The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest comeback

+8
Shifty
LordDowlais
BigTrevsbigmac
majesticimperialman
gowales
LondonTiger
whocares
ChequeredJersey
12 posters

Go down

Greatest comeback Empty Greatest comeback

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

So, after eventually finding a pub with ESPN, I had the pleasure of watching Wasps-Quins. Whilst I am disappointed by our defence and general play in the first half and am not sure we deserved to win that, I am also ecstatic at the quality of rugby later on and the fact we somehow won the match. Commiserations Wasps, other sides are going to struggle if you can keep that up all game!

My point is, what is in your opinion the most impressive comeback you have seen on a rugby pitch? We all love them, and feel free to include INT matches too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Greatest comeback Empty Re: Greatest comeback

Post by whocares Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

the leinster come back against northampton 2 years ago in the hc final is probably up there amongst the greatest in the pro era...

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:31 am

whocares wrote:the leinster come back against northampton 2 years ago in the hc final is probably up there amongst the greatest in the pro era...

agreed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sun 02 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

Wales v Scotland 2010

Not the greatest, but up there

Edit: oh wait that's not a club game...

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 02 Sep 2012, 11:34 am

Wasps and Scotland played a large part in their own downfall.

Saints were blameless, Leinster were just sublime in the second half. Northampton's performance was the best 40 minutes I have ever seen by a club in the HC. Then leinster went and topped it in the second half.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 02 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

I dont think that i have ever seen a team come back like Quins did yesterday, what with Wasp being 20 point up in the first half like that.

Did Wasp lose the game by not closing the game out early in the second hald half, or did Quins just simply pull their shorts up and say enough is enough. We have to play better, we can play better, and we must play better.

Lets give full credit to Quins for fighting back like they did.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 02 Sep 2012, 1:07 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont think that i have ever seen a team come back like Quins did yesterday, what with Wasp being 20 point up in the first half like that.

Did Wasp lose the game by not closing the game out early in the second hald half, or did Quins just simply pull their shorts up and say enough is enough. We have to play better, we can play better, and we must play better.

Lets give full credit to Quins for fighting back like they did.

Yes great comeback by Quins.
But as I stated in another post it was IMO no coincidence that 2 of our best tacklers Haskell & Massi both went off around the 60 min mark.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 02 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

Wales V Argentina in the late 90's in Argentina for me, Wales were dead and burried at half time but came out the second half like a locomotive and won, there were fights galore as the Argies didn't like it and even the benches were fighting, most lately though it has to be Northampton and Leinster HC final.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 02 Sep 2012, 2:03 pm

Wales V England in 1999 was probably one of the all time best. England squad players were in the process of asking the Wembley stadium management which side to line up on those famous steps, to recieve the Grand slam. When Scott Gibbs scored a try and Jenkins converted to deny them the slam and send the 5 Nations trophy to Scotland.

Probably the greatest ever come back if you can call it that was the 2000 game between Australia and New Zealand played at Sidney.

New Zealand actually scored 3 tries in the first 5 minutes!.

During the game Australia clawed their way back to lead 35-34, until Jonah Lomu scored winning try in the 3rd minute of injury time.

Just watch the game to be honest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoO_5MvZ0w&feature=player_embedded#!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 02 Sep 2012, 2:23 pm

From the games that I have seen

1. Leinster vs Northampton HC Final
2. Wales vs Scotland 2010
3. Cardiff Blues vs Leicester HC Semi Final (Blues losing on penalty shootout)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 02 Sep 2012, 6:26 pm

Little known these days but he biggest comeback I recall is the Abs down 31- 9 with 20 minutes remaining vs quagga barbarians in 1976 tour of SA.

ABs came back to win 32-31 with a corner try and conversion at the death. At the time we were heading for our most humiliating loss in our history. Listened to it live on radio as a kid. Still recall it tody.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:36 pm

I really enjoyed the Rabbo final at the RDS end of last season. Agree the Leinster Saints match was fantastic to watch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Mon 03 Sep 2012, 5:49 am

There are returns from bigger points defecits, but I think France v New Zealand in the 1999 World Cup Semi-final is worth mentioning in this sort of company in terms of turning the tide and dominating (producing possibly the greatest WC game of all time).

France had lost 54-7 in Wellington earlier in the year and come last in that year's Five Nations. With half an hour to go in the WC SF they were 24-10 behind, but came back at a point a minute to win 31-43.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down