The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Britains next big thing

+4
azania
Sugar Boy Sweetie
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
8 posters

Go down

Britains next big thing Empty Britains next big thing

Post by Liam_Main Fri 15 Apr 2011, 4:07 pm

Britain has alot of up and coming fighters at the moment that could do very well at world level i'll name some and you decide wether or not they would do well at world level some could turn out to just be bums but some could turn out to be britains next big thing.

Liam Walsh
Frankie Gavin
Ronnie Hefron
Joe Selkirk
James Degale
Billy Joe Saunders
Callum Johnson
Tony Jeffries
Darren Barker
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Britains next big thing Empty Re: Britains next big thing

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:13 pm

Liam Walsh- Don't see him being anymore than European level but you never know their are that many world titles around.

Frankie Gavin- Could be a P4P top 10 fighter

Ronnie Hefron- Not seen much of him tbh

Joe Selkirk- Not had enough fights to judge him

James Degale- Future P4P top 3

Billy Joe Saunders- Could be a top level fighter but his hands might stop him.

Callum Johnson- European level just a Nas hype job.

Tony Jeffries- European level

Darren Barker- European level just not good enough.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:20 pm

James DeGale, absolutely no doubt about it. Slick southpaw skills, speed, good defense, quick hands, good combination punching and accuracy, the touch of arrogance the greatest sportsmen need and a visible technical class in the ring. Destined for world titles, this guy is by far the most talented of the current crop of up and coming British fighter IMO.

You left Cleverly off the list who I think is destined to do big things at world level too, and Gavin looks good. The rest will just have to wait and see, I have my reservations.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:22 pm

The fact Clev is about to fight for a world title should mean he can't be considered a prospect anymore. The days of easy fights should be behind him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 7:25 pm

Gavin and DeGale are the standouts there. Gavin for me will be immense.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:30 pm

After recent events, I can forsee Gavin being the reason for Khan's next fight in the UK.
DeGale is no doubt a huge talent, could see him moving up to LHW, being 'the man' at both.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm

Billy Shears wrote:After recent events, I can forsee Gavin being the reason for Khan's next fight in the UK.
DeGale is no doubt a huge talent, could see him moving up to LHW, being 'the man' at both.

I'd actually pick Gavin to beat Khan. He punches too accurately.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:35 pm

azania wrote:
Billy Shears wrote:After recent events, I can forsee Gavin being the reason for Khan's next fight in the UK.

Bit to early for that he's been in to soft to say he would beat Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:38 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

Bit to early for that he's been in to soft to say he would beat Khan.

Probably. I've been following him since he was in the amateurs. For me he looks pure class. His only failure is his tendancy to cut. It may not show, but I rate him highly. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:41 pm

How far do people think Kell Brook will go?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:42 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:How far do people think Kell Brook will go?

Euro level and may get a WBO strap and defend it against british fighters. I gather he has an attitude problem also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

He's got the talent but has an attitude problem. World Champion maybe but with so many titles about that isn't saying much. Worrying stall in his career might find it hard to get going again
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

Ok, he's not at Khan's level, but Michael Lomax is a tough fight to take early on, he made it look easy. Reminds me of Whitaker, actually.

Kell Brook has got a really smooth style, looks great in full flow, but I'm yet to see any real substance from him. I think this year could be a big year for him. A warm up fight in June, then maybe Mike Jones stateside later on in the year. I think he's got it in him to take world honours.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:55 pm

So do I but the stalling of his career may have stopped him achieving his full potential. Hasn't been in the ring or the gym when he should have been.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:17 pm

You're right, he has had a bit of a barren spell in his career recently. Shame, he was a busy boy 09/10. Can't comment on the attitude problem myself, but have heard it on numerous occasions. Hopefully his change of promoter combined with DeGale and Cleverly taking steps toward becoming household names will give him a kick up the aris.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:27 pm

I really think that Billy Joe is going to be a superstar If his hands hold up. The three olympians have the same style when they fight and i think it's ideal for the pro game, hit your opponents without taking too many shots. Degale is the silkiest, gvin is the most accurate and saunders is the hardest hitter.

I also think that kell brook could still make the big time. He has a new promoter who hopefully put him against tougher opponents than frank gave him. He could be a world champion but never #1 at WW.

Gavin and degale are the standouts of the bunch. Both are going to be multiple weight champions and top p4pers. I would also pick Gavin to do beat khan I they ever meet.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:01 am

If Gavin keeps progressing and takes to the next level he needs to go up like he has taken to turning pro he will be in a position to fight Khan in the next 2 years as long as he stays active.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 17 Apr 2011, 1:57 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I really think that Billy Joe is going to be a superstar If his hands hold up. The three olympians have the same style when they fight and i think it's ideal for the pro game, hit your opponents without taking too many shots. Degale is the silkiest, gvin is the most accurate and saunders is the hardest hitter.

I also think that kell brook could still make the big time. He has a new promoter who hopefully put him against tougher opponents than frank gave him. He could be a world champion but never #1 at WW.

Gavin and degale are the standouts of the bunch. Both are going to be multiple weight champions and top p4pers. I would also pick Gavin to do beat khan I they ever meet.

I dont see Saunders being the hardest hitter. Maybe his hands have played a role though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

World level, win a WBO or WBA belt but he needs to step up and fight against better opposition a eliminator against Mike Jones would be a cracking fight.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by hitmansam Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

All standard. Brook is the best in Britain.

hitmansam

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:14 pm

hitmansam wrote:All standard. Brook is the best in Britain.

I'm not that sold on Brook. His fight with Kennings had more posing than fighting. I am yet to see him with a semi decent fighter. Like many Wincobank fighters, they are good defensively, very awkward but offer little offensively. Naz and Graham are obvious exceptions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:18 pm

I like Brook a couple of years ago I thought he was the next big thing but his career has stalled and that could affect him in the long term. Hope he gets going now he is with matchroom. He wanted the Khan fight don't know why they chose McCloskey over him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 17 Apr 2011, 2:20 pm

azania wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:I really think that Billy Joe is going to be a superstar If his hands hold up. The three olympians have the same style when they fight and i think it's ideal for the pro game, hit your opponents without taking too many shots. Degale is the silkiest, gvin is the most accurate and saunders is the hardest hitter.

I dont see Saunders being the hardest hitter. Maybe his hands have played a role though.

degale has poor power IMO, he wears his opponents down with flurries. Gavin looks a harder hitter because of his accuracy and speed but he also grinds his opponents out. Saunders imo looks like he really plants his feet and his punches sound painful.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 17 Apr 2011, 3:02 pm

I think De Gale is a decent puncher not a spectacular 1 punch KO fighter though. Gavin can hit but doesn't waste many so looks a better puncher. KOs aren't his game he is happier outboxing and getting the stoppage if it's on the cards. Saunders does look a puncher but his hand trouble is a worry. FMJ had a similar problem and has found a way around it but never threw big punches like Saunders.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down