminder is needed as to how insignificant top tournament golf is in the U.S. compared to "football", the overnight TV ratings for an exhibition pre-season NFL game (with most top players participating sparingly if at all) were exactly double those for The Barclays.
Perhaps that is why the "Deutsche Bank Championship" starts on this Friday and concludes on Monday, "Labor Day" in the States, so avoiding most of Sunday's NFL exhibition efforts. Then just two days before they tee off in the BMW, almost 1,000 miles to the west, on a Crooked Stick course in Indiana that hardly anyone will have played.
How ironic it would be if Tropical Storm "Isaac" which is making Hay(es) right now in the Gulf of Mexico, but could be in New England by week's end, gave the Tour's best Monday finish intentions the Shaft!

PS: Best wishes to Retief Goosen following his recent back operation . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:04 am

Hibbz wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Looks like Europe's opportunity in this event rest on the broad shoulder of Rory. I like his chances.

Like Poulter, not enamored with this course. A cart path running through the fairway? ... in a professional event never comes into play, but I assure you it does for many an amateur

There's a road/track running through the middle of the 18th at St. Andrews.

I really dislike Poulter.

He's realised that people think he's a pratt as opposed to "interesting" just because he wears bad clothes and has taken to being controversial to make him seem more interesting via tw@tter.

Hows about you win some golf tournaments bumflash?

disclaimer - I've never met/never will meet him so my opinion counts for next to nothing.

Good fun aiming for the tourists at TOC who don't look when crossing the road.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Play-Offs Act 2: Deutsche Bank: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:21 am

poults is a good lad that actually looks good on a golf course,,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:50 am

Depends on your definition of 'looks good' Oakey!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:27 am

Much is made of Poulter's attire, but I think people think of the old days with his union jack trousers, red hair etc. That was at least 6 years ago.

He's pretty sombre by comparison these days, but at least well tailored and fitted. Look at any picture of him in the last few years and he doesn't stand out as looking ridiculous or any different from most golfers at all.

I'd say his get up and style is infinitely more preferable to the poorly fitted Matalan look of Stewart Cink, the drabness and uniformity of Woods and his corrective ghastly trainer shoes or the outright preposterousness without a hint of irony exuded by Rickie Fowler and Hunter Mahan.

Let's be fair though, it's hard for anyone to make golf clothes look good. They are inherently uncool pieces of clothing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:41 am

I think he makes an effort. he is colour coordinated and thats it really. As SR says he isnt as vulgar as many others and certainly mellowed with age..

TBH i wear golf colthes most days. Trousers and a polo shirt. yeah they are allways lyle and scot, hogo boss etc, and i dont wear my checks- but its the perfect smart casual look for me in fairness..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

kwinigolfer wrote:How d'you like that 4-putt from 3 feet (or less) for Charl, two right-handed, the third left-handed, not sure about the fourth!

I saw that last night and was pretty amazed. It is very rare to see a pro giving up like that/getting so frustrated that they stop trying. I have a load of friends who have done that sort of thing in a monthly medal but one thing that pros don't tend to do is just throw in the towel. It was the left handed one that got me. Missing the first was bad, the 2nd was a little casual but the 3rd...if you are going to hit it with the back of your club you better be sure that it goes in!

His 4th was right handed by the way. Also he only had 33 putts yesterday in a round of 8 over.

If you haven't seen it:
http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/20025845/video-charl-schwartzel-four-putts-the-18th-hole-at-tpc-boston-from-three-feet

Last edited by twoeightnine on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add a link)

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:33 am

kwinigolfer wrote:S O'H needs to do much more if he is to punch his ticket to Pete Dye Central.
Why the interest in S O'Hair around here.... ?

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:36 am

someone knows him abit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

robo,
S O'H belongs to Aronomink, as does Shotrock. You'll occasionally see Jay Sigel notes also!

Setting up for a very interesting afternoon.
And an interesting morning also: imagine McDowell would want to be wheels up by about 11.00 a.m., so wonder how he gets on with Harrington?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:43 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Suggested earlier that if Rory were to win tomorrow that he might take next week off.
Likewise with Louis.
A win would guarantee a top five position going in to East Lake which is all that is needed.

Not sure I agree with that thinking... yes getting into the top 5 is of primary importance... but where you are in that top #5 is important too. In case the winner comes from outside the top-5... you have a better chance of "holding on" to the cup the higher you start... If you're #1 and you finish 2nd... #6 can't beat you...

Besides... the do get a week off AFTER the BMW... so I don't see either of these guys feeling the need for two weeks off.. especially for Oosty... he has no RC to play in after the playoffs.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:50 am

golfers dont really need time off do they- they can just take it if they want to!- its not exactly that demanding in the fact that they can play many events on auto pilot if they really want to

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

Try telling that to Shane Lowry, getting out of his car is difficult for him.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:54 am

kwinigolfer wrote:robo,
S O'H belongs to Aronomink, as does Shotrock. You'll occasionally see Jay Sigel notes also!

Setting up for a very interesting afternoon.
And an interesting morning also: imagine McDowell would want to be wheels up by about 11.00 a.m., so wonder how he gets on with Harrington?

Did anyone notice the awful body language between McIlroy & Harri at round 3 of the Open. McIlroy definately looked frustrated at the slow play..............then on the 18 th Harri was lining up a putt, He strolled behind the ball, and took a look, then decided he wasn't back far enough,so he walked around the greenside bunker and started lining it up again, then walked slowly back on to the green to start his laborious putting routine.........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

robo,
I'm not advocating missing the Beemer, just suggesting some might see it as an option, especially for those golfers for whom FedEx fortune might only be petty cash in the bigger scheme of things.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

Whatever Harrington's pace of play, he's not likely to be able to unfurl his brolly today, with a cool morning followed by a mostly sunny p.m., nothing too blustrous and any late shower (where did those come from yesterday?) not interfering with play.

More low scores in store!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

This is the final day of competition for Davis Cup selection.
These are the wild-card Ryders:

Mahan
Stricker
Furyk
Fowler
followed by:
Snedeker
Dustin J
Watney
Van Pelt
Haas
etc.

Would say that Love would have chosen the top four before the Play-Offs began, but Fowler's recent record has been poor, and Furyk's 65 yesterday was his first glimpse of top form since throwing away the Bridgestone.

Mahan has also been a bit dodgy, but would think he'll survive.

Popular choices going in to Round 4 today are Mahan, Stricker, Sneds and Dustin.

What do you think??!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 03 Sep 2012, 12:57 pm

Swap out Mahan for Watney and Stricker for Furyk (although I could understand keeping Stricker ... doesn't seem to ever beat himself and he's got those midwest roots)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Stricker and Donald will be the local boys!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Think I'd go Stricker, Butch's boys and either Furyk for his experience or BVP as he seems to have been there or thereabouts a lot lately.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

Id go for Stricker, Fowler, Dustin & Mahan......................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:00 pm

I want to see Stricker, DJ and Snedeker... other one... flip a coin. But I think it's still Furyk, as it probably has been with DL3 all along...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

I don't think Fowler goes, just hasn't been at the races all summer.

And nor has Mahan; the only reason I think he'd get picked is because he missed out so narrowly in the first place.

But that's the Wayne Levi argument isn't it. Avoid out-of-form players at all costs!

Big thing in Furyk's favour is his fantastic record last autumn in Melbourne.
Biggest thing against him is his awful Ryder Cup record!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:06 pm

I like Snedeker, he's one of the few American's with a personality.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:13 pm

I would think that Stricker is in for his ability to play with Woods. Beyond that you would say Furyk with his experience then you could make a case for any of them.

On form you would say Dustin and Watney I guess.

Is Medina a bombers course? I would guess that they will set it up that way so Dustin would be right up there for a pick.

As they will set it up for their strengths do you think that they will go for thick rough then have some nice short stuff about 30-60 yards from the centre of the fairways for Phil to use?! ;-)

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

Why professional golfers should not tweet:

Gil Hanse...
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
Is a man sausage according to Luke Donald.

http://www.dogschasingcars.com/2012/09/luke-donald-not-fan-of-tpc-boston.html

I assume Lukey was only kidding ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:31 pm

Personally, im still unsure as to whether they have the balance right with the "Re-set"............personally i don't agree with, like last year, Bill Haas being able to win it from 25th position before the Tour championship.........................following t24, t61 & t16 in the previous 3 playoff events.......................personally, i think the re-set should only allow (say) Top 15 win the Fed Ex................................

Haas didn't even know he won it after the event which shows hoe odd it ended up............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:32 pm

Luke was deadly serious so don't expect him to be tweeting for a while.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:45 pm

Schwartzel trying to play himself out of the Crooked Stick line-up . . . . .
Jason Day another who needs to get his skates on.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

Nice round in progress for Harrington..............at the moment it looks like he'll need a top 5 next week to progress to East Lake................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:

Popular choices going in to Round 4 today are Mahan, Stricker, Sneds and Dustin.

What do you think??!!
From a Euro perspective, the biggest concern is Dustin, by a distance. Would be a big mistake to leave him out, I think.
I'd also be surprised if Messrs Consistent, Jim and Steve don't get in. I reckon the final place will be a flip of a coin between Mahan and Watney, probably Mahan more likely to get it, and probably rightly so. But personally I think either Snedeker or BVP would be bigger threats, if I was captain I'd throw a curveball and pick one of those two, probably Bo as I like his temperament for this sort of thing. I can't see Davis doing that though.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

Kwin - That's too bad. Gil Hanse is someone I have met numerous times (lives in Malvern, PA) and can tell you first hand he's a nice guy. Like or loath his course design, but not a classy move by Lukey to get personal. Chalk it up to frustration.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 4:45 pm

Don't think Love will go for BOTH Furyk & Stricker.............maybe he'll ask Tiger which one of his old "buddies" he'd like to play with!

Personally, id love to see him pick Fowler & pair him with Mickelson.........

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:56 pm

Some big names being eliminated today:
Byrd
O'Hair
Day
English

Badds and Schwartzel teetering while Jonas Blixt and Veej need to retain current positions.

John,
Would agree that St.Padraig needs a top five next week . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:03 pm

Sad to watch Oosthuizen's troubles, looks like he doesn't know whether to drive through the ball or hang on. Neither is working on 4, 5 or 6.

Come on Rory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Sad to watch Oosthuizen's troubles, looks like he doesn't know whether to drive through the ball or hang on. Neither is working on 4, 5 or 6.

Come on Rory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of robbed us of a good duel, Louis seems more settled now though... Pity Rory had passed him and he'd gone back a stroke by that point.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

Louis needs to hole a putt!
Nice one crept in on #4 and not nuffink since then.

Rory looking very good!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Louis needs to hole a putt!
Nice one crept in on #4 and not nuffink since then.

Rory looking very good!

I think it's over in that respect, too much work to do now. McIlroy unlikely to come back and there are still birdies out there.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

That's better, Louis!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:That's better, Louis!

Yeah, we might get a bit of a tense finish after all!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:08 pm

Speaking if missed putts, DJ has not had any luck on the greens today.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:11 pm

170 yard drive?
I can do that.

NBC pretty sure Love will choose Snedeker and Stricker, DJ, Furyk, Mahan presumably have two spots between the three of them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:16 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:170 yard drive?
I can do that.

NBC pretty sure Love will choose Snedeker and Stricker, DJ, Furyk, Mahan presumably have two spots between the three of them.

How can they discount Watney? I reckon it will be Stricker, Snedeker, Watney and DJ.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:38 pm

It's a nailbiter after all!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:43 pm

Rory -4 on 18 for R1-3. Louis -1.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:48 pm

Stars and Stripes on the pins? I could understand 4th July, maybe Thanksgiving, but for Labor Day, really?

Is it me or is Oosthuizen gradually turning into Andrew Strauss?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

All's well that ends well I suppose, but a play-off would have been nice.

Ned,
Don't they stick a US flag on every 17th hole these days? Military Appreciation or something. More meaningful than universal health care, or good a better run Veteran's Administration I suppose. Flag probably made in China, like most of those we see in the shops.

Jonas Blixt's unlucky day - almost as if Jupiter had to align with Mars for him not to move on to Indiana.

Don't know much about Straus but some pic's of him have a touch of the Zach Johnsons about him . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

Schwartzel doubtful for next week as his injury has made a comeback.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 03 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

A fine round and tournament for Woods, but difficult to overcome the #1 player in the world. Well done Rory.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Tue 04 Sep 2012, 3:08 am

Stricker, DJ, Sneds and Mahan for me.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Sep 2012, 7:20 am

Shotrock wrote:A fine round and tournament for Woods, but difficult to overcome the #1 player in the world. Well done Rory.

Must be the first time in ages that the man sausage has put 4 good rounds together eh?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next