The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Underachievers for 2012??

+2
two_tone
Gordy
6 posters

Go down

Big Underachievers for 2012?? Empty Big Underachievers for 2012??

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:31 pm

My picks would be Liverpool and Tottenham.

Liverpool have gambled on a new manager after sacking one of their most beloved idols. Such a move will always divide fans between those who think Daglish should have been given more time and those that felt the game had passed him by and he had squandered investment on average players. The new manager does not appear to have been backed financially and has overseen his squad being shrunk. I dont see the new manager being a success and a good start was crucial which hasnt really happened. Unless results come fast the pressure will boil over and he will be seen as easy to sack as a gamble gone wrong. I think they will finish mid table.

Tottenham have brought in AVB who failed his first premier league test with Chelsea. He is young and failed to establish control and respect over an experienced Chelsea side. His man and squad management has been questioned. At Spurs he has overseen the departure of the likes of Modric, Van de Vaart, Jenas and the retirement of King. Some new faces have come in, but not the same quality as those that have gone. I dont see this year being a success for Spurs although it seems unclear what their ambition is. I think AVB will be on too much money to sack immediately unless reslts are terrible but I do not see Spurs getting into Europe this year.

Who are you picks?

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Big Underachievers for 2012?? Empty Re: Big Underachievers for 2012??

Post by two_tone Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:42 pm

Am I actually reading a half sensible post from Gordy? Next we will be having Josieh Mateias praising Man United!

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:43 pm

Is Liverpool finishing mid-table 'under-achieving'?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 2:46 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Is Liverpool finishing mid-table 'under-achieving'?

Good point. But I would say expectation are to get into Europe. Kenny Daglish came 8th and was sacked and I cant see Liverpool getting any higher than that this year so I would say mid table is under acheiving for them.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:01 pm

lol i knew youd say spurs, despite finishing 4th!!!!! id call it over achieving for a club who util recent years were consistent mid tablers. next youll be saying norwich are underachieving because they arent pushing on from a mid table finish

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

Depends how you mean underachieving. Liverpool are a mid table side at this point, hard to argue any better based on their squad.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

right and wrong i think gsc. they are a club who should be challenging at the top plus theyve spent stupid amounts of money in recent season but on young or average players. at the end of the day, they are underachieving. i think villa should be added to the list. theyve spent big in recent years, and then just let them go again or sold their best players. very poorly run club.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinedine_Ze_Zebra Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:25 pm

Liverpool are underachieving. agree with JamesLincs in that LFC are a club who want CL football, top four finish so based on what they set their target at they are underachieving.

Zinedine_Ze_Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:36 pm

Mid table would be underachieving for Tottenham this year and that is where they will come. AVB is an overrated manager and their squad is not as good as it was last year.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Sep 2012, 3:49 pm

I think it is a bit too soon to be judging Spurs as someone rightly posted that they have finished in the last 3 seasons 4/5/4. They have had to overcome some pretty poor managers in their time Gross, Hoddle, Ramos.

Liverpool again need time but have underachieved more than Spurs. Last 3 seasons finishing 7/6/8. You kind of feel for them as many of their best players tend to head for the exit door in recent times. I think they have invested quite poorly in the transfer markets gone by. I hope Rodgers can get them up and fighting. Season is only 3 weeks old. Should've beaten City and had a poor day at the office with WBA and Arsenal. Making some big errors on field which really impact results.

Both clubs need time with their new coaches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down